Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Fishbum wrote:
Absolutely I'll take that deal. I don't want to hear any cop outs though about injuries or Logistics she either does it or she doesn't

Sounds good!

Does it have to be a sancationed open water 10k swim or are we allowing a 10k pool swim?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]

justinhorne wrote:
When is she supposed to start? I don't see a day.
Reading is hard.

August 8. Full distance Ironman.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]

I would like to say open but that's just not completely feasible the only large body of water near me that would have events like that would be the Chesapeake Bay so I would say pool swims acceptable. Is there any stipulations we need to lay down I don't want to hear about any loopholes

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]

Tri Bread wrote:
justinhorne wrote:
When is she supposed to start? I don't see a day.

Reading is hard.

August 8. Full distance Ironman.

To be fair, in my defense, I'm really dumb.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Im assuming she will need to do the things the iron cowboy did to complete this. Indoor rides, pools, treadmills, elliptical, IV bags, etc. I’m okay with this.

If something comes up that is funky we can split the difference and each do 5k?

If she pulls out before the thing even starts the bet is off. She recently pulled out of the Iceland ring road.

Pool swim is good on my end. 3 hours of a black line is more torture anyways.

Note: I am a good sport and won’t put up a fight over semantics. If I lose it’s just more training in the bank!

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]

She looks incredibly lean already, albeit quite muscular - I'm not sure how a woman gets that muscular and lean without 'assistance'. to whoever was talking about her eating donuts - she looks like she needs to eat a few.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [fulla] [ In reply to ]

fulla wrote:
She looks incredibly lean already, albeit quite muscular - I'm not sure how a woman gets that muscular and lean without 'assistance'. to whoever was talking about her eating donuts - she looks like she needs to eat a few.

With that assistance and poor diet, it will catch her in the end (you may look lean, but arteries still clog) . Many people worry about PED athletes winning competitions, but look down the road they have shortened their lifespan big time - cancer, heart disease , liver disease
Last edited by: synthetic: Jul 5, 18 14:44

Agree

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [synthetic] [ In reply to ]

Sooo... Why hasn't anyone on ST taken on the challenge? //

Because it would be really, really hard?? I think the reason she is catching so much shit about this here and elsewhere with athletes, is because she is mocking what we do. She shows no respect, has no real credentials to even think she could do 1/10 of this endeavor. It just feels like a slap in the face. IT would be like saying all I would have to do is drive around a racetrack in a race car for a couple months, then I could hang in the Daytona 500. She somehow thinks a 12 hour first ironman is the low bar for her, we know it would be more like the pinnacle of several years of training, and then one big great race. It really is about respect, she is showing none whatsoever towards our sport, so she is getting like in return...

As to who could actually do this kind of thing, it would have to be an ironman pro of some sort, the kind that does big miles usually. Probably a guy like Peter Vabrosek, or similar person that has shown huge capabilities in recovery, and not getting injured. Really just a handful of people in the entire world that could accomplish something like this, legitimately.
Last edited by: monty: Jul 5, 18 16:53

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [monty] [ In reply to ]

One of her accomplishments was running 70 miles in 3 days

That is not even a marathon a day. Add in another 47 days as well as 2.4 miles of swimming and 112 biking per day

Ahhhhhhhh no

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

Some people run 100 miles in 12 hours.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

One of her accomplishments was running 70 miles in 3 days //

It says in the article she did 230 miles in 3 days, but still a far cry from what she is spouting out here. Not saying that isn't good mileage in 3 days, but I had a friend back in the early 80's who did a 100 miles in 12 hours. That is the kind of athlete that should be attempting something like this, not a cross fit weekend endurance warrior...

I have no idea who this woman is.. but 10 seconds of googling found me a twitter post (I don’t twitter so someone else can link it needed) that she biked 65 hours and 1200 miles in the last two weeks.

Then google showed me she did a Virginia to Oklahoma ride in June (bunch of YouTube videos).

But best of luck. I’m guessing 2-5 range.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]

My guess is 1.8. She gets to the 2nd marathon but doesn't finish it.

That said, I know nothing about this person so what do I know. But it sounds like she knows nothing about how hard it is to recover from an Ironman, so what does she know.

My mate has completed double and triple Ironmans (continuous, one discipline at a time, double or triple each distance) and gave it a bloody good shot trying to complete a Deca, but could "only" make it to day 7.

Kind of hope she proves us all wrong though, just because humans are capable of crazy stuff and it is nice to be surprised.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [monty] [ In reply to ]

Cam Wurf is on a roll. He set the bike course record in Nice and the next weekend sets the Roth bike course record and goes sub 8. I wonder if Cam could string together 50 sub 10's in 50 days?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

Ya, a guy like Cam would be a good candidate. He could shoot for 12 hours each day and see how it goes. 12 hours for him would be like a 100HR super easy cruise. But over time, even those can take a toll on you. His advantage of course is that he would get 12 hours to recover vx just a few for someone like the iron cowboy. This gal, not even worth speculating on, she is clueless...

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]

She allegedly did a 230 mile run through Haiti earlier, although there was zero tracking at all. Her cause is admirable. She raises a ton of money for Haitian orphanages, but I think she's about as likely to finish this as I believe she finished the run.

monty wrote:
I think the reason she is catching so much shit about this here and elsewhere with athletes, is because she is mocking what we do. She shows no respect, has no real credentials to even think she could do 1/10 of this endeavor. It just feels like a slap in the face.

This

Matt

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [knighty76] [ In reply to ]

I don’t think she’ll complete 50 IM in 50 days but she is already winning. I’m guessing her world is similar to amateur triathletes who are “sponsored”. Her goal is to prove to her sponsors that she is relevant and has a following. So she does these ridiculously hard challenges and every time gets new eyeballs. The first post here has been viewed 2700 times, if you’re like me, you had no idea who she was so you googled her and then settled into her Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc. 2700 new clicks in one day is pretty impressive.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]

If anyone wants to take some bets - I'll go 3 and done here.

I'll give her 6. She will have lots of publicity and the thought of the orphanage motivating her but mental strength only works so far after your body breaks down.

And for those people questioning if she will take drugs, she has to be clean, she's raising funds for a charity...

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]

What would be harder to complete: 50 Ironman races in 50 days, or watching "Ironman" once per day over 50 consecutive days?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [140triguy] [ In reply to ]

My guess is 10-15,....but with a HUGE amount of modifications. There will be logistic issues which force a missed day after 2 or 3. She'll plod along shooting for 50 in 51 or something like that. Then the events will get progressively lamer. Biking on trainer with no resistance, using treadmills, then ellipticals, then substituting rowing for the run, etc. I actually wonder if a top tier pro could do 50 legitimate 140.6's in 50 different states in a row with the bike and run being outdoors. That's a LOT of travel time and logistics.... Not to mention the running!

How many consecutive 140.6s do the peanut gallery think they could do assuming travel to another state afterwards? My guess for myself is 4 but I may be completely delusional with even that. (exactly 1 140.6 experience,..11:45)

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [chuy] [ In reply to ]

chuy wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Sooo... Why hasn't anyone on ST taken on the challenge? Since we will adhere to rules and distances... The most moronic stipulation both iron elliptical and this lady make is the varying locations. Easy setup for failure

Full time job in finance. Have tried to race the double deca in the past (20) and have been immediately shot down at work. If it wasn't for work id love to try over 50 following actual IUTA rules.

Yeah, your signature tells me that you do a lot of tris.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]

rjrankin wrote:
She allegedly did a 230 mile run through Haiti earlier, although there was zero tracking at all. Her cause is admirable. She raises a ton of money for Haitian orphanages, but I think she's about as likely to finish this as I believe she finished the run.

The legitimacy and credibility of any solo run relies on verification and, to a certain extent, the reputation and record of the athlete involved.

As best as I can see, this run comes up short with those criteria, although I'm happy to be corrected.

The only competitive result I've seen for Ashley (assuming it's the same person) is a 13:26 BOP finish at the Bel Monte 50 Mile in 2015.

That result alone doesn't indicate an athlete capable or suitably experienced to knock out 230 miles in 72 hours in temperatures in the mid to high 80s.

monty wrote:
One of her accomplishments was running 70 miles in 3 days //

It says in the article she did 230 miles in 3 days, but still a far cry from what she is spouting out here. Not saying that isn't good mileage in 3 days, but I had a friend back in the early 80's who did a 100 miles in 12 hours. That is the kind of athlete that should be attempting something like this, not a cross fit weekend endurance warrior...

Who was your friend? That's seriously world class.

The late Don Ritchie's 100 mile world record of 11:30 stood for decades from 1977. Don passed away just a couple of weeks ago, and will always be considered among the best ultra runners of all time.

Prev Next