Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

That's probably the fish in your bum. Pro tip: use sardines, not swordfish.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

While I agree doing a 17 hour ironman isn't exactly difficult for someone in decent shape, try doing 7 in a row let alone 50. The swim and bike wouldn't be terrible if I had nothing else to do, but I couldn't imagine running a marathon 50 days in a row. I've done an 84 mile run followed by a marathon the next, and couldn't walk the third day.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]

rjrankin wrote:
While I agree doing a 17 hour ironman isn't exactly difficult for someone in decent shape, try doing 7 in a row let alone 50. The swim and bike wouldn't be terrible if I had nothing else to do, but I couldn't imagine running a marathon 50 days in a row. I've done an 84 mile run followed by a marathon the next, and couldn't walk the third day.

Completely away from this thread but on the notion of the run in an Ironman, even if you didn't a WTC ironman event and got off the bike at the cutoff (10.5 hours in) you would need to "run" that marathon in 6.5 hours or just under 15 minute miles.

Not taking anything away from anyone, but "running the marathon" can be wildly different on the body. Completing 26.2 miles on a light jog/walk isn't nearly as demanding as running 26.2.

In the context of her endeavor taking all 17 hours (if she sets this standard) that doesn't allow for less time to sleep, transition to next race location.

Hell even if she ran 10k and walked the remainder she could get back 30-45 minutes just by doing that and not really smashing the body as she would by running 26.2.

But lets say she does all 50 Ironmans in 50 days. And she does it as a 2.4 mile, 112 bike, and a 26.2 walk (run), or she runs a 5k a day and walks the rest. Will ST out for her for not doing an IM, or say she claims something that she didn't do?

Sometimes I think ST are harsher on the public then themselves or their peers.
Last edited by: CU427: Jul 15, 18 17:54

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]

People talking about prospective......I'm going to bold your statement that puts it all in prospective for me atleast, even if people suggest she "walk" the whole thing....

but I couldn't imagine running a marathon 50 days in a row.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

B_Doughtie wrote:
People talking about prospective......I'm going to bold your statement that puts it all in prospective for me atleast, even if people suggest she "walk" the whole thing....

but I couldn't imagine running a marathon 50 days in a row.

My 70-something mother through-hikes the PCT, etc, averaging around a marathon distance per day. And that's offroad, usually with a lot of climbing.

Of course zero swimming/biking in that. But walking 26 miles per day isn't that hard. You just have to keep walking.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [trail] [ In reply to ]

When she gets to 7 completed with no "issues" get back to me...until then I will consider this almost like GJ's quest for gold medal in marathon running. Way more PR fluff than any real substance, and if she throws in the towel whenever and still continues after taking a break, good on her. Or if she makes it 50 straight IM's in 50 days, even better, I mean that is after all the easy peasy achievement, right???

ETA: Get back to me how she's feeling when she walks 7 hours for a marathon after already exercising 10 straight hours of swimming and biking...get back to me how "easy" that will be day after day...again 50 straight days of that......

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 15, 18 17:55

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

Ur mean.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

Again you're using the context of ONE Ironman. Walking 26.2 miles after a week straight of Ironman's IS GOING TO HURT! I run a 2:50 marathon, and the day after running 84 miles at what I thought was a comfortable pace, I limped a 6:07 marathon and it was the most painful experience I've volunteered myself to do. Again, swim and bike, no problem. Go run a couple marathon's in consecutive days, then come back and let us know how it feels. I mean it's just a 15 min/mi. Should be easy. All of that is ignoring the logistics involved in traveling between races and how uncomfortable that's going to be. Also ignoring the fact that her strava doesn't even show any endurance run training the last month.

Yes, there will be no "saving" the body by walking the marathon in this adventure. And absolutely if she walks the marathon, she'll get kudos from me, I dont care how she does it....I just want to see what she reports each day. I say that because again what she is attempting is impossible. Or so damn close to impossible, that THIS athlete is the one to do it? Yawn........And that isn't trying to be mean, that's understand the physicality of this event. Like I said she's going to run (or walk) a marathon a day for 50 days AFTER exercising for likely 8-10 hours each day. At some point something in her body is going to stop working, but by saying that am I mean or a "hater"? If so....sorrry....not sorry.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

CaptainCanada wrote:
I agree.

The other thing that ST is rife with is people that get all butt hurt about people thinking that triathlon is not all that hard. Like How Dare She think that she can complete something like this. It insults all the people that work so hard blah blah blah.

Here is the reality. Completing a 140.6 whilst going very slowly is not all that difficult. My first I did in 13 hours and change and I can't even imagine going any slower. If I was really taking my time I could have walked almost the whole marathon and still made the cutoff.

There is nothing sacred about Ironman. It's just a long day of exercise.

I couldn’t give a rats azz

You are clueless why some are callIng her out on what she said.

It’s the same as if someone said they were going to do 3 simultaneous backflips on a balance beam for 24 hours straight.

I’ve never done a back flip and never been on a balance beam but I still know she ain’t going to do it and if she was using it the way she is unsing Ironman 50 in 50

Yeah apparently being realistic makes a person a "hater". I'll be the first person to come and admit I was wrong should she do it. BUT I won't accept a verbal "I did it". It isn't hard to hit start/finish on a GPS watch, then the damn things upload via bluetooth anymore. I still think she'd raise the same amount of money for the orphanage if she just did a single Ironman and used social media to push the charity for 6 months to a year though. She decided to go over the top and open herself up to the scrutiny. I'd be curious to know how she's funding 2 months of traveling to do the stunts. I know she's got sponsors, but doubt they're footing the bill.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

CU427 wrote:
I doubt she gives 2 shits about what ST says or thinks. Her success is measured in Instagram likes and followers.

FTFY

The only thing that will bug me about events like this....just be real with what you do....like don't lie and make it a success simply because you need to make it a success (that's essentially what IC has done)....if she takes a break after 3 days or 20 days or 38 days or stops running the full marathon but keeps going.....good on her. Just be up front with what's going on. That I think is the beef with this whole issue, and was the whole issue with Iron Cowboy. He fibbed what he did because he physically couldn't complete what he said he would. But he can say whatever the hell he wants to claim, just like we can call BS on his claims. There's no animosity in that, it's simply calling out what you are; nothing more, nothing less.

Her is an athlete who at best has some likely great fitness, but likely very little endurance specificity to take on this challenge with any serious threat of actually completing it WITHOUT butchering the likely "acceptable" standards. And I'm not even referencing the IM time standards....I'm simply talking about swimming 2.4mi, biking 112mi, and running 26.2mi every day for 50 days......I can gurantee you there will be some compromises along the way, and if that happens, no problem....just simply re-group, adjust the challenge and keep on trucking.

So that to me why ST is in a uproar about this event. This challenge is nearly impossible, and it's been shown to be nearly impossible. I just don't see how she can do this event without compromises that will then question the "validity" of 50/50 claim. And if all the people who are saying, who are we to judge the validity, then fair enough, then I think we then have to accept whatever she wants to claim, just like what IC is claiming....

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 15, 18 18:52

rjrankin wrote:
Again you're using the context of ONE Ironman. Walking 26.2 miles after a week straight of Ironman's IS GOING TO HURT! I run a 2:50 marathon, and the day after running 84 miles at what I thought was a comfortable pace, I limped a 6:07 marathon and it was the most painful experience I've volunteered myself to do. Again, swim and bike, no problem. Go run a couple marathon's in consecutive days, then come back and let us know how it feels. I mean it's just a 15 min/mi. Should be easy. All of that is ignoring the logistics involved in traveling between races and how uncomfortable that's going to be. Also ignoring the fact that her strava doesn't even show any endurance run training the last month.

Going back to my original comments for context..
"Completely away from this thread but on the notion of the run in an Ironman, even if you didn't a WTC ironman event and got off the bike at the cutoff (10.5 hours in) you would need to "run" that marathon in 6.5 hours or just under 15 minute miles. "

Correct, I was using the context one ONE Ironman.

Walking 26.2 after a week straight of doing Ironman's will hurt. Walking 26.2 miles each day with swimming, biking in between won't hurt as much. Simply put walking is less impactful on the body then running and can assist in active recovery versus running 26.2. Now for 50 days straight that is a different story.

Limping a 6:07 marathon after running 84 miles is different from walking 26.2 after 2.4 swim and 112 bike also sounds stupid, not sure why you would do that.

I don't plan to run marathons on back to back days, that seems stupid as well.

Walking back to back marathons in back to back days? Not hard and I have seen very untrained people do it.

Maybe this is all a PR stunt, maybe she is doing this to "boost likes" on social media, or maybe she is doing this simply to gain attention to raise money. Her social media presence does not differ much from triathletes from what I have seen in her instagram. She posts selfies or herself working our, pushes products, pretty much right on with what triathletes do.

Is what she doing impossible? Just about. Has she claimed she has done it? No.

If she does it modified then I say call her a cheater whatever I would as well. If she modifies on the go and recognizes it all the while doing something positive then what really is to "hate"?
Last edited by: CU427: Jul 15, 18 19:01

rjrankin wrote:
I'd be curious to know how she's funding 2 months of traveling to do the stunts. I know she's got sponsors, but doubt they're footing the bill.

I don't know. Ask her?

Maybe she is doing a GoFundMe campaign like the Kona qualifiers do in triathlon.

I’m confused on your stance on this. Walking 26 miles is easy, we agree. Walking 1300 miles in 50 days isn’t. I feel like you’re implying it’ll be tough but isn’t a feat itself?

The point of mentioning my run was to state that even an easy jog/walk hurts when compounded. It was stupid, but was for charity as well.

I would actually say walking 26.2 miles every single day is going to be more impactful on her than run/walking because of the time on her feet and the time away from "recovery". And no I dont think walking 26.2 miles on that type of fatigue is called "active recovery", or shall I say the amount of time she loses to staying on her feet defeats the whole "active recovery part.

Now at some point I think in an adventure like this "walking" isn't the same as what we think walking is. IE- at some point your walking not because you are doing it for "recovery" but because that's all you can do. When you are at that point, there is no recovering being done. It's just pain.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

B_Doughtie wrote:
I would actually say walking 26.2 miles every single day is going to be more impactful on her than run/walking because of the time on her feet and the time away from "recovery". And no I dont think walking 26.2 miles on that type of fatigue is called "active recovery", or shall I say the amount of time she loses to staying on her feet defeats the whole "active recovery part.

Now at some point I think in an adventure like this "walking" isn't the same as what we think walking is. IE- at some point your walking not because you are doing it for "recovery" but because that's all you can do. When you are at that point, there is no recovering being done. It's just pain.

Well yes every single day for 50 days would be different as I eluded to in my post.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]

ericmulk wrote:

She clearly has zero concept of even how to cheat w/o being blatantly obvious about it. She seems prone to gross exaggeration as in an earlier post she said she and her partner had just ridden 100 mi in 4 hrs, to which he replied "ummm, actually more like 5 and 1/2 hrs". Clearly he had not been schooled in her school of exaggeration. :)

Strava shows this 4 hour, turned 5.5 hour 100 mile ride to be 7:22:57 in elapsed time:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1670265442

Sorry that is a 7.4 hour ride in my book.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]

Well there you go. She's only going to count her moving time for the 50/50. Totally legit. Is /pink still a thing?

CU427 wrote:
Well yes every single day for 50 days would be different as I eluded to in my post.

Seems the proper usage of "alluded" eludes you.

-E, sorry

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]

Stelvio wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

She clearly has zero concept of even how to cheat w/o being blatantly obvious about it. She seems prone to gross exaggeration as in an earlier post she said she and her partner had just ridden 100 mi in 4 hrs, to which he replied "ummm, actually more like 5 and 1/2 hrs". Clearly he had not been schooled in her school of exaggeration. :)

Strava shows this 4 hour, turned 5.5 hour 100 mile ride to be 7:22:57 in elapsed time:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1670265442
Sorry that is a 7.4 hour ride in my book.
Quote:

100 mi/7.4hr = 13.5 mph, which is what i would expect from a weight trainer who does very little aerobic exercise. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]

She released her schedule on instagram. She also mentions she’s looking for an RV and a dedicated driver. Maybe it’s just me but it seems like you should have these things lined up more than a month in advance.

August
15th Virginia Beach, VA
16th Salisbury MD
17th Harrington DE
18th East Brunswick NJ
19th Clinton CT
20th Warwick RI
21st Plainville MA
22nd Portsmouth NH
23rd York ME
24th West Brattleboro VT
25th Albany, NY
26th Allentown, PA
27th Morganton, WV
28th Lexington KY
29th Cincy OH
30th Indianapolis IN
31st Kalamazoo MI
September
1st Chicago, ILL
2nd Madison WIS
3rd Rochester MIN
4th Des Moines IOWA
5th North KC, MO
6th Salina KS
7th North Platte, NE
8th Pierre, SD
9th Bismarck ND
10th billings MT
11th Jackson WYO
12th Boise ID
13th Kennewick WA
14th Klamath Falls OR
15th Fresno CA
16th LAsVegas NV (Olympia)
17th Flagstaff AR
18th Bluff, UT
19th Trinidad, CO
20th Santa Fe, NM
21st Armarillo, TX
22nd Tulsa, OK
23rd Little Rock, AR
24th Memphis, TN
25th Monroe, LA
26th Jackson, MS
27th Montgomery AL
28th ATLANTA, GA
29th Charlotte, NC
30th Columbia, SC
October
1st Jacksonville, FL

Matt

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]

Fresno and Las Vegas mid september? That cannot be for real, or at least outdoors. It will be hot as balls. I don't see it being feasible at all.

She is just jerking everyone around.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]

Is she going to start her race in VB by riding through the bay bridge tunnels to get to the eastern shore of VA/MD?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Prev Next