Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
J_R wrote:
a co-worker is selling a 16GB iPad 2. That have enough muscle in it to run you iOS app?

as mentioned yup it will, just know that if you have a smart trainer such as KICKR with ERG, all the ipad will show you once you get the correct dongle is power, it wont control the trainer and adjust resistance on the fly. ANT+ does not allow for that communication, only bluetooth does, which that ipad lacks.

I learned this lesson the hard way :(

So Ant+ can control load via PC, but not iPad?

Confirmed. Apparently its a limitation of the dongle not the spectrum itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for being receptive to ordering things. The second one would be nice but no big deal if it doesn't happen.

One other thing I'd like to see changed.

When you click on Career then scroll down it shows NP for each workout. Could you show AP & NP?

NP is nice but when I look at a workout I'd like to know what I actually did for AP.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trevor DeRuise wrote:
trismitty wrote:
Any tips for moving the long Sunday run to Wednesday? I'm trying to use the weekend to accomodate more biking on the weekends due to travel.

For Tri Base? Which Volume are you doing?

Tri base. Iron distance mid. Thx Trevor.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Brian/Desert Dude.

Nate and crew, thanks for seeking input and considering our requests. TR is really a great system. It's so good that I'm avoiding it as it's kicking my ass (but that's my fault).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trevor DeRuise wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
I'm just starting out with TR and did the 8 Minute Test tonight.
I thought it would give me an option to change my FTP from the standard 200, but it didn't. What recorded value or number should I adjust my FTP to?
Could it be since I chose HR for workout type?
It did recommend a new LTHR value.

Would you mind shooting us an email to support@trainerroad.com? We can have a support team member check it out and get you your FTP and let you know why it didn't show up.

Email sent, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully someone who has a Vortex and TrainerRoad can shed some light on something for me.
First, I am new to training with power in the last year, never have owned a power meter so I have no real perception of what a watt feel like or 500 for that matter, have been using Virtual Power on trainerRoad for about a year now with a roughly 15 year old Nashbar fluid trainer. I just got a Tacx Vortex and set it up yesterday, I calibrated it with the Tacx app and once I had it in the acceptable zone ( on the high end I might add) I then calibrated it with trainerRoad.I did my first short ride on it and all my effort levels felt cray crazy low. what should have been my FTP felt like my warm up and so on. fast forward to today I just did my first Threshold test on it and my FTP went up by almost 100 watts.
I am assuming that my old trainer, 1 was too old and TrainerRod didnt have a real powercurve for it, 2 that I had set it up with the resitence being way way high (the resistence unit was always as tight as I could get the nut) or 3 a combination.
I am concerned about having an inflated FTP, the other posibility is I set the Vortex up wrong, I dont think I did but maybe so , it was calibrated multiple times in the Tacx app and then trainer Road. anybody have any thoughts?

Last FTP test with 15 year old trainer: https://www.trainerroad.com/...448053-8-Minute-Test

Todays test with Vortex:https://www.trainerroad.com/...875592-8-Minute-Test

From an effort stand point todays test felt spot on, my heart rate was in the same place as last time give or take. I am nervous cause having never used a real power meter I have no frame of refference what the exertion level truly should feel like, in the end as long as the numbers are consistent who really cares I guess. just tweaking out a bit.

thanks for any input
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Trevor,

Tried to use the search function but couldnt get it working...is there anyway to import my trainerroad workouts into mapmyfitness?

Other than exporting each tcx file individually?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a Vortex, but waiting on one to be delivered right now (hopefully soon)!

If your 350W FTP and 3.86 W/kg are correct, then you should be FOP or near FOP in most races you do, especially on flat courses. If you aren't, then the calibration is likely off. There is no way to really tell if it is calibrated correctly based on the info you provided other than your performance outside or with a PM.

I also used Virtual Power for a while and switched to a PM last year - for reference, virtual power underestimated my FTP by about 20W, so a jump is not necessarily unusual.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Thanks for being receptive to ordering things. The second one would be nice but no big deal if it doesn't happen.

One other thing I'd like to see changed.

When you click on Career then scroll down it shows NP for each workout. Could you show AP & NP?

NP is nice but when I look at a workout I'd like to know what I actually did for AP.

Have you tried doing the multiple filters on the website? You could choose VO2max then filter by duration. You could also filter it to just a couple of time frames (like 60-90 minutes).

Like this:

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
Hi Trevor,

Tried to use the search function but couldnt get it working...is there anyway to import my trainerroad workouts into mapmyfitness?

Other than exporting each tcx file individually?

No, not right now :(.

I dont know if they have a mass import, but we do sync with dropbox. That could make it a bit easier to upload to mapmyfitness.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any data on either. It could be that the vortex is too high and the VP was too low.

I believe the vortex does a form of VirtualPower doing it's calculations with speed, resistance and roll down time.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So short of getting a power meter there is really no way to tell if its accurate?
the only frame of reference I have with watts is a concept 2 rower and that isnt very relate-able.
I guess in the end as long as the numbers are consistent i dont care what their values are.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
Just a small annoyance with the new app - when changing from the minimal-view to the window-view, the window isn't maximized. Still, I'm loving the new app!

I'm not sure what the issue is. Here's what I just tested:

Test 1
- Open a ride
- Start with window not maximized
- Go to minimal
- Go back to Window
State goes back to not being maximized

Test 2
- Open a ride
- Start with window maximized
- Go to minimal
- Go back to Window
State goes back to being maximized

Are you saying that in Test 1 the end result should be a maximized window? Thanks for the feedback! :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, in test 2 the window won't go back to maximized.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, the new update....if I have the workout in "minimal" mode, are the individual set/interval statistics supposed to still be visible anywhere? Or were those done away with in the new Beta/update? I haven't done a workout in 'normal' mode, only minimal, while watching netflix on the top part of the laptop.

EDIT/ADDITION: on one of the latest podcasts, Nate or Chad says he turns his kurt kinetic trainer (thought that was the model) 4-5x. I have an older KK Road machine model, and only turn it 2x. Am I not doing that enough? And if not, does it (the # of turns) impact FTP at all one way or another?

Thanks.
Last edited by: mjpwooo: Jan 7, 16 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's correct. Although to be fair power meters can differ among themselves.

As I noted earlier you can also ballpark to see if it's anywhere in range by thinking about your recent race results. For instance, 350W might be accurate if you can do the 40k in an Olympic Tri in under an hour and still run well; if you're more up around the 1:20 range, your FTP is probably not that high and the Vortex is inaccurate.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H Nate,
After 92 pages, I feel we are on a first name basis!!!!!!
I have been a long time lurker on slow twitch and finally pulled the trigger on trainerroad. Just did the FTP test and it kicked my ass. Great program.

One small piece of feedback. I am running a wired power tap that is not ant+, so I went with the new garmin speed sensor that mounts directly to the hub and separate sensor for cadence. The suggested one on your website is the old version and not readily available on Amazon.

Just a heads up to those out there that it is a royal PITA to get that sensor around a larger power powertap hub. The band is super stretchy and got on eventually. I used the non garmin ant+ stick and everything paired right away. Super easy.

Thanks for making my winter training ride more enjoyable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nate - not a big worry for me, definitely more important features in TR than syncing to MMF but I was wondering if there was an easy way to do so.

I didnt think of the DropBox way of doing it....that will definitely be easier than first exporting manually from TR and then importing into MMF - thanks for the tip.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
EDIT/ADDITION: on one of the latest podcasts, Nate or Chad says he turns his kurt kinetic trainer (thought that was the model) 4-5x. I have an older KK Road machine model, and only turn it 2x. Am I not doing that enough? And if not, does it (the # of turns) impact FTP at all one way or another?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was Nate that said he turns the roller tension knob 5X on his Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. It caught my attention because I use the same trainer and only tighten it 3x and this feels pretty tight, especially cranking on that tiny little knob. The manufacturer guidelines state 3-5 full turns after initial contact of the roller with the tyre so you could consider doing it up a bit tighter if you're experiencing any tyre slippage.

The roller tension will impact your Virtual Power (more tension = more resistance at given wheel speed) but this is only one of many factors (e.g. tyre choice, tyre pressure, ambient temp...) that will be affecting it. As everyone says, the numbers themselves don't matter too much, it's making sure that your setup is consistent between workouts so if you do change setup I'd do it just before an FTP test, so that you have accurate values for the new setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I chatted with Coach Chad a bit about this and there's no issue with swapping those two runs around - short/fast on Sunday, and long on Wednesday.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
For me, in test 2 the window won't go back to maximized.

Could you send in an email to support@trainerroad.com with this info please? Let us know what resolution you're at and what version of windows.

Thanks!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Guys, the new update....if I have the workout in "minimal" mode, are the individual set/interval statistics supposed to still be visible anywhere? Or were those done away with in the new Beta/update? I haven't done a workout in 'normal' mode, only minimal, while watching netflix on the top part of the laptop.

Thanks.

That's not there but on the list to add. We missed it and it's annoying to not have it.

If you're at 2x I would just keep it there. Consistency is king.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [eburgers69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eburgers69 wrote:
H Nate,
After 92 pages, I feel we are on a first name basis!!!!!!
I have been a long time lurker on slow twitch and finally pulled the trigger on trainerroad. Just did the FTP test and it kicked my ass. Great program.

One small piece of feedback. I am running a wired power tap that is not ant+, so I went with the new garmin speed sensor that mounts directly to the hub and separate sensor for cadence. The suggested one on your website is the old version and not readily available on Amazon.

Just a heads up to those out there that it is a royal PITA to get that sensor around a larger power powertap hub. The band is super stretchy and got on eventually. I used the non garmin ant+ stick and everything paired right away. Super easy.

Thanks for making my winter training ride more enjoyable.

Thanks for this! We're updating out site today.

We're thinking about recommending the Wahoo ANT/BT speed/cadence sensor for ANT users: http://www.amazon.com/...oo+ant+speed+cadence

For BT users the Scosche one: http://www.amazon.com/...rds=bt+speed+cadence

The Wahoo one is $60. The Scosche one is $17.

There doesn't seem to be a less expensive ANT+ only speed/cadence sensor available.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I haven't done that, didn't even see that, missed it completely. Sorry.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would be really good is if the Trainerroad Windows desktop application included an advanced spindown calibration for those of us that own Kickr's and don't have an ios device to get our Kickr's calibrated right if we're unlucky enough that the regular spindown doesn't calibrate correctly.

BTW with the Beta version I pretty much get a spindown failed message every time I try to do a spindown. It still does the spindown but you don't get the option to save the spindown results. I'm running Kickr Snap and Windows 10.
Quote Reply

Prev Next