Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lschaan] [ In reply to ]

lschaan wrote:
Agree to disagree Olu. The gist of what most "naysayers" said is that this challenge is impossible for mere mortals. This includes US! You yourself agree. Whether it's cool that she's attempting this or not is up for debate, but the implausibility is NOT in my opinion. Ego has nothing to do with it. What she proposed is impossible for her. Period. My reaction is the same as it would be if my 40 year old neighbor announced he was trying to become a pro golfer. Sincere hopes for success but deep skepticism.

I must be missing something, but what endurance results are you seeing that lead you to believe she'd be anything more than a MOP triathlete at best? Athlinks looks mediocre at best but may be missing some recent results?

I'm not speaking of races, but other challenges she's done. She ran 230 miles in 3 days and biked 65 hours in 2 weeks. So she's had time in the saddle and time on the feet. I'm a mid 10 hour Ironman finisher and I know I couldn't do that much running. The biking while possible wouldn't be fun either.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Olu] [ In reply to ]

Olu wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
Let's get real here. Someone doing something similar to what we do but many days consecutively hurts our egos real bad...

lschaan wrote:
While I think some here are being a BIT too negative, I don't think the issue is "ego". I think most of us would have the exact same reaction to any number of other unrealistic athletic targets, regardless of the sport.

Well I do think it's ego(s) and the arrogance that only 'we' know what a REAL triathlete is. Based on the ENDURANCE events she's done, I bet she'd beat most of the naysayers here in a single Ironman. Do I think she can finish 50? Without SERIOUS support I doubt it, but it'll be fun to watch. I think she'd have a better chance if she didn't start in Haiti and if she started in cooler parts of the country first. Time will tell...

Do you think she will succeed? Yes or no.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Toby] [ In reply to ]

Toby wrote:

No, but I'm not sitting around betting on when she might fail with reasons for that failure in quotes. That's obnoxious at best.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Updated List!

50 Days Ironmans DEADPOOL

DAY REASON SLOWTWITCHER

Quits on 8/7 (the day before officially starting) due to “Sherpa issues”. - Skyline Chili
1. Doesn’t actually Do a full Ironman - RBR, Windschatten
4. Due to a mechanical issue (van, bike, shoes, equipment) - Twinkie, lschaan, Sanuk
5. "Illness" like the flu, not sports related - chxddstri
5. Falls so far behind time wise that she either doesn't start day 6 or has to bastardize her plans to keep going. - Chuy
6. Dehydration issues - ZenTriBrett
13. Lays the bike down due to exhaustion. - alexer03

What about IV bags? Is she disqualified for that?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jul 11, 18 10:48

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Olu] [ In reply to ]

Olu wrote:
Toby wrote:

No, but

Everything else is just hot air. Stop whining and get off your high horse.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Olu wrote:
Toby wrote:

No, but I'm not sitting around betting on when she might fail with reasons for that failure in quotes. That's obnoxious at best.[/quote

I love it. This thread has it all.
Im definitely in the obnoxious camp...
Where does that leave you?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]

I have a 10K swim riding on her failure and I'm okay with the IV bags. I'm okay with a lot of stuff just not a lack of completing the actual distance on each day

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Fishbum wrote:
I have a 10K swim riding on her failure and I'm okay with the IV bags. I'm okay with a lot of stuff just not a lack of completing the actual distance on each day

Cool. Next, we need to figure out "prizes". If I win, I'll donate $20 to March of Dimes. Or maybe we all state our donations to play at all? I'm fine with that. Could raise some bucks via our Triathletes Against Humanity Deadpool?

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]

ZenTriBrett wrote:
Updated List!

DAY REASON SLOWTWITCHER

Quits on 8/7 (the day before officially starting) due to “Sherpa issues”. - Skyline Chili
4. Due to a mechanical issue (van, bike, shoes, equipment) - Twinkie, lschaan, Sanuk
5. Falls so far behind time wise that she either doesn't start day 6 or has to bastardize her plans to keep going. - Chuy

I'll take day 8 due to "friction related issues" : blisters, saddle sores etc. Hot conditions, long days and a lack of time for hygiene are going to sink this thing.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Toby] [ In reply to ]

Toby wrote:
Olu wrote:
Toby wrote:

No, but

Everything else is just hot air. Stop whining and get off your high horse.

High horse? I think not. I treat people and post things the way I would in the real world. Feel free to look me up if you'd like to finish this conversation face to face. Best of luck to all. I'm out.

Day 2 - I under estimated the difficulty of the distances involved and the toll it would take on my body.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Jordano] [ In reply to ]

Jordano wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Updated List!

DAY REASON SLOWTWITCHER

I'll take day 8 due to "friction related issues" : blisters, saddle sores etc. Hot conditions, long days and a lack of time for hygiene are going to sink this thing.

I want day 9 - kidneys. Can't balance hydration and nutrition and keep kidneys functioning properly.

I also want in on day 8. I think she'll have skin failure.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/

Am I missing something? Cause so many of you guys have declared this impossible to finish. But it looks like James Lawrence did it back in 2015. So it isn't impossible. Oh wait, it's just that a girl can't do it? Is that what we are supposed to take away from this thread? I agree that a majority of people here are being obnoxious. It's a shame to see athletes from our community lowering themselves to such a level.
Last edited by: Ralph20: Jul 11, 18 12:35

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

Ralph20 wrote:
Am I missing something? Cause so many of you guys have declared this impossible to finish. But it looks like James Lawrence did it back in 2015. So it isn't impossible. Oh wait, it's just that a girl can't do it? Is that what we are supposed to take away from this thread? I agree that a majority of people here are being obnoxious. It's a shame to see athletes from our community lowering themselves to such a level.

Have not heard of James

So he did full IM races in each of 48 states in 48 days as well as in a foreign country twice?

Could you please link us to this?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

Should have included it in my original post. My bad...

https://www.redbull.com/...ns-50-states-50-days

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]

SLOgoing wrote:
Jordano wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Updated List!

DAY REASON SLOWTWITCHER

I want day 9 - kidneys. Can't balance hydration and nutrition and keep kidneys functioning properly.

I also want in on day 8. I think she'll have skin failure.

Can I have a simple:

Misses 17 hour time cut off on day 3 but tags on some environmental "reason" to justify.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

I believe James took at least 1 day off and made use of elliptical machines in place of running at least a few times. What he did is still damn impressive but I stand by my prediction that 50 real 140.6 triathlons in 50 states in 50 days is impossible for mere mortals.

Ralph20 wrote:

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lschaan] [ In reply to ]

lschaan wrote:
I believe James took at least 1 day off and made use of elliptical machines in place of running at least a few times. What he did is still damn impressive but I stand by my prediction that 50 real 140.6 triathlons in 50 states in 50 days is impossible for mere mortals.

Ralph20 wrote:

Correct. The Slowtwitch community will (correction, *might*) tolerate treadmills (but just barely, and with eyes rolling HARD) but will not tolerate elliptical "miles" as running. And treadmill running is a really lame substitute. You're indoors and out of the elements and on perfectly flat ground. Not realistic.

Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jul 11, 18 13:41

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]

Updated List!

50 Days Ironmans Triathletes Against Humanity DEADPOOL

DAY REASON SLOWTWITCHER

01. Doesn’t actually Do a full Ironman - RBR, Windschatten
04. Due to a mechanical issue (van, bike, shoes, equipment) - Twinkie, lschaan, Sanuk
05. "Illness" like the flu, not sports related - chxddstri
05. Falls so far behind time wise that she either doesn't start day 6 or has to bastardize her plans to keep going. - Chuy
06. Dehydration issues - ZenTriBrett

08. "Friction related issues" : blisters, saddle sores etc. Jordano, SLOgoing
09. Kidneys. Can't balance hydration and nutrition and keep kidneys functioning properly. SLOgoing

If anyone is interested, this appears to be her Strava account:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/32231287

In recent weeks it says she put in over 50 hours one week and over 30 hours the other. This is during a period that she was doing some sort of cycling challenge, but it seems like she recorded it with two different devices on many rides and uploaded both as it has her doing the ride with herself with slightly different distances, so maybe halve those hours and miles.

Anyway, if she uploads data during her attempt, this appears to be where to track her.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Olu wrote:

I'm not speaking of races, but other challenges she's done. She ran 230 miles in 3 days and biked 65 hours in 2 weeks. So she's had time in the saddle and time on the feet. I'm a mid 10 hour Ironman finisher and I know I couldn't do that much running. The biking while possible wouldn't be fun either.

Please provide proof that she actually ran 230 miles in 3 days. If it is not verifiable, it probably didn't happen.

There is a very long history of charity stunts out there that are complete shams. Everything from cutting the course, to biking during the a run, to riding in the support RV, to simply lying about what they did. People have made up fake races with fake results even.

Even on a small scale, I've had people tell me their 10k time at the last running race was 4 minutes faster than reality. A quick look at the results showed otherwise...

When someone with no background in the sport says they are going to do something like this, it is normal to be skeptical.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

RowToTri wrote:
If anyone is interested, this appears to be her Strava account:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/32231287

In recent weeks it says she put in over 50 hours one week and over 30 hours the other. This is during a period that she was doing some sort of cycling challenge, but it seems like she recorded it with two different devices on many rides and uploaded both as it has her doing the ride with herself with slightly different distances, so maybe halve those hours and miles.

Anyway, if she uploads data during her attempt, this appears to be where to track her.

Is that really her Strava? That says she has ridden less than 2k miles this year. Which means over the course of 17 days she will surpass her total cycling for this year along with swimming 2.4 miles per day and running a full marathon each of those 17 days. So unless she does a shitty job of uploading her rides to Strava she will do worse than I thought. Is it too late to change my prediction to day 3 falling far behind she doesn't start day 4 or bastardizes her plans?

edit: looks the account has only been up for 4 months but still, not nearly enough volume.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Jul 11, 18 14:39

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [chuy] [ In reply to ]

Well.... I think it's a bit worse than you think. Somewhere around 25 hours of riding that she has uploaded is double counting. So subtract something like 400 miles from that total for this year. She's also only run like 200 miles this year.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [chuy] [ In reply to ]

chuy wrote:
[ Is it too late to change my prediction to day 3 falling far behind she doesn't start day 4 or bastardizes her plans?

We can make edits up until whatever we decide is the cutoff. 10 days out? 3?

And soon we'll need to build this out as a spreadsheet or something so we can handle all the bets. I'm open to ideas. But having it readable right from within this thread is crucial.

And then we can use it as a template for anytime somebody tries one of these crazy-long things.

--------------------------------------------

Updated List!

50 Days Ironmans Triathletes Against Humanity DEADPOOL

DAY REASON SLOWTWITCHER

Doesn’t actually Do a full Ironman - RBR, Windschatten
04. Due to a mechanical issue (van, bike, shoes, equipment) - Twinkie, lschaan, Sanuk
05. "Illness" like the flu, not sports related - chxddstri
05. Falls so far behind time wise that she either doesn't start day 6 or has to bastardize her plans to keep going. - Chuy
06. Dehydration issues - ZenTriBrett

07. "Injury" - FFigawi
08. "Friction related issues" : blisters, saddle sores etc. Jordano, SLOgoing
09. Kidneys. Can't balance hydration and nutrition and keep kidneys functioning properly. SLOgoing
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jul 11, 18 15:04

Olu wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
Let's get real here. Someone doing something similar to what we do but many days consecutively hurts our egos real bad...

lschaan wrote:
While I think some here are being a BIT too negative, I don't think the issue is "ego". I think most of us would have the exact same reaction to any number of other unrealistic athletic targets, regardless of the sport.

Well I do think it's ego(s) and the arrogance that only 'we' know what a REAL triathlete is. Based on the ENDURANCE events she's done, I bet she'd beat most of the naysayers here in a single Ironman. Do I think she can finish 50? Without SERIOUS support I doubt it, but it'll be fun to watch. I think she'd have a better chance if she didn't start in Haiti and if she started in cooler parts of the country first. Time will tell...

I don't think its hurting people's egos, its her not understanding what she's getting into.

I'm pretty fit, and have climbed a hill here or there....can you imagine how it would go over with serious climbers if I announced that I was going to climb the seven highest peaks in seven weeks.

She's obviously pretty fit but I don't think she's really considered the physical or logistical nature of this task.

Prev Next