Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [synthetic] [ In reply to ]

Hell, I'll give her no rules, if she can exercise by S/B/R for 50 straight days w/ all that travel, more power to her. Just be honest with what each day is, that would be my only "rule".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

Ralph20 wrote:
All the negativity here is pretty hilarious. Someone posted that it is even insulting to triathletes for her to try this, lol. Look, she is in amazing shape and she has to be incredibly disciplined. So for anyone to post that she hasn't done her homework or training is misleading. No one knows what she can do. But if you had to lean a certain way you could probably bet she is organized, does her homework, and sticks to a plan.

She is an athlete, she get's to try insane things. Cause we all do and that's how we learn. The attitude here is overwhelmingly negative and idiotic. Great things can't happen unless someone gets off their ass and tries it. I have no idea how she will do. But without doubt, if she succeeds everyone on this rant will say "oh she cut this corner", etc. How about this thread takes a turn and we all offer some advice on how to do this successfully??

Are you saying she'll succeed? Because if you aren't, or she doesn't, everything you wrote carries less weight than a sneeze.

And yes I saw your "I have no idea". That's my very point - it's a cop-out. Make a prediction or stop complaining about other people's. Either you'll be right and able to lord it over us, or you'll eat crow. No having it both ways.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

if she can exercise by S/B/R for 50 straight days w/ all that travel, more power to her. Just be honest with what each day is, that would be my only "rule". //

This is the thing that all her defenders here just don't get. I said it was like a slap in the face to triathletes, but it is worse than that. So here is a gal that has never done an ironman(presumably), telling us that doing 50 in a row in 50 days is not really hard enough for her. That is the walk in the park so to speak, so she has to double the difficulty by adding in this asinine 50 different state thingy too. Let's face it, we are all just a bunch of pussies, and you deca folks are just getting warmed up for her...

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [synthetic] [ In reply to ]

synthetic wrote:
Since we all are aware of this in advance, why don't we flood her social media with the rules. I'm fine with a pool for the swim and maybe a treadmill at most (but then has to have back up data tracker such as Garmin indoor mode). Bike, must be done in the real world though. 17h max
Because we have better things to do?

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

CU427 wrote:
satanellus wrote:
rjrankin wrote:
She allegedly did a 230 mile run through Haiti earlier, although there was zero tracking at all. Her cause is admirable. She raises a ton of money for Haitian orphanages, but I think she's about as likely to finish this as I believe she finished the run.

The legitimacy and credibility of any solo run relies on verification and, to a certain extent, the reputation and record of the athlete involved.

As best as I can see, this run comes up short with those criteria, although I'm happy to be corrected.

The only competitive result I've seen for Ashley (assuming it's the same person) is a 13:26 BOP finish at the Bel Monte 50 Mile in 2015.

That result alone doesn't indicate an athlete capable or suitably experienced to knock out 230 miles in 72 hours in temperatures in the mid to high 80s.

Not everyone does this stuff in competition to have a valid result. Plus we all know courses these days are notoriously short.

Perhaps she has done a lot away from competitive races to prepare herself?

She has a deep background in fitness and consistent training daily. I think people need to look beyond what her athlinks says and actually view her as an athlete. She has a credible resume of athletics. You don't need to be a seasoned Ironman veteran with an long list of internet results to be able to be fit. I think many on the internet community miss this.

But that's just me, it seems triathletes get really irritated when non-triathletes come into their playground and aim to do something great.

The off-putting reception of triathletes on hear lets me know why more and more people dislike triathletes and are leaving the sport for other ventures.

Will she complete all of it? Doubtful, but I bet she will do better then 99% of the ST community ever could.

Your as lost as she is!

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [monty] [ In reply to ]

It's only 48 states... So Ic's record is safe

Do you think IM mind her using thier brand? Is it diminishing thier brand or promoting it?Tomorrow is that cute one day ironman in frankfurt right?

Could a e-cyclist get away with saying they are doing three tour De Frances in 9 weeks... Not in france?

synthetic wrote:
fulla wrote:
She looks incredibly lean already, albeit quite muscular - I'm not sure how a woman gets that muscular and lean without 'assistance'. to whoever was talking about her eating donuts - she looks like she needs to eat a few.

With that assistance and poor diet, it will catch her in the end (you may look lean, but arteries still clog) . Many people worry about PED athletes winning competitions, but look down the road they have shortened their lifespan big time - cancer, heart disease , liver disease

Maybe so but their names are in the record books for all time. Have you heard of the survey some psychologist did maybe 20 yrs ago, where he asked around 1000 or so top Olympic athletes the question: "If someone offered you a pill that would guarantee, absolutely guarantee, that you would win an Oly gold, but you would die a year later, would you take the pill?" Somewhere around 70% said they would take it. Hell, I myself would take it; I'd much rather win an Oly gold and then die at 22 rather than live to 100 as just an average athlete. Unfortunately, no one has quite come up with that level of doping yet. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]

Ralph20 wrote:
All the negativity here is pretty hilarious.

The attitude here is overwhelmingly negative and idiotic.

Could be worse

Could be Letsrun

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]

Pun_Times wrote:
monty wrote:
I think the reason she is catching so much shit about this here and elsewhere with athletes, is because she is mocking what we do. She shows no respect, has no real credentials to even think she could do 1/10 of this endeavor. It just feels like a slap in the face.

This

X2

Lots of crossfitters and the like TALK about doing a triathlon...”I mean, I can run, I can ride a bike...”

Just stop right there! Seriously...shut it, already. You can’t “ride a bike “ as well as you think. You would swim like a rock (which you know, hence never ACTUALLY doing a triathlon.

Forehead slap

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [windschatten] [ In reply to ]

"Mighty big words you are using. Ever done an Ironman? Just curious and would love to see you backing up your claimed expertise."

Big words? Are you drunk? What does my race experience have to do with this? I'm merely saying that she's a disciplined athlete. And disciplined athletes have the right to push the envelope. Her trying this endeavor doesn't insult triathletes or the sport. It shows respect that someone from another fitness realm wants to take this on. Hell, she could quit on the first day for all I know. But she's bringing positive press to the sport which is something it desperately needs. All I'm saying is that instead of coming on here and bashing her maybe it could take a more positive turn.

Ralph20 wrote:
"Mighty big words you are using. Ever done an Ironman? Just curious and would love to see you backing up your claimed expertise."

Big words? Are you drunk? What does my race experience have to do with this? I'm merely saying that she's a disciplined athlete. And disciplined athletes have the right to push the envelope. Her trying this endeavor doesn't insult triathletes or the sport. It shows respect that someone from another fitness realm wants to take this on. Hell, she could quit on the first day for all I know. But she's bringing positive press to the sport which is something it desperately needs. All I'm saying is that instead of coming on here and bashing her maybe it could take a more positive turn.

Agreed.

Triathlon and Ironman needs more mainstream media attention, or at least thats what I feel many want for the sport to grow.

This is an excellent opportunity for that to happen. And instead of the community welcoming the challenge and encouraging her, it's just a straight up bash on her "lack of experience", disrespect to the sport and race, etc.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]

IntenseOne wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

- I think your 1300 Mile Run effort, while impressive, is not remotely in the same ball park. I cannot think of any examples of any athlete successfully completing 50 consecutive days of 12 hours plus of high aerobic level work, which include 4 hours ish of running. Doing 50 consecutive days is not twice as hard as doing 25, it is more likely 4x as hard, and compared to a deca, it is probably at least 10x

You mean like trying to set the Appalachian trail record in less than fifty days? The terrain is not exactly flat asphalt either.

I have no idea what that means, as I am not familiar with the Appalachian trail record. How many hours a day is that averaging? Is it running, or hiking?
I am aware of Dean Karnasis running 50 marathons in 50 days, so while that is running, it is “only” about 4 hours a day, which leaves plenty of time for recovery, nutrition and sleep. No where near the 16-18 hours a day proposed.
I personally have done the Ultraman in Hawaii once. That is 3 days. I averaged just over 8 hours a day, and I barely had enough time for minimal recovery, nutrition and sleep, and I did not have to travel anywhere between the days. I could not have done many more, and my crew was even completely exhausted my the end of the 3fd day double marathon. They were so bad that I had to drive them home immediately after I completed the run! I can assure you, know one was thinking “Let’s keep going for 47 more days”, and this was some of the very best ultra endurance athletes in the world. 3 days was enough to experience the wheels absolutely beginning to fall off, and this was “only” 8 hours a day. If someone has actually run 16 plus hours a day, without any rest days, or shorter “recovery” days, than I stand corrected, and maybe this person is an exception, but since there are no specific per day requirements, I would assume the 50 day requirement would include multiple “recovery” days. Even Grand tour riders get 2 recovery days over the 3 weeks, and they are “only” averaging 5 hours per day (much of which sheltered in a draft pack, aka peloton, and they have professional assistance with their day to day recovery. BTW- with no running involved, pre EPO and blood doping, the riders hematocrit levels would fall 10-15% over the duration of the tour ;-)

Lessons learned.

Being a good athlete doesn't guarantee someone is going to be an efficient, organised and effective crew member.

One mistake I see a lot is an inexperienced athlete matched with an inexperienced crew. Sounds like that was your situation in your first ultraman.

Crewing doesn't stop when the athlete crosses the line. Often that's when the crew is needed most.

Crewing for 8 hours or longer each day for weeks or even months on end is not unusual in the world of ultras.

Professional cyclists train and race at a level very different to what we're talking about. It's a different game entirely and it's not comparable.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]

IntenseOne wrote:
satanellus wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
satanellus wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
Things to consider-

- accumulation of sleep deprivation- she would need at least 9-10 hours a day of quality sleep to support this. Her plan is for less than 6 in a moving RV
- Nutrition- it will be impossible to absorb enough calories during the proposed IM’s, and there is no time planned to properly take in the deficit on a day to day basis
- hematocrit- her hematocrit level will start a massive nose dive after 5 or 6 days (if she even makes it that far. And then there are the cascading problems of other physiological breakdowns that will be ocuuring
- logistics- just driving to all 48 states in 48 days would be a tough go! I have not mapped it out, but 1 would guess north of 20,000 miles of driving, so considering traffic, gasoline stops, probable maintenance needs.... at least an average of 10 hours a day for transport, which now leaves less than 14 hours on average for each IM
- So even with world class fitness, this appears to be an impossible effort. The physical toll would be more exponential than linear, as there is simply not enough time for proper nutrition and recovery, even for the Cam Wurf example.
- this is essentially like someone saying they have mentally prepared to run a legitimate sub 2 hour marathon....GOOD LUCK!

I don't think for a moment she had the experience, knowledge or training to do this, but I do think 50 IM in 50 days is eminently achievable for a suitably trained and experienced athlete.

The reason why a sub 2 hour marathon hasn't been achieved is that it's as yet outside the bounds of human potential and technology. Though as we saw last year, it's closer than many of us thought.

The only reason 50 IM in 50 days hasn't been done, is that there's insufficient financial or athletic lure for a decent number of athletes to have a crack at it. If there was an annual race with a viable prize money, we would see a proportion of athletes finishing it every year.

As for sleep deprivation, we see runners completing the Sri Chinmoy 1300 Miler each year on less than 6 hours per day.

Nutrition is relatively easy compared to running. It is far easier to consume calories on the bike than while running.

Haematocrit levels will take a beating, but that's the nature of multi-day endurance and it's hardly a show-stopper. It is "only" 26 miles of running a day. Running knocks about haematocrit levels through heel-strike haemolysis in a way that cycling and swimming do not.

I agree logistics are another matter. Anyone doing this needs an superbly efficient support crew behind them. The athlete shouldn't be the one to run the show. They need to think about one thing only and let the crew take care of all else.

- I think your 1300 Mile Run effort, while impressive, is not remotely in the same ball park. I cannot think of any examples of any athlete successfully completing 50 consecutive days of 12 hours plus of high aerobic level work, which include 4 hours ish of running. Doing 50 consecutive days is not twice as hard as doing 25, it is more likely 4x as hard, and compared to a deca, it is probably at least 10x

Sorry, that was a typo. It was meant to read 3100 Miler.

Though it's hardly my 3100 Mile effort, I certainly have never entered, let alone completed, a race like that.

You may be right that it isn't in the same ballpark. I'd rate the Sri Chinmoy 3100 Miler as a tougher proposition. My reference to runners completing it "on less than 6 hours per day" was in relation to the amount of sleep they get, not the time they spend running. They are on track up to 18 hours a day. The race record is 41 days and 8 hours. 75 miles a day.

There's your example of prolonged, consecutive, long days of aerobic work that says 50 IM in 50 days can be done.

50 consecutive IM is a lot of time spent swimming, cycling and running each day, but it's spread across three disciplines and only one is weight-bearing. It is "only" 26 miles of running a day.

No doubt an amazing accomplishment, but as I noted, there is a world of difference between 8 hours of work each day for 41 straight days, and 16 plus hours of work each day for 50 days, as each extra hour of work is 1 less hour for recovery, and 1 more hour of calorie deficit.
Let’s see how far she gets doing it honestly, my guess is 4-5 max

Where did you get 8 hours of running a day?

OK. I'll try this one more time. Try to concentrate.

3100 miles of running. Record is 41 days. 75 miles/day. Up to 18 hours of running a day.

Multi-day ultra running of this calibre is way harder than doing an Ironman a day for a similar extended period.

If ultra runners can race like that, there are certainly triathletes out there capable of 50 IM in 50 days, which is patently an easier challenge.

If you don't believe me about which is easier, have a go one weekend at backing up IM distances on the Saturday and Sunday. Aim to finish comfortably enough to back up the following day. Run a timed 10 miles on Monday.

Give yourself a months rest and try to back up two 75 mile running days over the weekend. Run a timed 10 miles on Monday.

Compare your run times. And please report back.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [chriselam] [ In reply to ]

chriselam wrote:
That 3100 mile race is 52 days, so just under 60 miles per day of running. Record finishing time is 47 days, so even more per day. I've never done anything longer than a marathon running-wise, but I would think that an Ironman a day would be easier because it is "only" 26 miles of running.

Holy crap! A triathlete who gets it!

You're a rare breed.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]

chxddstri wrote:

X2

Lots of crossfitters and the like TALK about doing a triathlon...”I mean, I can run, I can ride a bike...”

Just stop right there! Seriously...shut it, already. You can’t “ride a bike “ as well as you think. You would swim like a rock (which you know, hence never ACTUALLY doing a triathlon.

Forehead slap

Let's be honest, completing a triathlon isn't really that hard. If it's a wetsuit swim without big waves or currents, then most reasonably fit people with basic swimming skills are capable of getting through a sprint or Olympic distance. HIM and IM require a bit more dedicated endurance training. Actually being competitive in your AG is obviously a different kettle of fish.

If this lady really has done 230 miles of running in 3 days then assuming she's not a complete novice swimmer then she certainly has the fitness and attitude to do an IM comfortably under the 17 hour mark. I seriously doubt she can back it up for 50 days, or probably even for 10, but I guess we'll find out.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

CU427 wrote:
satanellus wrote:
rjrankin wrote:
She allegedly did a 230 mile run through Haiti earlier, although there was zero tracking at all. Her cause is admirable. She raises a ton of money for Haitian orphanages, but I think she's about as likely to finish this as I believe she finished the run.

The legitimacy and credibility of any solo run relies on verification and, to a certain extent, the reputation and record of the athlete involved.

As best as I can see, this run comes up short with those criteria, although I'm happy to be corrected.

The only competitive result I've seen for Ashley (assuming it's the same person) is a 13:26 BOP finish at the Bel Monte 50 Mile in 2015.

That result alone doesn't indicate an athlete capable or suitably experienced to knock out 230 miles in 72 hours in temperatures in the mid to high 80s.

Not everyone does this stuff in competition to have a valid result. Plus we all know courses these days are notoriously short.

Perhaps she has done a lot away from competitive races to prepare herself?

She has a deep background in fitness and consistent training daily. I think people need to look beyond what her athlinks says and actually view her as an athlete. She has a credible resume of athletics. You don't need to be a seasoned Ironman veteran with an long list of internet results to be able to be fit. I think many on the internet community miss this.

But that's just me, it seems triathletes get really irritated when non-triathletes come into their playground and aim to do something great.

The off-putting reception of triathletes on hear lets me know why more and more people dislike triathletes and are leaving the sport for other ventures.

Will she complete all of it? Doubtful, but I bet she will do better then 99% of the ST community ever could.

The problem as I see it is she doesn't do a lot to prepare herself. In her words, when it comes to ultras "I don't train for them" and "doesn't think you can train for an ultra."

Yet somehow she finishes BOP in a 50 miler, then cranks out a 50 mile/day 5 day run, then ups that to 75 miles a day for 3 days in Haiti.

Those numbers may not mean much to you or many others on this forum, but as an ultrarunner these performances appear obviously and peculiarly anomalous. They represent astounding improvement and achievement for someone who doesn't run much, no matter what other exercise she does.
Maybe there's some solid documentation of her solo runs available; strava files, spot tracker, independent witnesses. Hopefully there is.

You use the words credible and valid to describe her results. On face value alone, they are neither.

Unfortunately for Ashley, over many years ultramarathon running has seen many a publicity-seeking charlatan (not uncommonly with a charitable cause) claim extraordinary performances. These runners often come from outside the sport or, when they do compete, are unable to perform anywhere near the level they manage to achieve on their solo ventures. While they love the spotlight being shone on them, they invariably take exception if the spotlight is shifted to performance in any detail.

Whether it be running or triathlon, those in the sport are bound to be at best circumspect, possibly resentful when someone claims performances which lack veracity. It's not about being "irritated" when someone "come(s) into their playground and aim to do something great". It's about those who abuse the sport to fraudulently claim greatness. It's understandably seen as disrespectful to the real greats of the sport who train assiduously and perform with integrity within the sport.

Without transparency in her attempt at 50 IM in 50 days, Ashley won't be doing herself any favours.

Yes, she's "fit". No doubt. But this undertaking isn't about being "fit". It's about a very specific fitness which goes well beyond being IM fit.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

230 miles running is much more than... "Here, hold my whey smoothie... I'm going to try something!... "

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]

lacticturkey wrote:
230 miles running is much more than... "Here, hold my whey smoothie... I'm going to try something!... "

Fuck, that made me laugh!

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]

Taking a step back from all of this and looking at it from the outside world of non triathletes.

I think we can say that our sport has "arrived" when people do crazy stunts that are multiples of the largest unit of competition in our sport.

As irritated I was about IronCowboy's fake marketing, loose self regulation (these days, I will repeat a swim interval if I catch myself doing an illegal turn between strokes), his stunt or Ashley's actually do a bit of service to our sport overall, even though it might temporarily devalue the rigour of competion that real athletes live under inside the sport.

If there is a charity 24 hours of Tennis, I think the rest of the world largely understands that the rules at that corporate charity event will be run under will be nowhere close to what Federer has to conform to. The main thing is the they are going to play say 40 sets in instead of Federer doing 5 sets and they will brag about it, and that's fine. It took nothing away from Federer, it just promoted tennis.

Next year, no one will remember the 24 hour of tennis local champ. They will remember Federer even though the local news gave more time to the 24 hour champ as they gave to Serena or Federer this weekend....its all OK.

Let's sit back and see how she rolls. Maybe if anyone has any connection to her, we can collective offer suggestions on what she needs to do to get through...the collective on this board has immense cumulative Triathlon IQ that she would benefit from.

...and seriously speaking if we get a woman in sport doing 50/50/50, that's like Emilie Earhart's first solo Atlantic Aviation crossing. And if she does it legit, she's the first human ever. Would that not be cool if a woman beats all of us to 50/50/50? (I don't count IC having done 50/50/50 due to elliptical gate).

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

Dev,

If we “allow” the rules to be bent can you then make a claim of it being 50/50?

Is riding on a trainer at 38 mph for 3 hours acceptable? Or in case of IC can she run on stair stepper in place of “running” and it still legitly say she did it.

Because I agree with your 1st part of your comments. But you can’t say the rules will be more relaxed and then make claims about record setting performances with it qualifying as 50/50 etc. you can’t have it both ways imo.

So if you want this to be a charitably anything goes movement and I’m actually suggesting that (I think she should basically do anything she wants, just be up front with what she does). You just then can’t claim it as some reputable mark.

If she wants to ride on a trainer for 3 hours and say she did 112mi more power to her. She’s just going to get “clowned” by the people who care even if that’s a minority while the rest of the population marvels at her “accomplishment”.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

I'm not saying I want her to fail but...

The truth of the matter is if she's honest about what she's doing I'm fine with it but don't post some b*******numbers that anyone who's done Triathlon will look at and know is completely full of s***and claim that you've Done 50 in 50.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

Jeez, the negativity and arrogance in this thread is unreal. How many of you have tried to raise this much money and awareness for a good cause? Even if she breaks even financially, she's bringing attention to a cause that's important to her (this thread would be case in point). Her goals are lofty, but not insurmountable. Even if she succeeds, I'm sure some of the 'heroes' on this thread will be critical of how she does it. Personally, I'll be following her journey and sending POSITIVE vibes.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

B_Doughtie wrote:
Dev,

If we “allow” the rules to be bent can you then make a claim of it being 50/50?

Is riding on a trainer at 38 mph for 3 hours acceptable? Or in case of IC can she run on stair stepper in place of “running” and it still legitly say she did it.

Because I agree with your 1st part of your comments. But you can’t say the rules will be more relaxed and then make claims about record setting performances with it qualifying as 50/50 etc. you can’t have it both ways imo.

So if you want this to be a charitably anything goes movement and I’m actually suggesting that (I think she should basically do anything she wants, just be up front with what she does). You just then can’t claim it as some reputable mark.

If she wants to ride on a trainer for 3 hours and say she did 112mi more power to her. She’s just going to get “clowned” by the people who care even if that’s a minority while the rest of the population marvels at her “accomplishment”.

I think we are in agreement. If she wants to do a charity free for all, call it that. Don't claim it is an Everest Summit or a solo tran atlantic crossing like Earhart if you violate the rules of a legit performance (equivalent would be flying from NYC to Newfoundland, getting a commercial ride Iceland and then flying into Paris solo.....or gettting a heli ride from base camp to camp 3 and then doing the rest of Everest". So if she does it legit, she's first every 50/50/50....if she does free for all, then it's just a marketing ploy and that's fine too.

I THINK the problem we all have is when she claims the achievement while breaking established sport rules. Right now, I don't think we know what she is going to do. If she breaks established rules, then let's call her out on it, and just say she is doing a marketing stunt. But if she sticks to them, that's an achievement I think we can all support and I hope she can legitimately pull it off.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Olu] [ In reply to ]

Olu wrote:
Jeez, the negativity and arrogance in this thread is unreal. How many of you have tried to raise this much money and awareness for a good cause? Even if she breaks even financially, she's bringing attention to a cause that's important to her (this thread would be case in point). Her goals are lofty, but not insurmountable. Even if she succeeds, I'm sure some of the 'heroes' on this thread will be critical of how she does it. Personally, I'll be following her journey and sending POSITIVE vibes.

It's not about negativity and no one's knocking her for trying to raise money it's about honesty and a complete lack of it so if you're fine with people lying and claiming it's a good thing by all means carry on

Prev Next