Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry that wasn't clear...the medium and XS share the same size front brake cover...on both generations of SC...they're just not cross-compatible across generations.

and thanks for the heads-up on the PN error.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a few questions...

First, what's the maximum angle of upwards tilt for the SC 9 series extensions?

Can the ends of the base bar extensions be cut down 10-20 mm without problem? (Or maybe in the realm of technically I can't say yes, but realistically no problem..)

And finally, a very obscure question that I'm not sure you can answer, do you know what the reach from BB is to the pivot point in the mono spacer of a low-far stem on a medium? My reason for asking is I like an upward tilt and if my pads are far forward of the pivot I'm going to end up with some added stack, and my current stack on a medium/low-far is almost at the minimum. Could go to a small but since I ride forward & long think the handling might be better on a medium, also can't see myself ever going lower than I am now.

Thanks for your always great help!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no prob. in order:

• about 15deg

• not designed to be cut...can't vouch for safety if you do, and of course it'd void your warranty coverage. they're only counterbored deep enough to cover the longest common brake lever expander wedge clearance.

• reach is ~470mm to that feature on a medium frame with any of the far stems

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

This is a two part post. First, I just want to say THANK YOU to Trek. The seat post binder on my frame failed and my LBS took care of the warranty process. I'm very grateful for their service and I shudder to think how this might have progressed if it had been a mail order bike.

Second... and I just picked the bike up yesterday... are these divots supposed to be in the fork? I just noticed them when loading my car up. The paint seems to conform to them and they're both in the exact same spot on both fork blades.

Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh thank goodness *wipes brow* thanks for the quick reply :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, one more question. Rechecking my existing pad stack and doing the math for my expected extension tilt and final pad height, I come up with an effective minimum stack height on a medium w/ low/far stem that's 1 cm higher than I currently have, rather than right at it as I previously thought. So that's making me consider a small instead. I'm pretty stretched out but my pads will still be about 25mm under the max pad reach.

Are you able to make any reasonable estimation as to which would be more aero, the medium w/ low far fully slammed, or a small w/ low/far stem with a 25mm mono spacer + 5mm spacer? From my field testing I gain about 4-5 watts with the lower position, on the other hand the higher position is easier on my neck. So I'd still be inclined to go with the small unless there's a significant aero advantage to the medium setup, in which case I'd opt for the aero wash and more comfort.

You're an awesome resource (are you listening, Trek)!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im afraid there's way too much going on there for me to hazard a guess on aero. I would be a little concerned about handling qualities if you're that far out front on a small...and that in itself could cause comfort issues if you're all tensed up to keep the bike in line.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, good reality check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asking for a friend... does the xs come with 650 or 700 wheels? Can't seem to find it online.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone run 26mm turbo cotton tires on a super 9 disc? Just curious if there are any clearance issues.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every tire has a little different profile, and can vary from the stated width. I'm not familiar with that tire at all, so can't say for sure. I once ran some FMB Paris-Roubaix 27c tires on an sc and it was an extremely close fit to the seattube cutout...no way I could've run those in the rain for example because the road grit they'd have picked up would've filled that gap.

At 26c I'd expect you should be better off than that, but there's no way to tell without putting them in there. At 25c (or a 26c that actually measures closer to 25) I'd say you shouldn't have a problem.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about ordering a Speed Concept 7.5 frameset and I have a few questions:

I'm ordering from Trek University and there's no customization options when ordering. Based on the picture, it looks like it comes with the non-UCI / triathlon fork, brake cover, bars, etc. Correct?

I will be installing an Ultegra Di2 system on it (which I already own). I currently use the external battery. Is there a good spot to put it other than the UCI legal brake cover?

If not, and I want to switch to the internal battery, do I need to order a carbon seatpost? Is there room in the alloy seatpost to stuff the battery in with packing foam and avoid ordering the carbon seatpost?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PMo wrote:
I'm thinking about ordering a Speed Concept 7.5 frameset and I have a few questions:

I'm ordering from Trek University and there's no customization options when ordering. Based on the picture, it looks like it comes with the non-UCI / triathlon fork, brake cover, bars, etc. Correct?

correct

PMo wrote:
I will be installing an Ultegra Di2 system on it (which I already own). I currently use the external battery. Is there a good spot to put it other than the UCI legal brake cover?

not really. at least, nowhere else that there's a dedicated mount kit and internal routing access for it.

PMo wrote:
If not, and I want to switch to the internal battery, do I need to order a carbon seatpost? Is there room in the alloy seatpost to stuff the battery in with packing foam and avoid ordering the carbon seatpost?

if you want to use our battery bracket W332400 you need the carbon post. it may be possible to fit the internal battery in the aluminum post but we can't guarantee that it will fit or that it will stay there.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm thinking I'll get an internal battery and do a fit check with the alloy seatpost. If I can't make it feel secure enough, I'll bite the bullet and go with the carbon seatpost.

Probably going to put in the order tonight! I'm pumped for the new ride!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear Carl,

I have now a new and very nice nos 2014 Trek SC 9 frame, but I'm about to order a new fork. Now is a bit of confusion, because it seems that the kit 437027 is sold out and not available from Trek Germany. It includes the stem attachment bolts and the steering axle pinch bolts and nut and some other screws.

Neither my Trek dealer nor Trek Germany know for sure, whether this kit is necessary and if there is another solution for assembling my frame kit with the original bolts or whether this kit is again available later this year.

Thanks for your help

Stefan
Last edited by: Steve560: Apr 8, 16 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Steve560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
437027 is almost completely sold out in the US as well. For smaller orders (10 or less kits) I'm seeing domestic availability early next week...but that could change and I don't know what that means for Trek Germany. My advice would be to get a kit backordered now so you're one of the first to get it when it is available again.

UNLESS, you already have this bolt kit. If you already have a 2014 or later 7.5 or 9-series SC then you already have those bolts. If you're upgrading from a 2011-2013 to the 2014 then you don't...it's a different set of bolts, and there are a few which are custom so you can't just go to the hardware store with the specs and source them yourself.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

thanks again for the quick response! It seems, that I can get the bolt kit from a UK Trek/Bontrager dealer!;-)

Thank you for your amazing service!

Stefan
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just purchased a speed (bento) box to mount on the top tube, using the two provided screw holes. The front of the bento box will obstruct the wires at the base of the stem-mounted Di2 junction box to a pretty significant degree with any turn of the front end. If I could mount the junction box just a little higher that would likely eliminate the problem, but that doesn't seem to be an option with the way it's attached. Am I just out of luck?

Thanks,

John

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi John

It doesn't sounds like your Di2 wires are routed correctly. They should exit the junction box heading toward the front of the bike and then dive down underneath the stem cover through a cut out in that same cover.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Apr 10, 16 13:33
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My setup is very different than the one you pictured. Here's mine:

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Last edited by: Hed Case: Apr 10, 16 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A different stem, yes, but the principle is the same...that's not how it should be routed. The junction box should be oriented the way it is pictured in my previous post...with wires pointing forward towards the front of the stem cover. There the wires go back down under the cover through a notch like the one pictured below. There's a thin spot on the cover which you cut to make that notch.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much Carl! I thought this setup seemed sort of cobbled together, considering how well everything else is integrated on the bike. I will return to the shop and ask them to reorient correctly.

John
Middleton, WI

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply

Prev Next