Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Fishbum wrote:
No one's disputing that raising money for Orphans is a bad thing. However failure defined as fallen short of one's goals which she said she's going to do 50 Ironmans in 50 days shortening each event not completing the event within the allotted time or any other variation of 140. 6 Mi is failure.

That is your definition. She's not competing for a sanctioned title so I think success is negotiable. So say over the course of 55 days she "completes" 50 events with an average mileage of 138.9 miles and raises $500k for an orphanage. This is a failure to you?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

Lol. PR stunt. Not saying she's not doing a good thing I just possibly question her motives. I think you need to separate her fundraising from the 50/50 claim.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Fishbum wrote:
Lol. PR stunt. Not saying she's not doing a good thing I just possibly question her motives. I think you need to separate her fundraising from the 50/50 claim.

NO NO....they are tightly coupled. Let's say I raise money for orphans in Nepal or in India. I could just say, "hey, I know these orphans, give me your money and I will collect money from you and give it to their local school, get the school internet access, get them tablets and bring them into the internet age".

I can assure you if I went out to my network, almost no one would give me money. There are plenty of orphans who need better education.

But let's say I want to raise money for those orphans and climb Everest. Suddenly my fundraising ability will go up 10-20x even though I fund my entire Everest expedition with my OWN money and give the exact same donor money to the orphans. But my donors would expect me to climb Everest legit. No cheating, no helicopter rides, no going to camp 4 and saying I did the summit.

I personally have a beef with people tying fundraising to personal selfish achievement. I'm all for self personal athletic pursuits, but I always question when the selfish athletic pursuits happen on the backs of a "good cause". Personally I am happy if someone wants to do any insanely personal athletic pursuit and I am happy when they also donate to a cause with "nothing in it for them".

It's when people use a cause to do a selfish personal pursuit, that I actually have cognitive dissonace about the entire pursuit.....I'm basically thinking, "you're full of shit, you would never care about said orphans or whoever, you just want to do the fun athletic thing".

So when someone markets that they are going to do something superlatively athletic to raise money for XYZ, I'm scrutinizing the claim, because they are claiming to do something to fund a personal pursuit of selfishness.

If she just claimed she was going to do 50/50/50 "just because it sounds hard", then I'm not paying any attention. If she's claiming to do 50/50/50 and raising money for something while covering the expedition, then the scrutiny is higher.....and it becomes tightly coupled.

Having said all that, I really want her to hit the athletic achievement legitimately. That would be ultra cool. And I want her to do it legit for both athletic purposes and for the authenticity of the entire enterprise that she's launched.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

CaptainCanada wrote:
...And it will satisfy nobody on ST.

Nobody on ST is ever satisfied.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

But......... She is probably one of those people who are just full of shit....IMO

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]

Is this her? https://www.strava.com/athletes/32231287

If so, then I am gonna go 1 and done.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]

Yep based on her recent ride to Oklahoma, that’s her!
Last edited by: rjrankin: Jul 14, 18 18:51

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]

How are people defending her?

The fact that she is selling this is just effing ridiculous.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment

On July 1st she swam 7,026 yards in 28 minutes. Well, it’s not even humanly possible. I wonder why she never corrected the data? She doesn’t have any good swim, bike or run results whatsoever. She looks like a BOP at best.

I can’t say I’ll be supporting her in her circle jerk publicity stunt. I can’t get behind these sorry efforts for a self endorsed world class athlete.

rjrankin wrote:
Yep based on her recent ride to Oklahoma, that’s her! Same person that allegedly ran 300+ miles in 72 hours, allegedly!

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]

Haha I hadn't seen that. I followed her socials when she ran across Haiti and couldn't get an answer about GPS data. I don't think she even comprehends how hard running 80 miles a day for 3 days would be (Sorry I said 300 earlier but double checked and it was allegedly 230 miles). I don't understand why people just can't raise money for a charity. She has the social media following she could do some stunt and easily raise the money. Just do an Ironman.

Good gracious she is such a fraud. I’ve gone from indifference to hoping she fails in the most embarrassing fashion. Since when is she an “expert” running coach? This woman’s self-perception and ego have no limits.

alex_korr wrote:
The fact that she is selling this is just effing ridiculous.

I don’t know if she’s a veteran but she plays heavily into veteran/patriotism

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]

mwanner13 wrote:
On July 1st she swam 7,026 yards in 28 minutes. Well, it’s not even humanly possible. I wonder why she never corrected the data? She doesn’t have any good swim, bike or run results whatsoever. She looks like a BOP at best.

I can’t say I’ll be supporting her in her circle jerk publicity stunt. I can’t get behind these sorry efforts for a self endorsed world class athlete.

rjrankin wrote:
Yep based on her recent ride to Oklahoma, that’s her! Same person that allegedly ran 300+ miles in 72 hours, allegedly!

She clearly has zero concept of even how to cheat w/o being blatantly obvious about it. She seems prone to gross exaggeration as in an earlier post she said she and her partner had just ridden 100 mi in 4 hrs, to which he replied "ummm, actually more like 5 and 1/2 hrs". Clearly he had not been schooled in her school of exaggeration. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."

rjrankin wrote:
I don’t know if she’s a veteran but she plays heavily into veteran/patriotism

She lived in Guam as a military spouse and started her fitness business catering to other military spouses and military in general.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 14, 18 19:52

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]

On July 1st she swam 7,026 yards in 28 minutes.

Yeah but she decided to change the accepted measures. To you and all those who can't accept flexibility, a yard is a yard but to her it is really half the distance so she ran 7,026 yards as she defines them which would be 3,013 in your yards.

And, her minute isn't 60 seconds. Since it's her post, she decided to change a minute to 120 seconds so it's really 56 minutes.

More importantly, why do you hate orphaned children?
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 14, 18 21:55

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Hence why I can’t support her efforts (if you want to call it such). Her data is wrong and when it’s right it is below average.

Sanuk wrote:

Yeah but she decided to change the accepted measures. To you and all those who can't accept flexibility, a yard is a yard but to her it is really half the distance so she ran 7,026 yards as she defines them which would be 3,013 in your yards.

And, her minute isn't 60 seconds. Since it's her post, she decided to change a minute to 120 seconds so it's really 56 minutes.

More importantly, why do you hate orphaned children?

Fishbum wrote:

A reporter looked at people who do large scale endeavours (like biking across Canada, for example) and found that with a few exceptions the people would be better off getting a job for the time and donating their salary. They don't tend to raise much money.

I have to wonder if she's taking from the donations to sustain herself during her attempt. Power Gels aren't free, after all.

This is just self-promotion. I question how much of it is to raise money, and how much of it is to raise her number of Instagram followers.

mwanner13 wrote:

Must have been at the IM Chattanooga swim venue.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"

CaptainCanada wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
No one's disputing that raising money for Orphans is a bad thing. However failure defined as fallen short of one's goals which she said she's going to do 50 Ironmans in 50 days shortening each event not completing the event within the allotted time or any other variation of 140. 6 Mi is failure.

That is your definition. She's not competing for a sanctioned title so I think success is negotiable. So say over the course of 55 days she "completes" 50 events with an average mileage of 138.9 miles and raises $500k for an orphanage. This is a failure to you?

It's ST, these people will voice their displeasure at anyone that does not complete 140.6 miles as set by the standard of swim, bike, run outside and recorded digitally. That is the standard even though Ironman themselves change the standards by each race, time allowed, course measurements, etc. (IM Frankfurt was had a long bike, Chattanooga has current assisted swim).

I doubt she gives 2 shits about what ST says or thinks. Her success is measured in her own way.

The irony I find in all this as how the Ironman race came to be and what the first race was all about and how far we have veered away from that mindset or preparation. The originals literally threw 3 races together to "see if it could be completed" and now people not only don't believe others, but bet against them, etc if they don't complete "the standard". Yet to them it might be about setting out for a challenge, seeing if they can complete it, and giving their absolute best.

I say let her give it her best. If she doesn't complete it and claims she did well then its different, But if she comes up short, but gives her best and recognizes the effort as such, well what is so wrong with that?
Last edited by: CU427: Jul 15, 18 14:07

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

Point taken but........her claims on the ride and swim times recently are not helping the cause!

Fishbum wrote:
Point taken but........her claims on the ride and swim times recently are not helping the cause!

Never said it didn't. But I always try to use some perspective on this.

For example, someone mentioned that she did "x" miles in 5.5 hours but she thought it was 4 hours, I guess it was recorded on video?

I remember going back to when I first started in the sport, didn't have all these gadgets and sometimes the fatigue got to me, I can empathize how fatigue would make me think it took less time, I rode further, etc. Hell people can't do simple math at the end of these events.

I haven't seen any of her strava, but my gadgets have at times wonked out, or other variables have been in play to dramatically change the numbers.

I am not saying she is innocent at all, I just feel people are out with their pitchforks when she really hasn't done anything yet to really hurt anyone or to have this attempt be a fraud.
Last edited by: CU427: Jul 15, 18 15:46

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

I agree.

The other thing that ST is rife with is people that get all butt hurt about people thinking that triathlon is not all that hard. Like How Dare She think that she can complete something like this. It insults all the people that work so hard blah blah blah.

Here is the reality. Completing a 140.6 whilst going very slowly is not all that difficult. My first I did in 13 hours and change and I can't even imagine going any slower. If I was really taking my time I could have walked almost the whole marathon and still made the cutoff.

There is nothing sacred about Ironman. It's just a long day of exercise.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]

MadTownTRI wrote:
I think she'll make it 10ish (still an incredible accomplishment) before breaking down.

Last year im the UK a guy did a genuine 7 in 7 days (finishing with the Outlaw. He said to a friend of mine part way around that last Mara that he was utterly exhausted. He was a fit guy, knew what wmhe was going etc.

So agree 50 sounds far fetched unless as folks indicate, its modified such that it's not really 50 IMs. But I look forward to being proven totally wrong.

Your comments make my butt hurt.

Prev Next