Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [gienopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how much the Trek protection plan would cost on a speed concept 9 frame?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cost me $500 - that's the new plan, full crash insurance plus wear, tear, and component replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [vicmasters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was that for the frame or complete bike? I assume they won't cover the group (ultegra Di2 with DA crank) that I'm putting on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope - that was for everything. chain, cassette, cabling (which you shouldn't need), any components that wear out, etc. Doesn't cover tubes or tires. I did essentially the same build. It doesn't cover the Quarq I put on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one, right?

My guess as to what happened, based on your other note in this thread:

The box is sold with the rail installed...keeps things together. The rail and the box are intentionally tight relative to each other to prevent the box from rattling on rail once installed. Off the bike, you've got a lot less leverage to overcome that friction...once installed, the frame becomes a pretty hefty object to pull against. So when removing the rail was difficult you assumed the button had something to do with it. But once the button clears the recess on the box...which is well before it travels far enough to pass beyond the hole in the rail and pop out the back...only friction between the rail and the box prevents the rail from moving. The button isn't involved anymore.

It's not a strong spring, so I'll grant you it's physically easy to push things beyond their functional limits.

ETA:fixed typo

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: May 8, 14 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vicmasters wrote:
Nope - that was for everything. chain, cassette, cabling (which you shouldn't need), any components that wear out, etc. Doesn't cover tubes or tires. I did essentially the same build. It doesn't cover the Quarq I put on.

But you built up the bike via P1, or you brought your own components and it covered those? I'm just buying the frame and using a group that I already have. I would assume it doesn't cover any of that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad. I didn't read carefully enough. You're right, it very likely only covers the frame, and is thus probably not worth it in your situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vicmasters wrote:
My bad. I didn't read carefully enough. You're right, it very likely only covers the frame, and is thus probably not worth it in your situation.

It depends if it is the same pricing as you or less. I will find out when I pick up my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
probably downtube

Thanks - One bottle BTA, one bottle with nutrition on downtube got me ~2hr10 bike split at recent half - fast eneough for me (and a 7 min PB over my previous bike).
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
U did a 2:10'at busso?!!! Damn ok which pro were u?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
This one, right?

My guess as to what happened, based on your other note in this thread:

The box is sold with the rail installed...keeps things together. The rail and the box are intentionally tight relative to each other to prevent the box from rattling on rail once installed. Off the bike, you've got a lot less leverage to overcome that friction...once installed, the frame becomes a pretty hefty object to pull against. So when removing the rail was difficult you assumed the button had something to do with it. But once the button clears the recess on the box...which is well before it travels far enough to pass beyond the hole in the rail and pop out the back...only friction between the rail and the box prevents the rail from moving. The button isn't involved anymore.

It's not a strong spring, so I'll grant you it's physically easy to push things beyond their functional limits.

ETA:fixed typo

This is exactly what happened, but the other considerable factor was a total lack of instruction, illustration, etc on the packaging, so I was't even sure which way I need to push, pull, snap or twist when trying to get the rail off the box for installation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that...is good to know. thanks for the heads-up.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else had experiences with the stem/steering pinch thing riding up on a 2014 7.5? I feel like I need to re-adjust it
every other ride to stop it from riding up on the steerer tube and having it crush the front top front of the fork.
Been trying to figure out a good way to make a permanent solution like a mini stem cap.

Lars
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [larsgt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Lars-

If that's riding up then one (or both) of two things is happening: the two bolts holding the stem are loose, and/or the pinch band bolt is loose. I suggest this:

-remove stem cover
-remove bolts holding mono to stem (i.e. remove bar)
-loosen stem pinch band bolt
-tighten/verify bearing preload (internal steerer) @2Nm max
-tighten/verify stem-to-fork bolts @ spec torque 10Nm
-tighten/verify stem pinch band bolt @ spec torque 5.2Nm
-reinstall the bar, mono, and stem cover

Once the stem has been set in position as above it shouldn't move at all.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I saw this at my lbs.

Where the heck can I buy this sucker or something similar!?

http://www.tri-run.com/drink/eetsystemen-fiets/bontrager-trek-sc-tubebox

http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/208730390
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to a not so local bike shop here in western australia today, the last place which have an SC on the shop floor! They told me it is a quicker turnaround to actually order a project one, even if it is a colour with no price increase because the stock 'starry night' ones are that thin on the ground. Anyway, the bike seems quite compact! maybe im used to my older cervelo. Im only 178cm and their medium even looked too small!

Anyway, Carl or anyone else, i have a bit of a query. Im getting a retul muve fit this coming saturday. From the information gather, i assume they will be able to tell me the size for a trek, but what is more concerning, are people here OR the fitter able to glean what size stem needed ? (eg low-far etc)? I would have to order the bike, and the short ski bends felt awesome, but i wouldnt know which size stem to get to make it work. If my fitter isnt able to identify this info (he is a shiv/cannondale dealer primarily but has fitted treks before), if i display my retul results, is it something that can be identified on there? I would hate to order an 'x' size with the wrong cockpit set up...by the way the bike looks friggen awesome just quietly!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [jstoveld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedbox 2, part # 436152 from your Trek dealer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what you should come away from the fit with are a set of coordinates which include armpad stack and reach (from the BB), basebar stack and reach, and saddle height. there will be many many more than that, but those are the ones which are used in the 2014SC fit chart, which, when used correctly, will zero in on the frame, stem, and monospacer combination which best fits those coordinates.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome im printing this and taking it with me, thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone got a Trek Factory Racing bike? Feel free to take a heap of pics! im trying to order mine on sunday after a retul fit on saturday, im digging the factory racing team. I like the red/white spartacus one too but it looks a bit 'fem'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our cages work on the Trek bracket. If you are interested in running a Torpedo bottle, the bottle is optimized for XLAB cage use.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl, I had the old model Speed Concept 9 series in a small with 10/100 stem. I no longer have the bike, but am looking to buy a 2014 SC to get the same setup. Am I right in thinking the small with low/far stem should be a straight swap in fit co-ordinates?

Also, I had the seat post head with more offset, which I think was 30mm. I see that the new models have reversible posts, with the 7 being 17mm offset, and the 9 either 15mm or 50mm. Can the 9 series seatpost go in a 7, or do I need to buy the 9 if I think I may need the 50mm offset?

Can you tell me how close together the pads can go on the new model, i.e. the minimum distance from inner edge to inner edge of the pad holders?

What is the official name of the gizmo that allows the use of normal extensions to be able to rotate them to get the shifters closer together?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure I can exactly replicate my setup from the old model.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries, Steve-

Yes, the new bike in a small/low-far will hit the same position envelope as the old bike in same combo...plus a little more.

The seatposts are interchangeable within the same SC generation ...so yes, a 2014 7srs post and 2014 9srs post can go in either 2014 frame. You can either purchase the 9srs 50mm offset post separately (PN 436175 for the short post, which is the stock length for small frames), or in Project One you can spec it from the beginning.

Pads will go as narrow as 30mm inside edge to inside edge.

"Plug-In" monoextension, PN 438481.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to figure out what hydration/nutrition setup I will be running on my new SpeedConcept. I ordered the BTA bottle mount, but not 100% sure I'll use the Trek cage for it... For IM/Training, I'm going trying to lock down what would be best.

The plan is an X-Lab Torpedo bottle BTA (water), some form of aero bottle on the down tube or seat tube (concentrated nutrition) and the single behind the saddle bottle for water (easy to swap or spray down if I have to pee on the bike). The aero bento box will hold gel bottles or shot blocks (depending which route I go) and the draft box will hold my flat kit.

So the big questions are, what aero bottle would be best? Best to put it on the down tube or seat tube?

Something that confused me is why in the world someone would run a flat kit in a round bottle behind the seat as noted in the article below when the SC has a draft box that is at least drag neutral and you could run an additional water/nutrition bottle behind the seat.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...-dream-machine_92378
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't do any aerobottle shootout work on the new bike...basic thought process was: we've got drag-neutral and/or drag-benefit solutions for ordinary decent round bottles, why bother? That said, the one aerobottle we did test (tho only against round) was the newer UCI-legal Elite bottle ...just as a quick sanity check for the Trek Factory Racing (and MTN Qubeka, and Bissell) teams regarding what - if anything - to carry during their TTs. We tested with our pedaling mannequin and put the bottles low on the seat tube. Our bullets back to the Race Shop were:

· The Elite has slightly less than half the drag penalty of a round bottle.

o Avg drag penalty for Elite bottle from 0-10deg is ~24g vs ~54g for round
o translates to roughly 1% vs 2% of total drag with rider-on.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next