Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome, love it! I rekon you could lose the pin stripe. Im a big fan of the radioshak/trek/leopard scheme they have with that blue and red. You have the same size stem and spacer as me, im guessing medium far, with the 20cm spacer? I have s-bends though and no tilt. As for the FLO's keen to see how you co-ordinate it all with the colours
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
Thanks for your advise. You are right. I've kept in touch with LBS, but can't locate the root cause of click sound. It always occurs only when i'm dancing on the bike, swinging the steering handle a little, which doesn't matter at high or low torqued pedal. On the other hand, while I'm sitting on the saddle, no click sound can happen even at the high torqued pedal. So, I'm suspecting misalighnment of the headset, bearings, BB sleeve, or seatpost, for the remaining parts to review. This may be a clue that LBS once changed far-low stem to far-mid's after PJ-1 delivery, with intact on the steering axle and its bearing.
As for your reply,
b) Steering axle 1/4 turn to loose and back, Would you please explain how to do it more in detail ?
d) 2014 Installation Manual, P.7 says, this installation is completed with the steering pinch bolt, but not steering lock bolt as you mentioned. Which is correct ?
Last edited by: hirochan: Mar 9, 15 2:29
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [hirochan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1)put 8mm hex wrench in top of steerer
2)loosen by 1/4 turn
3)retighten to spec torque...should be about 1/4 turn back to where you started
4)remove wrench

I know what the assembly manual says. It is appropriate for initial assembly. My order of operations is appropriate for troubleshooting a noise in the front end. Both are correct, for different purposes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
Thanks a million. I agree new SC9 is a picture perfect bike. I could erase creaking noise by having changed cable work in the steering handle, in accordance with the assy manual. Hope that click noise residing in the headset or BB goes away, too.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Funny thing is that I love your trek bike too! I definitely felt like the stock 7.5 needed something to stand out. I might also get a set of red and of white silver stripes to add a row underneath on the downtube/seat tube area (like the 9.x series have).

I probably will take off the blue stripe at the bottle area. I also played around with making the TREK letters in blue too. What do you think about that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Great...now that we have pad #s it's easier to put your height and inseam in context.

I think you're right between sizes on a 7.5 or 9-series. For a 7.0 the large is probably most appropriate, especially for that slammed no-spacer look, but if you ever wanted to upgrade the cockpit to the integrated hardware of the 7.5 and 9-series bikes you wouldn't be able to get that low in front...the lowest the large can go with that system is 605 at the pads.

Hi Carl,

Finally i order an 7.0 M size because the posibility to upgrade the cockpit, i wish i could fit well!

I´ll post some photos when i have it.

Thnks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [evilactivities] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're welcome and welcome aboard! looking forward to the pix.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, I just received my Speed Concept 9.8 and cant wait to build it, however there were no ferrules with the kit (with the exception of the unique one in the stem), is that by design? I can order what I need but thought it was odd!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [noxious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too many variables unaccounted for to begin answering the question. I don't know how you ordered your SC or why you're building it vs a shop building it (are you a shop guy?) or what "kit" you're speaking of, or where you are. Not all of those may be important, but answering them at least lets me know what to ask next :-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was ordered through a shop I used to work for and I am building it because I trust me more than anyone else. It is the stock 9.8 with Force 22, a lot of the assembly was done at the factory, BB and crank installed, most of the cable run, fork and stem assembled, and brakes installed. Basically what I need are the remaining ferrules, some of which I have laying around but the joiner ferrules (or housing connectors) that connect the housings within the stem were not included, thought it was odd.

Maybe not included because they thought the "shop" would have those on hand??? Funny thing is they dont and they would have had to order as well.
Last edited by: noxious: Mar 10, 15 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Looking into it. While that's going on...have you turned the shipping box upside down and given it a good shake? I don't think those are typically loose and free to find the nooks and crannies, but on the off chance that that's what's happened...

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I looked everywhere in and around the box, extremely meticulous packaging by the way!!! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool, and thanks...but I had nothing to do with it :-)

so far it's looking like an inexplicable omission...which in a way is good news because it should be a straightforward exercise for the shop to make a claim to that effect. doesn't happen a lot, but it has happened, so I'm pretty sure there's a process for addressing it. I just don't know if it's via warranty, or via the inside or outside rep, or what it is...but I know the shop initiates it.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick turnaround Carl! I will have the shop contact the rep and they can go from there, thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
Is it no issue to remove spacer between pad wing and mono extension and keep using the same pad wing holder bolts ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean the spacer shown in figure 8.1 on pg 19 of the service manual, part# w327606? No issue.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
Thanks a lots. I will try it tomorrow.
Furthermore, when I become aware, rubber parts is about to peel off, behind the fork, to ease shock of the steering handle. Is there any problem without it ?
Also, it's observed that a part of the lower head bearing is exposed behind the fork. I wonder if some cover parts was dropped and lost. (all adjacent to Figure 6.5)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ride without that rubber bumper you increase the chance of the fork over-rotating and chipping the paint on your frame when you're not careful about handling the bike. The rubber bumper does not prevent this from happening, just reduces the risk. Here's what I told someone else as far as replacing or reattaching it.

If your bike looks like what's pictured in fig 6.5 it's normal.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lots. It's important parts more than it looks. I will try to adhere it by 3M strong double side tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

It took some time to work through all the fit decisions and ordering process but I finally picked up my P-1 SC a couple of weeks ago. What a great machine. Thanks for all the input you've given me and others here to inform my ordering decisions. I'll post a pic once I get the cockpit finalized, disc clearance set, and a few other details taken care of.

I have a couple of possibly awkward questions. First, if I wanted to void the warranty and drill a hole in 15 mm setback seatpost in order to place the Di2 Junction A box under the saddle, where would be the best place place in order to avoid causing a rift in the fabric of space-time? Possibly down through the saddle mount, aiming for the Bontrager logo and spring?

Second, at 17 lbs for a large (vapor coat platinum, UCI configuration, DA Di2, SRM, A5 tubies), it's a little heavier than I expected. Are their any lightweight parts in the Trek/Bontrager program that might be available to shave a few gram/ounces? As an example, I have the Emonda lightweight saddle clamp on my UCI-illegally light Madone (another great bike BTW).

Thanks,
Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Quattroporte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jeff-

Glad to hear you like the bike!

Even if liability concerns didn't prevent me from answering your seatpost hole question, I'm not familiar enough with the construction to hazard a guess. Sorry.

Our target for a UCI-configured medium with Di2 and those wheels was 7.5 kg (16.5lbs). I can see a large and adding the extra weight of an SRM making up the difference to where you are now. There are no superduper lightweight versions of any SC parts. The only options that come to mind (if you're not already taking advantage of them...depending on your measurements):

-if you use the ergo mono, and your pad to shifter distance is 370mm or less, you can use the short version of the mono...larges come stock with the long one...I think you get to specify in P1 and I don't know what you ordered
-similarly, stock larges come with the longer version of the seatpost...if you BB to saddle rail distance is 736mm or less you can run the shorter post as shave a few grams there...again, I think this was something you could spec in P1

I don't have copies of those four parts in hand so I can't say exactly how much you'd save...but those are your options of they meet your fit needs.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, I hope you can help. I have just taken delivery of my 9 series P1 speed concept in U5 scheme, glad to say it is my second 9 series speed concept, making the decision to replace the original after 4 years was pretty easy. Great to see some changes for the better on the original speed concept. However . . I have a couple of real annoying issues "going on" with my new ride.

1. creaking in the front end;
I went for the UCI legal set up, base bar and fork. I am very meticulous in assembly and torque settings (as you would have wrenching on Di2 speed concept for 4 years) but there is no way I can rid my bike of a front end creak, especially while out of the saddle climbing. Any suggestions here? I have removed, re torqued, greased and checked everything, once, twice, thrice or more. Have just seen comments above . . so will give that a go re the 1/4 turn off then on.

2. seat post slipping;
I have the carbon seat post, I have tried dry fitting, carbon grease fitting, more grease, less grease . .. I can just not stop the slip. The seat clamp number is PN/326485 D2, is there a recall or any issues on this particular seat clamp?

3. Cable rattle in the base bar.
Reading this thread, looks like there is a fix in place, will get some cable donuts and cable ties to sort it.

4. Di2 routing for Ew90 junction.
Looks like I can sort this now, missed the little check out on the stem back cover, so will re do this part.

5. Ill fitting front brake cover;
Seriously, this is a dog, should fit soo much better on a machine of this value.

6. Ill fitting stem rear cover
Seriously? this part should be easy to take on and off, not having to undo all the base bar bolts each time to remove / replace it. Looks nice but from a functionality side, barks like a dog.

7. Over spray;
My P1, U5 colour way had over spray of clear coat and or paint in many of the threaded parts of components. As a precaution, all were re tapped prior to assembly with the appropriate thread.

Any way, appreciate any comments you may have on the creaking and seat post.

Regards & thanks

Peter
Last edited by: kiwicyclo: Apr 7, 15 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [kiwicyclo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Peter-

Sounds like you're working all the angles on the front end noises. Can't tell from afar what's going on with your seatpost...but I haven't heard of any widespread slippage issues. Have you had the bike in to your Trek dealer so they can take a look? Hard to say if your front brake cover fit-up is normal without pictures. Stem cover doesn't require all basebar bolts to be undone...it may help to loosen the rear pair a couple turns, but that's all it should take...and once you're beyond these initial assembly stages how often do you expect to be removing just the stem cover (and why?) vs breaking down the entire front end for travel etc? Appreciate the heads-up on the clearcoat overspray...will let our paint team know to keep an eye on that.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Apr 7, 15 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Got a shifting problem with the front 9070 Di2 derailleur on my '14 speed concept. Started after a year where I can't seem to find a good adjustment that will result in reliable shifting from the small to the large ring.

I feel like the problem might be solved by adjusting the "toe angle" of the derailleur cage (problem seems worse when in smaller cogs in the back, when the chain is lower and further back in the front derailleur cage).

Shimano's 9070 manual on page 23 says there's an adjustment for what I call the "toe angle": a setscrew (they call it the "support bolt") that pushes on a backup plate that should be stuck on the bike frame.

My frame does not have that backup plate, and the support screw is not used. Brought the bike to the shop for adjustment, mentioned that support bolt, and my Trek dealer says that it should not be used, and that the "toe angle" is set only by how you clamp the derailleur using the main bolt. They worked on the bike and it seemed better for a while, but now it's back.

SC manual does not say anything about that backup plate (page 23 of SC service manual, about FD installation)

> Is it right that we do not use the backup plate & support bolt on the SC2?

Just seems like using hat "support bolt" would rigidify the assembly and allow for adjustment..

Thanks for letting me know!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Thierry

Shimano supplies a small adhesive-backed plate with their Di2 FDs for you to put on the frame for this purpose. I would not recommend running that setscrew directly into the carbon. Personally, I've never found the need to use the setscrew to clean up the shifting, but I get the principle they're driving at. Relying only on the FD clamp-up may be sufficient when we're talking about aluminum FD hangers, and in truth that's the only style I've ever had my Di2 mounted on, but for carbon it's possible you need that extra support. Suggest you locate that Shimano-supplied plate and install it and see what happens.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Apr 10, 15 11:02
Quote Reply

Prev Next