Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl can i pick your noodle for a moment please.

To adjust the tilt of the bars, i assume you undo the tiny set screw then the two bolts above that (after taking the pad wings of ofcourse) and adjust the tilt then redo bolts then set screw? is this correct? I hear angling up can be a bit more aero....wich leads me to another question- for a smallish tilt up, in regards to fit, i believe the pads should move forward a tad (am i missing anything else? dont really want to mess with seat height etc, im on adamo). To do so i have the option to move the pad cradles another hole, or i could move the whole bar when adjusting the tilt? do you have any recommendations? Thanks for your help! PS- tell the project one boys and girls to bring back that spartacus frame!

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a smallish tilt up, the rear of the pad will get slightly lower and the front slightly higher...you might want to so simply make the angle adjustment and try riding it that way first before tweaking further. Otherwise, you could move the mono forward slightly when those boIts are loose (assuming you didn't have it all the way forward on the slider to begin with) and that way the pads and shifters move together to preserve that relationship. My only tip on that is to make sure the two tilt bolts are only loosened just enough to make the change(s)...backing them out too far risks rotating the T-nuts inside the monospacer and then they probably won't tighten back up into the right places.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for that! i have heard that re-tightening is a pain and may need a 2nd pair of hands lol. Well it sounds like it could be a pain in the ass, i havent been able to test this in the tunnel- just assuming that the changes are often proven to save some watts with most people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl...

whats the part number for the plug in mono extension? Are you able to see if it's currently in stock or what the lead time is?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
thanks for that! i have heard that re-tightening is a pain and may need a 2nd pair of hands lol. Well it sounds like it could be a pain in the ass, i havent been able to test this in the tunnel- just assuming that the changes are often proven to save some watts with most people.

It is actually incredibly easy. No need for two sets of hands at all. Very simple to adjust. You can make an angle adjustment in less than a minute or so.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the problem I ended up having is that it doesn't slide forward and back very well. In fact it will come closer a touch but wont slide forward, im not sure how its being blocked.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Very limited stock in US...if those sell out its looking like May or June.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
all of those are included in cockpit bolt kit 437027 from your Trek dealer, which would preserve your warranty status.

if you still want to source separately, they are (in same order you listed):

M4x10mm button head (4)
M5x21mm flat head (2)
M6x20mm flat head (2)
M6x30mm flat head (1)

couple of thoughts on stripping bolt heads...torque wrench & don't exceed listed maximums, of course...but also, have you checked your hex wrenches for wear? they don't even need to look this bad to be undersized from normal use over time (as Greg mentions about halfway through this article).

Carl can I just double check with you- the two crossbar bolts for the arm pads that go through the pad wing spacer and onto the monobar are m5x21mm? I can source 20mm quite easily, but 21mm is rare than rocking horse shit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those specs are correct. the length is driven by the need for adequate thread engagement when the 5mm pad wing spacer is installed. if you don't use that spacer, you don't need that length. seems like an easy trade, but if you don't normally use the spacer and someday you decide you need it (or the person you sell the bike to wants to use it) and you don't have the right length bolt that's a problem.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate unfortunately I use the spacer- going to have to get my googlefu on for that bolt as no trek dealers in Aus have the kit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:

Thanks Carl. Stopped by my lbs and looks like I got the last one available.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully an easy one:

I'm looking to replace my wheels (I have the 2014 Speed Concept - obviously). Are there any wheels/tires that won't fit? Sizes I can feed to a bike shop if people don't want to just give me a list, is more than alright.

I am thinking (but not limiting myself to):

Hed Stinger/H3 GT3
Blade Disc/5 spoke
Energy Lab VC 90
Zipp Super 9/808 - less likely
Enve - SES 7.8 (I like them but they might be a little out of my budget, nevertheless, maybe)
I like the Aeolus a lot but they have a similar problem as the enve
Anything else my LBS might come up with.

Anyhow, not that I expect anyone to know the rim width of all of these off the top of their head, but if anyone can rule out any of those, it would be helpful. (Obviously the Aeolus would be fine). Thanks muchly.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use flo 60, 90 anda zipp super 9 all without dramas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

What size tire do you use with the super 9?

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ran as wide as a 26mm specialized turbo cotton on a super 9 without any issues.

Just remember that posted widths really don't mean anything anymore. It's the measured width once's its on the wheel that really matters. A 23 mm can really measure like a 24 or 25 mm tire depending on the tire and wheel.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gp4000s 23mm but they come up wider I swear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I've ran as wide as a 26mm specialized turbo cotton on a super 9 without any issues.

Just remember that posted widths really don't mean anything anymore. It's the measured width once's its on the wheel that really matters. A 23 mm can really measure like a 24 or 25 mm tire depending on the tire and wheel.

Thanks all, it's a big help.

I was pretty sure I'd seen a Super 9 on a Trek before, but it looked like the wheel would support a pretty big tire and was a little concerned about that.

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Can you tell me the part number and what kind of screw are the 3 screws to attach the aerobar to stem?
2 are the same size and front 1 is longer

I have two that are stripped badly from previous owner and I want to replace them

thank u

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
437027 is the handlebar fastener kit, which includes those three bolts.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you

the LBS doesn't have the kit instock, do you think a local hardware stock would stock them and if so can you tell me what M number they are and size?

chris

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of those kits in stock in our warehouses, only days away from your dealer.

Don't know what your local hardware store is likely to have. In the past I've occasionally given out more information (here, for example), but there's more to a bolt spec than just a size...and the safety & compliance testing we've done on the system is only valid when our spec parts are used. Same for warranty.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries I will have the LBS order it up for me

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
Hopefully an easy one:

I'm looking to replace my wheels (I have the 2014 Speed Concept - obviously). Are there any wheels/tires that won't fit? Sizes I can feed to a bike shop if people don't want to just give me a list, is more than alright.

I am thinking (but not limiting myself to):

Hed Stinger/H3 GT3
Blade Disc/5 spoke
Energy Lab VC 90
Zipp Super 9/808 - less likely
Enve - SES 7.8 (I like them but they might be a little out of my budget, nevertheless, maybe)
I like the Aeolus a lot but they have a similar problem as the enve
Anything else my LBS might come up with.

Anyhow, not that I expect anyone to know the rim width of all of these off the top of their head, but if anyone can rule out any of those, it would be helpful. (Obviously the Aeolus would be fine). Thanks muchly.

In regards to disc wheels just be careful as some of those that stay wide up until the brake track will foul on the Duotrap sensor. I had a Pro Textreme disc which certainly didn't fit, ditto for the other Pro discs. I believe the Mavic disc will suffer from the same problem.

I've run Hed C2, Plus and both gens of Flo discs with no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [TheFisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super 9 and 808 with 25 gp4000s on my sc, no issues what so ever .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What extensions are you planning on using with this? I just back ordered the plug-in to replace my ski bend mono. The mono is too short and it's limiting my reach.

stevej wrote:
Carl wrote:

Thanks Carl. Stopped by my lbs and looks like I got the last one available.
Quote Reply

Prev Next