Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [trihugger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihugger wrote:
Hi All,
(apologies for double-posting)

your help is appreciated.

I managed to get my Quarq to control my Kickr on ERG mode in TrainerRoad. It's my first time doing this and I'm not sure that this how it's supposed to work. Power was fluctuating to much for my taste, althoug around the target power. Picture is attached below.

Can you please confirm that this how it's supposed to work or help me point to where the problem could be?

Thanks,
T

That's just the nature of power meters and humans not being machines. That's actually how your power is being applied to the pedals. Overtime, you can become more smooth. In the meantime, you could turn on power smoothing so that you can get more smooth output.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobra_kai wrote:
I have seen similar issues with cadence changes. If I'm doing an interval and I go from seated to standing I usually see a drop in cadence on the order of 20 RPM. This seems to cause a lot of issues in the software. Either it can't increase resistance enough to hit the targets at the lower cadence, or when I sit back down and increase the cadence back up I see a big spike in resistance. It seems to have particular trouble at higher powers. I am wondering if there is some logic that limits the offset that can be applied when using powermatch? I am using a tacx vortex with a power2max controlling it and 5 second power averaging.

Here is an example of the trainer not increasing power while standing - see the first two intervals. The second two I did not stand and there were no issues.

Here is one where the power did not increase enough when standing and then didn't decrease when I sat back down - see the dip in power and then subsequent spike in the second higher intensity interval.

Also note that it doesn't seem to log the cadence from the power2max correctly. There is no problem on my garmin.

If you change cadence or gears during your ride the Kickr will compensate, it just takes a while to "kick" in. We just tell the Kickr "Set ERG to 200 watts" and it handles the rest. If we do detect a sustained difference between your power meter and Kickr, we'll say "Set ERG to 205 watts" or something like that depending on the offset.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdm81 wrote:
Nate,

Regarding the powermatch, you said "It will then apply an offset to the Kickr so that your power numbers line up."

I have one of the poorly calibrated Kickrs and currently use powermatch off of my Quarq. I am curious whether the program has the ability to track the offset over a number of rides and create a "best estimate" of the offset to use when the Quarq is not present. As the weather turns, I would like to put a bike w/o a power meter on the Kickr, so I don't have to do the on-the-trainer/off-the-trainer swap a couple times a week when going between outdoor and indoor rides.

Thanks.

We don't do that :(. It's a constant battle getting a PM to line up with a trainer. There will often be drift between the PM and the trainer as the workout gets longer.

We just had an employee who did a three hour steady state ride. He was perfectly matched between his Vectors and Kickr at the beginning of the ride. By the last hour there was a 20 watt difference. He even stopped and did another spin down. Power match kept the two inline though.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
This is a carry over from another thread but more likely to get a response here;

Is there an ETA for when TR application for Mac/iOS will support KK In-ride version 2? Currently the mac version does not, through I understand the windows beta may?

didnt see a response to this question from 2 pages back. Trevor or Nate care to take a shot? I've got two new users ready to sign up as soon as its ready to go!

iOS is next for inRide2. We're launching the ability to pick training plans on the website soon. Once that's done the iOS inRide 2 update is next.

Thanks nate!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Alex Kizis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex Kizis wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I spoke with Powertap regarding pairing the P1 Pedals to TrainerRoad. Here's the latest:

- P1 Pedals paired via Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Smart) need to be paired individually as left and right sensors. This poses a problem in the TrainerRoad application, as we currently can only handle power data from a single sensor at a time. Luckily, we're in contact with Powertap, and we should be receiving some P1 Pedals for internal testing.

- P1 Pedals paired via ANT+ work a little differently. The left and right pedals communicate with each other and send both L and R power in a single data package through the left pedal. In other words, TR is only pairing to one pedal, but power from both pedals is being sent and recorded.

Pairing the P1 Pedals via ANT+ should work just fine with all versions of the TrainerRoad app right now. Of course, we'll confirm this once we get the P1s to test with. :-)

Hey Alex,

Formerly running TrainerRoad with KickR via ANT+ and using a Garmin cadence sensor. Worked very well but noticed a lot of spikes in the last few weeks.

Received a set of P1 pedals and now wish to use them to basically to record power separately and for cadence but not control the KickR but when I use TrainerRoad with the KickR in ERG mode pairing via bluethooth my power doesn't seem to display but the target power is displayed.

I may be confusing myself but is there an ideal pairing that works best for TrainerRoad / KickR / Powertap P1s. I'm using a MAC book. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [goodie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the P1 pedals require special Bluetooth coding to be able to read power data from them. We haven't done that yet, although cycleops did just send us a pair of P1 pedals so that we can do this.

For now, I would pair your P1 pedals via ANT+ on your macbook.

You can continue to pair your Kickr via Bluetooth. Hope that helps.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nate. I can only pair the P1 pedals via ANT + as a power meter which then seems to take over the KickR. On my profile I have three choices which playing around with them doesn't make any immediate difference (nor would I suspect them to):

1. Use power meter to control electronic trainer
2. Apply trainer power wattage offset
3. Disable

I have the most up to date app for the MAC book as well. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question/opinion wanted. I have run through the sustained power build a number of times with pretty good results. I am just about to start another 8 week block and was wondering if I should continue using that plan, or, switch to the half distance tri build plan? I have done a handful of half and full distance races over the past few years and will plan on a half this spring/early summer. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [McNabb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNabb wrote:
Quick question/opinion wanted. I have run through the sustained power build a number of times with pretty good results. I am just about to start another 8 week block and was wondering if I should continue using that plan, or, switch to the half distance tri build plan? I have done a handful of half and full distance races over the past few years and will plan on a half this spring/early summer. Thanks.

Try the 4 week Sufferfest Build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have an ETA for the newly revised triathlon specialty plans? I am moving from build to the half ironman specialty phase. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent this below message to Nate, but thought I'd post here as some users may have experienced this as well and could help....

Riddle me this:

This morning I paired my Computrainer to TrainerRoad - ERG mode and did White +1. I only synced the CT to let it control the workout. I did not sync my powermeter or heartrate strap. I then opened up Zwift and had Zwift connected to my Power2Max power meter as the Power Source and HR strap. I rode for 15 minutes above 150 watts and calibrated the CT to 2.04. I then unclipped and re-calibrated my Power2Max through my Garmin. What I noticed was my Computrainer had consistently 12-15% lower watts than what my Powermeter/Zwift was reading. So, in Zwift my Garmin and Zwift (both synced to the Power2Max) had my wattage showing at 203 where TrainerRoad connected to the CT was showing me more at 173. I have the Garmin on 3 sec avg and the reading were consistent with Zwift give or take. It wasn't just this one instance, but the whole ride. I'm assuming the powermeter is the more accurate effort, but how would I get these numbers more inline? I understand it can't be perfect, but hoping closer than 12-15%.

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JTPATE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could use our PowerMatch feature to have your power meter data feed back into your CT.

Here's some more info on that: http://support.trainerroad.com/...-Electronic-Trainers

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [McNabb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'd recommend giving the Half-Distance Tri Base & Build plans a shot (updated Specialty plans are in the works right now) since you have a half on the horizon. I've integrated swim & run workouts, but more importantly, each of the three phases integrate really tightly and account for the accumulated stress of all 3 disciplines.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bigsur28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there, I'm working on them now so they'll crop up very soon. Sprint is done and the others are nearing completion but definitely still need a fair amount of work. We'll keep everyone informed via our usual social channels though!

Quote Reply
Joining Trainerroad.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my first indoor "off season" and I'm going to be setting up TrainerRoad this weekend. I'm trying to skim through the almost 100 pages of posts in this thread to educate myself, but I wanted to ask for any advice you all may have so I might avoid any common mistakes being new to indoor training in general and TrainerRoad specifically.

I'm using my Specialized Shiv tribike on a Kinetic Roadmachine and I plan to setup on an IPad with the ANT+ Wahoo fitness key for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [martyhogan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you start with an FTP test. After that, I'd start one of our plans.

Other than that you should be good! :-D

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just another shout out for Trainerroad. I can't wait to get back to it here in the next week (or two). All my trainer stuff has been in a moving truck/storage since the end of July - house is just a week or two away from being done and will finally get my stuff back. Really have been missing that screen to keep me honest and moving forward - been primarily on crappy gym spin bikes. In hindsight I should have asked to freeze my account, but really didn't expect house hunting to take this long.

Great product and great people at Trainerroad. Happy training.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Just another shout out for Trainerroad. I can't wait to get back to it here in the next week (or two). All my trainer stuff has been in a moving truck/storage since the end of July - house is just a week or two away from being done and will finally get my stuff back. Really have been missing that screen to keep me honest and moving forward - been primarily on crappy gym spin bikes. In hindsight I should have asked to freeze my account, but really didn't expect house hunting to take this long.

Great product and great people at Trainerroad. Happy training.

Thanks man! That makes my day :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else with a KICKR experiencing issues since the latest version of the Windows beta/new full version?

I'm having issues with the KICKR holding target power but then as the target moves the KICKR just holds the previous target power and doesnt adjust. Haven't had much response from TR yet on ways to solve.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
Anyone else with a KICKR experiencing issues since the latest version of the Windows beta/new full version?

I'm having issues with the KICKR holding target power but then as the target moves the KICKR just holds the previous target power and doesnt adjust. Haven't had much response from TR yet on ways to solve.

I don't have a KICKR (Tacx Bushido) but had the same issue. Target was supposed to move up 20 watts but stayed at previous interval's power (this was after working great for 45 minutes of the workout).

TR support suggested that I uninstall the Beta and download the production version instead at https://www.trainerroad.com/install. Did a workout this morning and it was back on target.

Strava
Quote Reply
Coming out of recovery weeks flat/stale [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Title says it all. I am in week 5 of high volume Sustained Power Build. Last week was the recovery week, which was welcome as I was carrying residual fatigue (mental and physical). That seems to have resolved nicely and I felt well rested for my 20 minute test on Tuesday. I don't think I was wildly overshooting (I am not new by any means to a 20 minute test protocol and only targeted 3% over my test from week 1 of the build phase). Legs felt out of sorts, aerobic capacity felt underwhelming, and HR spiked way too fast to the point that I bailed (for the first time ever on a 20 minute test) at the 10 minute point. I have notes from my test back on week one indicating similar feelings of staleness after a light week during my 20 minute test. So my questions is how do I make better use of the recovery week to keep my edge but still recover? My gut is telling me lack of higher intensity work over the past 10 days (last higher intensity workout was Thursday of week 3) took away my edge or tolerance for work, but I am only guessing. At the end of the day, I am unhappy about quitting a 20 minute test in the middle, and honestly feel my current fitness is better than it was in week 1's test. I am thinking about shuffling in a new test next week to get a newer number rather than waiting to week 1 of my Specialty phase, but don't want to come out of the next recovery week feeling blah.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question ( I hope) In the below workout (using Tacx Vortex) everything goes very smoothly except on my two "hardest" hardest intervals where the trainer didn't seem to hold the correct power, it did just fine in the warm up interval at that intensity.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/3036467-Huffaker

Not a big issue because anything shorter and higher intensity then these I plan to use slope mode not erg, just curious if anyone else runs into this and what I screwed up to cause it.
Quote Reply
Re: Coming out of recovery weeks flat/stale [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

This is a pretty common issue and one that makes me hesitant to schedule most assessments immediately following a rest week. Thing is, that's generally when riders are freshest with the best chance of performing to their potential, at least physiologically.

But I think you nailed it in that your "edge or tolerance for work" faded a bit. This is exactly why tapers work as well as they do - load goes down but intensity (and consequently your mental edge) stays right where it needs to be. It's for this reason that I've recently been using short, hard workouts to get me back into the swing of things after any type of training hiatus (be it a couple days or most of a week) before I attempt my most demanding and potentially productive workouts.

So the alternative is to bump your assessment one or two days later and do something fairly rigorous a couple days (or even the day before) prior. Might seem like this would take some of the wind out of your sails, but if you keep the efforts short, the intensity high (relative to the workouts you've been doing) and the recovery valleys generous, I think you'll be pleasantly surprise on how motivated you are to push yourself during your subsequent assessment.

This has worked really well in my personal training and I attribute it entirely to its effect on my mental state in that it's easier to remember how to hurt. And since assessment is necessarily about hurting, it makes really good sense to me.

Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:

We released an update yesterday to address this.

It could happen if you're in an area with a lot of drop outs. Everything should be good now.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Quick question ( I hope) In the below workout (using Tacx Vortex) everything goes very smoothly except on my two "hardest" hardest intervals where the trainer didn't seem to hold the correct power, it did just fine in the warm up interval at that intensity.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/3036467-Huffaker

Not a big issue because anything shorter and higher intensity then these I plan to use slope mode not erg, just curious if anyone else runs into this and what I screwed up to cause it.

That was probably due to a bug in the software. It's been fixed now. Sorry about the issue :(.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next