Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, how difficult is it to replace the rear derailleur cable?

I suspect that my rear derailleur cable is frayed because no matter what I do I can't get the rear to shift properly. The bike is new but due to a frame issue it was rebuilt with a new frame. The rear shifting is no longer working right since: once I set the low limit and tighten the cable I takes 3-4 clicks to get it to shift into the next cog higher. I tried to increase the cable tension but it will still skip 1 click and with too much tension it won't shift back down into the lowest gear (smallest cog).
I think when they rebuilt the frame they reused the old shifter cable and it's probably frayed or something.

Before I take it to the shop I wonder if I could fix this myself. I recabled my old Cervelo P2C many times. I see the Speed Concept has housing running internally so is this as easy as taking the old shift cable out and pushing the new one in or does it require brain surgery to get it to pop out the other end?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not brain surgery, but also not a no-brainer.

you'll need to remove the rear brake cover so you can get at the cable once it exits at the BB...and then redirect it into the chainstay. that's really about it.

if you pull the cable and find that it's not frayed or kinked, I'd start to wonder about whether or not the housing is seated properly in the BB cable guide. that's a more in-depth bit of service (rear brake would need to be removed from bike so you can pull the BB cable guide and verify that the housing is seated in it).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES! Well not that severe! One of my screws broke off, and I could hear the piece bouncing around. I was able to get it fixed before anything bad happened.. Scary though! It definitely gets corroded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My front Brake cover cracked. Is there a good technique to glue-ing the plastic pieces together. Super Glue, Gorilla Glue just don't work that well. When it's all screwed in, it stays in place for now but I'd like to get it replaced. I am not the original owner, but is this covered by warranty for a 2014 model?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had much luck trying to glue thin plastic pieces together...particularly when they have a lot of contour/shaping to them like brake covers.

not knowing the root cause of the cracking, I'd say replacement may be the best option. warranty coverage applies to the original owner.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not true. That was from a different poster, not based on this exact incident or set of pictures. You can clearly see arkie's snapped bolts in the pic.

carl...why no comment from you? Is this something trek knows about or is it just being overlooked?

zachboring wrote:
See post 1941. Bolts were missing altogether. Not a design issue.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, guess I got confused.

And I guarantee you that a forum post will from Carl will not be seen. Something like that (or any failure reported in this forum) is not going to be dealt with in a public forum. If there is an issue, a more formal communication will he passed along.

Until then, hope everyone stays safe and no serious injury comes of this.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed wholeheartedly with you. I own the same bike and want to know it is an isolated incident...

hope to hear soon.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because my speculating without all the details will accomplish nothing. The OP (and any others) appear to be following the correct process of working through their Trek dealers to report and make any necessary claims. That's how the information is gathered and acted upon. I appreciate that people bring things up here, because every bit of information is helpful when it comes to determining what may eventually become a "known issue" or may be a relatively isolated incident that has root cause(s) which lie somewhere else.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl. I just posted this in another thread and thought you and the others in this thread might find my mods interesting. Take care.
Quote:
So here's the front end of the Speed Concept. My mods are as follows:
-Zipp Vuka arm rests: no aero impact (I think) and they're super comfy
-Custom cut arm rest bar thingy: there's an aluminum piece on the '14+ Speed Concept that runs perpendicular to the stem that the arm rests mount to. This allows for adjustments laterally for your arm rests. I had about 1" sticking out on either side and even though it's an aerofoil shape I still figured I might as well cut it down. Eventually I'll throw a bit of black paint on there.
-Felt base bar grips: I put these on prior to doing Boulder Peak because there were some pretty good downhills there and I've been too lazy to take them off. Probably costing me a watt or two. I'll eventually go back to skateboard tape.
-Bontrager plug in extension: frankly, I think this should have been the stock extension
-Custom Di2 wiring: normally the shifter cables/wiring would go through the extension, down through the riser, through the base bar, under the stem cover, and into the frame. This makes disassembling and reassembling the front end a huge pain. My Di2 wiring exits the the extensions right by the rear of the riser and then goes back to my bento box where I have my battery and junction box 1. Two wires then go from there under the stem cover down to junction box 2. It's very clean and it makes disassembling/reassembling pretty quick and painless relative to the stock setup.

Just to add, I'm very happy with the bike in this state but if I have one critique it's this: The brakes are really annoying. I have hard time centering them and they tend not to stay centered. IMO, a "centering track" and a matching notch on the brake wedge would largely rectify this issue.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Oct 1, 15 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, should my Speed Concept 9 Series with Aeolus D3 9's handle a 25mm tire? I keep getting a rubbing every time I get out of the saddle. I am guessing the brakes just need to be adjusted to handle the tires?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool mods. thx for sharing!

Re: brake centering...

the brakes aren't centered via the wedge...they're centered via the 2mm setscrews on the upper arms of both brakes. I find it easiest to set the centering (and pad width) by backing both sides out all the way and then coming back in with equal turns from both sides, alternating as I go. this helps keep even tension on the brake spring.

rear wedge rides in a track with a locating feature on the back of the wedge.

as for notches, wedges do have a notch, or "home" position where they're meant to rest relative to the rollers. granted, it's subtle on the rear wedge, but on the front it's pretty pronounced:

one thing I've noticed is that if I'm not careful about wedge orientation when I clamp the brake cable, it'll tend to draw up to one side or another when you apply the brake or make centering a little more difficult. easy way to check: if you release the wedge from between the brakes and is twists to one side or the other then you should re-clamp it so the wedge faces forward when it's "free".

hope this helps!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, they should fit in there fine. what's rubbing, the tire on the frame or the brake pads on the rim? brake pad width is changed with the centering setscrews on the upper arms of both brakes. takes a 2mm hex wrench.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips, I'll check how the wedge is clamped on the front brake. I recall the wedge "twisting"every time I remove it for travel. As an aside, maybe a YouTube tutorial would help some of the others (and me :) with setting up the brakes. When traveling to a race, IMO, it's always wise to be able to wrench yourself.

Quote:
rear wedge rides in a track with a locating feature on the back of the wedge.

I like this feature! I should have actually clarified in my first post that (knock on wood) my rear brake has been solid since I replaced the original brake cable housing. It's the front brake that tends to give me a bit of trouble. Honestly, you guys really did a great job with the front end of the bike. With just a bit of evolution I think it could be perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx, and we'll keep trying for perfection!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I just purchased a used frame and the part number on the stem is 326647 which doesn't match those in the service manual. It looks like a low stem but that is only a guess. Anybody know for sure? And what the part number is different?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [aaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the stem-only part # for a low-far. 436146 would be stem and cover.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What year was your Speed Concept 9 or What Generation was it? (1 or 2)? Also, was your 404 a Firecrest?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the Speed Concept 9.5 (I need XS size, only available in the 9.5), with Di2. The lbs has none, so I'd have to buy sight unseen.

I love my Torhans AeroZ, but I'm not sure it will work with the forked aerobar extension. Has anyone tried it?
What is the difference between the 9.9 and 9.5?
What is the braking quality?
How challenging is it to pack for travel?
How difficult is it for mechanics to work on?
Any word of a new model coming out soon that I should wait for?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
I'm looking at the Speed Concept 9.5 (I need XS size, only available in the 9.5), with Di2. The lbs has none, so I'd have to buy sight unseen.

I love my Torhans AeroZ, but I'm not sure it will work with the forked aerobar extension. Has anyone tried it?
What is the difference between the 9.9 and 9.5?
What is the braking quality?
How challenging is it to pack for travel?
How difficult is it for mechanics to work on?
Any word of a new model coming out soon that I should wait for?

The difference between the two is the components and wheels. The frame is exactly the same.

Never tried the torhans but the BTA mount specific to the SC is an excellent alternative that is just as fast.

Braking quality is pretty good but that also depends on your pads and braking surface.

The new SC is easier to pack than the previous version. That said, it does require a little more work than a non super bike. I've never had a problem traveling with it but I also do all my work on my bike so I know it inside and out.

It depends if your mechanic has worked on one before. If he has never seen one before, he's going to struggle at first. If you are buying from the same place you plan to get your bike serviced I wouldn't worry about it but ask how many SC's (9 series) they have sold. If they have sold a lot, chances are they have worked on several sc's. I will say there is more knowledge on this thread about this bike and I often find solution to almost all of my issues on here. Mechanics don't really keep up to date with bike specific issues as they work on a vast majority of bikes. Carl is a great resource that no bike shop can really provide.

I wouldn't expect a new model until August/Sept of 2016. It may even be longer than that. We'll see.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I live in a small town, there is no bike shop in town that sells tri bikes of any kind. They've never seen a SC, but they've gotten used to working on my Kestrel 4000 with Di2 (2012 model). I'm hoping that my bike fitter in RI can build the bike and ship it to me, since I'll want a custom build. It depends on whether he can order from Trek. I will have to have custom paint bc I simply cannot ride a pink and purple bike, the only option in XS.

Is that the Bontrager BTA? It won't work with the AeroZ, but it is interesting.

I'll be using an aluminum braking surface. If I can get braking equal to that on my Kestrel, I'll be happy.

I'll have to pack the bike myself, and I wouldn't say I'm great at working on my bike. I use a SciCon Aerotech Evolution case.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the dark season coming, does anyone have any suggestions on mounting a or a light that works well with the mono extension? I feel it needs to be on the bottom where it isn't reflecting off my arms into my eyes. This is the best I could come up with for now. The rubber straps are hooked onto the garmin mount above so not the most solid setup; it's probably only a matter of time until it goes skating across the road.

Last edited by: BrandonS: Oct 16, 15 1:07
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aeroz works fine on my SC9 in large. The mono extension had plenty of room. I even mounted a second bottle behind it on the bosses.

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Zev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you happen to have a picture of it mounted? I really like this BTA and had written it off.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [BrandonS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoot me a pm with your email

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply

Prev Next