Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl: The shop was able to turn the junction box around while I waited, so that was great. They said they had purposely installed with the wires down to ensure sweat wouldn't enter, which they said has been an issue. Will keep that in mind. Thanks again.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, just picked up my rocket ship....i mean SC 7.5 today. Going to add di2, can i buy this piece or can i just drill some holes in mine. Also i need a short mono extention. Any idea when they will be back in stock?

Thanks for the help

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome aboard!

The thin spots for making a Di2 mod should be fairly easy to see on the inside of the stem cover.

Right now the short ergo mono availability looking like about 1mo out.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Also i need a short mono extention.
Thanks for the help

I've got one I'm not using if that's of any help. Shoot me a PM if you want it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [TheFisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl. Do you know where I can find a copy of the 2014+ SC service manual that used to be on the trek website? It was a great guide to everything mechanical on the bike.

Thanks much!!

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Temporarily MIA after the website renovation. ..now available again along with many others at http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/manuals

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Every tire has a little different profile, and can vary from the stated width. I'm not familiar with that tire at all, so can't say for sure. I once ran some FMB Paris-Roubaix 27c tires on an sc and it was an extremely close fit to the seattube cutout...no way I could've run those in the rain for example because the road grit they'd have picked up would've filled that gap.

At 26c I'd expect you should be better off than that, but there's no way to tell without putting them in there. At 25c (or a 26c that actually measures closer to 25) I'd say you shouldn't have a problem.

Got the 26mm turbo cotton mounted on my super 9 last night. No fitment issues on the SC.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear! Thanks for checking back in.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks carl

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any luck running an 11-30 or 11-32 cassette with 9070 Di2?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting thread on that topic here

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. I actually had read that. It seemed like the take home from that thread was that it depended on your frame and the length of the derailleur hanger.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-)

in that case, I'll note that the 2014 SC has the same hanger as the Madone and Domane mentioned by user robbyville

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the recommended procedure for packing the Speed Concept for travel? I have a SciCon Aerotech Evolution TSA bike case, and I have Di2 shifting on the bike.
Obviously, I can't just loosen the stem screws and rotate the bars down, the way I have with my previous bikes. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This can help you

https://www.dropbox.com/...20dissamble.pdf?dl=0
Last edited by: khouryd: May 9, 16 20:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't open what khouryd posted, but I'll bet it's not too far off from what I PM'd to someone just a few days ago:

shouldn't be a huge amount of disassembly...these are the basics:

• once you've released the front brake wedge from between the arms and unbolt the upper cockpit from the stem the basebar and mono can go different places...I strap/ziptie them to the frame/fork wherever is most convenient with some bubble wrap or foam in between
  • remove seatpost
  • remove rear derailleur and derailleur hanger as a unit by unbolting the hanger from the frame. single biggest tip I have for preventing damage back there

the next level, if you're so inclined and/or need the extra space:

• remove cranks & rear brake cover
  • remove fork... it's easier than most people think

• remove locking bolt from under the fork crown
    • loosen stem pinch bolt
    • remove internal steerer (8mm hex)
    • loosen stem-to-fork bolts just enough so that the fork slides off the front of the frame

here's a video on the front end procedure...and he makes a good point about Di2 giving you even more options. the mono can be completely disconnected and stashed wherever.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: May 10, 16 4:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you remove the RD hanger in addition to the RD? I'm all for removing the RD but I get fearful removing the hanger (more things to screw up when putting it back on.... Cross threading).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually just travelled with my SC for the first time, and following the very few steps laid out by Carl above (I just wathced the vid) made it surprisingly simple. Was positively surprised that only had to measure saddle height to redial position. Everything else was kept as is. Also removed the RD hanger with no issues. Very simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree...it's trading one risk for another. Rounding out the heads of those two little 2mm hex broaches or crossthreading could happen. After a couple decades of shlepping my own bikes around and packing bikes for windtunnels and ride tests for the last ten years or so I'm just a little more concerned about that hanger hanging out there. That risk is mitigated by proper use of dropout guards and spacers that come with or are incorporated into the design of most travel cases. I'm just stuck in my ways I guess.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you to everyone! It's a little daunting, my lbs really struggled with the brake hood and stem cover (they broke the stem cover getting it off, I had to replace it, and said to expect them to break the brake cover). I've also never disconnected my Di2 wires before, but leaving them attached is scary as well. For that matter, I haven't removed my der hanger or the fin before. But I've got a month to figure it out. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
Thank you to everyone! It's a little daunting, my lbs really struggled with the brake hood and stem cover (they broke the stem cover getting it off, I had to replace it, and said to expect them to break the brake cover). I've also never disconnected my Di2 wires before, but leaving them attached is scary as well. For that matter, I haven't removed my der hanger or the fin before. But I've got a month to figure it out. :-)

You might want to have a chat with your LBS about that - the stem cover and brake cover are not difficult to install/remove without destroying them,

For the Di2 wires, get a Shimano TL-EW02 tool (link) so that you don't tear the connectors off.

Good luck!

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brake hood shouldn't be a problem. Stem cover just seems fragile in general. Disconnect the Di2 wires. Color code them first (if that makes you feel better) and make sure you use the shimano di2 specific tool so you don't damage the cables.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl: I just had the unfortunate experience of having to order a new base bar after a fall. Ouch. That is not a cheap part.

Word to the wise: Don't crash.

jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a part number for the two threaded inserts that hold the rear bike to the frame (and where the speed fin is attached to on the aft side)? I may have boogered up the threads for the speed fin attachment. Couldn't find anything on the service manual for part numbers.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next