Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Nicolopolus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicolopolus wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
Nicolopolus wrote:
Had a quick look and found some pics of what could be the 2019 IA16 models - I believe this is from a Japanese website that I first found pics of the current year models, which ended up being correct. Looks I'll try and get a 2018 model then, as I prefer the red! And no disc brakes next year by the looks of it then?https://ekanzaki.com/...l.php?product_id=920[/quote[/url]]

The IA16 would seem to me to be an important price point for Felt and since there are no plans by SRAM or Shimano to include a disc brake option for their 105-level components for base bars I don't think this model is an indication of where the rest of the product range for Felt (or the industry) is headed.

It will be exceptionally challenging to produce a triathlon bike today that is under $4000 with hydraulic disc brakes.

-SD

Interesting Dave. So seems if any IA bike next year includes disc brakes then we'd be looking at least the IA10. There's quite a gap already between the IA14 and 10 thanks to Di2 on the latter, but wouldn't disc brakes push the cost up even further?

Do they have to be hydraulic though? How about the semi hydraulic systems?

I don't see semi-hydro as a solution to complicated cockpit's cable drag and set up sensitivity. Are there $2500 mountain bikes with semi-hydro systems? Even $2500 road bikes are all hydro now.
I would never do semi-hydro for triathlon although I'm aware they are out there.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
I heard that the IA 10 will have rim brakes.
Only ia frd and ia1 will have disc brakes.
Whom did you hear that from?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would make sense if they just changed one of the mold instead of both. And what would be the purpose of the IA10 frame when the only difference between them icould be the stem and aerobar?

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Last edited by: teinvall: Jul 18, 18 5:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
rbe wrote:
I heard that the IA 10 will have rim brakes.
Only ia frd and ia1 will have disc brakes.
Whom did you hear that from?

From a dealer

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are people using as replacement aero bar pads?

I notice they're slick when I sweat a lot, making me nervous that I'll slip off.

Also, what's the trick to getting the draft box on? The bottom screw is very hard to access. I was thinking of drilling a small hole behind the box in order to slip a hex key in.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [bbqdbanana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bbqdbanana wrote:
What are people using as replacement aero bar pads?

Also, what's the trick to getting the draft box on?

Cee Gees pads. Drop the mic. They are so awesome.

Get one of those ball-end hex tools to do the draft box.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jul 18, 18 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CeeGees ... unless you have an allergic reaction to them ... doh!!!! Man they were so amazingly comfortable :-)

I ended up making my own out of foam from a craft store. They are working out great so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
install the bottom screw first at the top of the box and then slide the box up and install the top screw. remove your rear wheel to do this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replaced mine with AeroCoach Align Wing pads & holders, though the new Profile Design Ergo cups also look amazing. In my opinion, the stock Felt pads just don't "lock" the arms in as well, by design. It's not just the pad material at fault.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! And to everyone else that chimed in with other good info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just joined the club and bought a 2018 IA16. Loving the bike so far. Two questions 1) Can the stem be raised? LBS says it rubs unless slammed. 2) Can the arm rest brackets be mounted in front of the aerobar to basebar bracket?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [thagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thagan wrote:
I just joined the club and bought a 2018 IA16. Loving the bike so far. Two questions 1) Can the stem be raised? LBS says it rubs unless slammed. 2) Can the arm rest brackets be mounted in front of the aerobar to basebar bracket?

Thank you.

1) Don't know. The 2015-2017 models came with no stem spacers and the steerer cut to length since the steerer can't pass through the top of the stem. If things are similar for 2018 models, I not clear on what would rub - but there would be no steerer to clamp the stem too. There should be no need to raise the stem anyway unless the stack is massively too low for you. You can use the pedestal spacers to raise the extensions more than stem spacers would give you and the base bar can be flipped to get the pursuit position higher.

2) Yes. I think there's a recommended max distance that SuperDave previously posted in this thread a long time back. My pad brackets are in front of the basebar brackets. I'd be very cramped otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ai_1. My steerer is uncut with 4 spacers above it. Wanting to raise basebar to reduce load on wrists and neck while not on aerobars.
Last edited by: thagan: Jul 19, 18 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need to put the armrest in front of the extension clamp as well as raising the base bar and putting a lot of pedestal on the bar. The frame is obviously to low and to short so you need a larger size. What does the Felt IA fit guide tell you about size?

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'8" with long torso, short legs. The bike is a IA16 size 54, can't image going next size bigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's too short and low.....why not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 5'8 with 'short' legs, I'm guessing his seat post will be pretty darn slammed into the frame on a 56!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'11 with a longer torso. I'm a 32" inseam, but if I could find pants in 31", it'd probably be a better fit. I was on a 54 b12. I had to get a 120mm stem (which measured a little longer) and put the pads in front of the bars with the stem slammed.

I decided to go to a 56 when I got my IA16. I still need to get a professional fit. I'm slowly upgrading everything and cockpit is on my list, so waiting a bit before doing that. I can tell you that I still need a little extension with the 56. Originally was good with it (think I may have a post somewhere in this thread about that), but after some time, I've settled into the bike more and realized I was sitting way too far back on the saddle. I haven't moved the pads to the front of the bars as I'll be changing the whole thing out anyway. But I absolutely couldn't go to a 58. There is no room between me and the top tube when straddling the 56. With all my options, the Felt had as good of reach for me as anything else with better stack to get low. Swapping to a different bar system will get me more reach, just not sure which yet. May use the bayonet and slide the pads in front the bar to do the fitting just to get pad location, then buy a new cockpit based on those numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But so long as he doesn't have a problem with standover thats not a problem.
What else about a bigger frame is not benefitial?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
But so long as he doesn't have a problem with standover thats not a problem.
What else about a bigger frame is not benefitial?

I get that saddle height isn't the most important thing when determining fit.....but just sayin, maybe he doesn't want his saddle height to look like this,.... :)
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jul 20, 18 16:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a couple of hours of stuffing around I finally got my extentions mounted under the base bar and arm rests on top.

A close up of just flipping the brackets under and using shorter bolts ...seems pretty solid and at least 2 inches lower.

At 5'8" this worked perfectly to fit my on a 51cm and i can finally feel that i didnt blow 3k on a bike I couldn't get comfortable on.

I hope the photos help others make the same adjustment if needed,

P.
Last edited by: peteh23: Jul 20, 18 21:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thagan wrote:
Thanks Ai_1. My steerer is uncut with 4 spacers above it. Wanting to raise basebar to reduce load on wrists and neck while not on aerobars.

Flip the Bayonet 3 base bar. This will gain you ~3cm of height with no additional frontal area.
-
SD
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [peteh23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peteh23 wrote:
After a couple of hours of stuffing around I finally got my extentions mounted under the base bar and arm rests on top.

A close up of just flipping the brackets under and using shorter bolts ...seems pretty solid and at least 2 inches lower.

At 5'8" this worked perfectly to fit my on a 51cm and i can finally feel that i didnt blow 3k on a bike I couldn't get comfortable on.

I hope the photos help others make the same adjustment if needed,

P.

It appears you've neglected to install the "B" shaped spacer between the gap in the extension clamp. This will allow the clamp to close too far potentially crushing the aerobar extension and causing premature fatigue to the clamp itself. There have been a couple notable cases highlighted on ST and the culprit has been the lack of using this spacer.
It's the middle part in this service pack.
https://www.felt-stuff.com/...t-bayonet-3?c=200016
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave,

I had kinda of thought that might have been an issue, just waiting for some more bolts to arrive before i go back and do a final fix.

Thanks for getting back to me on this I REALLY appreaciate it.

P.s on a final note, the 110mm dagger stem that holds a non intergeated bar that will work on an IA4?

Cheers,

Pete
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [peteh23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peteh23 wrote:
Thanks Dave,
I had kinda of thought that might have been an issue, just waiting for some more bolts to arrive before i go back and do a final fix.
Thanks for getting back to me on this I REALLY appreaciate it.
P.s on a final note, the 110mm dagger stem that holds a non intergeated bar that will work on an IA4?
Cheers,
Pete
Pete,
Ok, good luck. Installation steps need to be carefully followed. It's crucial to your safety.
The non-integrated stem will fit the IA4, yes.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply

Prev Next