Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Uncut steerer tube - now what? [Toan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toan wrote:
Just got an IA10 frameset with an uncut steerer tube...I plan on using the stock aluminum Felt Tri155 stem... ditch the stock Felt stem and use a normal stem.
I recommend just about any other stem than the TRi155 stem. The clamp that secures it to the steerer tube is easy to break. Mine broke on its own during a race, and I broke another installing its replacement. The problem is that it is made of cheap pot metal, and it only has a thin band of material across the top.

Second, the brake cable routing design goes across the top of the stem and under the cap. The cap is pretty much designed to crush the cable and impede rear brake performance.

Third, the Tri155's steerer tube clamping height is shorter than almost every every stem on the market, so you will end up cutting to a guess until you move to a better stem.

I would start with a better stem and cut the tube taller to fit that stem. The only downside is that the Tri155 stem integrates aesthetically better, but the downsides are not worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Uncut steerer tube - now what? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I would start with a better stem and cut the tube taller to fit that stem. The only downside is that the Tri155 stem integrates aesthetically better, but the downsides are not worth it.

OK I think that makes sense and you may have convinced me. For the longer term, any specific stems that help clean up the cable routing (but still allows easy disassembly of the base bar from stem for packing purposes)? I've seen the Tririg Sigma X, Felt Dagger stem mentioned, any others? Of course I will have to check if my coordinates will fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Uncut steerer tube - now what? [Toan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not the best to ask on the stem, because I have the Alpha X, which I totally love. That said, there are a number of very good ones I have seen around, including the Sigma X, Felt Dagger, Culprit, Profile Aeria Ultimate, 3T Integra, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the easiest way to adjust the rear brake pads? I'm having a tough time seeing what I'm doing since the brakes aren't that visible.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [bbqdbanana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easiest way is to tuen the bike on a 90 degree angle in your stand. Run your cable barrel adjuster out until the pads are firm against the rim, adjust your pads, and then run the barrel adjuster back out.

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Genji40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mind blown!

Love the barrel adjuster idea. I was holding the brake down instead like a dummy!

I can't seem to find much information about the stock Shimano 105 rear brake. Is the barrel adjusted that small screw on the left?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [bbqdbanana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your shop should have installed a barrel adjuster for the brake on the cable housing before it enters your frame - probably says Felt or Jagwire on it. That is the easiest one to use.

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Genji40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Genji40 wrote:
Your shop should have installed a barrel adjuster for the brake on the cable housing before it enters your frame - probably says Felt or Jagwire on it. That is the easiest one to use.

Hope this helps
Helps me out big time!

I was looking for the adjuster under the frame near the rear brake.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave(and who ever else can help with my challenge),

I recently acquired a 2015 IA4 and need to go lower than the bars on top set up will allow, so that means undermounting the extensions. Most of the photos i see of this accomplishment are from a distance and therefore hard to see. Is it possible that you could take a close-up photo[/b] of the set up required to get the bars under-mounted on the intrgrated bar and the exact parts required. I have the feeling this will be the perfect race machine once i can get 1.5 inches lower.....

thanks for any effort in advance,

Pete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
mtstanek wrote:
Questions guys...I have an IA2. I have seen pictures of the pads being mounted to the top of the base bar and the extensions coming out from under the base bar. Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of this? Thank you

Here's a pic from the front of my IA with the extensions below the base bar:
Maybe they're just a universal type fit, but my pads where installed by the shop facing the other way, ie: with the curve to the outside...
Is there a reason for your choice Dave, or are mine wrong!?... :-/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am nowhere near my bike right now, but trying to order a blanking plug for the rear mech cable exit on the chainstay.
Can anyone tell me what the ID of the hole is, please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the 2019 IA FRD and IAx are ketting disc brakes 😀

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:

So glad I got the 2018 then and I wanted to hold off another year but I was afraid Felt was going to disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
mtstanek wrote:
Questions guys...I have an IA2. I have seen pictures of the pads being mounted to the top of the base bar and the extensions coming out from under the base bar. Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of this? Thank you

Maybe they're just a universal type fit, but my pads where installed by the shop facing the other way, ie: with the curve to the outside...

I’m sure they look more aero and prettier that way, but -
You’d be at risk of having your elbows slide out when hitting a bump, etc that way.

There’s not much (if any) force trying to push your elbows further in - but plenty trying to move them out.
I’d want the pads set to best resist that force.

With wet/sweaty arms, that’s an accident waiting to happen.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
rbe wrote:

So glad I got the 2018 then and I wanted to hold off another year but I was afraid Felt was going to disc brakes.

I wait for the 2019 model. Just for the disc brakes. Hope we get some photos of the models soon

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
hopper1 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
mtstanek wrote:

I’m sure they look more aero and prettier that way, but -
You’d be at risk of having your elbows slide out when hitting a bump, etc that way.

There’s not much (if any) force trying to push your elbows further in - but plenty trying to move them out.
I’d want the pads set to best resist that force.

With wet/sweaty arms, that’s an accident waiting to happen.

It's a matter of taste and fit I would say.
I use them tbe other way around, as I reckon most people do. However, if I rode on better roads and/or didn't feel I needed the pads to do much to hold me in place, that placement might be fine. For ond thing it allows an easier exit from the extensions if goinv fir the brakes in a hurry.

The picture you're commenting on was posted by former product manager for Felt (I think that was his position) who used to, and sometimes still does, provide a lot of technical advice for Felt stuff. I think he's a senior guy at 3T now. Also, the picture is from Tririg who design and build their own high end cockpits, so I doubt the installation is just a screw up!😉
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jul 15, 18 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had mechanical issues yesterday with my IA1 and My Parlee Z2 road bike so, I did my long ride on my Trek Crossrip disc that I use as a commuter.....unbelievable how much better descents were on a bike that is quite a few steps below in overall quality just because of the disc brakes. I set two personal segment records on descents I do every week without even thinking about it.

I would have said that while I prefer the discs, that there probably wasn't that much of a difference....I was wrong. I won't get another bike without discs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:
rbe wrote:

I wait for the 2019 model. Just for the disc brakes. Hope we get some photos of the models soon

Hope so and it will be a good that we both will have what we wanted.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a quick look and found some pics of what could be the 2019 IA16 models - I believe this is from a Japanese website that I first found pics of the current year models, which ended up being correct. Looks I'll try and get a 2018 model then, as I prefer the red! And no disc brakes next year by the looks of it then?

https://ekanzaki.com/...l.php?product_id=920
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopper1 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
mtstanek wrote:

Yours are correct. I flip my arms rests this way at this width because I prefer the comfort it offers. It is no accident, it is not dangerous as I've ridden plenty of off-road miles, group rides, and technical roads with this bike and position. I have a UCI legal set up with 3T arm rests mounted with the elbow position much narrower and I've bounced out of them a couple times - never to the point of hitting the deck, but eye-opening and scary for sure.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Nicolopolus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicolopolus wrote:
Had a quick look and found some pics of what could be the 2019 IA16 models - I believe this is from a Japanese website that I first found pics of the current year models, which ended up being correct. Looks I'll try and get a 2018 model then, as I prefer the red! And no disc brakes next year by the looks of it then?https://ekanzaki.com/...l.php?product_id=920[/quote[/url]]

The IA16 would seem to me to be an important price point for Felt and since there are no plans by SRAM or Shimano to include a disc brake option for their 105-level components for base bars I don't think this model is an indication of where the rest of the product range for Felt (or the industry) is headed.

It will be exceptionally challenging to produce a triathlon bike today that is under $4000 with hydraulic disc brakes.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Nicolopolus wrote:
Had a quick look and found some pics of what could be the 2019 IA16 models - I believe this is from a Japanese website that I first found pics of the current year models, which ended up being correct. Looks I'll try and get a 2018 model then, as I prefer the red! And no disc brakes next year by the looks of it then?https://ekanzaki.com/...l.php?product_id=920[/quote[/url]]

The IA16 would seem to me to be an important price point for Felt and since there are no plans by SRAM or Shimano to include a disc brake option for their 105-level components for base bars I don't think this model is an indication of where the rest of the product range for Felt (or the industry) is headed.

It will be exceptionally challenging to produce a triathlon bike today that is under $4000 with hydraulic disc brakes.

-SD[/quote]

Interesting Dave. So seems if any IA bike next year includes disc brakes then we'd be looking at least the IA10. There's quite a gap already between the IA14 and 10 thanks to Di2 on the latter, but wouldn't disc brakes push the cost up even further?

Do they have to be hydraulic though? How about the semi hydraulic systems?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Nicolopolus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard that the IA 10 will have rim brakes.
Only ia frd and ia1 will have disc brakes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbe wrote:
I heard that the IA 10 will have rim brakes.
Only ia frd and ia1 will have disc brakes.

I guess that makes sense with the other superbikes that have disc brakes at around that price point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next