Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,

There are some things I'd love to see in Trainer road since I've talked about half my athletes into joining it.

When you sort a workout by type ie vo2, threshold that the list populats in either ascending or descending duration. Instead I find a ride for 1:30, then one for 1:00 then one for 1:30 then 1:00 then 1:15 etc. It would be great to have all the 1 hr then 1:15 then 90min then etc listed.

The second thing I'd like to see when you order workouts by duration they appear in duration AND if possible appear in order of type of workout. ie sweet spot then threshold in duration order.

Not sure about others, but these changes would be HUGE for me since I've got so many athletes doing workouts on Trainer Road.

Thanks man

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,
Noticing a change in the training plan recommendations and looking for some further information.

Prior to the new roll-out of plans the messaging was consistently, "if you're racing and have more than 6 weeks to train ahead of your event use the Traditional Base plans".

Now with the new plans, and the Base/Build/Specialize structure, and the introduction of a sweet spot base, the messaging seems to be "Sweet Spot Base is what we recommend".

If you're training for 4-5 months before events is sweet spot base the better way to go now, or is trad base still superior?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ask77nl [ In reply to ]
Re: Trainer road.com [Alex Kizis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex Kizis wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I spoke with Powertap regarding pairing the P1 Pedals to TrainerRoad. Here's the latest:

- P1 Pedals paired via Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Smart) need to be paired individually as left and right sensors. This poses a problem in the TrainerRoad application, as we currently can only handle power data from a single sensor at a time. Luckily, we're in contact with Powertap, and we should be receiving some P1 Pedals for internal testing.

- P1 Pedals paired via ANT+ work a little differently. The left and right pedals communicate with each other and send both L and R power in a single data package through the left pedal. In other words, TR is only pairing to one pedal, but power from both pedals is being sent and recorded.

Pairing the P1 Pedals via ANT+ should work just fine with all versions of the TrainerRoad app right now. Of course, we'll confirm this once we get the P1s to test with. :-)

Thank you for the reply Alex. P1 work just fine unless you're doing the right-leg only drills. In this case it shows zero watts and the workout stops. Is there a way to do the right leg only Trainerroad workouts with P1 pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
Nate,
Noticing a change in the training plan recommendations and looking for some further information.

Prior to the new roll-out of plans the messaging was consistently, "if you're racing and have more than 6 weeks to train ahead of your event use the Traditional Base plans".

Now with the new plans, and the Base/Build/Specialize structure, and the introduction of a sweet spot base, the messaging seems to be "Sweet Spot Base is what we recommend".

If you're training for 4-5 months before events is sweet spot base the better way to go now, or is trad base still superior?

Traditional Base is still the recommended starting point if you have time before your target event to fit it in before Sweet Spot and before your Build and Specialty phases. For many, 28 weeks (Sweet Spot, Build, Specialty) is cutting it close before their A event. However, if you have more time than this, than really taking your time and building a bulletproof foundation by doing Traditional Base first is the best option.

Here's a good article that goes into this subject a little further: Sweet Spot vs. Traditional Base

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Confused and frustrated! Am I doing something wrong or trying to do something that’s not possible?

I’ve had Trainerroad for over a year now and really enjoyed it. I’ve just changed turbo to a Tacx Bushido. I also have a Stages power meter.

The Bushido works fine in Erg mode on its own in Trainerroad, but I’d like to control it with the Stages so I’m using the same power readings when riding inside and outside. I think this should be possible but cannot get it to work and I don’t know if the problem caused the Bushido, Trainerroad or my incorrect settings and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

If I start a session in Erg mode controlled by the Stages I get a couple of minutes in and the turbo slams on the brake and sets the resistance so high it is almost impossible to ride. To overcome this, I’ve tried doing the warmup in resistance or standard (when I tried last night standard mode wasn't available?) mode and then switching to Erg at the start of the first interval. Rather than tracking the power as per the target the resistance then sets to a level 40 to 50 watts higher than required for the first minute or so of the interval before dropping.

I’ve currently got the Trainerroad set to use power meter to control electronic trainer and tried different smoothing time. Is there something else I need to set on Trainerroad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a co-worker is selling a 16GB iPad 2. That have enough muscle in it to run you iOS app?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
a co-worker is selling a 16GB iPad 2. That have enough muscle in it to run you iOS app?

Yep! You'll just need an ANT+ dongle since iPad 2 does not have native bluetooth. Here's a little more on that: ANT+ Connectivity

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Triscilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triscilly wrote:
Confused and frustrated! Am I doing something wrong or trying to do something that’s not possible?

I’ve had Trainerroad for over a year now and really enjoyed it. I’ve just changed turbo to a Tacx Bushido. I also have a Stages power meter.

The Bushido works fine in Erg mode on its own in Trainerroad, but I’d like to control it with the Stages so I’m using the same power readings when riding inside and outside. I think this should be possible but cannot get it to work and I don’t know if the problem caused the Bushido, Trainerroad or my incorrect settings and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

If I start a session in Erg mode controlled by the Stages I get a couple of minutes in and the turbo slams on the brake and sets the resistance so high it is almost impossible to ride. To overcome this, I’ve tried doing the warmup in resistance or standard (when I tried last night standard mode wasn't available?) mode and then switching to Erg at the start of the first interval. Rather than tracking the power as per the target the resistance then sets to a level 40 to 50 watts higher than required for the first minute or so of the interval before dropping.

I’ve currently got the Trainerroad set to use power meter to control electronic trainer and tried different smoothing time. Is there something else I need to set on Trainerroad.

Sorry about that! I can't put my finger on anything specific that's causing this. I had a support agent check out your workouts and nothing was jumping out at us. Would you mind shooting us an email to support@trainerroad.com so a support crew member can check out your logs and run a few suggestions to try by you?

Last edited by: Trevor DeRuise: Jan 5, 16 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:

as mentioned yup it will, just know that if you have a smart trainer such as KICKR with ERG, all the ipad will show you once you get the correct dongle is power, it wont control the trainer and adjust resistance on the fly. ANT+ does not allow for that communication, only bluetooth does, which that ipad lacks.

I learned this lesson the hard way :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a carry over from another thread but more likely to get a response here;

Is there an ETA for when TR application for Mac/iOS will support KK In-ride version 2? Currently the mac version does not, through I understand the windows beta may?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
J_R wrote:

as mentioned yup it will, just know that if you have a smart trainer such as KICKR with ERG, all the ipad will show you once you get the correct dongle is power, it wont control the trainer and adjust resistance on the fly. ANT+ does not allow for that communication, only bluetooth does, which that ipad lacks.

I learned this lesson the hard way :(

So Ant+ can control load via PC, but not iPad?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Triscilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a very similar experience when trying to use my quarq to control resistance on my Powerbeam. 3-4x per workout I'd get huge resistance spikes like this. Turning off the power meter control option fixed it. My quarq and powerbeam seem to be pretty close so it's doesn't both me that much, but would be great to be able to use this without worry.

Triscilly wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Nate,

There are some things I'd love to see in Trainer road since I've talked about half my athletes into joining it.

When you sort a workout by type ie vo2, threshold that the list populats in either ascending or descending duration. Instead I find a ride for 1:30, then one for 1:00 then one for 1:30 then 1:00 then 1:15 etc. It would be great to have all the 1 hr then 1:15 then 90min then etc listed.

The second thing I'd like to see when you order workouts by duration they appear in duration AND if possible appear in order of type of workout. ie sweet spot then threshold in duration order.

Not sure about others, but these changes would be HUGE for me since I've got so many athletes doing workouts on Trainer Road.

Thanks man

I can make this happen ;). For the secondary sort, I'm guessing we should start with the lowest duration then ascend?

For the duration secondary sort that's a bit harder. Maybe have those sort by IF? Lowest IF to highest? Or Highest IF to lowest?

Thanks for having your athletes use it :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trevor DeRuise wrote:

Traditional Base is still the recommended starting point if you have time before your target event to fit it in before Sweet Spot and before your Build and Specialty phases. For many, 28 weeks (Sweet Spot, Build, Specialty) is cutting it close before their A event. However, if you have more time than this, than really taking your time and building a bulletproof foundation by doing Traditional Base first is the best option.

Here's a good article that goes into this subject a little further: Sweet Spot vs. Traditional Base

Hey Trevor, thanks for answering all of these questions relating to the training plans (Coach Chad too). I'm doing IMFL with 44 full weeks to train (as of yesterday) with a 70.3 "A" race in week 27. I have 12 weeks available for base training starting this week, but I'm not sure if I should do the Full Tri Base (high volume) or the Traditional Base (medium volume). Both have relatively similar time commitments per week which is about my max time commitment.

I see you typically recommend the Traditional Base vs Sweet Spot if athletes have the time, but not sure where the new Tri plans fit into this equation.

Also, for the build plans, would I go with a Half Tri Build or the Sustained Power Build (assuming same time commitments) leading up to week 27? Same question for the Sustained Power Build vs the Full Tri Build for IMFL in week 44. Not sure what the difference is between the Sustained Build and the Tri build plans and the pros/cons of both.

Thanks!!

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Essentially the difference is the same, except instead of Sweet Spot, think Tri Base. So if you have time, I'd still recommend doing Traditional Base first. Follow this up with the Tri Base plan, and then the Tri Build plan. If time doesn't permit, just jump right in to the Tri Base plan and skip Traditional.

I'd definitely recommend sticking with Tri Build, rather than regular Build. The reason here is that the new tri plans take into consideration all of the other work triathletes are doing beyond just cycling. With that in mind, Coach Chad was able to create a much more comprehensive and effective plan for the unique needs of a triathlete, as compared to a cyclist only.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trevor/chad

I am about to start the tri base but due to my schedule considering moving the saturday workout to sunday (keeping the rest the same)...will I lose a significant part of the plan's intent my moving that workout a day later? I notice that you stacked 3 pretty solid workouts back to back to back Thurs-Sat. Will I lose out big on the physiological benefits of those 3 back to back workouts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any tips for moving the long Sunday run to Wednesday? I'm trying to use the weekend to accomodate more biking on the weekends due to travel.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just starting out with TR and did the 8 Minute Test tonight.
I thought it would give me an option to change my FTP from the standard 200, but it didn't. What recorded value or number should I adjust my FTP to?
Could it be since I chose HR for workout type?
It did recommend a new LTHR value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a small annoyance with the new app - when changing from the minimal-view to the window-view, the window isn't maximized. Still, I'm loving the new app!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use TR Beta with my Windows 10 computer and CT. Often when I fire it all up, I need to pull the CT USB cable from the computer and then pop it back in to get TR to recognize it. It works generally well, but the odd time I'll get a dropout, usually not lasting more than about ten seconds. Yesterday I had a 40 second drop at the 43 minute mark on Ericsson (u/n: hardidu).

I also had a hell of a time getting the Sufferfest video to not skip and eventually just killed the video. That may have more to do with the lack of RAM I have, but I'll mention it in either case.

New
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
trevor/chad

I am about to start the tri base but due to my schedule considering moving the saturday workout to sunday (keeping the rest the same)...will I lose a significant part of the plan's intent my moving that workout a day later? I notice that you stacked 3 pretty solid workouts back to back to back Thurs-Sat. Will I lose out big on the physiological benefits of those 3 back to back workouts?

It wouldn't be ideal given that this weekly 3-workout block provides an important amount of training stress, followed by an important 2-day recovery period. However, the most important thing for all endurance athletes is finding the best balance for your own life and routine. If squeezing in that Saturday workout is going to provide a large amount of additional stress/challenges in your life, than you're probably not going to get a ton of benefit from it anyways. In which case, moving it to Sunday would be a much better move. Especially since you are still achieving all of the TSS each week, and allowing adequate recovery before the following week begins.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
Any tips for moving the long Sunday run to Wednesday? I'm trying to use the weekend to accomodate more biking on the weekends due to travel.

For Tri Base? Which Volume are you doing?

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I'm just starting out with TR and did the 8 Minute Test tonight.
I thought it would give me an option to change my FTP from the standard 200, but it didn't. What recorded value or number should I adjust my FTP to?
Could it be since I chose HR for workout type?
It did recommend a new LTHR value.

Would you mind shooting us an email to support@trainerroad.com? We can have a support team member check it out and get you your FTP and let you know why it didn't show up.

Quote Reply

Prev Next