Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

B_Doughtie wrote:
How’s your 5k gone this summer after your 5k 30 day challenge btw?

thanks for remembering. my running has deteriorated a lot. i may have runners dystonia (leg goes numb after a while) . it started before that 5k challenge. i guess im just a high miles lsd type runner

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Fishbum wrote:
mickison wrote:
Her IG posts are brutal to read. Cheesy, cliche, overly dramatic.

I would say media whore but I'll get in trouble for that so let's just go with drama queen.

Kinda like most triathletes, especially those pushing their brands and sponsors?

Pictures of them doing workouts, sometimes shirtless, or wearing minimal clothing. Insert some motivational or "this was so challenging" statement/quote. This is the workout or how much training I did today, etc. And then all the tags.

I don't really see the difference.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
mickison wrote:

I would say media whore but I'll get in trouble for that so let's just go with drama queen.

Kinda like most triathletes, especially those pushing their brands and sponsors?

Pictures of them doing workouts, sometimes shirtless, or wearing minimal clothing. Insert some motivational or "this was so challenging" statement/quote. This is the workout or how much training I did today, etc. And then all the tags.

Agree. No difference. Probably why I normally only follow my friends on social media.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CU427] [ In reply to ]

CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
mickison wrote:

If no one made snarky comments about those you'd have a point. However, for one example, even the NFL commentati have lots of jokes about the cliché IG/ FB/ whatever posts and PCs by athletes and coaches.

And, of those triathletes you're bringing up, how many of them have claimed they're going to do something that is bordering on impossible, if not impossible, and for which they're incredibly unprepared? Let's keep this apples to apples.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:
dunno wrote:
mdiet22 wrote:
Good for her to try to raise the money, but there is no way in hell she even makes it a week.

I wonder if like almost every charity less than about 5% of money donated actually gets to the intended recipients...

Charities are a scam.
Remember, she's doing this for the children.

Can someone refresh me on exactly how she's raising the money? I know she has a $100K goal, but is there a link to a donation page? Are her sponsors matching anything? Are there milestones, like Lawson Craddock saying "I'll donate $100 for each stage I finish?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Toby] [ In reply to ]

Toby wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
mickison wrote:

If no one made snarky comments about those you'd have a point. However, for one example, even the NFL commentati have lots of jokes about the cliché IG/ FB/ whatever posts and PCs by athletes and coaches.

And, of those triathletes you're bringing up, how many of them have claimed they're going to do something that is bordering on impossible, if not impossible, and for which they're incredibly unprepared? Let's keep this apples to apples.

I was just commenting to the quotes on the IG posts in general. I don't see the relation of her expressing she wants to go for something impossible to her cheesy, cliche, overlay dramatic posts. She JUST started mentioning this on her social media, and her social media history seems extensive, so the cheesy, cliche, overly dramatic posts probably run past just this little "stunt"

I think we all agree that what she is doing is impossible, but she is giving it a go and seeing how far she can take it.

However it seems everyone on this thread has gone beyond the "she won't complete it" to lets find every single thing about Ashley Horner, put it under a microscope and criticize everything she does every single day. And lets all do it hiding behind our computer screens with anonymous names. Nevermind the 50/50, now we are debating her tattoos, social media, debating her finances, etc.

So what happens at the end of this?

She won't complete it (we can all agree on that), money will be raised, she will move onto a new challenge, and ST will go on forever about how she is "false" etc.

What is the ST intention? To out her is a fraud? To get public recognition that what she is claiming in impossible? To shame her away from the sport?

There is no difference, they're all drama queens (kings)

What is the ST intention? To out her is a fraud? To get public recognition that what she is claiming in impossible? To shame her away from the sport?

Probably the same as all those outing people who cheat or cut corners, or claim one thing in public to make themselves look good while doing something very different in private. Make them accountable and to try and stop others from doing it.

Would you prefer that everyone just stays so that she has no accountability?

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:

Probably the same as all those outing people who cheat or cut corners, or claim one thing in public to make themselves look good while doing something very different in private. Make them accountable and to try and stop others from doing it.

Would you prefer that everyone just stays so that she has no accountability?

No but discussing this through ST where she does not go, nor does 99.9% of the public go won't do much. I don't see this thread as a way to hold her accountable, especially since she is NOT on ST, nor will it prevent the other 99.9% of the public that has zero clue what ST is.

Maybe try to get some local news media outlets to cover this in her first few days to show her validity?

Bring this up to big media drivers (Not ST, maybe runners world, or any fitness publication)

Ask for large media outlets to interview her, especially after day 5 when she's not doing this anymore.

I am not disagreeing with you at all, I just don't see any action outside of this thread and a couple people asking her on social media a couple Q's that would be giving her accountability.
Last edited by: CU427: Jul 28, 18 11:19

CU427 wrote:
Toby wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
mickison wrote:

I was just commenting to the quotes on the IG posts in general. I don't see the relation of her expressing she wants to go for something impossible to her cheesy, cliche, overlay dramatic posts. She JUST started mentioning this on her social media, and her social media history seems extensive, so the cheesy, cliche, overly dramatic posts probably run past just this little "stunt"

I think we all agree that what she is doing is impossible, but she is giving it a go and seeing how far she can take it.

However it seems everyone on this thread has gone beyond the "she won't complete it" to lets find every single thing about Ashley Horner, put it under a microscope and criticize everything she does every single day. And lets all do it hiding behind our computer screens with anonymous names. Nevermind the 50/50, now we are debating her tattoos, social media, debating her finances, etc.

She won't complete it (we can all agree on that), money will be raised, she will move onto a new challenge, and ST will go on forever about how she is "false" etc.

So you agree she won’t complete the challenge, therefore the purpose of the challenge is not to complete it but increase her exposure /clicks/and followers all at the expense of people donating to a charity that will most likely not see any of the money raised due to ‘admin’ and associated costs.

The whole charity angle people like this use is a joke. For example, I’d love to trek to the South Pole, but it would be horrendously expensive and I couldn’t afford it. Hey I know let’s get other people to pay for it by claiming I’m doing the challenge ‘for charity’. If there is any money left over at the end sweet I’ll donate it for sure, if not dam that’s a shame but thanks all the same....
Last edited by: dunno: Jul 28, 18 11:24

CU427 wrote:
What is the ST intention?

If you're looking for the membership of Slowtwitch to declare an overall consensus, that would be of epic historical significance, and not likely to occur over an issue of this nature

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [dunno] [ In reply to ]

dunno wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Toby wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
mickison wrote:

at the expense of people donating to a charity that will most likely not see any of the money raised due to ‘admin’ and associated costs.

The whole charity angle people like this use is a joke. For example, I’d love to trek to the South Pole, but it would be horrendously expensive and I couldn’t afford it. Hey I know let’s get other people to pay for it by claiming I’m doing the challenge ‘for charity’. If there is any money left over at the end sweet I’ll donate it for sure, if not dam that’s a shame but thanks all the same....

I never said or claimed that part. Are you claiming that as a fact, or is that your idea of what she is doing?

This should get national media attention not just a ST thread. Perhaps you should lead the charge it getting this news story to the bigger media outlets.

"Fitness enthusiast uses children charity donations from public to fund personal exercising vacation with little to no money to give to the kids"

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RandMart] [ In reply to ]

RandMart wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
dunno wrote:
mdiet22 wrote:
Good for her to try to raise the money, but there is no way in hell she even makes it a week.

I wonder if like almost every charity less than about 5% of money donated actually gets to the intended recipients...

Charities are a scam.
Remember, she's doing this for the children.

Can someone refresh me on exactly how she's raising the money? I know she has a $100K goal, but is there a link to a donation page? Are her sponsors matching anything? Are there milestones, like Lawson Craddock saying "I'll donate $100 for each stage I finish?"

Up until now my comments have been about this from the perspective of an athletic endeavour, but having only now bothered to look at her instagram, the lack of any solid promotion for this is peculiarly low profile with only a few weeks from her starting.

You have to be aware that the 50/50 is happening and actively search for it's few mentions on her account. Similarly, she affords her charity marginal exposure in comparison to her self-promotion.

I would have expected the event and the charity to be all pervasive in her marketing at this stage.

I have several few friends who use their running (both competitive and solo) as an avenue to raise money for their respective charities and their donation-generating events are well publicised. For someone who touts herself as a business woman, Ashley's promotion appears quite unbusinesslike.

I'm not an instagram user or follower, so if I'm missing something here, I will gladly stand corrected.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [dunno] [ In reply to ]

This.

I always wondered what "all proceeds go to charity" meant ... Apparently it can legally mean 'net donations after expenses' or 'total gross donations' are given to the cause

So "charity event" could mean "gofundme event"

That doesn't mean that this event is a scam but it would be good to know about any charity before donating.

CU427 wrote:

Your first problem is to think of ST as a monolithic entity with a single intention. Once you internalize the fact that there are multiple posters here with differing opinions it will start to make more sense. Or at least, you won't be pretending that because person A said something, when person B disagrees it's contradictory.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]

lacticturkey wrote:
This.

I always wondered what "all proceeds go to charity" meant ... Apparently it can legally mean 'net donations after expenses' or 'total gross donations' are given to the cause

That doesn't mean that this event is a scam but it would be good to know about any charity before donating.

If something like this doesn't specifically say "All proceeds go to charity" then I assume that this is just a way for them to travel the country and participate in stuff on someone else's dime. When you see someone riding across the country to raise charity, the vast majority of the time they would raise more money by getting a job and donating what they earn.

I'm not interested in funding someone riding across Canada, or hiking to Everest base camp, etc.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]

Durhamskier wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:
This.

If something like this doesn't specifically say "All proceeds go to charity" then I assume that this is just a way for them to travel the country and participate in stuff on someone else's dime. When you see someone riding across the country to raise charity, the vast majority of the time they would raise more money by getting a job and donating what they earn.

I'm not interested in funding someone riding across Canada, or hiking to Everest base camp, etc.

At minimum, they should explain if 100% of donations go to charity or what their planned expenses are. But I agree, I'm not interested in funding their adventures.

CU427 wrote:
Toby wrote:
CU427 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
mickison wrote:

ST is full of a bunch of wannabe athletes that get their collective panties in a bunch if people somehow don’t show the proper “respect” to the hallowed sport of triathlon. Somehow by attempting this, she has not bowed down and taken seriously the fact that triathlon is hard, and what she is doing is harder, probably impossible. So she has sinned and must wear the scarlet letter. Or double letters ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [satanellus] [ In reply to ]

satanellus wrote:
I would have expected the event and the charity to be all pervasive in her marketing at this stage.

I know from first-hand experience that even with nationally recognized charities like American Cancer Society or MS Foundation, when I'm in fundraising mode for our Bike Tours, I have to hammer that message into everything, whether it's in my signature on here, in my profile on social media, anywhere I can say "I'm raising funds for so&so, and will be riding my bike from here to there in support this worthwhile cause. Any donation would be greatly appreciated"

Not saying, "here are some recent photos from my shoot for @InStyle magazine. Hat by @my-own-brand dot com. Stop by my booth at @fitness expo, @Beachtown USA. Also, I just finished an awesome training run for an insane exercise adventure [because life is an adventure, isn't it?] which I couldn't survive without my @PowerDot for recovery. Finally, as an aside, I'm raising money for an orphanage in Haiti"

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]

thats the catch though - it seems that even "all proceeds go to...." can mean that the legal minimum percentage if expenses arent covered"

and in some cases expenses can be high - a Alps charity ride organiser in europe started costing a salary for himself of 160Keuro - while 37K is national normal -

Sadly there are so many other cases of profiteering from good will under the banner of charity that its easy to be cynical as soon as you see someone slapping a charity on

Durhamskier wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:
This.

Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [windschatten] [ In reply to ]

windschatten wrote:
how hard Ironman actually is for "weight-challenged" people

I wonder what her w/kg is

It's hard to tell from her pix how tall she is, and then extrapolate what kind of muscle mass she's carrying [I thought that was more sensitive than "what she weighs"]

Maybe I've been watching too much Jurassic Park and Alien lately, but I've been looking at her as a new life-form, venturing into an inhospitable environment: through this journey how is this being going to meet it's metabolic needs? How will it be fueled? How will it be hydrated? What will be it's heating/cooling demands?

Remember, there was a time time when everyone though all dinosaurs were just really big, slow, cold-blooded lizards

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

RowToTri wrote:
On another subject, here is a video of a 100 mile ride she did in India to raise money for kids. It appears at one point she just fell for no apparent reason...
https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link

It looks like she ran into Donkey Kong's rear wheel. That draft must be like riding behind a box truck.

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [iruntrails] [ In reply to ]

iruntrails wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

On another subject, here is a video of a 100 mile ride she did in India to raise money for kids. It appears at one point she just fell for no apparent reason...
https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link

It looks like she ran into Donkey Kong's rear wheel. That draft must be like riding behind a box truck.

"Nothing particularly dramatic going on here. You think you could fall down, or something?" Hey, Boxcar, how 'bout you tap the brakes right when she's on your wheel?"

Re: Fitness star Ashley Horner to complete 50 ironman triathlons in 50 days [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

CaptainCanada wrote:

ST is full of a bunch of wannabe athletes that get their collective panties in a bunch if people somehow don’t show the proper “respect” to the hallowed sport of triathlon. Somehow by attempting this, she has not bowed down and taken seriously the fact that triathlon is hard, and what she is doing is harder, probably impossible. So she has sinned and must wear the scarlet letter. Or double letters ;)

Nope. I just don't think she has the capacity to do this to plan (at least not without cheating).

Prev Next