Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Rwlinda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both sizes would give you room to go up without changing stems...XL would have more room, but I agree the Large seems more appropriate based on your other numbers.

the 841 max saddle height figure (for a Large) applies to the old bike, not the new one. on the new bike max saddle heights are listed to the rails, not the top of the saddle (since every saddle is different). with a 3mm setback the most appropriate post is the 15mm offset, which will go to 796 at the rails...measure your saddle height from rails to top and add to that # to see if a Large will work for you. XL can hit 820 at the rails with the same post.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, that's awesome! Thanks for the info. I think the Large will work better for me then :).
Going to order the bike tomorrow ... very exciting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl do you or anyone else know how to get hold of the little plastic clip inserts that go into the frame in place of a bottle cage/speed box... Does that make sense? Instead of having a hole or bottle cage screw, the little plastic black lugs. Anyone know if they can be bought as a part? Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
w308963

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The seatpost of the L is only about 5mm short (there's no possibility for me to gain anything on my shoe/cleats stack either).
With the XL I'd have to put the pads almost as far back as possible to get the optimal reach.
No fun when you're in between sizes :(

If the seatpost was only a cm longer ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
high 5 for that, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: the XL pad position...

No, you'd only be near the back end of what's called the "pad range" on the fit chart. All that means is you've used up the effective range of the pad by itself without resorting to moving the pad wing fore/aft on the mono. Think of it this way: mid-pad range and pad range (on the fit chart) are both centered on the same point...let's call that the "optimal" position from a design standpoint...so being at the back of the pad range (which is 50mm wide) vs back of mid-pad range (30mm) means you've gone one notch further backwards on the pads. Not exactly the kind of thing the circus sideshow recruiters are looking for ;-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks for clearing that up. Really helpful as I want to make the right decision and not buy the wrong frame size. Guess I'm back to preferring the XL again then :).
I had the same issue with my 2013 Madone 5.2. Have the 62cm frame with a shorter stem and the 5mm setback to make it work. Can't really make the reach any shorter (luckily I don't need to), so that's where the concern comes from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up with the Large frame as my LBS trusts that the seat height can be matched.

How do I know which mono-extension I need tho? I can't find any guidance in any fit guides or manuals.
Currently ordered the bike to come with a Long Ergo, as I have "ape-arms", but as far as I've been able to find out adjustability is minor.

Arm Pad to Grip Reach: 366 mm (back of arm pad horiz to front end of grip)
BB to Grip Reach: 759 mm (BB to front end of grip)

I hope these measurements can be matched with the Long Ergo mono-extension.

Thanks again for any info you guys may have on this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ergo shape is the only one that comes in two lengths...short and long...everything else is basically the same (long) and it's just a matter of shape preference.

the short ergo can handle your pad to grip distance, but on a medium-near stem it won't reach out to where your grips are...you need the long.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, just wondering if you have seen any pictures of how people have mounted their Quarq magnet to their 2014 SC? I saw some had mentioned inside the rear brake cover but I was just curious how this was done and with what materials. Any ideas or suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [lestoad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember seeing any pics...try searching on "magnet SC" or "magnet Speed Concept"? At the very least I bet you'll come across some posters who did it and maybe they can send you pics and tips.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lestoad wrote:
Hey Carl, just wondering if you have seen any pictures of how people have mounted their Quarq magnet to their 2014 SC? I saw some had mentioned inside the rear brake cover but I was just curious how this was done and with what materials. Any ideas or suggestions?

Not Carl, but assuming you have a current generation Quarq (i.e. red/elsa/riken), just download firmware 23 and no magnet is necessary.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Still new to all of this but yes i bought a crank only version. I need to install the rings still, but my question is how do i go about downloading and updating the firmware to your suggestion below?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lestoad wrote:
Sorry Still new to all of this but yes i bought a crank only version. I need to install the rings still, but my question is how do i go about downloading and updating the firmware to your suggestion below?

Easiest thing to do is go to https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1711/ to download the appropriate Qalvin app. You'll use the Qalvin app to communicate with your Quarq.

Once you've downloaded the app, just go through the menu to the firmware upgrade.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or double sided 3m tape. If you really want to go bonkers, some have epoxied it-just behind the bb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a k-edge chain catcher with a magnet built in. It was in the pricey $ide but it works great.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [nole-limit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a plug and play internal battery setup for my dura-ace 7970 di2, I fitted the 7970 to my 2014 as I had all my bikes and wheels on 10speed, any help would be great, there was calfeedesign but they no longer do it, I ran out of time to do this before the season started last year but I'd like to get it done for this year,

Thanks in advance,
Zipp,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl-

Just about to do a spring tune-up. Would you recommend any sort of dry lube on the breaks to keep them running smoothly?

Jack
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no lube spec for the brakes. Covers or not, lubes will tend to accumulate crud which can compromise brake function. I'd suggest simply cleaning the brake pivots thoroughly.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes sense.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a SRM on my 9 series speed concept, I just grabbed a normal cateye wheel magnet, cut the threaded spike off the back, roughed up the back of the magnet and then superglued it to the inside of the brake cover. Using double sided tape first to find a location that worked for the SRM and so the brakes would not foul up on the magnet under use.

Very simple solution.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [kiwicyclo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the distance between bars on the 2014 SC mono extension in mm?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [chadheady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60mm inside-to-inside, 80mm center-center

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its super cool how quickly you respond! K Edge TT mount for Garmin minimum is 58mm
Quote Reply

Prev Next