Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very happy with trainerroad and have a quick question on getting a "medal" for a new personal record for a given time interval... is there a way to see what the previous record was for that specific time interval?
I recently reset all my personal records (since trying out doing every workout in aero this year) so the medals are popping up more frequently than they used to when I had all my PR's from last year that included riding road bike sessions as well. Thanks for any thoughts.
Last edited by: ols: Feb 17, 16 8:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've been having issues with trainer road and the kickr. Intermittent drop outs from the kickr for a second or less. Cadence and hr don't appear to drop out. It happens 20 or 30 times in an hour. I tried a different ant stick, different USB port to no avail. It doesn't happen with my P2M or my wife's powertap. Only with here just using the kickr and a cadence sensor. Any ideas?

This tends to continue throughout the workout.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Last edited by: Chri55: Feb 19, 16 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, on the last podcast, one of you mentioned that there was an article in Bella News (think this is wrong) about training low, racing high. I'd like to read that article, but can't seem to find it. Can one of you point me in the direction of the article you're referring to?

Also, did you say that you could just walk into an imaging center for a DEXA report?

last...you all typically like AirKing fans and Cuore for cycling shorts, right? And one of you liked another of you liked some other brand. And what were the socks?
Last edited by: mjpwooo: Feb 20, 16 16:59
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad

Are swim and run workouts coming for the tri specialty plans?

Thanks

Andy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, wrt my previous post, here is what has transpired. Two things have happened. First, I rebooted the computer but I'm not sure this is relevant as the computer has been rebooted before to no avail. Just being completely candid. Second, I moved the power cord and made sure it was fully connected. It seemed to be but I pushed the adapter cord firmly into the dc block and it seemed to push in about 1 mm further. Perhaps this was an issue and there was intermittent contact. I can't say for sure but my kids run around the house and its likely someone may have jarred the contact. Anyhow, as of today the Kickr has performed without incident. It appears the problem has been solved. I'll update if there is any more issues.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Chad -

Question for you.

I have two "A" races this season - one in early May (Wildflower Long Course), and one in mid-September (IM Santa Cruz 70.3). I started in October with base training and will go through all three phases of base/build/specialty, so all is going according to plan for the first race. When that's done, I have 19 weeks between the two races. What plan(s) would you recommend I should transition into after my first "A" Race?

PS - really loving all new tri-plans you came up with this season. Makes planning so much more easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Ni Nate

I'm currently using TR 2.7.5 on MAC OSX, with Tacx Vortex on latest fw and Garmin Vector 2S. I'm using the PowerMatch function but getting big resistance spikes during workouts eg during a recovery segment of 135w the resistance is huge that 135w is impossible unless going into 1st gear, same at the other end, where segment is 310w the resistance is so high that you are hitting 400w+ to even get the pedals to turn, but then other parts of the workout are fine for same recovery and interval! I see others reporting same. Is there a tweak/fix to the algorithm going to be released soon?

Hey Viper,

We found out what is causing this bug. You're probably hitting your power "floor" of your trainer because of the gearing you're in during your rest periods.

What that means is at the speed that you're going during the rest intervals the Tacx can never lower resistance enough so that you hit your target. Then, if you have power match on we keep trying to lower the target all the way down until we hit a negative number. Then, if you know how ones and zeros work with computers, that negative number actually gets read as a gigantic number by the Tacx and it slams the brake on full.

There's two ways to fix this, one of them by you, and one of them by us. The quick and easy fix is for you to go into a smaller gear during your rest intervals so that you can hit that lower power target.

The fix for us requires a bit of coding and logic around these power floors.

Sorry about this, but for now our guidance is to switch to an easier gears during rest intervals.

Hi Nate

Any update on when the fix for the MAC OSX version of the app will by released?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a new user in my 4th week and I have noticed when comparing my graphs to others, my power output seems to have a lot more up and down variation:

compared to others who seem to have a much smoother output:

Could there be something wrong with my setup? Or is this a matter of skill?
I am using a Quarq powermeter with the bike mounted on a Kinetic Roadmachine 2.0
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [martyhogan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martyhogan wrote:
I'm a new user in my 4th week and I have noticed when comparing my graphs to others, my power output seems to have a lot more up and down variation:

compared to others who seem to have a much smoother output:

Could there be something wrong with my setup? Or is this a matter of skill?

I am using a Quarq powermeter with the bike mounted on a Kinetic Roadmachine 2.0

Its probably a combination of setup and skill.

Some of the people with the smooth outputs are using smart trainers that adjust the resistance to match the target power.

I have quarqs on 2 my road and tri bike, and a stages PM on my cyclocross bike. I use a cycleops jet fluid pro trainer. My graphs look more like yours. Some days its smoother than others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The graphs you see with smooth power profiles are those of users with electronic trainers (Wahoo Kickr, Tacx Neo etc.) that are being used in ERG mode. Regardless of gear or cadence, the power output is controlled by the trainer and therefore matches (within a few watts) the required power for the interval. When you compare those rides on TrainerRoad, check the user profile and I bet they are all performed with an electronic trainer.

Of course, the golden rule of training is "Don't compare your session with that of others".
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
viperlogic wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Ni Nate

I'm currently using TR 2.7.5 on MAC OSX, with Tacx Vortex on latest fw and Garmin Vector 2S. I'm using the PowerMatch function but getting big resistance spikes during workouts eg during a recovery segment of 135w the resistance is huge that 135w is impossible unless going into 1st gear, same at the other end, where segment is 310w the resistance is so high that you are hitting 400w+ to even get the pedals to turn, but then other parts of the workout are fine for same recovery and interval! I see others reporting same. Is there a tweak/fix to the algorithm going to be released soon?

Hey Viper,

We found out what is causing this bug. You're probably hitting your power "floor" of your trainer because of the gearing you're in during your rest periods.

What that means is at the speed that you're going during the rest intervals the Tacx can never lower resistance enough so that you hit your target. Then, if you have power match on we keep trying to lower the target all the way down until we hit a negative number. Then, if you know how ones and zeros work with computers, that negative number actually gets read as a gigantic number by the Tacx and it slams the brake on full.

There's two ways to fix this, one of them by you, and one of them by us. The quick and easy fix is for you to go into a smaller gear during your rest intervals so that you can hit that lower power target.

Sorry about this, but for now our guidance is to switch to an easier gears during rest intervals.

Hi Nate

Thanks

seconded.....

[as he writes from his macbook]
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there, sorry for the delayed response, but I was on a short vacation and Nate's on a longer one but he'll return next week.

The article was Trevor Connor's titled "Starving for Speed/How to Deplete" found in the March 2016 issue of Velo News. I can't find it on Velo's website, unfortunately, but to some extent the premise is similar to that of Intermittent Fasting and this is a good starting resource on that topic: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

Yes, we went to Reno Diagnostics and no doctor referral was required unless we wanted to include a bone density scan - that required a referral and bumped the $50 price tag up a bit.

Yep, AirKing fans, Cuore was Jonathan's preference, mine is Jakroo, and the socks are pretty unanimously Swiftwick Aspire (we prefer the 7-inch cuffs).

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [funfitandhappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Andy, indeed they are. I'm doing my best to wrap them up this week, as late as early next week, then the developers will require some time to get them implemented. But we're on it, and they are coming!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jaskew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there.

With 19 weeks, you have enough time to repeat an entire Build phase and then repeat your Half-Distance Specialty plan absorbing 16 of those weeks.

With the remaining 3 weeks, I'd recommend some downtime between Wildflower and recommencement of your training. But by "downtime", I don't necessarily mean time away from swimming, riding & running so much as time away from structured training.

My preference is to simply maintain my training schedule but tone down the intensity for a week or two, make things more about enjoying the activity with no particular goals or concerns other than fun and relative relaxation. Then, I'd use that third week to add some intensity back into the mix as I tried to rekindle my mental focus & mindset.

Happy to hear it! The specialty plans are on the way too. :)

Last edited by: chadtimmerman: Feb 23, 16 6:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chadtimmerman wrote:
Hey Andy, indeed they are. I'm doing my best to wrap them up this week, as late as early next week, then the developers will require some time to get them implemented. But we're on it, and they are coming!

You guys are AWESOME. Thanks Chad!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marty, I agree some are using different trainers but you can get really close by using any magnetic trainer. I am using a magnetic trainer and had the same questions at first. You can use the smoothing button to get a more consistent graph but I choose to use no smoothing and force my muscle fibers and brain to try and maintain the tight graph. I think this will make me a stronger more consistent rider long term. Just try to stay smooth on the pedal and stay between 10 up and 10 down on your power. I shoot for 5 up and 5 down now for a goal. If I am between those numbers then my graph is pretty stable. It takes a lot of concentration though and I still lose it on the power drops and/or rises when I try to find the right gear for the power output. Also keep in mind that some workouts have drills that some people skip on. Those will put drops and spikes into your graph where the program shows it steady, ex. one leg drills, high cadence, etc. It's a pretty awesome program and very affordable imo. Love it.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the feedback.
I was dreading the thought of training indoors but I am really enjoying and almost looking forward to (gasp!) each workout on TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just raced a half-ironman distance last weekend and in 10 weeks time will be doing another half-ironman distance. I've identified (through some people I trust) that strength is a limiting factor of mine to getting better on the bike. It's been suggested I should do some low cadence strength work on the bike. I was going to use the half-distance specificity plan again for the final 8 weeks. How would you suggest I incorporate low cadence efforts into this plan? Simply banging it in a big gear for one of the workout intervals each week? Or perhaps there's a more specific session available that I can substitute in once / week. I realise it's not the optimal time to be doing these efforts (given 10 weeks to race), but I'm willing to give it a shot anyway, cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

In terms of increasing strength, I'm not a big fan of low-cadence work since the actual force production isn't that far above and beyond the amount of force exerted during higher-rpm spinning, and it's nowhere near the force created when weight training. I also think the repetitive nature lends itself to injury if the biomechanics aren't just right.

But I also understand the arguments behind weight training and its carryover (or lack thereof) to on-the-bike strength and I try to avoid that endless controversy whenever possible. Instead, I prefer workouts that push your ability to create strength during muscle actions more similar to those you're trying to strengthen, and I even include a handful of these workouts in several of the Triathlon Build plans, e.g. Shasta, Haku & Fuji.

The basic theory behind these short, highly intense efforts is that by pushing watts well above those that you're used to sustaining, different types of muscle activity leads to positive and useful forms of strength adaptation in turn leading to greater work capacity, i.e. greater strength.

And while these are set aside as single workouts dedicated to this end, you can add efforts like these just about anywhere, indoors or outdoors, flat road, gentle to extreme grades, beginning, middle or end of ride/workout all depending on what you're looking to achieve.

In your case, I'd recommend starting with just three or four 20-second efforts at 150% FTP after you've warmed up but well before you've accumulated any real muscle fatigue - try to be as fresh as possible for these. Where you go from there depends on how well you respond to them, how quickly you recover, and what type of fitness you're chasing. In prep for road races, I've personally worked up to 8-10 of them in the 225-250% FTP range sprinkled throughout a 3-4hr ride where I cut them off when my power falls below 200% FTP during the closing 10 seconds, a couple times in a row.

Last edited by: chadtimmerman: Feb 24, 16 5:51
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobbie wrote:
I've had an issue the last few days in that when you launch the program on my PC, it almost immediately has to close down. On my old PC it's working fine, but that's being sold tomorrow.

I tried uninstall/reinstall a couple of days ago to no avail, but have just done it again and noticed that there is also a green banner at the top saying there is an update available. I think I installed this last time, so I'll leave it for now and see what happens. At the moment I've left it running a 3 hour session to see what happens.

Think I've finally identified the issue causing this. It seems that on one of my computers the software crashes if I try to run too many ANT sensors. Not sure why it doesn't crash on the other one as they are both running Windows 10. As I record on a Garmin 500 I've got a speed/cadence sensor and HR strap and use my P2Max. They all come up as 'devices' along with my Tacx Vortex which shows as 2/3 sensors. If I just disconnect the Tacx Vortex 'Power Meter' then no more crashes.

Anyone else had this issue?

Many thanks to Evan Cohen at TR who has continued to try to get this resolved. I at least seem to have a practical workaround now :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chadtimmerman wrote:

Please, please. Can you reply with a quote of the question? It makes it difficult to follow along when we have to read the answer and then look for the question, especially when it's on another page.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ols wrote:
Very happy with trainerroad and have a quick question on getting a "medal" for a new personal record for a given time interval... is there a way to see what the previous record was for that specific time interval?
I recently reset all my personal records (since trying out doing every workout in aero this year) so the medals are popping up more frequently than they used to when I had all my PR's from last year that included riding road bike sessions as well. Thanks for any thoughts.

No, not right now, although we plan on adding that back in.

We actually changed it about two years ago because people weren't really using it...but now it's a highly requested feature...go figure!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would upgrade to our latest redesigned app. You can get it at http://www.trainerroad.com/download.

That should fix any Kickr issue you have :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Guys, on the last podcast, one of you mentioned that there was an article in Bella News (think this is wrong) about training low, racing high. I'd like to read that article, but can't seem to find it. Can one of you point me in the direction of the article you're referring to?

Also, did you say that you could just walk into an imaging center for a DEXA report?

last...you all typically like AirKing fans and Cuore for cycling shorts, right? And one of you liked another of you liked some other brand. And what were the socks?

I sent a message to Coach Chad about the low high stuff. He will respond.

I made an appointment at an imaging center for the DEXA report. I didn't need a prescription. I want to say though...I didn't have my feet in the scan! I was too tall and the lady pushed me down and my feet didn't end up getting scanned. My I bet they attributed my "feet weight" to fat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Yes, we like AirKing and Cuore. Swiftwick for socks. Coach Chad likes the high end Jackroo jerseys.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Last edited by: Nate Pearson: Feb 29, 16 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
viperlogic wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
viperlogic wrote:
Ni Nate

Hey Viper,

Hi Nate

Thanks

We're deep into OSX development now, but it's still a bit of a ways off. For now, I would shift into a smaller gear during your recovery periods. Sorry :(.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next