Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [larsvanzanten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I activated the left pedal 1st connecting it to the Mac ensuring TR only "sees" the master P1, no problems. For iOS app, TR support said to only connect the left pedal. Strange but using powermatch I noticed a 20-30 watt increase when using the iOS app on both iPhone & iPad. TR displays the perscribed wattage but the garmin connected to the P1s shows the increased wattage. I just use the Mac desktop app, works great. I'm sure I'm making a mistake somewhere with the iOS app. Wahoo Kickr reads about 10 watts higher than P1s on average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for this. I am in the exact same situation. Not sure if I just paired one pedal or both. My first ride with the PowerMatch was pretty rocky (40% precision for the intervals). Maybe that is just a power smoothing option I need to activate though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
larsvanzanten wrote:
Hi Nate,

Earlier, I used TrainerRoad just with a KICKR. I've got myself a pair of Powertap P1's on my new bike. When connected to my iPhone, both the left and right pedal show up. However, on the Mac I can only add one power meter. I don't know whether this is the left pedal, the right pedal or both combined. I prefer using TrainerRoad on the Mac, because I can see HR data using an ANT+ stick. Hopefully you can make this a bit clearer to me :-)

I'm not sure what the answer is here. I'm going to send this to our Director of Support, Alex. He'll respond here.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mattpatt75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattpatt75 wrote:
Updated drivers and that did not work.

Control unit on CT needs to be updated, so I will ask Racermate to send me new chip set to do such. Not sure how that makes a bit of difference. I have a computer running Windows 7 that my CT works perfectly with...its my computer running Windows 10 that is the problem. The same computer worked until I upgraded to Windows 10. Once I did that, TR stopped working on that computer. My username is mattpatt.

Could you contact support@trainerroad.com with this?

What concerns me is that you said that it worked with Windows 7 but not with Windows 10. But, you said that the CT unit needs to be updated. If you have a version that's earlier than the one that I listed before, then yes, it will need to be updated. If it's not the case, we should dive deeper into troubleshooting.

We could dive deeper here but Dan has asked us not to do support on the ST forum.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Last edited by: Nate Pearson: Dec 27, 15 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Lars,

You bring up some great questions!

To be honest, I'm not sure of the answer to this either at the moment. I've reached out to Powertap to get some info on what's going on here.

We're also trying to get our hands on some P1 pedals for in-house testing.

I'll be sure to keep everyone here updated!

Customer Support Director at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Alex Kizis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using Trainer Roads for over a year. I am getting ready for Ironman Arizona in November. Can you suggest which TR plans I should use for the next 11 months? This will be my 2nd Ironman event and I am not sure where to start this early on. I know once race gets closer, I will use the new triathlon programs you just put out. Which base program should I use now? Do I repeat the base programs until race gets closer? Thanks for the support.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Questions along the same lines ^^^^.

I believe you said there will be Tri build plans coming out. How many weeks long are the sprint, olympic, half and full build plans, so we can slot them into our annual plans?

And, if we have some free weeks or months prior to starting the Tri base plans, should we repeat the beginning of Tri plans, or maybe do Sweet Spot base?

I know it's all specific to individuals and goals.... but it would be nice to incorporate your general advice into designing annual Tri plans. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there, so you have 44 weeks which after the 12 weeks of Full Distance Triathlon Base, 8 weeks of Full Distance Triathlon Build & 8 weeks of the Full Distance Triathlon specialty block (28 weeks total) leaves you with 16 weeks of extra time and a few options.

Option 1: You can perform the entirety of a Traditional Base plan, medium or preferably high-volume and include a couple of the 2-week extensions (4/4/4 weeks + 2 weeks + 2 weeks = 16 weeks). If you go the high-volume route, just be sure that your previous training will allow that sort of time on the bike with a low likelihood of injury. And keep in mind you're likely to see little if any FTP improvement over the earlier half of this base approach since those earlier weeks are more oriented toward shifting your fuel preference toward fat and lifting your aerobic capabilities more so than affecting your threshold power.

Option 2: You can use any of the Sweet Spot Base I & II versions for 12 weeks, take off 4 weeks prior to starting or after completing it (the latter is my recommendation) to ride simply for pleasure - no training goals in mind - or perhaps do 4 weeks of low-intensity, aerobic endurance work like you'll find in the first phase of the Trad Base plans.

Option 3: Dive right in to the Full Distance Triathlon sequence, build toward an early peak that's roughly 25-30 weeks out, then back things off for a couple weeks and jump back in with a Re-Build where you repeat the latter half of your Tri Build plan (4 weeks) before repeating your Tri Specialty block (8 weeks). You could even use this approach to build toward a different distance triathlon, but that will affect your total time since the lower-distance plans are lighter on training time due to shorter base/build blocks.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [tballco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out my recent reply and let me know if you have any further questions, but I find the Sweet Spot Base plans useful anytime I have a bit of extra time on my hands, but I also understand the need to ditch any real intensity from time to time which steers me toward on of the Trad Base blocks, usually the second or third.

As far as the Builds, they're super close and will be out soon. The Sprint is 4 weeks long, Oly is 6 weeks long, and the Half & Full Distance Triathlon Builds are each 8 weeks long.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chadtimmerman wrote:
Hey there, so you have 44 weeks which after the 12 weeks of Full Distance Triathlon Base, 8 weeks of Full Distance Triathlon Build & 8 weeks of the Full Distance Triathlon specialty block (28 weeks total) leaves you with 16 weeks of extra time and a few options.

Option 1: You can perform the entirety of a Traditional Base plan, medium or preferably high-volume and include a couple of the 2-week extensions (4/4/4 weeks + 2 weeks + 2 weeks = 16 weeks). If you go the high-volume route, just be sure that your previous training will allow that sort of time on the bike with a low likelihood of injury. And keep in mind you're likely to see little if any FTP improvement over the earlier half of this base approach since those earlier weeks are more oriented toward shifting your fuel preference toward fat and lifting your aerobic capabilities more so than affecting your threshold power.

Option 2: You can use any of the Sweet Spot Base I & II versions for 12 weeks, take off 4 weeks prior to starting or after completing it (the latter is my recommendation) to ride simply for pleasure - no training goals in mind - or perhaps do 4 weeks of low-intensity, aerobic endurance work like you'll find in the first phase of the Trad Base plans.

Option 3: Dive right in to the Full Distance Triathlon sequence, build toward an early peak that's roughly 25-30 weeks out, then back things off for a couple weeks and jump back in with a Re-Build where you repeat the latter half of your Tri Build plan (4 weeks) before repeating your Tri Specialty block (8 weeks). You could even use this approach to build toward a different distance triathlon, but that will affect your total time since the lower-distance plans are lighter on training time due to shorter base/build blocks.

Awesome Chad. Thank you, I appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Everyone,

I spoke with Powertap regarding pairing the P1 Pedals to TrainerRoad. Here's the latest:

- P1 Pedals paired via Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Smart) need to be paired individually as left and right sensors. This poses a problem in the TrainerRoad application, as we currently can only handle power data from a single sensor at a time. Luckily, we're in contact with Powertap, and we should be receiving some P1 Pedals for internal testing.

- P1 Pedals paired via ANT+ work a little differently. The left and right pedals communicate with each other and send both L and R power in a single data package through the left pedal. In other words, TR is only pairing to one pedal, but power from both pedals is being sent and recorded.

Pairing the P1 Pedals via ANT+ should work just fine with all versions of the TrainerRoad app right now. Of course, we'll confirm this once we get the P1s to test with. :-)

Customer Support Director at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks! I prefer using TrainerRoad on a Mac using an ANT+ sub stick. So, if I'm not mistaken, I'll be fine, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome!

Yes, it would appear that you'll be fine with that setup.

That being said, I can't make any entirely definitive statements until we get our hands on the pedals for in-house testing. :-)

If you do end up running into any issues or encountering anything weird, don't hesitate to reach out to us at support@trainerroad.com. An account of whatever you experience would help inform the direction our testing takes once we get the P1s.

Thanks, Lars!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I have been doing and I seem to be getting great power readings, they match my garmin numbers perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any information on when Device Relay comes to the Windows Beta?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bozo3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bozo3000 wrote:
Any information on when Device Relay comes to the Windows Beta?

It was released yesterday! :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
It was released yesterday! :)

:-)

Thank you.
Last edited by: bozo3000: Dec 29, 15 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm into my last week of traditional base and looking forward to the new triathlon build plans. Great timing.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [joelcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed; just started Traditional Base III, and am hoping that the new triathlon-specific build plans are available in the next few weeks. Loving the results so far!

A new Mac client would be nice too... preferably not build on the Adobe Air platform. =)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [NateUT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NateUT wrote:
Agreed; just started Traditional Base III, and am hoping that the new triathlon-specific build plans are available in the next few weeks. Loving the results so far!

A new Mac client would be nice too... preferably not build on the Adobe Air platform. =)

I have double good news for you.

1) The engineer putting the new Tri Build plans into the system just promised to get them up today :). He's a triathlete and he said that he'll get it done now that he knows he has the pressure of ST on him ;).

2) We've already started re-building the Mac app and no, it's not AIR ;).

3) We just promoted our native Windows app to be the default TR app! You can get it at http://www.trainerroad.com/install. Hurray!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome update; thanks Nate (and thanks to the engineer who is getting things updated before the New Year holiday)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, Chad, and the rest of the TR team... I see that the build plans are up, thank you so much! I've really enjoyed the Sprint High Volume plan so far and looking forward to the Build. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
NateUT wrote:

I have double good news for you.

1) The engineer putting the new Tri Build plans into the system just promised to get them up today :). He's a triathlete and he said that he'll get it done now that he knows he has the pressure of ST on him ;).

2) We've already started re-building the Mac app and no, it's not AIR ;).

3) We just promoted our native Windows app to be the default TR app! You can get it at http://www.trainerroad.com/install. Hurray!

Awesome news about Mac rebuild. Since it just started is there any ETA? Even a ballpark? (3 months? 6 months?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri build plans look good. I think I'll give one of the half plans a shot after a general build block.
Will the tri specialty plans remain the same or are you guys reworking those?

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're doing a little sprint to let users select training plans in the new PC app and on the website. After that it's full time Mac.

We're already pretty far through. We hired this super expensive consultant who had a ton of Mac experience. He actually was super duper helpful and well worth the money.

To give you an idea where we are here's what we have working:
Login, sync, workout list, career list.

Big steps to finish:
Devices (this isn't actually that big since our device layer is shared across platforms)
Ride Screen
Video Workouts

I don't like to give even ball park guesses. I've done that before and people copy and paste them and send them to me :). But I can promise you we're working as hard and fast as possible on it!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next