Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Premier Tactical [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Brian has a new sample of a prototype nutrition/ Hydration system.

It test very well in computer simulations.

It will be proprietary for the Tactical if we move forward. It’s a modular system solution for Olympic, 70.3 and long course. Hopefully the tunnel numbers will match the computer numbers and the costs to produce at production levels will work out.

Do you have a pic of it?
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The base unit can be used for your computer mounts and hydration for short course (29oz).

With the cage on for (course bottle swap) - the base unit is used for computer mount and for concentrate nutrition and the bottle for hydration.

Straw receiver on the left and computer will mount to the fill cap. The cage titl is so the bottle will clear the computer.

Let see if I did this right and the images up-load.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Feb 19, 19 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Acts like a faring but not a faring. I like this as it really cleans up that whole area between the extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks ace. I think I am ready for a Tactical now. This was my last hang up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

A few questions.
1) I am assuming that cavity in the front is a Garmin Mount. What is that small knob protruding just below it on the left?

2) is the base where the bottle mounted on hollow or full?

3) if fluid can’t be put into it, can I have a trap door so I can put GU’s in it and get read of the need for a bento?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Garmin mount will be fixed to the screw on fill cap (front center). Left is the straw attachment point. The large lower piece between the extension tubes is hollow and will hold 29 oz of water.

The secondary mount shaped like a "T", the cage and upper bottle can come off.

So - just run the lower unit for Olympic distance and shorter. You have water and computer mount.

For longer distance use the lower unit for 29 oz concentrated liquid nutrition. Add the upper unit "T" mount, cage and bottle and use that to swap out "on course" liquid.

Dan Kennison

Last edited by: dkennison: Feb 19, 19 12:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
The Garmin mount will be fixed to the screw on fill cap (front center). Left is the straw attachment point. The large lower piece between the extension tubes is hollow and will hold 29 oz of water.

The secondary mount shaped like a "T", the cage and upper bottle can come off.

So - just run the lower unit for Olympic distance and shorter. You have water and computer mount.

For longer distance use the lower unit for 29 oz concentrated liquid nutrition. Add the upper unit "T" mount, cage and bottle and use that to swap out "on course" liquid.

That’s interesting. How easy will just the “base unit” be to remove and empty/drain/clean out?

Also I wondered if you considered a nose cone/bento type unit that integrated to the stem cover/head tube similar to a Scott Plasma Premium or Canyon Speedmax type of setup? That seems to be the most aesthetic solution and keeps everything indepedent of the extensions so it’s not affected by risers or tilt.
Last edited by: TAC: Feb 19, 19 13:27
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We use the shape of the extensions to lock the system in place from the sides and two small tabs on the (top/back) so you only need two short velcro pieces (one on each side) in the front that will go through the existing holes in the extension to keep everything secure. So it will come off easy for cleaning. They system also tightens everything up - similar to an extension bridge.

This system goes up and down with the extensions based on the number of spacers that each athlete uses. The base unit is flush with the extensions on the horizontal plane and the added cage/bottle is shielded by the athletes arms. It's really free hydration/nutrition with respect to aero drag. A fixed lower (top tube/stem cover) bento complicates the issue.

If you only have 5-15 mm spacers - a bento may not increase drag - being blocked by the hydration but if you were up higher than that you would still have the big bento sitting up in what is really nice clean air. I have done some drawings of bentos that would work well with low stack - maybe a future item.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood on the bento being in free airflow across the front end, that’s why I asked about the nosecone piece in front of it like what profile design does in the aeria on the Scott Plasma.

Also it will be interesting to see the drag numbers of the “free” space between extension with a tilt kit installed - Brian are you testing both flat and tilted extensions?

Last comment - if a rider uses let’s say 30mm+ in risers, how much weight is being carried above the bars assuming a full base unit and bottle/cage? I would think they 29fluid oz plus whatever is in a bottle, and the associated kit is going to have some effect on handling if mounted up that high.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian has the tilt kit with the bike at A2 but I don't think he will have the time to test the hydration with the tilt separately. I did not ask him to. He is testing as part of several other tests that have nothing to do with the Tactical. I have had testing done in the computer with and without the tilt. I will wait on the tunnel results to finalize.

Yes - the weight of the athletes hydration supply will be there but many run BTA's now so I'm not sure how much difference one would feel. Any weight "high" is always a consideration.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the prompt replies Dan. It will be interesting to see the results of testing and I really hope we can get those with the tilted extensions as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the looks of this. Very nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that looks awesome. Definite want!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great!! Any images with the armrests in place?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dammit. You will make lose my tilt. I can’t see how that thing doesn’t act like a sail when tilted up.

Btw, how easy is it to remove it for cleaning?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Brian has a new sample of a prototype nutrition/ Hydration system.

so much yes!!!!!

that said... looking at his spy shot i cant figure out what im looking at! guess thats why its called a spy shot.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha you must have seen that post and then skipped the rest. Scroll back up, Dan shows pictures and explains the whole thing. Spoiler: it's awesome.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Haha you must have seen that post and then skipped the rest. Scroll back up, Dan shows pictures and explains the whole thing. Spoiler: it's awesome.

*facepalm* you're right... i completely didnt look at the rest of the thread.

i REALLY like the design of this. pretty dang awesome. its not what i was expecting honestly. its innovative and different.

that said im also using the tilt kit and i dont think there is any way id go back to not using them. im so much more comfortable tilted. im hoping there are some good numbers for use with the tilt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one more thing...

it would be very cool if the bottle cage mount was xlabs torpedo friendly, or if there was a option to buy a cage for their torpedo bottles.

concentrate in the base, straight water up on top that can be easily drank without yanking a bottle and easily filled.

Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Looks ace. I think I am ready for a Tactical now. This was my last hang up.

being a tactical owner this is the last piece ive been waiting for. i dont dislike my xlabs mount at all but im all about integrated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do like my xlab cage bottle setup on my Tactical works really well. But because I used all the spacers to get my extension height where I wanted them, I had to zip tie the xlab and extensions together for more strength. Looks like Dan’s idea would be more aero and do away with the zip ties. For me it would be easier to pack the bike and fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

Do you have a pic of it?

Yes, yes I do.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Brian has the tilt kit with the bike at A2 but I don't think he will have the time to test the hydration with the tilt separately. I did not ask him to. He is testing as part of several other tests that have nothing to do with the Tactical. I have had testing done in the computer with and without the tilt. I will wait on the tunnel results to finalize.

Yes - the weight of the athletes hydration supply will be there but many run BTA's now so I'm not sure how much difference one would feel. Any weight "high" is always a consideration.

Can you run the computer numbers with a tilt? I am ok with the computer model testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
dkennison wrote:

Can you run the computer numbers with a tilt? I am ok with the computer model testing.

I feel that the more stack height, the more of an aero hit you're going to take with this. I'm sitting on some pretty good stack so I dont know if it will work for me. Curious on the comp models at different stack heights too
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [travisfodor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travisfodor wrote:

I feel that the more stack height, the more of an aero hit you're going to take with this. I'm sitting on some pretty good stack so I dont know if it will work for me. Curious on the comp models at different stack heights too

IDK if I'd go with that. If it's well shielded you may not see any hit or maybe an improvement.

A decent rule of thumb is if you're a high(er) yaw rider you want a taller aerodynamic headtube. If you're a lower yaw rider you want more separation between the base bars and elbow cups with aero shaped spacers.

The tilt is a whole different beast though. Seems to be best on the riders that go the fastest (think pro cyclists) and does worse consistently on athletes who experience more time at higher yaws. I didn't see anything in these sessions that makes me think different.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Feb 20, 19 18:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next