Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days

This just showed up in my news feed on my phone. I'm sure it will get plenty of discussion here, couldn't find anything yet:

https://www.usatoday.com/...s-50-days/750395002/

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]

Hope she can do it!

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]

I don't see how a "Fitness Model" that's apparently never done and Ironman is going to do 50 of them in 50 days.

I guess she saw the Cowboy documentary and got inspired.

i hope she gets the publicity that she wants out of this deal. and i also hope she doesn't use an elliptical and out does the other attention seeker.

Good luck to her. Hope she's planning on doing it properly (i.e. all outdoors, no drafting on the bike, not using downhill courses, and with a reasonable degree of monitoring) as there's no real detail provided. I'm fairly sceptical it can be done, and imagine others will be plenty more cynical than me, so if any pictures show up of her on a cross trainer or sat behind a support vehicle getting a nice 25mph draft then she'll be written off here pretty quickly. And equally sure that her half million Instagram followers won't care that much! And if she can raise $100k for a good cause then good on her.

Impossible unless the race is modified

It seems there's actually a real charity behind this attempt, so she's already one up on IC.

I'd like her to succeed, but put me in the skeptic camp.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [cartsman] [ In reply to ]

She is not bounding herself to the 17 hour cutoff as she states she expects some days to take up to 18 hours or more to finish that day's IM. My guess is she will get through it, but it will be a slow rolling affair with her camper providing support and place to rest when she inevitably needs to take a break.

Good for the charity I do suppose, especially as those most interested are not likely triathletes

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack

I feel like she should first make sure she can do 1 ironman before she attempts 50 in a row

Matt

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]

Those time estimates show she's taking it seriously, and I doubt think going over 17 his invalidates the attempt, but do question whether she'll be able to recover enough if it's taking her that long.

I'm struggling with the logistics here. Her ideal pacing has her covering 140mi per day in 16-18hr. That leaves a maximum of an 8hr transit window to drive to reach the next state.

You can't just swim 2.4 miles anywhere at anytime so that transit window seems too tight to me. Just looking a maps I struggle to see how way you could cover the area West of Mississippi spending only 1 day in every state and driving for no more than 6-8hr (+140mi).

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [scott8888] [ In reply to ]

scott8888 wrote:
I'm struggling with the logistics here. Her ideal pacing has her covering 140mi per day in 16-18hr. That leaves a maximum of an 8hr transit window to drive to reach the next state.

You can't just swim 2.4 miles anywhere at anytime so that transit window seems too tight to me. Just looking a maps I struggle to see how way you could cover the area West of Mississippi spending only 1 day in every state and driving for no more than 6-8hr (+140mi).

don't think that's her goal.

She will complete it. No doubt.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]

LifeTri wrote:
She will complete it. No doubt.

Care to wager. Lol

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
don't think that's her goal.

Sure it is. From the article:

Quote:
In her latest challenge, Horner is planning to complete 50 Ironman triathlons in 50 days. The fitness competitor, who has her own training program, will start the challenge in Haiti on Aug. 8, complete full-Ironman triathlons in 48 states, and end in Haiti,

Quote:
Horner and her team plan to make their way through Florida and up the East coast. She said her team would drive an RV, so she can compete during the day, and then sleep at night while the RV makes its way to the next state.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [logella] [ In reply to ]

touché, reading comp fail on my part.

I think she'll make it 10ish (still an incredible accomplishment) before breaking down.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

RBR wrote:

Agreed. I doubt she could do 50 marathons in 50 days, let alone 50 Iron distances.

One important aspect of the story that is implied but not specifically stated: Is she going to do this in 50 *consecutive* days? I don’t see how she can arrange all the travel logistics and get some sleep in order to do this in 50 straight days.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]

MadTownTRI wrote:
I think she'll make it 10ish (still an incredible accomplishment) before breaking down.

Who knows. Look at her build...is that natural? Is she subject to drug testing? It looks to me like she is on some nice recovery vitamins.

I don't know what to think about these stunts. On the one hand I think she should have a good shot at doing some real good for the orphanage in Haiti. Having seen what orphanages look like in 3rd world countries first hand I think this is a wonderful cause. On the other hand I find the whole self-promotion as entertainment/business aspect of these "fitness stars" totally distasteful. The attempt of things that seem impossible is awesome but the people that are out there doing these things just seem like totally dysfunctional and self-absorbed people.

Just reading the Iron Cowboy book made me ill. Here is a dude that has unapologetically put his family through hell to pursue feats of endurance. I would hate to be the wife of this self-absorbed man-child. That book I think clearly outlines how egotistical some of these people are. I am in awe that he did what he did, even if it was under modified conditions, it's still amazing. But he really doesn't give a crap about childhood obesity or any other charitable reason. It's all about "what's the flavor of the day?" for that dude. And some of us fall for that crap and actually think it's "inspirational". Very sad.

I think we should look for inspiration elsewhere other than "fitness stars".

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [bujayman] [ In reply to ]

Ms. Horner, It's not your "typical" fit model, she has some experience with endurance, climbing Mount Rainier is no joke. Regardless, I don't see how she could possibly get this done but I hope she get as much money for the charity as she can , she has done other events for this charity as well as St. Jude Childrens Hospital in the past.

It seems to me the Iron Cowboy screwed up for everyone with his BS "50 IM in 50 days" since now it's the baseline for everyone else, I mean, someone could come out and say" I will do 20 REAL IM in 20 days" and wouldn't get any attention because the "other guy" did 50 IM already, so not only he "cheated" but he screwed up for the rest of the record hounds.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [DaniD] [ In reply to ]

She should try to complete one Ironman before attempting her publicity stunt. I watched a video of her online and she doesn’t even know how to clip out of her pedals. She also appears to be gorging on doughnuts and so forth. It looks like the IronCowboy 2.0. Can she even swim? Consider me skeptical.

biglazybum wrote:
This just showed up in my news feed on my phone. I'm sure it will get plenty of discussion here, couldn't find anything yet:

https://www.usatoday.com/...s-50-days/750395002/

#soft

Since she's bothering with this, she might as well go for the "Indoor Ironman Record" also!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ironman_world_record

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

RBR wrote:

from her rules of business "RULE #1: THERE ARE NO RULES.
A successful business is not necessarily created through an arbitrary set of standards and success is not achieved by strictly conforming to orthodox or convention. "
I'm guessing she'll tweak her 50 full distance triathlon

Prev Next