Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to diagnose much via the internet. Have you had your LBS look at things?

The rear brake could be a setup issue. On the previous bike it was possible to orient the cable clamp nut incorrectly and it would hang up on the brake booster. Eliminated that issue on the new bike, so not sure what's going on in your case.

On the bar, good idea to check the stem-to-fork bolts for proper torque. Likewise the stem pinch band bolt (the one that clamps the internal steerer), and even before that I'd loosen the pinch band bolt and ensure your internal steerer is properly set up. It preloads the headset bearings in addition to providing a mounting point for the stem.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm considering getting a 2014 sc with da di2 to upgrade from my 2012 version with ultegra components. Is there any reason to wait for the 2015 version? Do you forsee any significant changes to the bike next year (I'm guessing no and it will be mostly different paint schemes)? I'm sure you can't divulge details but I'm curious if there would be any reason to wait (other than not to spend the money).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forsee no significant changes for 2015.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
drakes wrote:
Carl, just built the fourth speed concept in store and we're having slight issues with the cable covers on the head stem. What we've seen in 3 of the 4 cases is the carbon fairing is not molded precisely to the metal stem, requiring sanding to allow for the counter sunk screw guides to line up with the threads in the head stem. Even after this they became very brittle and 2 have cracked from the back pressure from not meshing with the stem. (this is all installed using a torque wrench). Just wondering if there's any fix other than sanding that we're missing over here?

I was only able to get two of the three screws in to mine. Interested in Carl's reply.

Anyone know if there was an outcome or solution to this. I could not even get the cover down low enough to put the screws in.

Thanks,
Bart
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [bart1313] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a few notes in the other 2104SC thread.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:

The rear brake could be a setup issue. On the previous bike it was possible to orient the cable clamp nut incorrectly and it would hang up on the brake booster. Eliminated that issue on the new bike, so not sure what's going on in your case.

On the bar, good idea to check the stem-to-fork bolts for proper torque. Likewise the stem pinch band bolt (the one that clamps the internal steerer), and even before that I'd loosen the pinch band bolt and ensure your internal steerer is properly set up. It preloads the headset bearings in addition to providing a mounting point for the stem.

Hi Carl,

well I pulled aero bars off again - THERE IS ONLY ONE STEM TO FORK BOLT. Whats going on with the LBS. Ive been doing some hill climbs recently, reefing on the bars which have been rocking from side to side. Is there any chance I have damaged anything with only one stem to fork bolt and the other missing? Is there a trek representation I can get in contact with in Perth, Australia about my Trek as clearly I have some conerns. I am really quiet upset and concerned about this.

Thanks
Last edited by: LzBones: Apr 28, 14 23:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the very least I'd suggest replacing the one bolt you did have in there, as it may have been damaged by the rocking motion. Otherwise, it's a good idea to have a dealer check over the rest of the components up there for cracks and the like. Don't know which store you were working with, but a quick search on the trekbikes.com Australia site, under the dealer locator tab, shows 14 shops in the greater Perth area. There's also a Trek Australia contact/feedback page here.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl

Do you have any visibility over European stuff?

I ordered a P1 SC in Feb and delivery was specified as (from memory) 39 days or similar and then about 3 weeks later was contacted and told by the dealer that it was going to be another month on top of that because of "frame shortages" at Trek. So, the revised delivery dates mean the bike was due for despatch from Trek to the dealer last Friday. Then, at the start of last week the dealer checked their system (again - having checked a week before at my request to confirm everything was fine and at that stage everything was still on schedule) and the bike had been delayed again (no reason has been given and Trek didn't actually bother to notify the dealer). Just wondering how customer service from Trek in Europe can be this bad when you do such a good job here! Any insight as to what's going on outside the US both in terms of why deliveries are being so delayed and why they can't be bothered to tell people?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

I´m considering updating my "old 2011" Speed-Concept with the new 2014 model. The current one is size S, with a 60/45 stem. Just want to make sure that I´m on the right track with size and stem selection. I went through the fitting guide and these are the numbers:

Pad stack: 605mm
Pad reach: 420mm
Base bar stack: 545mm
Base bar reach: 595mm
Saddle height: 750mm
Saddle setback: -65mm

This will bring me again to a size S, with a medium-near stem (15+5/15). For the seatpost I would take the 335mm option, the seatpost offset would be 15mm.
Also, I´m wondering which extension should be used. Right now I´m using extension with a 16 degree bend, the position of my hand is about 10mm higher than my armpads. Can I get this position with the short ergo-grip? Or do I have to use the s-bend?

Thanks,
Christian
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [lachlan73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the delay. No insight into delivery issues outside of the US. Project One delays are receiving a lot of attention...all I can say is we're doing everything we can to improve the situation. Sometimes there's a perfect storm that starts with an unexpected supply chain issue (frames, components, etc) and gets worse with something like a paint shop bottleneck. Or the reverse. No idea what combination of any of these is behind the delays in your order...but Trek Europe customer service can find out based on your order #...which the dealer should have.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [baguette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like you worked through the chart the way it was intended. nice job. only one change I'd make...that's a UCI-legal setback you've listed, and I very much doubt you'll hit it with the 15mm offset post. You'll want the 50mm offset.

as for the extension choice, you didn't say what extension you're using now, only an angle measurement. the only mono-extensions with an angular upturn are the ergo bend models, so if you don't want to use your old extensions in the plug'n'play mono then you'll want an ergo. the ergo comes in two lengths, and I put up some notes on choosing between them here.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LzBones wrote:
Carl wrote:

Hi Carl,

well I pulled aero bars off again - THERE IS ONLY ONE STEM TO FORK BOLT. Stupid stupid LBS. Ive been doing some hill climbs recently, reefing on the bars which have been rocking from side to side. Is there any chance I have damaged anything with only one stem to fork bolt and the other missing? Is there a trek representation I can get in contact with in Perth, Australia about my Trek as clearly my LBS is not doing the job properly. I am really quiet upset and concerned about this.

Thanks

im in Perth and will be looking to buy a trek sc soon so let me know who to avoid haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
looks like you worked through the chart the way it was intended. nice job. only one change I'd make...that's a UCI-legal setback you've listed, and I very much doubt you'll hit it with the 15mm offset post. You'll want the 50mm offset.

many thanks!

Carl wrote:
as for the extension choice, you didn't say what extension you're using now, only an angle measurement. the only mono-extensions with an angular upturn are the ergo bend models, so if you don't want to use your old extensions in the plug'n'play mono then you'll want an ergo. the ergo comes in two lengths, and I put up some notes on choosing between them here.

I´m using Gamma extensions from Tririg right now. The plug'n'play mono extensions would be the compromise if no other of the standard extensions fits. I don´t like the cable routing there, it´s not as perfect as I could be - and I don´t like that :)
I made some pictures of the cockpit, maybe this helps:

It does not necessarily have to be exact the same positioning of the hand. I´m looking for the closest match and I´m also fine with bending my wrist further.

Thanks,
Christian
Last edited by: baguette: Apr 27, 14 0:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the Plug'n'Play going to become a stock option on Project 1 orders? Since mono extensions are proprietary, owning two would be quite the waste.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [baguette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the straight stick mono angled slightly upwards will probably come the closest to what you've got right now.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good question on a good point. I don't have an answer other than it's not currently an option.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
At the very least I'd suggest replacing the one bolt you did have in there, as it may have been damaged by the rocking motion. Otherwise, it's a good idea to have a dealer check over the rest of the components up there for cracks and the like. Don't know which store you were working with, but a quick search on the trekbikes.com Australia site, under the dealer locator tab, shows 14 shops in the greater Perth area. There's also a Trek Australia contact/feedback page here.

Thanks,

Ill follow it up today.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my next event I want to use two bottles, one will be a bta. Ive tried using one behind and I just dont like it. So out of the two options to place it on the frame which is likely to be the better aero position, the down tube or seat tube??? Any idea??
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably downtube

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 SC 7.5 (medium frame) that I have been riding since mid-February while I waited for my 9.9 to come in. I'm trying to gauge if anyone might be interested in taking this bike off my hands now that my 9.9 is finally here. I wasn't sure where to post, as it's not really up for sale yet.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [SJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone disassembled a 2014 model yet for a travel case and specifically using the Aerus Biospeed travel case?

I am looking for any best practices or tips for packing it.

I had very little issues packing up my old Specialized Transition with it, but it had a typical stem and bars that can be laid down without detaching cables.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 9 series sc that I've traveled with using the aerus bag. I'm sure its pretty much the same with the new model. You have to remove the base bar and lay it on the side of the frame which means you have to remove the front brake wedge and cable to get enough slack on the cable to lay the base bar on the side of the frame.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are a few pictures of my 2014 7.5 in a BikeBoxAlan.co.uk (borrow from a friend).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wka5z6h2q6n7ra/IMG_20140428_202803.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dg8p3eucajsdqch/IMG_20140428_202814.jpg

Removed rear derailleur, the aero fin and three bolts holding the bars together. The aero
bars has quite a bit of cable slack, not so much for the brake cables.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I emailed my lbs to see if they had any 2014 models in stock of the 7.5.... His reply was they had one 2013 left which apart from the 11 speed, it was basically the same.... I instantly thought of this thread haha
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
I emailed my lbs to see if they had any 2014 models in stock of the 7.5.... His reply was they had one 2013 left which apart from the 11 speed, it was basically the same.... I instantly thought of this thread haha

He is probably wrong... 2014 was a pretty big jump for the 7.5
Quote Reply

Prev Next