Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Murph333] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murph, I have been debating the same thing. I have been using power on a tacx Vortex. I have my P1's getting delivered to my house on Saturday.

luckily the time works pretty well for me as I am just finishing week 2 of the Sustained power build and week 4 has a programmed FTP test. but between now and then I plan to keep tabs on the difference between the two powers so that I have a frame of reference when I go to retest and adjust things to use the P1 power instead of the vortex.

my other thought was to do a ride and hold FTP as stated by the vortex and take note of what the power was on my P1's and then just adjust from there. I dont think it makes a big difference which way you go, the consistency is whats important
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
viperlogic wrote:
Ni Nate

I'm currently using TR 2.7.5 on MAC OSX, with Tacx Vortex on latest fw and Garmin Vector 2S. I'm using the PowerMatch function but getting big resistance spikes during workouts eg during a recovery segment of 135w the resistance is huge that 135w is impossible unless going into 1st gear, same at the other end, where segment is 310w the resistance is so high that you are hitting 400w+ to even get the pedals to turn, but then other parts of the workout are fine for same recovery and interval! I see others reporting same. Is there a tweak/fix to the algorithm going to be released soon?

Hey Viper,

We found out what is causing this bug. You're probably hitting your power "floor" of your trainer because of the gearing you're in during your rest periods.

What that means is at the speed that you're going during the rest intervals the Tacx can never lower resistance enough so that you hit your target. Then, if you have power match on we keep trying to lower the target all the way down until we hit a negative number. Then, if you know how ones and zeros work with computers, that negative number actually gets read as a gigantic number by the Tacx and it slams the brake on full.

There's two ways to fix this, one of them by you, and one of them by us. The quick and easy fix is for you to go into a smaller gear during your rest intervals so that you can hit that lower power target.

The fix for us requires a bit of coding and logic around these power floors.

Sorry about this, but for now our guidance is to switch to an easier gears during rest intervals.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Murph333] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murph333 wrote:
First off I want to say thanks for the awesome product, the program itself, the great support and the podcast. All of those has helped me.

Very simple question, I have been following a plan using virtual power, (I think there might be an issue with my trainer, power numbers are way too low, but who cares what the number is as long as its consistent for training)

Now I have been lucky enough to be able to get a powermeter, so should I do a new ftp test asap and then adjust from there, or keep doing my planned workouts and monitor what the power is and compare it what the real power numbers are and retest when I can.

thanks,

Yes, 100%. Do a new FTP test and just go from there. Congrats on the power meter :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out my post a few posts back. You basically have to shift into an easier gear during the rest intervals until we put some guards around this in our code.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,
1. Mac OS update timing?
2. Timing of Inride v2.0 support for Kurt Kinetic

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the reply but that was one of the suggestions then and didn't work. At least not for me. Like I said not a big deal as having TR control the PB works great. The watts are consistent and only off a few watts compared to my Quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate

Thanks for the reply. For recovery segments I already drop to the small cog on the front. At present I don't use smoothing, would 3 sec smoothing help?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, I was riding Rafferty this morning and I got 45 minutes into the 3:45 workout and had to stop to watch the kid for about 2 hours. When I came back to the workout and started pedaling it started just fine and then at about 46 minutes it stopped the ride and exited the program. Frustrating since I am limited to working out while the baby sleeps. I tried to restart the ride and fast forward to where it stopped but it appears this isn't an option so I settled for a 30 minute run/Sufferfest Extra Shot brick. What do you think caused this? I have broke these workouts into segments before without issues. The computer is plugged into the tv so there is no way it was accidentally hit or nothing dropped on it.

Thanks

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have random problems connecting any+ devices? Especially the kickr. I'll have zero issues connecting for a week and then it will say that the usb device is not connected and won't register any of my devices.

I also can't calibrate my kickr
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
Nate,
1. Mac OS update timing?

Thanks

We're working on OSX right now. We've got login working and syncing of workouts.

inRide 2.0 works with TrainerRoad Windows. We're working on support for iOS right now. Once OSX revamp launches it will supported on that platform on day 1.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don' think smoothing will help. Hmm...I think our long term fixes should help you.

Windows has a fix in it now for the spike and we're going to have it fixed in iOS in the next couple weeks.

Sorry about that.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
Nate, I was riding Rafferty this morning and I got 45 minutes into the 3:45 workout and had to stop to watch the kid for about 2 hours. When I came back to the workout and started pedaling it started just fine and then at about 46 minutes it stopped the ride and exited the program. Frustrating since I am limited to working out while the baby sleeps. I tried to restart the ride and fast forward to where it stopped but it appears this isn't an option so I settled for a 30 minute run/Sufferfest Extra Shot brick. What do you think caused this? I have broke these workouts into segments before without issues. The computer is plugged into the tv so there is no way it was accidentally hit or nothing dropped on it.

Thanks

Ah man, that sucks. Could you send this to support the workout and your username? We can check the logs and see if an error was thrown. Also let them know what platform you were on.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes it can be environmental issues, but if you have a problem with TR registering your ANT USB stick the most common problem is another software like Garmin Connect taking over your ANT stick.

Only one program can control the ANT stick at a time and Garmin has some software that will take control of it at startup. So check that. You might also have Garmin controlling it from a process than is hung or TR could be hung. The best fix for that is to just unplug your stick and plug it back in. That or restarting your computer.

We've got plans to detect these scenarios and telling the OS to eject/restart the ANT stick via software. That's still a bit out while we build our OSX/Android.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your right it didn't! Tried using the offset method also and still had issues. Ps should be option of offset to be percentage also rather than just fixed number.

Please let us know when fixed for MAC OSX. Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the process of trying out TR. Love the structure of the workouts and programs, however, there's a ton of options and knowing how to assimilate everything is a bit overwhelming. Hoping I can get some suggestions from some of the more experienced users.

49 year old Former tri guy. Haven't been on a road bike outside in years and have no desire to do so except for hill repeats I do in the warmer weather. All of my road bike time is on a trainer. Outside, I'm 100% on a mountain bike. Do a couple of 6 hour races each season, and the rest of my time is riding recreationally (but usually pushing for lap times). Right now, I strength train twice/week, and am on the trainer 2-3 days/week. Come April, trainer time will cut down in favor of the trails.

I did my 20 min FTP test on TR and am basically wondering what my best use is going forward. Just pick random workouts? Sweet Spot base training, to power build, to off road specialty programs? Go straight to off road program? I'm sure I'm overthinking this and can easily find 3-4 workouts and just rotate them, but would like to give this a fair shot at getting the most from it so figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Skewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to have coach chad reply directly to you, but you should start a training plan. He's in a training camp this weekend but I bet he'll be able to respond Monday.

We're working on downloading Coach Chad's brain and having a training plan wizard to help pick training blocks and build them into a complete plan.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like that would be super helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Skewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I'd recommend starting off with Sweet Spot Base I & II, probably low volume since you're new to structured training. At the end of the first 6 weeks (perhaps sooner), you can decide if you want to jump up to a higher volume plan, but it sounds like you have a solid endurance MTB ride already figured into your weeks which, altogether, could very well be a proper balance for you considering the 3 interval workouts you'll see during each of the SSB I weeks.

During SSB II, you can make that additional workout easy time on the trainer or head outdoors if you want another day on the trails depending on your ultimate season goals/direction.

Post-base training, the Build & Specialty will depend of your goals for the season whether they're multisport, MTB or road. Best of luck!

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any workouts or training programs you would recommend for someone that has 3-4 minute intervals along with some on/off 30/40 sec bursts?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. If you search on "Billats" or "microbursts" from our Workouts page, you'll find a whole variety of workouts that will likely work for the 30/40-second bursts. As far as 3 to 4-minute, kinda the same deal. Just search on "3-minute" or "4-minute" and you'll see a bunch of options.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
Nate,
1. Mac OS update timing?

Thanks

We're working on OSX right now. We've got login working and syncing of workouts.

I hope this includes the momentary usb stick drop outs i've been experiencing. Hurts, man. :(

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
Nate,
1. Mac OS update timing?

Thanks

I hope this includes the momentary usb stick drop outs i've been experiencing. Hurts, man. :(

Nate, your assessment is correct. I'm on MacOS and have in-ride on one of the setups i train on. So i'm looking for 1 and 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Coach Chad,

I had so much fun with the sweet-spot base plans that I got carried away and forgot to check the calendar and figure out when to start HIM plans for my spring race!

I have a HIM on 5/14 which is 13 weeks from this coming weekend. Should I start the HIM build next week, then do an abbreviated HIM specialty with my last 5 weeks? Or should I start the last 5 weeks of HIM base next week, and do the 8 weeks of HIM build right up to race day? Or some other combination?

I have a few halfs and fills under my belt and trained consistently through the winter, so I'm not too concerned about my base fitness, if that helps

Thanks!
Patrick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,

Any chance you could have a quick look at my girlfriends TR issue she is having at the mo?

The power figures coming virtually from her Tacx Sitori seem very strange and even when I jump on her bike it's hard to get any proper power going through. We have compared speed and cadence figures and these figures look correct but the power coming out of the software is super low.

Last week it seemed fine....

Her trainerroad ID is emmajhoughton if that helps?

Thanks. We love the programme and working out properly together.

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply

Prev Next