Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a 2018 IA1 does someone has a photo of it? I can only find a rendered picture of it.

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rear brake is a known issue on both series of IA, particularly in wet conditions with junk on the roads.

The IAx, though, apparently is more prone to the lock-up issue and more difficult to repair relative to the 10/14/16 series bikes.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an IA1, though not 2018. is there anything in particular you need a picture of?

also:
https://www.feltbicycles.com/...s/TT-Tri/IA/IA1.aspx

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The color. Is hard to see how it is on the render.

Happy with the bike? How are the breakes performing?

Follow my project on Project 100 miles / 4 hours
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
The rear brake is a known issue on both series of IA, particularly in wet conditions with junk on the roads.

The IAx, though, apparently is more prone to the lock-up issue and more difficult to repair relative to the 10/14/16 series bikes.
I've managed to never hear about that before. I don't think it's ever been mentioned in this thread despite ~2500 replies which is surprising. Or I haven't been paying attention.
I've ridden my IA14 (with stock brakes) many times in the rain without incident. What is it that is known to happen? Haven't the different models all come with different stock brakes? I'm confused as to what issue all models could have in common. Can you explain or point me to a discussion on this?

Regardless, 2 bikes having a similar brake related mechanical on the same ride sounds suspicious to me. My first thought would be to wonder did the same person set up both the same way, with some specific detail of their method lead to the dual failure issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a couple of forum threads on this issue, including but not limited to this one: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...brake_issue_P5278003

Additionally, Felt issued new brakes out to owners in 2014-2016 to attempt to address the issue: https://www.facebook.com/...ts/10156382568630228

Different dealers, all same result, all same basic story from dealers.

I love these bikes. I just wish Felt would have spec'd something like a Shimano direct mount brake and called it a day.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.
Those links only appear to be related to the original IA series not the IA10/14/16. Is that correct? It's the inclusion of all models in your comments that has me confused since they have different brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [rbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's pretty black, that's all I can really say.

Brakes are fine. I upgraded to with the kit provided by Felt, though I find setting the cable tension on the rear to be quite difficult, so it doesn't feel nearly as crisp or function as well as the front brake

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoping someone has had the same question and solved it-

I've been emailing 4iiii about L side power compatibility and they suggested that I get a shop to confirm the bike has the clearance for it. Wish I could but my bike is in another state until race week...

I'm riding a 2015 IA FRD:
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/felt/ia-frd

I have a Vision Metron FSA BB386 Crankset so the factory install isn't an option unfortunately, just gotta make sure I get the right arm and that it is clear to spin.

Anybody have success with 4iiii on their bikes (with the same frame)?

Thanks.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Jun 28, 18 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are substantially similar. The primary difference between the two brakes is the cover on the IAx series bikes (which, incidentally, does a very good job trapping grime and water in it, leading to more issues). However, the two non-x series bikes also suffered from brake lock.

There are apparently two after-market brakes now made to fit either bike, which is what two out of the three athletes are putting on their bikes.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:
Are those brakes on the extensions?

No, as mentioned by another poster they are Metron shifters. When assembled I had a 10 speed group and wanted to be able to retain the trim function on the 7800 FD as the Zipp crankset wasn't developed with the spacing that allowed the use of the 42t inner ring and the 11, 12, and 13t without interference on the 55T outer ring. While the Metron shifters were a commercial failure for FSA/Vision I much preferred them to the 1960's tech of a mechanical bar end shifter.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love that RED!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like the rubber grips on the brake extension are constantly working their way forward/spinning. They're fairly loose. Any solution, or should I just pull them and tape the area?

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard hair fixitive spray suggested. Never tried it myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2015 IA10 and thinking of upgrading from the v2-v3 clamps...whats really the difference? The retailer said that this is something I should pay for but I remember hearing that this would be a free swap. Thanks.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It shoul be free. V2 will have a fatigue break for those who put in more stress thou the handlebars. If you are very relaxed the same will happen but it takes longer.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks thats what I thought.....I will check in with Felt Germany and see what they say.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine were free, however if you are the second owner that may be different.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am the original owner.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be free. Make the switch even if you have to pay
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I paid for my replacements. Had no idea that it would be covered. The V3s are a bit hunkier than the V2s. I read about a few breaking and realizing how catastrophic that would be I just got the newer ones. At the time the bike shop had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe now it is more of a known problem or potential problem.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [blackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a new IA16, anyone have a picture of the v2 and v3 clamps? Or is there an easy way to distinguish between the two?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [thagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thagan wrote:
Just ordered a new IA16, anyone have a picture of the v2 and v3 clamps? Or is there an easy way to distinguish between the two?

On top of clamps you will see a V3. Since you just ordered it should have the current version.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [thagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Uncut steerer tube - now what? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Just got an IA10 frameset with an uncut steerer tube. Now I will cut it down (with 32 TPI hacksaw and cutting guide), but I need to know what size/length (measure twice, cut once).

I plan on using the stock aluminum Felt Tri155 stem with the accompanying shaped aero non-round Felt stem cap for now, but want the option of using any other normal stem later on.

If I cut down the steerer tube to a size where a normal stem fits on the steerer tube with normal stem cap BUT
I still use the stock Felt stem + matching Felt stem cap, I assume I have to use a spacer between the non-round/shaped Felt spacer and the stem. Does this work? I'm not sure if the shaped stem + round spacer + shaped stem cap mates correctly, providing the even compression required from a stem cap.

Other options:
- use a normal round stem cap on top of the stock Felt stem
- ditch the stock Felt stem and use a normal stem

Would love to hear what people have done with their extra-long steerer tubes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next