Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [malte] [ In reply to ]

malte wrote:
OMG. They're just days out from attempting to do 50 Ironmans in 50 days, and they're now asking for tips on bike setup, saddles, shoe rotation,...? I was initially thinking she'd maybe make it through the first week, but I think I'm with Fishbum now: Failure to launch...

Oh, she'll Launch, but not long after it will be "Challenger, go at throttle up" and ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

concern about ankles and feet being issues mentioned multiple times in facebook page.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

It's hard to tell, because they're not shown in a lot of pix, but she does appear to have smallish feet and narrow ankles

They may be strong as fuck to do those Olympic lifts without failing, but I think that carrying that much muscle around for even one marathon is a lot of repetitive stress to put on some small weight-bearing joints

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mickison] [ In reply to ]

mickison wrote:
concern about ankles and feet being issues mentioned multiple times in facebook page.

Foot care. Ultramarathon 101.

As one of my friends said in relation to runners being ready for their debut 150 miler, "If you ask them about their management plan for foot care and they hesitate when answering or don't know from experience what works for them, they're just not ready for the race."

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]

avagoyamug wrote:
Weird how far this PC crap has gone.

People now dictating to us who and why we are allowed to be attracted to.

Plenty of trans girls complaining that men arenā€™t attracted to them and therefore they and transphobic and have to work through their issues until they find them attractive.

Because of evolution most men are attracted to women with over 15-20% body fat due to ammenoreah being very common with lower body fat.

And most men arenā€™t attracted to overly muscly women because they look more like men.

Some men are attracted to these types and probably all men if they had no other choice but you shouldnā€™t get upset at men for saying who they find attractive. Especially when girls like this build their whole lives on wanting people to find them attractive.

Can I just state what we all know but no one will admit. I like tall blondes who are thin with a nice booty. That said - if society was like "screw all you skinny b*tches because hefty is the new hot" - I would jump on board. I would also be enjoying it. Cuddling with a hefty woman is so much better than cuddling with a stick. Don't deny it fella's - you dabbled before and you know I am right haha

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]

The remarks on the page are very telling to me

I believe her fans will support her just for making an effort

They are not concerned with actual distances, time, how the three disciplines are completed.

Just the idea of it and they are hooked and supportive

You know itā€™s all about the children

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

I watched her running on her treadmill yesterday.

This 10k swim bet isn't looking like a winner for me.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

satanellus wrote:
mickison wrote:

As one of my friends said in relation to runners being ready for their debut 150 miler, "If you ask them about their management plan for foot care and they hesitate when answering or don't know from experience what works for them, they're just not ready for the race."

That and "Beware the Chair" from what I've heard

#ultrarunnerwannbe

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

RBR wrote:
The remarks on the page are very telling to me

I believe her fans will support her just for making an effort

They are not concerned with actual distances, time, how the three disciplines are completed.

Just the idea of it and they are hooked and supportive

Her fans don't care. she should just call it 50 days of exercising 16 hours a day and she can do what she wants.

RBR wrote:

When everything is done, and she either completes the 50 Ironmans or not, we can audit her charity, as well

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

satanellus wrote:
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Looks like Lou Ferrigno in a one piece.

Really?
I don't think she looks much different - proportionally - than your better than average female swimmer

Her coach, on the other hand,

looks positively pachydemal

Neither hippos nor rhinos are pachyderms.

NOPE! I am giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one...
"Pachydermata (from two Greek words Ļ€Ī±Ļ‡ĻĻ‚ pachys, "thick" and Ī“ĪµĻĪ¼Ī± derma, "skin", meaning 'thick skin') is an obsolete order of mammals described by Gottlieb Storr, Georges Cuvier and others, at one time recognized by many systematists. Because it is polyphyletic, the order is no longer in use, but it is important in the history of systematics. Outside strict biological classification, the term "pachyderm" remains commonly used to describe elephants, rhinoceroses, and hippopotamuses.
Cuvier's Pachydermata included the three families of mammals he called Proboscidiana, Pachydermata Ordinaria, and Solipedes, all herbivorous.[1] They are now divided into the Proboscidea (represented among living species only by three species of elephants), the Perissodactyla (odd-toed ungulates, including horses, tapirs and rhinoceroses), the Suina (pigs and peccaries), the Hippopotamidae, and the Hyracoidea (hyraxes)"

concern about ankles and feet

It's called having a built in excuse. I'd bet anything that will come up as a reason she couldn't complete Ironman #2.

I wonder if she'll pull a Trump and use "heel spurs" as an excuse...

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:

It's called having a built in excuse. I'd bet anything that will come up as a reason she couldn't complete Ironman #2.

Was iron cowboy's issue just the elliptical day? I don't recall if there was more than one issue.

I seem to recall he was taking an IV while logging miles on a bike trainer. Cue the Ryan Lochte thread here.

satanellus wrote:
mickison wrote:

"The rotating size and style of bike shoes is an idea I honestly had not considered", quote from the FB page by the coach a couple of weeks from starting. These people just have no idea what they are about to get into, its even worse than I originally thought.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Jul 24, 18 10:05

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [chuy] [ In reply to ]

chuy wrote:
These people just have no idea what they are about to get into, its even worse than I originally thought.

To begin with the "charity" was really up in question til about half way, as some people did background checks on the charity and found it to be not exactly what was being advertised. So at some point, enough was made that they made a more stable charity choice. The thing with these challenges is, if your trying to take a known marker, you damn well better do everything you can to make it accurate. That's why pool swims are more forgiveable because in a situation like this, finding safe suitable lake is pretty tough. But using a elliptical because your hip hurts kinda defeats the whole purpose of doing 50 IM's in 50 days.

It's the same thing for me for people coming back from injury and doped- back in the day I think it was Pettite and MLB pitcher, who rationalized doping "i wasn't cheating, i was using it to recovery from injury".....No that's the whole point, you cant cut corners.

Towards the end he was actively showcasing IV usage in the RV, which absolutely is a no-no.

But here's the thing in all these things. These people who are doing these "challenges" usually win because they are setting the rules. They are the ones preaching to the public that they are doing it, and most of the time the public doesn't give a shit, so they just say "yeah cool man" and move on.

Which is why challenges like English Channel crossings or the one swimming to Cuba where they have checks and balances are far much fair and respected.

Stuff like this where you can "make up" stuff to say you did it, yeah ok coool......

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 24, 18 10:18

mickison wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Was iron cowboy's issue just the elliptical day? I don't recall if there was more than one issue.

Arguing with someone. Can anyone locate the specifics of where IC fundraising actually went? I seem to remember seeing it somewhere that the vast majority went to his efforts rather than charities. Also his children were on state funded healthcare?

As for Horner, she's just building excuses. This will quickly turn into "come exercise with me in X city". She'll completely abandon any mention of Ironman distance. Her fans will praise her for her efforts.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

Maybe somebody who has their own pool, treadmill, zwift setup at their house should do 50 indoor triathlons from the comfort of their own home in 50 days. ;)

According to her schedule I see in her IG, she will be in Tulsa, OK on 9/22. It just so happens that the USAT Ultra Distance championships is in OKC that very day (Redman Triathlon). I have politely asked why she is doing Tulsa when OKC has course support for 140.6 already setup on that day and is only 90 miles away from where she is scheduled to be. Redman doesn't enforce IM type time limits, so she could still take 17+ hours to finish.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lhoyle0217] [ In reply to ]

Well she probably isn't doing an established race because they don't allow outside support. And, if she makes it that far, I imagine she would require more support than someone doing a one-off.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

I'm now going to edit my earlier prediction, she doesnt finish day 2 in any fashion that we would deem to be legit. I agree that there will have to be some monkey business very early on just to be able to drag this thing out to any reasonable pulling the plug date. Claiming an injury on day 2 would be very bad form, so I expect that some shenanigans will be part of each days competition...

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [monty] [ In reply to ]

On her latest Instagram post they call it 50 iron triathlons - typo or ...?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

Ralph20 wrote:
Well she probably isn't doing an established race because they don't allow outside support. And, if she makes it that far, I imagine she would require more support than someone doing a one-off.

I think the opposite.

If she made it that far she would likely be strong enough to not require very much additional support to what is provided at the aid stations and special needs bags. Though she could put some extra food in her T2 bag and even leave a cooked breakfast with her bike to eat while she's in T1.

It would be an ideal opportunity for her support crew to kick back a little and have a day off from the grind of the hands-on crewing for her. Instead, do the shopping to replenish supplies, catch up with the washing, ensure van is organized, solicit donations at the race, liaise with media for the upcoming week etc. Basically do many of the extraneous things they are usually trying to squeeze in during long days on the road while looking after her.

But when she does an established race she would really need to do the 140.6 miles.

Prev Next