Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi stevej

Not entirely clear to me which insert(s) are in play here, sorry...

The speed fin attaches to the bike via three M4 bolts: the forward bolt goes into the frame directly via an M4 riv-nut (aka nut-sert)...the rear bolts are threaded into the brake arm posts, also M4 threads. See page 31 in the service manual, figures 11.10-11.11. Neither the nut-sert nor the brake posts are available as service parts. The nut-sert could be replaced, but it's not something I'd recommend for most DIYers...better to find a shop which has experience with that repair (it's the same basic thing as a water bottle bolt insert in your frame...just one size smaller).

The rear brake as a unit is attached to the frame via a pair of M6 bolts (page 29, figure 11.3), and the M6 inserts in the frame are co-molded items...not replaceable.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See attached photo. These are what I'm talking about.

I've had a hard time getting the two rearward speed fin bolts in a times. I don't think they went in straight recently and it ended up bending the two screws. I have replacement screws but even with the new ones it seems hard to get them threaded correctly into the inserts in the photo.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 6, 16 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pic not attached yet :-)

ETA: from your description the pic probably isn't necessary...sounds like you're talking about the brake arm pivots. They're not service parts. The brake is available as a complete unit (which is how it comes to us BTW), PN W325747

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Jun 6, 16 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why the pic isn't attaching.

Yes it's the brake arm pivots. I figured it was apart of the brake but wasn't 100%. I don't think they are completely boogered up. Just have to wiggle the screw around a bit until it threads correctly. Must have patience.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After seeing recommendations on another thread about bike repair stands it got me thinking that I'd like to get one. Which stand do you use/recommend for use with the 2014 Speed Concept?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI dbikelink

I recommend any clamp that opens wide enough to grab the seatpost securely (so, more than 60mm). BB-fork mount models not as versatile due to the rear brake location and speedfin.

Park doesn't seem to offer my favorite "extreme range" clamp anymore, but this one (which I've also used) works quite well: http://www.parktool.com/...0-3d?category=Clamps (pro micro adjust...there are actually three, depending on which of their various stands it is compatible with)

If you're really into having cool (and spendy) stuff, we've got these in our Trek Certified Service training center: http://www.efficientvelo.com/...height-repair-stand/

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. I had one other question. Is there something that is supposed to be applied in between carbon components before torquing?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any of the various carbon assembly paste products out there would be OK.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Gentlemen,
Is there anyone knowing if Bontrager SC WB cage on the aero bar is compatible with a torpedo type of bottle with a drinking straw ? Which supplier's does it go with ?
Last edited by: hirochan: Jun 16, 16 4:48
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [hirochan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should work fine with any torpedo&straw system that is based on a standard water bottle. Example: the Speedfil A2

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Gentlemen,
Bontrager ION (white light) is very amazing that I've been waiting for years. Let me congirm if all the white light of ION 700, 125, and 30 can be imstalled along with the beard / DH bar, like the picture posted by you, w/o rattle noise on the ride.
Last edited by: hirochan: Jun 30, 16 4:19
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [hirochan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They all have the same mount, so they will all work the same way as far as mounting on the aero extensions or any other bar. I've never noticed a rattle and I spot-checked a few around the office...they felt very secure.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a million.
I have purchased the speedfill A2 , which is very satisied. Also, I will buy the ION light tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
I have purchased a caliper cover at the rear side with W327327, as shown in Page 30/57 of 2014 SC Service Information Manual, but it has an apparently different shape that is originally attached, as there is no symbolic projection of the parts to cover the tire. Did Trek change the shape ? Or did I make a mistake of the part number ? Finally, which one is the better aero to go with my Gen2 SC9 ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
W327327 is listed in the table as the UCI-legal cover with threaded inserts for the Di2 battery rail.

W326750 is pictured, and is listed in the table as the Speed Fin...which is not UCI-legal.

I agree it would be nice in the future to have pictures of both.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I should have purchased the speed fin that is the replacement of the caliper cover. Does the UCI legal cover play an role of the caliper cover w/o the fin ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, which one is more aero advantage ?
If no big change, the UCI legal type can be placed on the workstand that has a long bar to put under the bottom of SC9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've attached the relevant page from the 2014 Speed Concept white paper.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
I've attached the relevant page from the 2014 Speed Concept white paper.

Carl, is there any data for an aero bottle on the new SC frame? I'm using the old Bontrager Aero bottle placed on the seat tube of a size M frame. I was wondering if it's actually more aero with it, or just neutral.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the least impact is on the seattube...just like on the 1st gen SC. wouldn't go so far as to say it's neutral (mainly because I don't think we've tested that particular bottle on the new bike with the mannequin), just that the ST location has the least impact.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

One of my rear brake pad spacers snapped. It's the black one that always sits flush to the pad holder. How can I source one without having to buy the whole brake assembly?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might find a dealer who has one rattling around in a small parts box. That or the ST classifieds. Otherwise, either PN 433749 or 422482 would get you a pair of brake pad carriers...with several spare parts, if you think of it that way.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Didn't know the spacers came with the pad holders. Looks like 433749 is the pad holder part for the new bike. What is 422482 though? The old bike?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's one of the rare cases where they're interchangeable across the two generations of the bike.

Eta stupid autocorrect

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Aug 28, 16 7:19
Quote Reply

Prev Next