Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [xthulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Harry. I'd probably get a disc for the back and also a 90 just in case.

Paul
Current Top 2:
7 Things Non-cyclists Should Know About Road Cycling
The GORUCK Challenge Ruined My Life
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I have a question on the size chart of the 2014 SC. I have a customer with SC 1.0 right now in size M, with the 100/45 stem and 5 cm spacers under the armpads. The previous model in Large could also have fitted, even better in terms of less spacers under the armpads, but the reach of that basebar was too long. However, he wants to upgrade to the SC2.0.

His armpad reach to the middle of the pad from BB is 435
Armpad stack is 675
BB to shifter is 755
Saddle Height is 793
Basebar stack 608 and reach 630
These measurements are from the fitbike

Would you agree with me that the new SC in size L with the medium/near stem would be the best choise? What I cannot see is how to choose the right size of the mono extension. The short or the long one.

Thanks for your help.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jeroen-

Agree the Large-MN better matches the pad and basebar coordinates than something like a Medium-HN (which would bring the basebar slightly closer still). Large probably a better choice for that saddle height too.

Here are my mono length notes. Hope that helps!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jeroen-

Agree the Large-MN better matches the pad and basebar coordinates than something like a Medium-HN (which would bring the basebar slightly closer still). Large probably a better choice for that saddle height too.

Here are my mono length notes. Hope that helps!

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
Design Engineer - Speed

Thanks Carl.
I also noticed that the Medium with HN brings the basebar slightly closer, but to be honest I don't like to sell the SC with the H stems. Thanks for the mono notes. That was the missing piece I needed.
One happy customer to help to his new SC

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Chris Thornham from FLO (ST handle Canadian) and I had some back channel commo on compatibility some time ago and determined there should be no problems where clearance is concerned.

Thanks Carl. To confirm, we've put our wheel on the Speed Concept and haven't seen any issues.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MtnBikerChk wrote:
Thecipollinis wrote:
The Bontrager setup comes with a small bracket which bolts on top of the mono extension, allowing clearance for the arm pad "wing." The bottle cage bolts to this bracket. You need this piece to mount a standard (or XLab) cage, unless you can fabricate something.

Thanks -

edited: found it!

HOLY CRAP $89 just so I can get the mounting bracket?
http://store.trekbikes.com/product/bontrager+speed+concept+water+bottle+cage.do?sortby=ourPicks

Just to add to this. I noticed a rattle going over big pumps, but I didn't think anything of it for a while. This weekend, I found it it was the bolt at the bottom of the torpedo cage holding my Garmin mount to it that was springboarding off the aerobar extensions. I have a nice pit in it from that now. I shaved the bolt down, so it doesn't protrude past the nut, and I superglued some foam to the bottom of the nut itself.

Word of warning...

Paul
Current Top 2:
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [AdventureRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdventureRun wrote:
MtnBikerChk wrote:
Thecipollinis wrote:
The Bontrager setup comes with a small bracket which bolts on top of the mono extension, allowing clearance for the arm pad "wing." The bottle cage bolts to this bracket. You need this piece to mount a standard (or XLab) cage, unless you can fabricate something.

Thanks -

edited: found it!

HOLY CRAP $89 just so I can get the mounting bracket?
http://store.trekbikes.com/product/bontrager+speed+concept+water+bottle+cage.do?sortby=ourPicks

Just to add to this. I noticed a rattle going over big pumps, but I didn't think anything of it for a while. This weekend, I found it it was the bolt at the bottom of the torpedo cage holding my Garmin mount to it that was springboarding off the aerobar extensions. I have a nice pit in it from that now. I shaved the bolt down, so it doesn't protrude past the nut, and I superglued some foam to the bottom of the nut itself.

Word of warning...

greaaaaaaat. thanks for the warning.

Hey since I'm here, yesterday I took my new SC outside for the first time and that freakin speed box (rear) opened up twice on my ride. I remember some other people having that issue but I don't remember what the solutions are.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked this same question about two weeks ago and got some good replies.

I ended up just putting a piece of electrical tape over the top and about 2" down on each side (1 piece of tape perpendicular to the length of the box). It has worked for me. After each ride I can tell it would have popped open if the tape wasn't there. Plan on talking to my LBS about warrantying it next week.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
I asked this same question about two weeks ago and got some good replies.

I ended up just putting a piece of electrical tape over the top and about 2" down on each side (1 piece of tape perpendicular to the length of the box). It has worked for me. After each ride I can tell it would have popped open if the tape wasn't there. Plan on talking to my LBS about warrantying it next week.

Thanks. I was thinking about a rubber band. Frustrating though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine popped open two weekends ago and this weekend I reorganized the draft box such that everything was held together (wife's hair ties work well) and I then took up the empty space between the lid and the fillings with a shop rag (figured would be nice to have anyways so that I don't get grease all over my kit. This prevented CO2 cartridges, tools, etc from slamming into the top and popping it open. On my ride Sunday I had no issues with it popping open. Will report if I have any issues in the future with this.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Mine is already packed together similar to this. I surprisingly never had any popping open issues *knock on wood* despite what I've read on here. Maybe that's the fix.

Paul
Current Top 2:
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [AdventureRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdventureRun wrote:
Yeah. Mine is already packed together similar to this. I surprisingly never had any popping open issues *knock on wood* despite what I've read on here. Maybe that's the fix.

I will definitely try this.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [xthulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Powertap are you running? I was under the impression that Flo fairings would interfere with a Powertap due to the large flanges.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl,

Quick one - does the 2014 SC come with stainless steal nuts and bolts? One of my biggest gripes about the previous SC's was they came with bolts that quickly rusted. If they don't is there a set of bolts I can buy that are stainless?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [lmbasell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup...learned from that...almost everything is stainless on the new bike, and what isn't stainless has anti-corrosion coating.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Thecipollinis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting of topic from Speed Concept, but it's a Powertap G3 in the Flo90. I asked Wheelbuilder to put it in before I realized that Flo didn't recommend it. Wheelbuilder had no problem, and I subsequently checked in with Flo, and they said it was alright as long as it was properly installed. 500 miles and one 70.3 and no problems so far!

Harry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm 188cm tall. Is a size large SC 7.5 the right size?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [aalveng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe.

Overall height is not a good predictor of sizing success...much less fitting success...unless you are at the extremes (very short or very tall). Large may be a good place to start if all you're doing is a test ride at a dealer. It may not be the right size for you to actually purchase.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl or anyone who may know-

What length crank comes stock on the 2014 9 Series w/ Dura-Ace Di2 Large? I can't for the life of me find it listed on the website. I would just ask my dealer, but they are unfortunately closed for the evening and the employee who "runs" the P1 program is off on Fridays!

Thanks ahead of time for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My large 2014 7.5 came with a 175 6800. I would imagine the 9 follows suit even though it is a different group
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jack

In P1 you can pick your length. Stock for a Large 9.9 is 175mm

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl and JPH.

I'm assuming that since I didn't specify any particular crank length it should just be stock.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl or anyone else who can help???

Still posting Pbs in every race I've attempted on the trek. Went 42.6 ave for a 40k tt and sub 2hrs for an 80 despite the rear brake not releasing properly. Bike seems to be high maintenance though. My latest drama is the handle bars have started to squeak and now seem to rock from side to side when I climb. Ive check the bolts for the aerobar they seem okay. There are two stem to fork attachment bolts that I have identified in the manual that I havent checked. Could these coming loose cause the bars to flex from side to side when climbing, or is there something else I should try?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed this "creaking" noise when I am climbing on my 2014 SC. I just attributed it to the carbon frame. There doesn't appear to be anything to be concerned about though.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [aalveng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends, I'm 188cm, and can hit my fit coordinates on both a Large and an XL.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply

Prev Next