Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [tballco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont forget Peopleware and Joel on Software too! Oh and Code Complete for good measure :)

Ha this thread combines my main loves of triathlon, OCD structured training, software development and software project management
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WiScott wrote:
Hi Nate,

Brand new TR user here so forgive the "basic" question. On an iPad, am I able to shrink the TR display and watch YouTube or an internet browser, or is this not possible on a tablet?

Thanks,

Scott

No, there's not a way to do that on the iPad :(.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [tballco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tballco wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

I wish I had about 15 more engineers; I could get all of this stuff out in parallel.

Worth a read when you come up for air :-)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mythical-Man-Month-Engineering-Anniversary/dp/0201835959

Man I'm old. Amazon told me I bought that timeless classic in 1997!

I agree with that and we talk about the Mythical Man Month a lot here.

One difference is the engineers would be spread between different platforms. But I agree with the premise of the book. If we just threw 20 engineers on something like CompuTrainer support it wouldn't get done any faster if only two engineers did it. It might actually go slower.

Not getting into the weeds too much, but our goal is to build teams of 6 engineers and two designers to implement features throughout the platforms. We feel that size gets our maximum bang for our buck in terms of "mythical man month".

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate

when will TR be able to track distance rode accurately?

last week i did one workout for 75 minutes and rode 61 km (I wish). this morning, i did a 60 minute workout and rode 19 km (I'm not that slow)

I know power is more important measure but I like to keep of my mileage every year

thx
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ptakeda wrote:
Hi Nate

last week i did one workout for 75 minutes and rode 61 km (I wish). this morning, i did a 60 minute workout and rode 19 km (I'm not that slow)

I know power is more important measure but I like to keep of my mileage every year

thx

It tracks it now, but if you're on something like a Kickr in ERG mode it's going to just report how many times your rear wheel spins, so it will depend on your gearing.

For example, you could do the entire workout in 53/11 in ERG mode, or you could do it in 34/28. Your reported speed/distance will be much different.

In general there's not a good relationship between indoor speed/distance vs outdoor speed/distance.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
ptakeda wrote:
Hi Nate

thx

It tracks it now, but if you're on something like a Kickr in ERG mode it's going to just report how many times your rear wheel spins, so it will depend on your gearing.

For example, you could do the entire workout in 53/11 in ERG mode, or you could do it in 34/28. Your reported speed/distance will be much different.

In general there's not a good relationship between indoor speed/distance vs outdoor speed/distance.

That's exactly what i did. Used completely different gearing for the two rides on Kickr

what gearing would remotely accurate to outside riding?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's hard to answer because speed with be a combination of wattage - aero drag - rolling resistance - gravity.

I've always wanted to make "VirtualSpeed". That's where we take your wattage and apply a physics model to it to estimate what your outdoor speed/wattage would be. I've been thinking about that for about three years now and it just hasn't been high enough of a priority for us to implement.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
tballco wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

I wish I had about 15 more engineers; I could get all of this stuff out in parallel.

Worth a read when you come up for air :-)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mythical-Man-Month-Engineering-Anniversary/dp/0201835959

Man I'm old. Amazon told me I bought that timeless classic in 1997!

I agree with that and we talk about the Mythical Man Month a lot here.

One difference is the engineers would be spread between different platforms. But I agree with the premise of the book. If we just threw 20 engineers on something like CompuTrainer support it wouldn't get done any faster if only two engineers did it. It might actually go slower.

Not getting into the weeds too much, but our goal is to build teams of 6 engineers and two designers to implement features throughout the platforms. We feel that size gets our maximum bang for our buck in terms of "mythical man month".

Sounds like you're using Agile Scrum. Does one of the designers act as the Product Owner on the team?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Tracker09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We follow the pillars of scrum, but aren't strict on every detail of scrum. We have weekly sprints and stick to those sprints and also focus on constant improvement.

We're not big enough to have multiple dev/designer teams yet.

Right now, I act as product owner for all things TR.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate, a quick question about the Tacx Vortex Smart.

I've recently updated the firmware on my Tacx, and jumped on yesterday to do a ride on a custom workout of mine -https://www.trainerroad.com/...69015-45min-Co-ord-2 here if you want to take a look. So this was a pretty easy ride and the focus was on cadence more so than power etc, and so the targets levels were set quite low.

The first 5 minutes is an easy spin warm up, but what kept happening is that the trainer would be on nice easy resistance, then suddenly the resistance would ramp up quite high, you'll see from the spikes in power on the workout exactly what I mean. Is this a known issue with the Tacx Vortex, or do I need to update the TR software on my MacBook as well - I normally use my iPad but my daughter had run the battery out!! Thanks Rob

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:

I've recently updated the firmware on my Tacx, and jumped on yesterday to do a ride on a custom workout of mine -https://www.trainerroad.com/...69015-45min-Co-ord-2 here if you want to take a look. So this was a pretty easy ride and the focus was on cadence more so than power etc, and so the targets levels were set quite low.

The first 5 minutes is an easy spin warm up, but what kept happening is that the trainer would be on nice easy resistance, then suddenly the resistance would ramp up quite high, you'll see from the spikes in power on the workout exactly what I mean. Is this a known issue with the Tacx Vortex, or do I need to update the TR software on my MacBook as well - I normally use my iPad but my daughter had run the battery out!! Thanks Rob

Wow, that's crazy. There are so many spikes that it looks like you're doing a workout! But wait, it looks like those spikes correspond with high cadence. Could it be possible that your high cadence is causing those spikes?

Could you point me to an exact point in your workout where the cadence was high? I'll have someone check those logs.'

I haven't heard there being a problem on the TR side or the Tacx side. New firmware always makes me question if something could have been messed up.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Last edited by: Nate Pearson: Dec 21, 15 16:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
BayDad wrote:

Wow, that's crazy. There are so many spikes that it looks like you're doing a workout! But wait, it looks like those spikes correspond with high cadence. Could it be possible that your high cadence is causing those spikes?

Could you point me to an exact point in your workout where the cadence was high? I'll have someone check those logs.'

I haven't heard there being a problem on the TR side or the Tacx side. New firmware always makes me question if something could have been messed up.
The spikes in power were really only in the first 5 minutes, the rest of the time was when I was doing cadence work and had changed the setting from ERG to resistance. You'll see that at about the 3 minute mark my cadence flattens out to around 90 give or take, but at for instance the 1:48 mark, power spikes up to around 280 and cadence is 37 so that will be exactly where the power on the Tacx Vortex ramped right up.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this issue also on my Bushido smart and have been working with couple support folks on your end (they've been great by the way) but no resolution yet. I had the issue before most recent firmware upgrade and still have it after.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [vabchtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I create a workout, can I make the intervals "free ride", so automatically take trainer out of ERG mode, similar to FTP test work out? If so how?
I use a computrainer, not sure if that matters or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
When I create a workout, can I make the intervals "free ride", so automatically take trainer out of ERG mode, similar to FTP test work out? If so how?

No, we don't have a way to do that :(.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Looks like someone else had it with Tacx too. I just asked support if they know anything more. We'll reach out to Tacx too and see what they have to say.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
CJAC wrote:

No, we don't have a way to do that :(.

Bummer, is there a way to just take the trainer out of ERG mode temporarily?
When I do multiple intervals, I like to do last one out of ERG, that way I can either push a little extra, or see if I pushed to hard earlier.

Any other slick way to do that?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yah! On the current desktop app you can push "m" or change the mode on the bottom of the screen. It should say "erg" by default.

The new desktop beta is just like the current desktop, except we don't have hotkeys enabled yet (no "m" to switch).

In the iOS app you can touch your devices and switch the mode.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When do you expect the triathlon specific build plans to be available?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else out there having issues with using Windows 10 along with a Computrainer (CT) and Trainer Road (TR) ? I downloaded TR Beta and it wouldn't recognize my CT, so I went back to use the old TR and it won't work either. I got TR and my CT to work on my work computer (Windows 7). This tells me that is not my CT and has something to do with Window 10 and TR. Customer support at TR has provided some suggestions, but nothing that fixes the problem.

Matthew

http://mattpatt75.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bigsur28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigsur28 wrote:
When do you expect the triathlon specific build plans to be available?

Our goal is to have them out next week.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mattpatt75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattpatt75 wrote:
Anyone else out there having issues with using Windows 10 along with a Computrainer (CT) and Trainer Road (TR) ? I downloaded TR Beta and it wouldn't recognize my CT, so I went back to use the old TR and it won't work either. I got TR and my CT to work on my work computer (Windows 7). This tells me that is not my CT and has something to do with Window 10 and TR. Customer support at TR has provided some suggestions, but nothing that fixes the problem.

Did you download and install the FTDI driver in W10?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mattpatt75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattpatt75 wrote:

Here's a link to the drivers: http://support.trainerroad.com/...1376994-Computrainer

That's most likely the issue. Another issue could be that your handlebar unit isn't updated. It has to have a firmware greater than 43.45.

Let me know if any of that works! If not, let me know your username and we'll investigate more. Try this on the beta too.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated drivers and that did not work.

Control unit on CT needs to be updated, so I will ask Racermate to send me new chip set to do such. Not sure how that makes a bit of difference. I have a computer running Windows 7 that my CT works perfectly with...its my computer running Windows 10 that is the problem. The same computer worked until I upgraded to Windows 10. Once I did that, TR stopped working on that computer. My username is mattpatt.

Matthew

http://mattpatt75.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate,

Earlier, I used TrainerRoad just with a KICKR. I've got myself a pair of Powertap P1's on my new bike. When connected to my iPhone, both the left and right pedal show up. However, on the Mac I can only add one power meter. I don't know whether this is the left pedal, the right pedal or both combined. I prefer using TrainerRoad on the Mac, because I can see HR data using an ANT+ stick. Hopefully you can make this a bit clearer to me :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next