Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
chadtimmerman wrote:
flynnzu wrote:
I might be noticing the same issues spotted by others. I came on here to ask the reasoning behind 4 hour rides for the Oly plan, but it appears some of the workouts were mixed up during the uploading process. If not, wouldn't mind hearing from Chad regarding such long endurance rides for Olympic distance prep.

Hi,

Many of the mix-ups have been set straight, but the long rides on the Olympic plan were fully intentional. One of our developers (who is a very competitive half-distance triathlete) asked this same question, so I'll basically cut/paste that reply. ;)

These rides are what makes the plan high volume - longer, aerobic efforts. It’s hard to jack up the volume with other forms of training since it greatly elevates the risk of burnout or injury. And 4 hours doesn’t have to be done indoors (frankly, I don’t expect anyone to do anything over 3 hours indoors, but plenty do and I applaud them), but those odd-week long rides do a lot for maintaining and improving, even at this late stage of training, fat metabolism/aerobic efficiency, slow-twitch fiber hypertrophy, race confidence regarding shorter distances/durations, and plain ol’ toughness.

So they're not about matching the exact demands of the bike leg so much as conditioning your body/muscles to handle the bike leg in a faster, stronger, more adept manner much like VO2max work or even Sweet Spot work; neither of which are directly applied during competition.

I'll also add what we commonly tell athletes in reference to those longer, steady-state aerobic rides which is that they often amount to 1.3-1.7x the amount of work you'd otherwise get done outdoors. So we average this range to 1.5x for ease of use and remind riders that, for example, a 3-hour ride done on the unrelenting, no tailwinds or downhills, no traffic lights or road undulations almost uphill all the time nature of riding a trainer is more like 4-4.5 hours were you to ride outdoors with all of the aforementioned distractions and training stress interruptions.

So if you really don't want to ride indoors for 4 hours - and I can't say I blame you - log the same time, or even more, outdoors doing your best to keep your work steady throughout. And if your training schedule simply won't accommodate rides this long, trim them to whatever works for you. There's still plenty of benefit in a 2- or 3-hour aerobic endurance ride.

Hi Chad,

Thoroughly enjoying the new plans!! I was having a discussion on another thread about IF and target wattage for these long trainer rides... I routinely do the 4 hour+ rides indoors and was wondering why the IF on these rides were fairly low @ 0.67 (for example, "Longfellow" which I did a few weeks ago)?

I had not given much thought to this before, but some posters were commenting that you would want to be on the upper edge of zone 2, i.e. 0.75 for the ride to be more effective. Did you purposely lower the IF because the ride is indoors and you have the ~1.5x multiplier, or maybe because watts are usually lower indoors?

Also, I am doing the High Volume Full Tri Base Plan right now, and looking at the HV Full Tri Specialty Plan I see indoor rides of 6 hours!! Has anyone actually ever completed the "Bandeira" workout (doesn't look like it from the ride feed)? Even if I'm looking to podium at WTC races is this duration necessary? I don't mind plopping down on the trainer for that long but even a conservative estimate of 5 hours @ 1.3x would be equivalent to a 6.5 hour outdoor ride which is probably more than most seasoned pros do?

Thanks!!

Glad you're digging the tri plans! And yes, that IF is intentional inasmuch as I was shooting for a specific duration + TSS value, and one that progressed appropriately every couple of weeks.

There's no reason you can't elevate the Workout Intensity toward the middle or higher end of the Endurance range (56-75%) but, as you pointed out, the stress from riding a trainer is very steady, inarguably more challenging at a muscle-stress level, and may take a greater toll, i.e. require more recovery between workouts or leave you more fatigued if you don't work in a little extra recovery.

It's true that the mid- & upper end of that aerobic power level can be more productive in terms of aerobic adaptation, not to mention it's closer to where you'll race as a percentage of FTP, but there's still a high level of adaptation at a lower level when it's dragged out over those longer, multi-hour rides. Which brings me to...

6 hours!? I know, crazy. But some riders will be on the bike for that long and longer during an ultra-distance triathlon, hence the option to simulate that duration indoors. I'm not saying it's necessary, and I'm not surprised that no one has done that new workout yet (ever?), but the option has been presented and it's up to each rider to use it or, in my recommendation, do those longer efforts outdoors whenever possible.

The goals are to familiarize yourself with working for durations similar to your expected race duration (and all that goes with it, mental stress, nutrition on the bike, position-related comfort/discomfort, etc) and to achieve slow-twitch fiber fatigue - all things that won't require 6 hours in the saddle for most riders.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this trainer-multiplier effect is intriguing. Any studies done on this or is it just estimating? The trainer seems to play tricks on me sometimes... some rides tend to be way harder than they should be, but I was just assuming it was psychological.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
So this trainer-multiplier effect is intriguing. Any studies done on this or is it just estimating? The trainer seems to play tricks on me sometimes... some rides tend to be way harder than they should be, but I was just assuming it was psychological.

No formal studies that I know of, but plenty of experienced indoor riders contributed to my estimation, e.g. Hunter Allen, Bill Black and a couple others that put the estimate in the same range.

I just equate it to steady climbing vs more varied riding on flatter or even rolling rides where the stress bounces from easy to moderate to easy to hard to... (you get the idea) all the way to on/off where you're pedaling and then coasting. Review a handful of outdoor ride files and you'll quickly notice that even rides that seem very steady in nature aren't as steady as you might think. But compare them to steady climbs or trainer rides and that variability dwindles quite a bit.

And we're with ya on that. Just the other day, our videographer/masters racer Dave Christiansen echoed my sentiments when he said that even races don't seem as hard as they used to when compared to some of the workouts he's done on the trainer. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chad. Follow up question - is there anyway to tack on say 30 minutes of aerobic type riding to the two shorter rides in the week (Oly High Volume) and cut out about an hour of the weekend rides? I realize it might not be a dollar for dollar exchange, but seems like the weekly TSS would come out close. My thought would be to do Free Ride 30 in the aerobic zone before doing the Tuesday/Thursday rides. I would have to do it before the intervals because once I am done with the intervals - I am done! Assuming I could still hold power for my intervals, would this make any sense?

It's not necessarily the dread of spending long rides on the trainer (that's there as well of course), it's more of a scheduling issue. I would have to be up at 4 am to get in a 4 hour ride. 5 am, while still too early on a Saturday, still sounds much better than 4.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Thanks Chad. Follow up question - is there anyway to tack on say 30 minutes of aerobic type riding to the two shorter rides in the week (Oly High Volume) and cut out about an hour of the weekend rides? I realize it might not be a dollar for dollar exchange, but seems like the weekly TSS would come out close. My thought would be to do Free Ride 30 in the aerobic zone before doing the Tuesday/Thursday rides. I would have to do it before the intervals because once I am done with the intervals - I am done! Assuming I could still hold power for my intervals, would this make any sense?

It's not necessarily the dread of spending long rides on the trainer (that's there as well of course), it's more of a scheduling issue. I would have to be up at 4 am to get in a 4 hour ride. 5 am, while still too early on a Saturday, still sounds much better than 4.

Nothing wrong with shaping your training to fit your schedule, especially when it's a minor modification like this one. The intent(s) of those longer rides won't be as sorely missed when you trim a 5-hour ride to a 4-hour ride, at least not to the same extent a 5-interval VO2max workout would suffer the loss of one of those 5, precious intervals.

And you're even tacking the missed endurance work onto another workout in such a way that it will probably benefit the quality of that workout with that warmup extension. While it will have a different impact as a warmup than it would have as the fifth hour in a 5-hour ride, you'll still get some aerobic benefit when you chop it up and move it elsewhere.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Question for the coach :
I plan to spend my holidays in the alps of France for 3 weeks this august like I did for the last four years.
User of Trainerroad on my Kickr since last year, I was much more confortable on the long climbs but
I want to be better this year. I plan to ride a lot as i'm staying at Val d'Isère.

my question is :
what type of speciality plan should I do for the 8 weeks before these 3 weeks to be in good shape for rides up to
100km and lot of climbing ?

Thanks in advance !
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [charlot12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlot12 wrote:
Hi,

Question for the coach :
I plan to spend my holidays in the alps of France for 3 weeks this august like I did for the last four years.
User of Trainerroad on my Kickr since last year, I was much more confortable on the long climbs but
I want to be better this year. I plan to ride a lot as i'm staying at Val d'Isère.

my question is :
what type of speciality plan should I do for the 8 weeks before these 3 weeks to be in good shape for rides up to
100km and lot of climbing ?

Thanks in advance !

You can go a couple of ways with your approach, charlot: Climbing Road Race or 40k TT. Choose the CRR plan if you plan to ride aggressively and maybe even "play" a bit with other riders, and choose the 40k TT if you're more interested in higher, smoother sustained power that gets you to the top of each climb a little quicker than in previous years and doesn't exact that heavier toll that comes with intermittent, explosive efforts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chadtimmerman wrote:

Glad you're digging the tri plans! And yes, that IF is intentional inasmuch as I was shooting for a specific duration + TSS value, and one that progressed appropriately every couple of weeks.

There's no reason you can't elevate the Workout Intensity toward the middle or higher end of the Endurance range (56-75%) but, as you pointed out, the stress from riding a trainer is very steady, inarguably more challenging at a muscle-stress level, and may take a greater toll, i.e. require more recovery between workouts or leave you more fatigued if you don't work in a little extra recovery.

It's true that the mid- & upper end of that aerobic power level can be more productive in terms of aerobic adaptation, not to mention it's closer to where you'll race as a percentage of FTP, but there's still a high level of adaptation at a lower level when it's dragged out over those longer, multi-hour rides. Which brings me to...

6 hours!? I know, crazy. But some riders will be on the bike for that long and longer during an ultra-distance triathlon, hence the option to simulate that duration indoors. I'm not saying it's necessary, and I'm not surprised that no one has done that new workout yet (ever?), but the option has been presented and it's up to each rider to use it or, in my recommendation, do those longer efforts outdoors whenever possible.

The goals are to familiarize yourself with working for durations similar to your expected race duration (and all that goes with it, mental stress, nutrition on the bike, position-related comfort/discomfort, etc) and to achieve slow-twitch fiber fatigue - all things that won't require 6 hours in the saddle for most riders.

Hey Chad, never thanked you for the explanation here. I rode Putuo (4:15) last Tuesday and upped the intensity to 104% which got me to a final IF of 0.7 and a TSS value of 201, and I felt fine at the end, so I might continue to elevate the workout IF by ~5% depending on how I feel. I'm going to retest next week and hopefully that should add some intensity during my IM build.

In terms of that "trainer multiplier", does that apply to just the duration, or is it a multiplier for TSS as well? If I show 200 TSS on a trainer ride would that be similar to a 250-300 TSS outdoor ride?

In terms of the LONGEST ride... I might cap it at 5 hours (if I can't go outside) but increase the IF as needed. It seems crazy but due to travel on the weekends I can only usually do these long rides on weekday mornings. Getting up at 4 am is fine to be to work by 9:30.. but 3 is pushing it.

Thanks again for replying in this thread, one of the best "hidden" benefits of TR IMO.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
chadtimmerman wrote:

Hey Chad, never thanked you for the explanation here. I rode Putuo (4:15) last Tuesday and upped the intensity to 104% which got me to a final IF of 0.7 and a TSS value of 201, and I felt fine at the end, so I might continue to elevate the workout IF by ~5% depending on how I feel. I'm going to retest next week and hopefully that should add some intensity during my IM build.

In terms of that "trainer multiplier", does that apply to just the duration, or is it a multiplier for TSS as well? If I show 200 TSS on a trainer ride would that be similar to a 250-300 TSS outdoor ride?

In terms of the LONGEST ride... I might cap it at 5 hours (if I can't go outside) but increase the IF as needed. It seems crazy but due to travel on the weekends I can only usually do these long rides on weekday mornings. Getting up at 4 am is fine to be to work by 9:30.. but 3 is pushing it.

Thanks again for replying in this thread, one of the best "hidden" benefits of TR IMO.

Very welcome! The multiplier won't apply to TSS, but indoor rides will rack up TSS at a faster rate due to the very lack of work interruption that merits the "outdoor vs indoor multiplier".

And keep up the great work. I'll always be deeply impressed by riders who can gut out those hours upon hours indoors - amazing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that's what i tought I'll choose the 40k TT. I was already passing people on e-bike last year :)
I'm in sprint triathlon plan actually and I see some good gain in sustained power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chad. Thanks for the time both here and on the podcast.
I am going to be traveling for two weeks in the middle of the full triathlon build low volume plan. I will follow your advice and resume the plan upon my return by repeating the previous two weeks before continuing. However, I am wondering if there is anything of value that I can do on a gym spin bike during my travel? Some long 2-3 hour aerobic rides? Try to simulate some of the interval workouts with perceived effort instead of power? What wouldn't be a waste of time?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [martyhogan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martyhogan wrote:
Hi Chad. Thanks for the time both here and on the podcast.
I am going to be traveling for two weeks in the middle of the full triathlon build low volume plan. I will follow your advice and resume the plan upon my return by repeating the previous two weeks before continuing. However, I am wondering if there is anything of value that I can do on a gym spin bike during my travel? Some long 2-3 hour aerobic rides? Try to simulate some of the interval workouts with perceived effort instead of power? What wouldn't be a waste of time?

Very welcome, Marty. And both of your suggestions are worthwhile with the usual caveats: 1 - spin bikes with heavy flywheels generate a lot of inertia and won't be quite like a trainer or riding outdoors and 2 - your perceived effort can be misleading but improves with more exposure to power data and your ability to relate RPE to power & vice versa. But these are only short-term fixes so neither of these points merit much concern. Enjoy your vacation!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad,

Just finished up the Oly base high volume program. I have a duathlon this coming Sunday followed by a half marathon the following weekend. My thought was to do week 4 from the Oly Base High Volume the next two weeks before jumping into Oly high volume build after the half marathon. Does that make any sense or should I go ahead and push into the build? I don't currently have an A race I am targeting, just using the Oly base/build/specialty program to get back in shape and in anticipation of filling in my race calendar here in the next month or so when I can then figure out my target A race to count back from.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Chad,

Just finished up the Oly base high volume program. I have a duathlon this coming Sunday followed by a half marathon the following weekend. My thought was to do week 4 from the Oly Base High Volume the next two weeks before jumping into Oly high volume build after the half marathon. Does that make any sense or should I go ahead and push into the build? I don't currently have an A race I am targeting, just using the Oly base/build/specialty program to get back in shape and in anticipation of filling in my race calendar here in the next month or so when I can then figure out my target A race to count back from.

If you want to do well, I'd recommend sticking with your plan of effectively peaking in the short term with that Week 4 repeat.

I'd say train through it by starting your Build right now if you were working toward a specific A-event and need to keep your schedule on track, but it sounds like you have the freedom to treat this race as an important one and gain a little bit of freshness over the next 2 weeks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Chad (or anyone)

I have 14 weeks until my "A" Full IM but now just finishing the 12 week high volume base plan So I need to cut out 2 weeks in the Build/Specialty phase somewhere (as combined those are 16 weeks). Any suggestions? I was thinking of cutting out weeks 3 and 4 of the Build Phase.

Thanks.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Chad, but on the "Ask a Cycling Coach" podcast, Chad and the gang have pretty much universally advocated trimming time out of the specialty part of the plan. The build is where you gain your fitness and the specialty is where you sharpen it. Better to miss some of the final fine tuning than the fitness building.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Hey Chad (or anyone)

I have 14 weeks until my "A" Full IM but now just finishing the 12 week high volume base plan So I need to cut out 2 weeks in the Build/Specialty phase somewhere (as combined those are 16 weeks). Any suggestions? I was thinking of cutting out weeks 3 and 4 of the Build Phase.

Thanks.

Yep, Marty nailed it. Usually, steady-state athletes gain the most fitness from the Build phase and then tailor that fitness a bit more specifically to their event during their Specialty training, so skimping on the establishment of higher, sustainable power (i.e. build conditioning) isn't advised.

As far as what to cut out of that Specialty phase, you can simply advance your taper to weeks 5 & 6 if you want the full 2 weeks - and with a full-distance tri, that's probably best since you have a greater volume of training to rebound from - or advance a 1-week taper to week 6. Which week you'll choose in the latter case will depend on how much fatigue you carry out of week 4's recovery structure: week 7 if you feel pretty good, week 8 if you feel a bit sluggish.

But again, lots of conditioning and the associated fatigue like that which comes with a high-volume approach, takes a fair amount of time to dissipate such that your fitness is on full display. And very little fitness will be lost over the course of that 2 weeks, so I highly recommend erring on the more cautious side of things and using the longer taper, even on the heels of a recovery week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chad, thanks Marty, great stuff. I should probably start listening to your podcasts (traveling this afternoon, so will try today!)

I usually perform better on shorter tapers, but I will play by ear as I get closer (and will try to use CTL and TSB as guides as well)

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi-

Using a modified version of the SS base (mid volume), where the Sunday endurance ride is outside, and I've been gradually increasing the time. The kicker is that it's not zone 2 riding due to condition--I'm climbing at over FTP (longer climbs where I live are a mile or so). As the weather is getting nicer, I'm using Saturday for a hard 90 minutes (IF of .87 or so), and Sunday for a longer ride (currently 2.5 hrs, looking to build to 4 hrs) usually about .85 or so. The weekends send the TSB down to -30, which is a lot more than the plan would, but adding another day of rest on Friday (for now).

Will that mess up the adaptations that are supposed to occur by getting so far out of those zones? I figure eventually my fitness will catch up so that I can have an "endurance" ride given the nearby terrain, but I'm curious as to whether I'm slowing down my aerobic development by doing so.

Thanks!

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rumpole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got P1 pedals and will be using real life power moving forward. I found out I don't need to pair my cadence sensor because the pedals will give me that info.

What I'm wondering is...do I still use my speed sensor? I watched a video on TR.com about setting everything up and it seems to suggest only using the power meter and it will provide speed info. I did that this morning and didn't get any speed or distance info from just the power pedals.

Can I pair both the power pedals and speed sensor without messing up any of the data?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Just got P1 pedals and will be using real life power moving forward. I found out I don't need to pair my cadence sensor because the pedals will give me that info.

What I'm wondering is...do I still use my speed sensor? I watched a video on TR.com about setting everything up and it seems to suggest only using the power meter and it will provide speed info. I did that this morning and didn't get any speed or distance info from just the power pedals.

Can I pair both the power pedals and speed sensor without messing up any of the data?

Yes. I use a C1 (no speed data) for cadence/power and the speed sensor to help track "mileage". Just be sure that the power reading is coming from the PM and not virtual power.

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have almost the same question as few posts earlier :
Only have 12 weeks to train for my 3 weeks trip in French Alps so should I do the 8 weeks of Sustained power build then only 4 weeks of 40kTT Speciality or the other way ? And in any case, wich 4 weeks, first ones or second ?

Thanks in advance

Charles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rumpole wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

Yes. I use a C1 (no speed data) for cadence/power and the speed sensor to help track "mileage". Just be sure that the power reading is coming from the PM and not virtual power.

Awesome, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Chad,

Thanks for the programs and the great work on Trainerroad. Any suggestions for us Xterra crew? Any insights or modifications to your plans are appreciated.

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chad,

I am doing your full triathlon mid volume plan. I am following the bike workouts but doing my own swim and run workouts.
Currently I am in week 10 of the base mid volume and I was looking ahead into the build mid volume and specialty and I have a few concerns and was wondering if you could clarify.

In the base plan, weeks 9,10, 11 are 483,442, 511 TSS respectively where as the highest TSS in the mid volume build is 474 with most of the weeks being in the upper 300's and low 400's.

Furthermore the base is a Tue - VO2max, Thu-high tempo, Fri-sweet spot, and Sat-long format. In the build, Tue stays VO2max, Thur becomes over/under's, but the Fri workout becomes a recovery and saturday stays long. It just seems to me that the base is tougher than the build or the specialty. I am really liking the tough base plan right now and don't want to decondition over the build and specialty phase.

Can you please explain why the build seems easier (especially the Fri workouts) than the base and if this is intentional?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next