Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [BrandonS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's a Bontrager Ion (pretty much any model...all have the same mount):

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice, i will install it, i also have the Bontrager Flare R in my Trek SC 2014 seatpost
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [khouryd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too :-) ETA: yes, I know this isn't a Flare R...but the mount is the same, and I do run the FlareR most of the time...

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Oct 16, 15 8:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. That looks like a lot better fit. The mount that came with the NR Lumina is just so clunky it doesn't really work in that area.

For the rear I went with a Cateye Rapid X2. Placement behind the seat bottles isn't the most optimal, but it's still mostly visible.

Last edited by: BrandonS: Oct 16, 15 16:52
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you on that purple and pink combo. It's a color combo I won't ride either. You mentioned custom. Do you know if just the frame set can be had in the XS?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Oct 25, 15 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you thoughts about mounting on the seatstays? It seems like your light is probably mostly blocked by your rear bottle mount.
Last edited by: kyle h: Oct 25, 15 9:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea. How about using velcro on the unit and the underside of the mono extensions. I am sure that would add a lot more bite.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, I'm still working on it. I don't have a local dealer, so I'm trying to figure it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, thinking of upgrading the bottom bracket in my gen 2 series 7 SC. I understand the factory fitted one is SRAM BB86 GXP? What upgrade options would I have? Somewhat confused because of the proprietary nature of the SC standard...I'm assuming I can't just replace the BB with a higher quality one and my upgrade options are limited to say ceramic bearings within the existing BB?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, the gen2 SCs are all BB90.

and the "proprietary" tag is a little misleading, unfortunately. BB90 (and BB86 for that matter) uses exactly the same bearing size that standard Shimano and GXP BBs do...they simply are incorporated into the frame in a different manner. Dan does a great job of explaining the differences in this article.

so, if you're running GXP cranks right now, you could try sourcing ceramic GXP bearings yourself or you could get one of three ceramic GXP bearing kits from your Trek dealer:

411814 GXP ceramic
518151 CeramicSpeed GXP standard
518153 CeramicSpeed GXP coated

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one other thing (new post since I don't know if you'd notice an edit on the other one)...

as best I can tell, 7-series gen2 SCs were all equipped with Shimano cranks & BBs...are you sure you're running GXP? what crank do you have on there? if it's a Shimano crank or a Shimano-compatible crank then the ceramic BB part#s at your Trek dealer would be:

411813 Shimano ceramic
518150 CeramicSpeed Shimano standard
518152 CeramicSpeed Shimano coated

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I had to buy a Trek SRAM BB90 kit so I could run a pre-Exogram SRAM Red crank...which is GXP so you're first list is fine thanks. So finally, what generic kind of BB am I now running - Standard Threaded, PF30, BB30 or proprietary? I'm assuming PF30 or proprietary because I'm using a GXP crank therefore not BB30, and there are no external cups so not Standard Threaded?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have generic GXP bearings in a proprietary BB design. It is not threaded, and it is not compatible with any BB30-related design like PF30. You can upgrade by getting any of the ceramic GXP BB90 kits I listed, or you could try sourcing GXP bearings (just the bearings, not GXP BBs) on your own and having those installed.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brilliant info as always, and quick. much appreciated....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Have you seen any problems with the saddle clamp bolts snapping? My wife and I both got P1 9 series in April and her saddle clamp bolt snapped about a month later. Two nights ago she heard a loud noise from our bike room in the middle of the night and the bolt that connects to the tilt wheel snapped. All of the bolts were torqued to the proper spec (5-7nm I believe, but I would have to look). Either of these would have been catastrophic if we were on the bike when it happened. Is it possible there is a minor defect in the seat post that is causing this?

We live on Oahu and the only Trek dealer on the island is flat out awful. When I needed a warranty claim on a pair of Bontrager shoes it took two months (literally) to get them. These guys wouldn't know how to put together an integrated frame if their life depended on it. The same two SCs have been on their shelves for the past two years. When we purchased the bikes, we bought them in Virginia and paid to have them shipped to Oahu so that we did not have to deal with Bike Factory. I emailed trek customer service last night, but did not hear anything back. Are there any other steps we can take to get the bike back up and running safely.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [adc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea what's going on with your seatposts. Contacting customer service is a good second step, but most of the things we find out about come via warranty claims filed by Trek dealers...so if you haven't brought it to their attention yet please do so. For my part I'll shoot a note to the customer service guys to make sure they got your note but that's about the extent of what I can do.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, I've been following this thread closely because I've been considering getting a SC for next year. Just wanted to thank you for getting out of your way to answer a bunch of randos questions about their bikes even though you're not obligated to. Your passion for building fast bikes as well as providing excellent customer service is admirable.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Rest. I do what I can. ST is a great sounding board for what works and what doesn't.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl.... I just received my 2016 frameset and am in the process of building it up, this is my 6th Speed Concept since it was released and am happy to be back on one after a short hiatus on another bike. One question... if running Di2 is there a rubber plug or anything that inserts in the frame where the cable exits the frame and goes into the rear derailleur? Mine came with a plug for mechanical only but nothing for Di2. I've searched high and low in my parts bin for something to use but can't find anything suitable. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [adc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adc13 wrote:
Carl,

Have you seen any problems with the saddle clamp bolts snapping? My wife and I both got P1 9 series in April and her saddle clamp bolt snapped about a month later. Two nights ago she heard a loud noise from our bike room in the middle of the night and the bolt that connects to the tilt wheel snapped. All of the bolts were torqued to the proper spec (5-7nm I believe, but I would have to look). Either of these would have been catastrophic if we were on the bike when it happened. Is it possible there is a minor defect in the seat post that is causing this?

We live on Oahu and the only Trek dealer on the island is flat out awful. When I needed a warranty claim on a pair of Bontrager shoes it took two months (literally) to get them. These guys wouldn't know how to put together an integrated frame if their life depended on it. The same two SCs have been on their shelves for the past two years. When we purchased the bikes, we bought them in Virginia and paid to have them shipped to Oahu so that we did not have to deal with Bike Factory. I emailed trek customer service last night, but did not hear anything back. Are there any other steps we can take to get the bike back up and running safely.

Thanks.

interesting. I have the same problem with the only trek dealer within 80 miles of where I live. Couldnt ride my 9 series for three months because the trek dealer repeatedly ordered the wrong part. Talked to the trek reps at IMWI and was told same thing - nothing we can do to help you out, you need to go back to your trek dealer. love, love, love my bike but when you have a problem, you are at the mercy of the local dealer who may or may not be inept and you cannot get the part any other way. trek really needs to rethink this. as i said, I love my bike so being without for three months when I could have put the part on in 10 minutes if only I were allowed to order it direct from trek is a serious problem.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LzBones wrote:
Yes, whn I first got mine the handle bars started rocking around something chronic. I took it back to the shop which found that one bolt had snapped - they then blamed me for it. I contacted trek Australia durectky to complain - they engaged me for a few emails regarding the issue and my bike then just stopped responding. While Carl in here is brilliant, sadly that level of service was not reflected by the people I delt with.

I had the same thing happen to one of the athletes I work with. He was complaining of the front end being very loose and wobbly. We opened up the front end and found one of the bolts cleanly sheared. I wish I would have taken picture to substantiate this. It seems like this isn't a one off occurrence now.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ironmanjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally any Di2-specific parts come with Di2 kits. This grommet is one of the few items available separately. PN W317292 for the 2014-2016 SC.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, aside from the battery mount, what else is Di2 specific that we would need when going from a mech to Di2 groupset on the new SC? This rear grommet and...?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
assuming you have a 2014-onwards SC and you're running the 9-series (carbon) seatpost, the only thing other thing you need is the battery mount.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been looking like crazy online and cant find anything......I want to swap the riser block between the base bars and aero bar....currently have the tallest....want to shortest....whats that called and what the part number?

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next