Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]

Did you read the IC book before or after knowing how his own 50/50 IM quest went down? I'd have assumed it was evident just from his quest he's completely self absorbed.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]

mwanner13 wrote:
She should try to complete one Ironman before attempting her publicity stunt. I watched a video of her online and she doesn’t even know how to clip out of her pedals. She also appears to be gorging on donuts and so forth. It looks like the Iron Cowboy 2.0. Can she even swim? Consider me skeptical.

+1000, plus she says she's focusing on "mental preparedness" to "get her through negative thoughts". Well, she better be focusing on physical preparedness for all 3 disciplines. It doesn't matter how much you can bench press or dead lift if you don't have great fitness in SBR. In fact, i would say that her past emphasis on weight training is more of a hindrance rather than a help.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]

I'll take any and all bets at 1000-1 she cannot complete 50 in 50 days if that is what she is saying.....and its still not clear that is how this is going to work. If its simply 50 over any random 50 days with some days off etc. than at least that is "somewhat" plausible.

Good luck on her. Put me in the highly skeptical bucket on whether this is a true desire to raise money for a good cause or alternatively a means to get some publicity while failing well before the stated goal......given how unrealistic the goal is I fear the latter.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]

She has two very nice floatation devices in the right spot to help her swim. Not sure they are useful on the run though.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]

I guess anyone can swim it, or even bike it, but the run. If she actually runs any of it she is toast. Sorry not very many people can run 26mi a day for 50 days.
Also using “IRONMAN triathlon” means a certain distance and a certain time. If you disregard the time, why not change the distances too. This is as stupid as the guy who wants to do the Guinness Record for longest triathlon. Just arbitrary distances and as long as he wants

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

B_Doughtie wrote:
Did you read the IC book before or after knowing how his own 50/50 IM quest went down? I'd have assumed it was evident just from his quest he's completely self absorbed.

I did know how it turned out since I followed it while it was happening. Based on that I already figured the type of person we were dealing with here but nothing prepared me for the absolute level of immaturity and self-absorption from this guy that I read in the book. It is truly epic the level of self deception this guy is living under. It's the only way anybody would ever publish anything like that and be delusional enough to expect it to be inspirational in any way to anybody.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]

I like recovery vitamins.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]

Canuck1 wrote:
.and its still not clear that is how this is going to work. If its simply 50 over any random 50 days with some days off etc. than at least that is "somewhat" plausible.

In the video OP linked, she uses the phrase "50 straight days," so it does seem to be just simply that. We'll see.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]

Sbernardi wrote:
I guess anyone can swim it, or even bike it, but the run. If she actually runs any of it she is toast. Sorry not very many people can run 26mi a day for 50 days.
Also using “IRONMAN triathlon” means a certain distance and a certain time. If you disregard the time, why not change the distances too. This is as stupid as the guy who wants to do the Guinness Record for longest triathlon. Just arbitrary distances and as long as he wants

And on a semi-related note... how does the WTC feel about the use of their registered trademark?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]

ericmulk wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
She should try to complete one Ironman before attempting her publicity stunt. I watched a video of her online and she doesn’t even know how to clip out of her pedals. She also appears to be gorging on donuts and so forth. It looks like the Iron Cowboy 2.0. Can she even swim? Consider me skeptical.

+1000, plus she says she's focusing on "mental preparedness" to "get her through negative thoughts". Well, she better be focusing on physical preparedness for all 3 disciplines. It doesn't matter how much you can bench press or dead lift if you don't have great fitness in SBR. In fact, i would say that her past emphasis on weight training is more of a hindrance rather than a help.

mental preparedness, willpower, mental strength, etc. can only take you so far. allow the mental preparation in the world is not getting me to 2, 10, 50 Ironmans in consective days. I don't doubt her muscle can help her deal with the pounding on her body from 50 days of IM distance but, like you said, it won't matter if you don't have great SBR fitness.

I didn't find any race results for her on athlinks. Maybe she's done local triathlons?

haha this is laughable

That little video. Look at her cycling and look at her running technique. She has way to much muscle for her joints to handle even 3 in a row. She is a "fitness competitor". Her entire "sport" is just to look fit. Lifting weights in this manner is not a sport. What is the goal? To lift more weight but not too much weight as to look too big? A world strongest man or olympic lifter - yea that's a sport. They do not care how they look. They care about lifting maximum weight. Fitness competitors just want to look athletic, do some pushups, but not get to big as to not look like a fitness competitor anymore. Most do not do cardio, just have restrictive diets. I know many competitive girls who do this and they absolutely do not run haha

She is going to blow up.
Anyone else wants my soapbox? haha

She has about as good a chance of finishing this as Joey Chestnut would have. Both great athletes in inapplicable disciplines.

Totally doable - just got to choose your 'Ironman' : http://hermosabeachironman.com/

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [windschatten] [ In reply to ]

windschatten wrote:
Totally doable stunt.

With the right "supplementation" everything is possible.

Doubt she will be tested.

looking at her instagram feed, those supplements seem pretty strong

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

Twinkie wrote:
haha this is laughable

That little video. Look at her cycling and look at her running technique. She has way to much muscle for her joints to handle even 3 in a row. She is a "fitness competitor". Her entire "sport" is just to look fit. Lifting weights in this manner is not a sport. What is the goal? To lift more weight but not too much weight as to look too big? A world strongest man or olympic lifter - yea that's a sport. They do not care how they look. They care about lifting maximum weight. Fitness competitors just want to look athletic, do some pushups, but not get to big as to not look like a fitness competitor anymore. Most do not do cardio, just have restrictive diets. I know many competitive girls who do this and they absolutely do not run haha

She is going to blow up.

While I have absolutely no authority to do this, I set the official ST over/under at 3.5 consecutive IMs (for entertainment purposes only, of course).

I've got the under.

If anyone wants to take some bets - I'll go 3 and done here.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment

This challenge is stupid, how about she does 1 ironman a year and show the world that consistency trumps a fitness cram fest. She's never going to do a triathlon after she completes this challenge, which is more similar to people going ham in January and never going back to the gym again.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [DJRed] [ In reply to ]

DJRed wrote:

While I have absolutely no authority to do this, I set the official ST over/under at 3.5 consecutive IMs (for entertainment purposes only, of course).

I've got the under.

Assuming she completes one (and therefore proves she can handle the distances at all,) I'll take over. I'm thinking 5-10 closer to the 18hr side of things.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Rest] [ In reply to ]

Rest wrote:
This challenge is stupid, how about she does 1 ironman a year and show the world that consistency trumps a fitness cram fest. She's never going to do a triathlon after she completes this challenge, which is more similar to people going ham in January and never going back to the gym again.

Bit of an aside, but it's the same reason that 'beauty' instagrams are all full of insaaaaane looking crazy eyebrows. No one's interested in the banal and typical; only the extreme and wild is interesting anymore, regardless of whether it's actually good.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]

I am going 5 before it becomes some cop out excuse...like "lady issues" or some form of underlying injury that makes it seem like she went so hard and some crazy thing happened that she risked dying but simply could not go out.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]

I’m curious what she will look like if she does more than 5. The IC started to look like shit and grew a massive beard. Since she is in an appearance based sport, I wonder how much she will deteriorate. Could end up like the TV show Naked and Afraid, being totally immaciated.

On another note, the swimming isn’t a given. IC blew up his shoulder early in his attempt. Somehow he pulled through, but may have suffered long term effects. The swim is certainly not a given for those IM newbies. It could be a bigger deal than anticipated.

Twinkie wrote:
haha this is laughable

She is going to blow up.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RBR] [ In reply to ]

RBR wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
She will complete it. No doubt.

Care to wager. Lol

Loser swims a 10k?

She is just a publicity hound. No way in hell she can do 50 legitimate ironman distance courses in 50 consecutive days.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]

LifeTri wrote:
RBR wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
She will complete it. No doubt.

Care to wager. Lol

Loser swims a 10k?

I like to swim how about 10k 3x a day for 10 years ;)

Just kidding.

Prev Next