Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

I think that is a good strategy.

Anyone know if she has a start date or places she is doing it? Checked her site but didnt see anything. I know a couple people went out and rode or ran with Iron Cowboy. There are plenty of FL twitchers that could verify/help with her second IM that way.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

devashish_paul wrote:

I bet she can sustain the 15 hour daily rate for 7-10 days IF she does not overcook the first few days and do them in 12-13 hours. If she digs a recovery hole early in the endeavor, then I think she is done. Beyond 7-10 days is another story. Immune system and other organ functions will be substantially hammered. It is why some 1 week stage racer studs cannot win the Tour de France or Giro. They don't have 3 week physiology.
And they're averaging less than 200 TSS per day, versus easily >400 per day for an iron distance day when taking it really slowly.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [windschatten] [ In reply to ]

windschatten wrote:
Does IRONMAN map out or support Ashley Horner's "events"?
I am curious what IRONMAN lawyers have to say about this.

Personally, my ego wouldn't be bruised at all if she claimed what she didn't do....it would actually strengthen my moral and ethical compass.

I am convinced (and so far it looks like I am right) that large Corporations will kill Triathlon as an competitive sport, with one of the reasons being the watering down of real athletic accomplishments.

Fine by me, BTW.
Go Ashley, go!
(and don't forget the headphones!)"

Going to bed, got an Irondistance race tomorrow.

Are we all going by the USA today article? If so then any mention of the brand name there is not in quote marks. As far as we know the athlete herself phrased it perfectly in exactly the way we are all too familiar with having to do. But maybe the journalist involved doesn't understand the distinction and missed the subtleties involved. So any trademark issue would then be purely with the 'newspaper like reading material' company themselves. And they just print a tiny retraction somewhere no-one sees for far worse than that.

I have the same doubts as others about being able to do it but let's just say 'nah, don't see i but good luck' and leave it at that.

BTW IMHO just sleeping in a traveling RV itself adds huge difficulty. They aren't going to find great routes all the time meaning she will have traffic issues when running and cycling that add to the stress as well.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]

If the idea is to get as many donations as possible this is what I would do

Half Ironman a day for 50 days WITH the support of Ironman comprate as well as corporate sponsors

Such as hilton hotels, rent a camper, camping world, 24 hour fitness, gaterade etc etc it really COULD be huge but not the way it SEEMS shens going to do it

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [adambeston] [ In reply to ]

adambeston wrote:
I think that is a good strategy.

Anyone know if she has a start date or places she is doing it? Checked her site but didnt see anything. I know a couple people went out and rode or ran with Iron Cowboy. There are plenty of FL twitchers that could verify/help with her second IM that way.

Her first and last events are in Haiti. That is a huge puzzle logistically. Both flying in/out with tight timelines as well as safely navigating any type of ride or run. The easiest transport would be if someone donates private air so she would go through different customs check than commercial. And have a predictable departure. I’ve never been on a commercial flight that left Port au Prince on time.

The course in Haiti will almost certainly have to be small loops just for safety. Haiti is an unpredictable place as evidenced by the ongoing riots over fuel price increases. I can’t even fathom riding a bike on any roads I’ve driven on down there.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

Replying to the thread in general.

Can she ride the trainer, or elliptical while the RV is moving, for credit? Leaving out if she also has an IV in her arm.

Next question, does using a Vasa trainer count for the swim?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [fat] [ In reply to ]

fat wrote:

Can she ride the trainer, or elliptical while the RV is moving, for credit? Leaving out if she also has an IV in her arm.

Personally, I'd give credit for the trainer, treadmill, and a hypothetical endless pool (assuming all were set up correctly). Not elliptical, not Vasa.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Toby] [ In reply to ]

My bet is a max of 5 -6 ironman, not more

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Toby] [ In reply to ]

Toby wrote:
fat wrote:

Personally, I'd give credit for the trainer, treadmill, and a hypothetical endless pool (assuming all were set up correctly). Not elliptical, not Vasa.

Trainer would have to be on something like Zwift which does a reasonable job of translating watts to real world speed. E.g. The speed reading from my Kickr is determined by gear and cadence, not watts, so I can easily get a "speed" of 27+mph at power of 100W just by putting it in a high gear and spinning. I wouldn't give credit for that.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [P McCatty] [ In reply to ]

P McCatty wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Fishbum wrote:

RBR wrote:

LifeTri wrote:

She will complete it. No doubt.

Care to wager. Lol

Yeah I want in on this. I just don't see it happening.

Same offer I gave to RBR.
Loser swims a 10k.

I'm in. There is a 10k OWS not too far from me just in case, but that falls in the middle of the challenge *__* ... So far we have confirmed bets on the challenge:

Success:
Life Tri

Failure:
RBR
Fishbum
P McCatty

Official rules.
Ceiling: Legit 50 x 140.6 on 24h outdoors.
Floor: IC modifications (Treadmill, Trainer, Pool, etc), but at the very least, 50 consecutive days covering the distance.

I would propose that instead of a HARD 50 Success/Failure bet, that we CALL the failure point & the losers swim 10k. So if I call at 5 & she goes 6, I have to swim 10k. How does that sound?

This is getting fun.

Anyone else?
Last edited by: LifeTri: Jul 8, 18 19:06

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]

LifeTri wrote:
P McCatty wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Fishbum wrote:

RBR wrote:

LifeTri wrote:

Care to wager. Lol

Loser swims a 10k.

I'm in. There is a 10k OWS not too far from me just in case, but that falls in the middle of the challenge *__* ... So far we have confirmed bets on the challenge:

Success:
Life Tri

Failure:
RBR
Fishbum
P McCatty

Official rules.
Floor: IC modifications (Treadmill, Trainer, Pool, etc), but at the very least, 50 consecutive days covering the distance.

I would propose that instead of a HARD 50 Success/Failure bet, that we CALL the failure point & the losers swim 10k. So if I call at 5 & she goes 6, I have to swim 10k. How does that sound?

This is getting fun.

Anyone else?

Loser has to do a 10k swim? How is that enjoyable for the bet winners?

How about a FB live streamed 400IM, followed up by a 20k TT, and capped with a 5k run wearing a I heart Ashley Horner shirt.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

CU427 wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
P McCatty wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Fishbum wrote:

RBR wrote:

LifeTri wrote:

Care to wager. Lol

Loser swims a 10k.

Success:
Life Tri

Failure:
RBR
Fishbum
P McCatty

Official rules.

This is getting fun.

Anyone else?

How about a FB live streamed 400IM, followed up by a 20k TT, and capped with a 5k run wearing a I heart Ashley Horner shirt.

Does the loser get to wear pants?

I could logistically make this work, I think.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]

LifeTri wrote:
CU427 wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
P McCatty wrote:
LifeTri wrote:

Fishbum wrote:

RBR wrote:

LifeTri wrote:

Care to wager. Lol

Loser swims a 10k.

Success:
Life Tri

Failure:
RBR
Fishbum
P McCatty

Official rules.

This is getting fun.

Anyone else?

Does the loser get to wear pants?

I could logistically make this work, I think.

I love Ashley Horner shirt and jeans all the way through. The chafing would be unbearable!

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

You don't need to be a seasoned Ironman veteran with an long list of internet results to be able to be fit.

True but considering she is trying to do 50 Ironmans in 50 days, it wouldn't hurt. I'm not convinced that doing bench press and curls is going to help her a lot out on mile 20 of each day's run.

I think many on the internet community miss this.

I don't think we miss the fact that she's fit for the activity she does. The internet community just isn't convinced it's relevant for a triathlon.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Olu] [ In reply to ]

Jeez, the negativity and arrogance in this thread is unreal. How many of you have tried to raise this much money and awareness for a good cause?

I have, for an orphanage in the Philippines.

Even if she breaks even financially, she's bringing attention to a cause that's important to her (this thread would be case in point).

And people will forget about that cause 5 minutes after she's done. I also know that from personal experience.

Her goals are lofty, but not insurmountable.

That's the problem. Based on her background and the logistics, it is insurmountable.

Personally, I'll be following her journey and sending POSITIVE vibes.

Sending positive vibes is a copout (I had a few thousand people sending me positive vibes too). If you really want to support her, donate to her cause.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 9, 18 6:33

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

It's true...pure fitness can make you an elite triathlete let alone finish a bunch of ims in 16 hours...

After biking in the tdf.... wurf ran 90 minutes in his first 70.3 without running more than 10km.... Then he won a full ironman after that without any long runs... And then he biked alone with Froome for 3 months and then raced as a pro triathlete off the front... It's incredible!

I don't know if there are many other examples of people starting triathlon at elite level with just pure fitness and talent... Maybe Lance? Although he ran a few marathons first and did pro tri training in the past, so that's a slightly different

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [goldenkidd] [ In reply to ]

goldenkidd wrote:
My bet is a max of 5 -6 ironman, not more

My gut feel is that anyone who can complete a 12 hour IM can do 6 in a row as swim at 90% effort, get into T2 by 9 hours, over the marathon cover 18K jogging at 9 kph (two cumulative hours of running) and walk 24K @ 6kph. This provides a decent amount of time to get to "tomorrow" assuming "tomorrow" starts in the same place as today. She has the additional transport issue including getting from Haiti to Florida on day 1 which already adds a recovery penalty right out of the gate.

I'm fine with pool swims treadmill and stationary bikes as long as she's not posting some b******* 3 hour bike split.
We need to figure out how to monitor all of that. As for an over under how many she will do I'm not getting involved in that portion of the bet she just has to do 50 140 Point 6s in 50 days any modification of those numbers is a failure

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]

lacticturkey wrote:
It's true...pure fitness can make you an elite triathlete let alone finish a bunch of ims in 16 hours...

After biking in the tdf.... wurf ran 90 minutes in his first 70.3 without running more than 10km.... Then he won a full ironman after that without any long runs... And then he biked alone with Froome for 3 months and then raced as a pro triathlete off the front... It's incredible!

I don't know if there are many other examples of people starting triathlon at elite level with just pure fitness and talent... Maybe Lance? Although he ran a few marathons first and did pro tri training in the past, so that's a slightly different

Comparing her to Wurf is a stretch! There’s a reason why you don’t see many bulky weightlifter types in endurance sports

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [sneaker] [ In reply to ]

sneaker wrote:
Her first and last events are in Haiti. That is a huge puzzle logistically. Both flying in/out with tight timelines as well as safely navigating any type of ride or run. The easiest transport would be if someone donates private air so she would go through different customs check than commercial. And have a predictable departure. I’ve never been on a commercial flight that left Port au Prince on time.

The course in Haiti will almost certainly have to be small loops just for safety. Haiti is an unpredictable place as evidenced by the ongoing riots over fuel price increases. I can’t even fathom riding a bike on any roads I’ve driven on down there.

Where would she swim? Are there any suitable pools in Haiti?

I'm presuming she would start the swim at midnight on Day 1.

However, I'm not being nearly as presumptive as the thread title. :-/

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

ocean swim with GPS doing a bunch of out and back loops

Yes, that's an obvious solution from a logistics perspective, though considering it's likely she'll require a pre-dawn swim to make flights and bank some time on Day 1, 2.4 miles of solo ocean swimming isn't everyone's favorite activity, no matter how short the course.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:
Jeez, the negativity and arrogance in this thread is unreal. How many of you have tried to raise this much money and awareness for a good cause?

1. I have, for an orphanage in the Philippines.

Even if she breaks even financially, she's bringing attention to a cause that's important to her (this thread would be case in point).

2. And people will forget about that cause 5 minutes after she's done. I also know that from personal experience.

Her goals are lofty, but not insurmountable.

3. That's the problem. Based on her background and the logistics, it isn't insurmountable.

Personally, I'll be following her journey and sending POSITIVE vibes.

4. Sending positive vibes is a copout (I had a few thousand people sending me positive vibes too). If you really want to support her, donate to her cause.

1. One person. Any others?
2. 5 minutes is better then none
3. ?
4. Copout? I think not. Only an idiot throws money at every single cause they run into. I'll choose which causes I support and in what manner.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Olu] [ In reply to ]

3. ?

Edited for typo. I meant it is insurmountable given her background and the logistics of the goal.

I can drink 50 beers in 50 days...

Go ahead, someone say I can't do it and I am not trained enough. I dare you.
I will do this for charity too.
I will donate all the money to AA.

Prev Next