Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]

I hope she does do this, to bury the false iron cowboy feat. But to add to the list.. logistical failure: can't find swim,bike or run in whatever state in time to do the feat

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]

Somebody has already called it. She won't even complete a single Ironman.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]

ZenTriBrett wrote:
lschaan wrote:
I believe James took at least 1 day off and made use of elliptical machines in place of running at least a few times. What he did is still damn impressive but I stand by my prediction that 50 real 140.6 triathlons in 50 states in 50 days is impossible for mere mortals.

Ralph20 wrote:
Should have included it in my original post. My bad...

https://www.redbull.com/...ns-50-states-50-days

Correct. The Slowtwitch community will (correction, *might*) tolerate treadmills (but just barely, and with eyes rolling HARD) but will not tolerate elliptical "miles" as running. And treadmill running is a really lame substitute. You're indoors and out of the elements and on perfectly flat ground. Not realistic.

Don't tell that to Tim Don (Did an indoor Ironman) or all those that run on Zwift.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

HAH! Tim Don did an indoor ironman at a convention in Las Vegas as a PR stunt for Polar. Neither he nor Polar tried to pretent that it was anything other than an attention-getting novelty.

I don't think any people running on Zwift would claim that they are breaking outdoor running records...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

RowToTri wrote:
Neither he nor Polar tried to pretent that it was anything other than an attention-getting novelty.

To be fair, I don't think Ashley is pretending this is anything other than an attention-getting novelty. It's transparently stated it's to get existing social media followers of Ashley's to donate money to the charity.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

RowToTri wrote:
HAH! Tim Don did an indoor ironman at a convention in Las Vegas as a PR stunt for Polar. Neither he nor Polar tried to pretent that it was anything other than an attention-getting novelty.

I don't think any people running on Zwift would claim that they are breaking outdoor running records...

You missed my point, but I digress.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [trail] [ In reply to ]

I don't think that announcing to the world with a dramatic video that you are going to do 50 ironmans in 50 days can in any way be described as a novelty. It's a feat that has never been accomplished before - and not because it's silly or meaningless but because its just so f'ing hard.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]

I love the list. It just makes me smile!

RowToTri wrote:
I don't think that announcing to the world with a dramatic video that you are going to do 50 ironmans in 50 days can in any way be described as a novelty. It's a feat that has never been accomplished before -

I think a novelty is, by definition, something new. But we're just getting into semantic arguments. But my point is that I think that this is designed as a PR stunt, not a serious triathlon event. Given there is no sanctioning body, etc. And I don't mean that as a pejorative. I just mean that it's advertising that she's going to put herself through a lot of hurt for 50 days to raise money.

I'm with others here that don't think she'll get all that far. Just saying that this is not intended as a serious triathlon event. It's a super challenging novelty.

Day 2: Can't complete run. (Tiebreaker: Florida Man attacks fitness model with dead gator).

RowToTri wrote:
If anyone is interested, this appears to be her Strava account:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/32231287

In recent weeks it says she put in over 50 hours one week and over 30 hours the other. This is during a period that she was doing some sort of cycling challenge, but it seems like she recorded it with two different devices on many rides and uploaded both as it has her doing the ride with herself with slightly different distances, so maybe halve those hours and miles.

Anyway, if she uploads data during her attempt, this appears to be where to track her.

I wish her the best.

But one thing I noticed (and it's bothering me) is that if you watch her youtube videos of her rides, the first or second ride, she claimed it was 100 miles in 4 hours. The guy that rode with her corrected her and said "uh, maybe 5 and a half".

Strava doesn't show that. Not even close.

Day 2 - “ I under estimated the difficulty of the distances involved and the toll it would take on my body”

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [synthetic] [ In reply to ]

Interesting. What day do you pick for not being able to find course?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

But it looks like James Lawrence did it back in 2015. So it isn't impossible.

First, look at the background in triathlons between the Iron Cowboy and Horner. The IC did multiple long distance triathlons and aerobic events for years and Horner has never done one. Now add a very poor foreign country and the travel (much harder than to Hawaii) to and from and you should start to see why there are doubters.

Oh wait, it's just that a girl can't do it? Is that what we are supposed to take away from this thread?

Maybe you should read the thread again. I've read it and never had the slightest idea that the doubts were because she is female. In fact, you are the first one to bring it up.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jul 12, 18 1:49

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [chuy] [ In reply to ]

Is that really her Strava? That says she has ridden less than 2k miles this year. Which means over the course of 17 days she will surpass her total cycling for this year along with swimming 2.4 miles per day and running a full marathon each of those 17 days. So unless she does a shitty job of uploading her rides to Strava she will do worse than I thought. Is it too late to change my prediction to day 3 falling far behind she doesn't start day 4 or bastardizes her plans?

So you're saying she can't do it because she's female?

TO me day 3 is the obvious pick here. She finishes Day 1, Day 2 she realizes how difficult this she convinces herself that she just needs to get over the hump. Day 3 she realizes there is no hump to get over. It just stays hard.

--------------------------------------------

Updated List!

50 Days Ironmans Triathletes Against Humanity DEADPOOL

DAY REASON SLOWTWITCHER

Quits on 8/7 (the day before officially starting) due to “Sherpa issues”. - Skyline Chili
Doesn’t actually Do a full Ironman - RBR, Windschatten

03. Stops near end of Bike due to fatigue, doesn't start run - AJT
04. Due to a mechanical issue (van, bike, shoes, equipment) - Twinkie, lschaan, Sanuk
05. "Illness" like the flu, not sports related - chxddstri
05. Falls so far behind time wise that she either doesn't start day 6 or has to bastardize her plans to keep going. - Chuy
06. Dehydration issues - ZenTriBrett

07. "Injury" - FFigawi
08. "Friction related issues" : blisters, saddle sores etc. Jordano, SLOgoing
09. Kidneys. Can't balance hydration and nutrition and keep kidneys functioning properly. SLOgoing
13. Lays the bike down due to exhaustion. - alexer03
[/quote]

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [synthetic] [ In reply to ]

synthetic wrote:
I hope she does do this, to bury the false iron cowboy feat. But to add to the list.. logistical failure: can't find swim,bike or run in whatever state in time to do the feat

I actually hope she does it, too. My heart says yes, but my brain says no way. I think she's carrying way too much muscle mass and will overheat and dehydrate.

I'll post an updated deadpool later today when I get a minute. Put in your votes!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com

This reminds me of a couple of wheel launches.... Flo versus Dishy

One comes on ST and involves people in the journey and step by step asks for input then launches like a family project embraced by all. The other came out of nowhere minutes before launch, brash claims, then gets totally shot out of the water.

I wonder how her response would've been if she had posted her plan, then asked a couple of tips, and training options, (even if ignoring it all to do it her way) and built up a bit of following and support first. "bike radar.. What are the best clip pedals for 50 days biking?" "ST do you think my seat is too high? Aero helmet or road?" "letsrun... Should I use barefoot shoes or hokas for ultras?"

There's not a lot of her buildup on Instagram, so either it was a last minute idea or she didn't want to spawn a rash of attempts

What is the most consequtive IMs by a experienced triathlete?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Jordano] [ In reply to ]

She's not getting to day 3, at least not for real.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment

ZenTriBrett wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I actually hope she does it, too. My heart says yes, but my brain says no way. I think she's carrying way too much muscle mass and will overheat and dehydrate.

I'll post an updated deadpool later today when I get a minute. Put in your votes!

Don't forget mine:

"Day 3. Because the start time + the end time goes into day 4 already, and so it becomes really unpractical to continue. Fatigue. "

-Eric

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]

Gotcha covered, Eric...

Updated List!

50 Days Ironmans Triathletes Against Humanity DEADPOOL

DAY - REASON - SLOWTWITCHER

00. Quits on 8/7 (the day before officially starting) due to “Sherpa issues”. - Skyline Chili
01. Doesn’t actually Do a full Ironman - RBR, Windschatten
02: Can't complete run. (Tiebreaker: Florida Man attacks fitness model with dead gator). - Adambeston
03. Stops near end of Bike due to fatigue, doesn't start run - AJT
03. “Because the start time + the end time goes into day 4 already, and so it becomes really unpractical to continue. Fatigue." - EricTheBiking
04. Due to a mechanical issue (van, bike, shoes, equipment) - Twinkie, lschaan, Sanuk
05. "Illness" like the flu, not sports related - chxddstri
05. Falls so far behind time wise that she either doesn't start day 6 or has to bastardize her plans to keep going. - Chuy
06. Dehydration issues - ZenTriBrett
07. "Injury" - FFigawi
08. "Friction related issues" : blisters, saddle sores etc. Jordano, SLOgoing
09. Kidneys. Can't balance hydration and nutrition and keep kidneys functioning properly. SLOgoing
13. Lays the bike down due to exhaustion. - alexer03
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jul 12, 18 10:03

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]

lacticturkey wrote:
This reminds me of a couple of wheel launches.... Flo versus Dishy

One comes on ST and involves people in the journey and step by step asks for input then launches like a family project embraced by all. The other came out of nowhere minutes before launch, brash claims, then gets totally shot out of the water.

I wonder how her response would've been if she had posted her plan, then asked a couple of tips, and training options, (even if ignoring it all to do it her way) and built up a bit of following and support first. "bike radar.. What are the best clip pedals for 50 days biking?" "ST do you think my seat is too high? Aero helmet or road?" "letsrun... Should I use barefoot shoes or hokas for ultras?"

There's not a lot of her buildup on Instagram, so either it was a last minute idea or she didn't want to spawn a rash of attempts

What is the most consecutive IMs by a experienced triathlete?

Somewhere during the first 100 or so posts, someone dropped a link to Ludovic Chorgnon (sp???), a French triathlete who did a well documented 41 IMs in a row, all on same course, in July-Aug 2015. The link is to a Wiki article in French but, if you know some French, you can glean the gist of it. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]

We should also do a "day to drop" list...on what day do you think she will have one of those issues - not what day will she finish or how many she will finish - just what day she quits on whether she finishes and quits or quits halfway through. I am not going back through the thread because I am at work but....just use this and quote it and add to the list.

Twinkie: Day 3

Alright, I'm going to go with "doesn't do the full distance" probably on day 1, but for sure within the first 3 days. She's going to "finish" all of those days, but at least one leg will be bogus and not the full distance somehow but she will ignore it and move on.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sean H] [ In reply to ]

Sean H wrote:
Alright, I'm going to go with "doesn't do the full distance" probably on day 1, but for sure within the first 3 days. She's going to "finish" all of those days, but at least one leg will be bogus and not the full distance somehow but she will ignore it and move on.

I will update the list in the mornings...
You have to pick a day though. one day.

Twinkie: 3
Sean H: ?

Prev Next