Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What seats are people using with the IA's? I have sittero on now, but due to the clamps i can't get the right angle with the seat and am going to have to change. looking at a ISM PN 3.0.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a horrible time with slipping on the IA16 V3 bars. The shop owner tried twice and then I tried several times more removing the bolts, adding new grease and Park Tool friction paste. They kept slipping when hitting hard bumps and while on rougher pavement would vibrate out of position. Finally at the last effort and not using a torque wrench out of frustration I used a regular socket wrench and bit and have had not issues since. I was at the point of considering new aero bars and I am still considering an upgrade to TriRig Alpha One.

As an update I am loving the IA16 even with the lower end mechanical group. I am still considering an upgrade to the drivetrain to electronic, but taking my time as it is just a performance upgrade. I have etap on my road bike and love it so I would like to have it on this bike, but I am also a little concerned from recent user reports. One of the shops I use posted a picture last week with a Felt FD mount ripped off the frame. It was an etap FD. Perhaps the bike is now a 1X? I've had no issues with my etap on the road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I bought my IA16, the fitter put me on a Cobb 55. It was my first encounter with a tri bike, so I just went with it. It has been good for me, but I have little reference for comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
As an update I am loving the IA16 even with the lower end mechanical group. I am still considering an upgrade to the drivetrain to electronic, but taking my time as it is just a performance upgrade. I have etap on my road bike and love it so I would like to have it on this bike, but I am also a little concerned from recent user reports.
I upgraded my road bike to eTap and my IA16 to Di2. I like Di2 on the IA16 because I can hide it better and I love Synchro on the TT. (I think eTap is God's gift to cyclists on a road bike.)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I upgraded my road bike to eTap and my IA16 to Di2. I like Di2 on the IA16 because I can hide it better and I love Synchro on the TT. (I think eTap is God's gift to cyclists on a road bike.)

I've actually been looking closely at your Di2 upgrade post and have returned to it several times both for the parts list, the install and the Synchro. I was in the same boat before I got the etap because the shifting was different and guessing if I would like it or not. Turned out that immediately loved the way etap shifted. Now I am watching YouTube videos for the Synchro and trying to get a feel if I like it.

What I like about your setup is the simple single buttons at the end of the aerobars rather than the dual buttons on either side. I don't really care to have buttons on the brakes because on my courses I am almost always in aero and when I approach a steeper hill I am already in the gear I want such is typical with mechanical shifting only at the aerobars. Even with etap I would not put blips on other locations and would only use the end clics.

So what I was thinking about doing is printing off your install and take it to Cannon Cyclery in Roswell and let him do the purchasing and the install. I am not that great of a mechanic and don't really like fooling with it. He has always been fair and competitive on pricing. It probably won't been soon though. I've had some other things come up like home repair that need attention. But anyway thanks for an excellent thread on your Di2 install. Probably a dumb question, but I am guessing that the bar end junction has a charging port? I was wondering why on a different thread people were talking about difficult Di2 battery access on the Felt IA for charging when that gizmo is available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
So what I was thinking about doing is printing off your install and take it to Cannon Cyclery in Roswell and let him do the purchasing and the install. ...Probably a dumb question, but I am guessing that the bar end junction has a charging port? I was wondering why on a different thread people were talking about difficult Di2 battery access on the Felt IA for charging when that gizmo is available.
Small world-- we are local. I live in the Norcross area. I have heard great things about Cannon Cyclery-- I am thinking about going to him for my next fit to get a different perspective. And yes, most of my rides and races are flat as well. I rarely have to shift on the brake levers, though it is super convenient on rides like the Silver Comet with all the intersections. At every intersection, I pull out of aero and brake while also upshifting to an easy gear to resume quickly after the intersection.

Yes, the 910 has a charging port. It is technically the same as a standard Junction A, but comes in a different form factor. The EW-RS910 is relatively new, and the official TT Di2 setup is a standard Junction A hidden in the IA nose cone. To me, that is a total PITA, even though it is well hidden. The 910 may take a little modification work on some extensions (like mine, where I did a bit of grinding), while others have installed it easily in their extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m on a HILO. I want to try a sitero though if you want to swap for week

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
Yes, but it is very inconvenient to have to take off the cover just to charge or even check the battery.

Don't install the covers until you rack the bike in transition.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did have a Sitero Pro, brought over from previous bike. Loved it, but had real difficulty setting the angle!
As it was a Pro, I also had real difficulty finding the right oval rail clamps...
Eventually, I changed to a Prologo Tgale. Good saddle, even if it looks brutall.
Now, I have sussed the bloody clamp, to set at any angle, I'm going to get another Sitero (2018) and return to it.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
I did have a Sitero Pro, brought over from previous bike. Loved it, but had real difficulty setting the angle!
As it was a Pro, I also had real difficulty finding the right oval rail clamps...
Eventually, I changed to a Prologo Tgale. Good saddle, even if it looks brutall.
Now, I have sussed the bloody clamp, to set at any angle, I'm going to get another Sitero (2018) and return to it.

Ok so I am not alone. I guess I could file down the inside of the clamp from the front and but a shim on the back of the clamp to get it to angle forward now. It might just be easier to go with a different seat. I have had to do a lot with this bike to get it where I want it. Almost there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried a Cobb JOF?
I've used a sitero for a few years and loved it, on my trek, but I could not get it far enough forward on my Felt. Tried a bunch of different saddles, the Cobb was one of the few I found comfortable (and long rails). Normal round rails on it too.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m also using a Cobb 55 JOF. So far it’s been great for me. Took the fitter a while to work with the clamp but eventually he got it dialed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
I’m also using a Cobb 55 JOF. So far it’s been great for me. Took the fitter a while to work with the clamp but eventually he got it dialed in.

Apparently I got lucky with the seat clamp thing....my NOS 2015 FRD seat post has the regular/earlier style Felt designed 'VM' clamp that has no splines, pretty much the same as on trek SC's.
Very easy to adjust via one large screw to loosen and tighten, no stripping, etc.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: May 24, 18 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Have you tried a Cobb JOF?
I've used a sitero for a few years and loved it, on my trek, but I could not get it far enough forward on my Felt. Tried a bunch of different saddles, the Cobb was one of the few I found comfortable (and long rails). Normal round rails on it too.

I will try in. Going into LBS on sat and just going to try some different ones.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running a cobb max on mine.

Love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:

Ok so I am not alone. I guess I could file down the inside of the clamp from the front and but a shim on the back of the clamp to get it to angle forward now. It might just be easier to go with a different seat. I have had to do a lot with this bike to get it where I want it. Almost there.

That seems quite a drastic move to make!
I struggled with my saddle angle until I found the instructions that show how to alter the angle 0.5 degree at a time.
My current saddle is now set at 3 degrees. And I know I could set the Sitero at that, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
I struggled with my saddle angle until I found the instructions that show how to alter the angle 0.5 degree at a time.
My current saddle is now set at 3 degrees. And I know I could set the Sitero at that, too.

Besides if you sell the bike some day you potentially ruin the fun for the new owner to solve the Felt Riddle. I mean I had to spend nearly an hour in a fitting on just the saddle angle alone while I watched the fitter anguish over adjusting the angle. Plus my crotch experienced anguish during that time when the angle up was too much.

Just kidding :-) It was worth getting it dialed in like it is.

On another note I was wishing the aerobars had splines in the clamps because that took more effort to get them to stay put than I spent during the saddle adjustment. I think I am finally there with greasing the bolts and getting them torqued down. They haven't slipped during the last three rides - touch wood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:

Where are those instructions! The Sitero rails also don't quite fit the clamp and is always some play in saddle forward and back. Not the biggest deal since once you put weight on it it stays in a more forward angle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:

Apparently I got lucky with the seat clamp thing....my NOS 2015 FRD seat post has the regular/earlier style Felt designed 'VM' clamp that has no splines, pretty much the same as on trek SC's.
Very easy to adjust via one large screw to loosen and tighten, no stripping, etc.

LUCKY!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:

Where are those instructions! The Sitero rails also don't quite fit the clamp and is always some play in saddle forward and back. Not the biggest deal since once you put weight on it it stays in a more forward angle.

I take it you have The Sitero Pro, with oval rails, then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:

I have 2 Sitero saddles now, both with yes "oval" rails :-( Not sure if i should blame myself, specialized or felt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
hopper1 wrote:

I have 2 Sitero saddles now, both with yes "oval" rails :-( Not sure if i should blame myself, specialized or felt.

Okay, well to add further confusion, 3T have two clamps for oval rails. I think you'll find that one is for 10 x 7mm, which is for the likes of Fizik saddles, but I believe the Sitero rails are 9 x 7mm and that requires the other model! (I'll check through my emails to see if I can find the required model number, as I had quite a discussion with 3T direct about this.
For setting the angle, I found this info to work...
The difflock mechanism in the Felt IA is actually quite simple to adjust to get the saddle level. However, it is not conventional so getting the angle that you need may not seem obvious at first.

You can use the Compass setting on your smart phone which has an angle finder if you swipe to the right. Place a book or clipboard or some flat surface on your saddle. Then using the edge of your phone as the angle finder check the current position.

The mechanism itself has two means for Angle adjustment one larger ring which provides 9.5° of adjustment per spline and the smaller inner surface at the caps threaten to which offers 10° of adjustment per spline.

By rotating the inner and outer splines one "tooth" in opposite directions you get 0.5° of adjustment. This amount is so small it is in perceptible to the human eye and even your digital phone cannot detect .5° increments.

So if you need to make a 3° adjustment, for example. You need to rotate the inner spline with 10° of adjustment six notches or teeth in the direction you want the saddle to move. This will shift the angle 60 degrees. Next you'll need to move the outer spline with 9.5° of adjustment in the opposite rotational direction six notches as well. 6 × 9.5 equals 57°
The difference in rotation will provide the 3° movement that you needed in my example.

This can be illustrated much easier than I can be explained on a slow twitch post, feel free to call me if you'd like me to walk you through the process when you have the parts in hand.

When reattaching the outer saddle clamps be sure you tighten them alternating between left and right making sure you have equal thread engagement. If you tighten one side completely then try to tighten the other side to torque properly there will not be enough thread engagement.

EDIT: See how the 3T caps on this link state 9x7mm, whereas the other oval caps just say oval!
https://store.3tcycling.com/...rails&results=14
Last edited by: hopper1: May 25, 18 6:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
working on now......good description! .....Will PM message you if i can figure it out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That did it!!! That 0.5 degrees was all I need. Just need to find 2 longer bolts for this bar and the washers and think after 5 months of messing with this bike I will have it where i want it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
That did it!!! That 0.5 degrees was all I need. Just need to find 2 longer bolts for this bar and the washers and think after 5 months of messing with this bike I will have it where i want it.
Glad you got there in the end.
I’ve just fitted the new Calpac and stashed my Blip box underneath the inner section. Now need to decide on riser height, before hiding the final bits of eTap cables 😉
Quote Reply

Prev Next