Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, look at that. I deleted the app, reinstalled, and now the second Phoenix on Saturday has disappeared!

I never thought about reinstalling because it never occurred to me that it might be an error. 3:00 total time for Saturday was in line with the previous (3:45) and following (4:00) Saturdays.

PS love the app and the assistance available in here. Have gone from zero cycling experience with 198 FTP to 248 FTP in 3.5 months all thanks to the program, and I expect the gains to continue!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ned_braden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ned_braden wrote:
Well, look at that. I deleted the app, reinstalled, and now the second Phoenix on Saturday has disappeared!

I never thought about reinstalling because it never occurred to me that it might be an error. 3:00 total time for Saturday was in line with the previous (3:45) and following (4:00) Saturdays.

PS love the app and the assistance available in here. Have gone from zero cycling experience with 198 FTP to 248 FTP in 3.5 months all thanks to the program, and I expect the gains to continue!

Voila!

I wouldn't have thought about it either! Thanks for catching that — it must have slipped in there on a previous version..

And thank you for the feedback! Really happy to have you on-board man; congrats, that's a huge jump. We'll be looking forward to even more massive gains down the road! :)

Happy Training!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coach Chad - thanks for all your help here with training plan suggestions. I'm looking at targeting a Half Iron Distance Tri this fall ... in particular I'd be handling the bike portion for our relay team. The event is ~13 weeks out from now. Any suggestions as to what plan may help the best between now and then? I did about 1/2 of the SS Base Low Volume earlier this year, then moved onto a mid-volume Rolling Road Race plan in prep for my first race of the year. Since then I've gone back to the high volume SS Base, and am currently on week 3. I've done Half Iron distance events for the past few years (doing all three disciplines), however I injured my hip (torn labrum and FAI) about a year ago and had to take 6 months off from all biking & running. I'm back on the bike now and things seem to be holding together ok. Any training plan advice you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BxHBxH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BxHBxH wrote:
Coach Chad - thanks for all your help here with training plan suggestions. I'm looking at targeting a Half Iron Distance Tri this fall ... in particular I'd be handling the bike portion for our relay team. The event is ~13 weeks out from now. Any suggestions as to what plan may help the best between now and then? I did about 1/2 of the SS Base Low Volume earlier this year, then moved onto a mid-volume Rolling Road Race plan in prep for my first race of the year. Since then I've gone back to the high volume SS Base, and am currently on week 3. I've done Half Iron distance events for the past few years (doing all three disciplines), however I injured my hip (torn labrum and FAI) about a year ago and had to take 6 months off from all biking & running. I'm back on the bike now and things seem to be holding together ok. Any training plan advice you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Very welcome! With 13 weeks and 3 weeks into SSB leaving you 10 weeks, I'd recommend finishing at least the remaining 3 weeks of SSB I and then considering SSB II followed by a single week taper plucked from the 40k TT plan, either week 7 or 8.

If for some reason you feel the need to escalate your training because everything is going exceptionally well and your hip's handling the stress well, you can move into Sustained Power Build or even the 40k TT plan if you're particularly happy with your sustainable power and aren't seeing any decline in power output over the course of your longer, race-paced rides.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
more and more appreciating how useful trainerroad is. thought my ftp test might be slightly low because I thought base plan workouts should be a little harder so I bumped it up 5% which made next workout sufficiently hard. Then today did Dade -1 and got through 5 of 9 intervals at that 105% workout intensity before my power started dropping and I just could not get it back up so I had to drop intensity by 5%. I think I'll still start next workout at 105% and see how that goes. But trainerroad is sure making me work hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Coach Chad,

I've got a question for you as well.

Last Saturday, while doing my last long ride before my first Ironman, I slipped and fell down on the ground. I got on the bike as quickly as I could, rode home (which took another hour) and with all the adrenaline in my body ("I must finish this workout") I threw my bike on the trainer and did what I should've done when I saw the pouring rain: I finished my ride by riding another two hours on a TrainerRoad workout.

However, my wrist felt worse and worse, and all the galls and scratches that showed up underneath my gear made me realize I was in trouble. My wife took me to the weekend doctor, which diagnosed I probably had bruised my wrist. His advice was to cool it often en give it some rest. It sure helped, but it sucked that I couldn't do my last long run on Sunday.

Yesterday, I got on the bike to ride Dans, and today I rode Pettit. I saw my own doctor today and had some X-ray scans made. Turns out the weekend doctor was right: my wrist has been bruised, not broken or torn (so that's a small win). However, due to this and the other damage I have on my body, some changes must be made.

Chad, knowing that I've got two-and-a-half week to go (my race is on Sunday 3rd July), what would be your advice on workouts I should do? Like I said, I rode Dans and Pettit to keep my body in movement, but I don't think it's a good idea to do the prescribed workouts for this week. Both Sierra and Tower are hard workouts. I could start them and see how it goes? Or should I keep my focus on doing the 0.7 IF factor work, like I plan to race on? Maybe even some Sweet Spot work? You'll understand that this is absolutely not how I planned to spend these last three weeks, but unfortunately it's something I have to deal with. I know that you guys aren't doctors, but any advice on this matter would help me anyway :-)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
more and more appreciating how useful trainerroad is. thought my ftp test might be slightly low because I thought base plan workouts should be a little harder so I bumped it up 5% which made next workout sufficiently hard. Then today did Dade -1 and got through 5 of 9 intervals at that 105% workout intensity before my power started dropping and I just could not get it back up so I had to drop intensity by 5%. I think I'll still start next workout at 105% and see how that goes. But trainerroad is sure making me work hard.

Stoked to hear you're getting so much out it! We're happy to have you training with us. :)

If you've tested well, your FTP shouldn't necessarily have to be adjusted and you'll still encounter the proper difficulty that we think will prompt the most adaptation towards increased fitness. Of course, if you know you're feeling stronger go ahead and increase as you see fit. You should always feel comfortable making adjustments to suit your individual fitness needs. If you find that the increased adjustments you made are feeling comfortable (easy breathing w/ workouts of high IFs or simply confidence with your adjustments) it could be time for another assessment. You can swap them for a workout in your plan if you wish. Alternatively, if you continually struggle to reach the workout's demands at a normal intensity — time for recovery.

In case you think your FTP may be undervalued, take a look at our recent blog post making sure you nail it: How to get your best FTP results

On the other hand, if you're struggling to stick through a workout at 100%, it'll be useful to take a look at another of our posts addressing how to recognize and deal with bailing out: When is it okay to bailout of a workout?

Hope this helps — cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely money well spent. I wish their was a trainerroad for the pool. I have an assessment coming up in another week. Either at the start of the build or when my new power meter comes in. Hopefully, I'll have the power meter next week sometime and can use it to assess at start of build program.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a general observation. Matthes +2 is a complete bastard.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [larsvanzanten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
larsvanzanten wrote:
Hi Coach Chad,

I've got a question for you as well.

Last Saturday, while doing my last long ride before my first Ironman, I slipped and fell down on the ground. I got on the bike as quickly as I could, rode home (which took another hour) and with all the adrenaline in my body ("I must finish this workout") I threw my bike on the trainer and did what I should've done when I saw the pouring rain: I finished my ride by riding another two hours on a TrainerRoad workout.

However, my wrist felt worse and worse, and all the galls and scratches that showed up underneath my gear made me realize I was in trouble. My wife took me to the weekend doctor, which diagnosed I probably had bruised my wrist. His advice was to cool it often en give it some rest. It sure helped, but it sucked that I couldn't do my last long run on Sunday.

Yesterday, I got on the bike to ride Dans, and today I rode Pettit. I saw my own doctor today and had some X-ray scans made. Turns out the weekend doctor was right: my wrist has been bruised, not broken or torn (so that's a small win). However, due to this and the other damage I have on my body, some changes must be made.

Chad, knowing that I've got two-and-a-half week to go (my race is on Sunday 3rd July), what would be your advice on workouts I should do? Like I said, I rode Dans and Pettit to keep my body in movement, but I don't think it's a good idea to do the prescribed workouts for this week. Both Sierra and Tower are hard workouts. I could start them and see how it goes? Or should I keep my focus on doing the 0.7 IF factor work, like I plan to race on? Maybe even some Sweet Spot work? You'll understand that this is absolutely not how I planned to spend these last three weeks, but unfortunately it's something I have to deal with. I know that you guys aren't doctors, but any advice on this matter would help me anyway :-)

Thanks!

Hi Lars,

Sorry to hear about the ill-timed injury! But if your buildup to this point has been reasonably consistent - and I'm guessing it has since you sound very committed to your training - these three weeks aren't going to negatively impact your race performance as long as you stay on top of your aerobic conditioning.

This is easily accomplished by simply doing what you've already suggested and performing some lower-IF (same duration) rides in place of any intensity that might aggravate your injury. There's no deep need to sharpen any higher-end power output for an event like a full-distance tri, so don't sweat the substitutions you'll make leading up to your first IM.

Just keep your training schedule consistent, err on the side of recovery on those days where you're feeling a bit too overreached/flat, and enjoy the slightly longer taper - it could very well benefit you as much (more, depending on your training adaptability & history) as if you had completed every workout as prescribed because in so many cases, motivated athletes are carrying more fatigue than they realize.

Consider this your opportunity to arrive at race day that much fresher than you might have. Best of luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
alphadogcycling wrote:
Chad,

Given this, is there any reason why the "Personal Record" list doesn't include 8 minute power explicitly? Since FTP can be set off of 8 minute power, it would be useful to see that explicitly in person record.

Also, it would be great if you could choose a time period for Personal Record. E.g., all-time, last 180 days, etc.

Cheers,

Matthew

It's because I was dumb when I set up the PRs a few years ago :(. We've got plans to revamp this so that you can view a PR at any second, like 2:32 if you wanted. We'll also add the ability to look and compare PRs based on time range.

Since you are revamping this, can I make a suggestion?
Often times, I do a workout and I want to compare to the same workout I did a few weeks/months ago. Let's say, I did Mist and I want to see how I did on Mist 3 months ago or last year when I did the same workout. It would be nice if it showed me that when I click on the workout.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad, thank you so much for your quick reply to my message. It's very good to read those words from you, making me feel really reassured. I have been really dedicated indeed, and the extra sleep and rest I'm taking right now is doing my body really good, so maybe seeing this as an opportunity isn't the worst idea :-) Went running today, and thankfully that didn't feel so bad at all. Swimming actually is the biggest issue now, as I have a lot of scratches that aren't healed yet.

Just to make sure: for tomorrow, the original plan made me do Tower. Depending on how I'll feel tomorrow, I'll start that workout and see how it goes. If it's getting too hard, I'll shut down the workout and ride out the rest of those 90 minutes at 65-75%. But if I'm not feeling good enough, I should just do a 90m workout at 65-75%, like Brasstown? Or should/could I replace it by a somewhat longer workout, say Boarstone (which is 2 hours)?

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
larsvanzanten wrote:
Chad, thank you so much for your quick reply to my message. It's very good to read those words from you, making me feel really reassured. I have been really dedicated indeed, and the extra sleep and rest I'm taking right now is doing my body really good, so maybe seeing this as an opportunity isn't the worst idea :-) Went running today, and thankfully that didn't feel so bad at all. Swimming actually is the biggest issue now, as I have a lot of scratches that aren't healed yet.

Just to make sure: for tomorrow, the original plan made me do Tower. Depending on how I'll feel tomorrow, I'll start that workout and see how it goes. If it's getting too hard, I'll shut down the workout and ride out the rest of those 90 minutes at 65-75%. But if I'm not feeling good enough, I should just do a 90m workout at 65-75%, like Brasstown? Or should/could I replace it by a somewhat longer workout, say Boarstone (which is 2 hours)?

Thanks again!

Hi Lars, you're very welcome!

Really, there are no wrong answers here (certainly not in the case of all of your suggestions) as long as you base things on how well you feel while paying close attention to your injury and your level of freshness.

As long as you're feeling gradually fresher over these final 2.5 weeks but you recognize that you're getting in enough stress to keep from sacrificing any fitness gains - and that will take remarkably little if your aerobic base is solid - all of your suggestions are within safe and productive boundaries.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad I have a non cycling related question. I am following the Mid Volume Full Distance plan as my training for Lake Placid (First Full IM) I am a pretty new swimmer and have very little experience open water swimming. As such i think i am going to enter an open water swim before the race, the one I am looking at is 14 days prior to the race and I have the option of either a 5k or a 2.5k swim. in the training plan is has me doing 4625m that day, I am right to assume that doing a relatively easy 5k open water would be a good swap? any advice would be greatly apprciated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again! Just rewatched the documentary on Rossi you guys did. Really inspiring, especially his thoughts after the crash a few weeks before Nationals. Wow, that man is a beast!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Chad I have a non cycling related question. I am following the Mid Volume Full Distance plan as my training for Lake Placid (First Full IM) I am a pretty new swimmer and have very little experience open water swimming. As such i think i am going to enter an open water swim before the race, the one I am looking at is 14 days prior to the race and I have the option of either a 5k or a 2.5k swim. in the training plan is has me doing 4625m that day, I am right to assume that doing a relatively easy 5k open water would be a good swap? any advice would be greatly apprciated

Sounds like a great idea. Not only is the swim distance very similar to the to scheduled workout, but getting an open water swim under your belt prior to your first full-distance tri is invaluable, especially if for a new swimmer. Learn from it, in terms of pacing as well as any other bits of information you can glean relating to positioning, relaxation, the necessity (or not) of a warmup, etc. Good luck!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:

Awesome man! Keep up the hard work!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
alphadogcycling wrote:
Chad,

Given this, is there any reason why the "Personal Record" list doesn't include 8 minute power explicitly? Since FTP can be set off of 8 minute power, it would be useful to see that explicitly in person record.

Also, it would be great if you could choose a time period for Personal Record. E.g., all-time, last 180 days, etc.

Cheers,

Matthew

It's because I was dumb when I set up the PRs a few years ago :(. We've got plans to revamp this so that you can view a PR at any second, like 2:32 if you wanted. We'll also add the ability to look and compare PRs based on time range.

Since you are revamping this, can I make a suggestion?
Often times, I do a workout and I want to compare to the same workout I did a few weeks/months ago. Let's say, I did Mist and I want to see how I did on Mist 3 months ago or last year when I did the same workout. It would be nice if it showed me that when I click on the workout.

Thanks.

Yes, 100%.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Managed to do Tower almost completely. Finished the workout halfway the final interval (@ 100%), erring on the side of caution. Thanks again for your advice!

Just another question. I was wondering what you mean by the following workout description on Truuli -2:
Quote:
Give yourself adequate recovery between efforts and stay hydrated & nourished, and definitely have a recovery immediately post-workout.

What do you mean by "have a recovery immediately post-workout"? Do you mean a recovery drink? Meal? Or are you talking about recovery in general?

The day before my Ironman, I must do this straight after the hotel check-in. Right after it, I have to take my bike to T1. Is this okay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at the list of personal records on the Career page of TR and I am thinking about how I want the line to look.
My thinking is that if you want to be a generalist, with, in my case, a focus on 25M and upwards time trials I would want my line to be pretty much from 11:00 to 05:00 on the clock face.
Currently mine goes from 593 (5s) to 142 (3 hours) and I was thinking of getting the power numbers higher for 60 minutes and above
I have attached an image

Does that make sense ?

PS love TR and the podcasts

PPS Just updated my TR version and it still shows as beta - is that correct?

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
larsvanzanten wrote:
Managed to do Tower almost completely. Finished the workout halfway the final interval (@ 100%), erring on the side of caution. Thanks again for your advice!

Just another question. I was wondering what you mean by the following workout description on Truuli -2:
Quote:
Give yourself adequate recovery between efforts and stay hydrated & nourished, and definitely have a recovery immediately post-workout.

What do you mean by "have a recovery immediately post-workout"? Do you mean a recovery drink? Meal? Or are you talking about recovery in general?

The day before my Ironman, I must do this straight after the hotel check-in. Right after it, I have to take my bike to T1. Is this okay?

Yep, that's a typo that I've updated to read: "Give yourself adequate recovery between efforts and stay hydrated & nourished, and don't neglect your post-workout nutrition."

The concern here is simply that you don't deplete any of the carbohydrate stores you're likely to need the next day, especially if you're racing early in the morning and/or you have a long day ahead of you. Given how short this workout is, when you time this intake isn't as much of a concern as it would be with a more depleting workout. But if you can have a recovery drink at the ready such that you can get it out of the way right away, it's better to be safe than sorry (or maybe even get distracted with other things after your bike drop-off).

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnybike wrote:
I have been looking at the list of personal records on the Career page of TR and I am thinking about how I want the line to look.
My thinking is that if you want to be a generalist, with, in my case, a focus on 25M and upwards time trials I would want my line to be pretty much from 11:00 to 05:00 on the clock face.
Currently mine goes from 593 (5s) to 142 (3 hours) and I was thinking of getting the power numbers higher for 60 minutes and above
I have attached an image

Does that make sense ?

PS love TR and the podcasts

PPS Just updated my TR version and it still shows as beta - is that correct?

Racing and Training with a Power Meter (book) has the power curves for things like "general" or "sprinter" laid out in it really well. I just did a quick google search for the images but I can't find them.

What you're saying does make sense.

Thanks for the kind words about the podcast!

You're probably on the "beta channel". You can both the TR prod app and TR beta installed. You can get the prod version at http://www.trainerroad.com/install.

Hope that helps.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again. Makes sense!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, is there a way to copy a custom workout to another account to use with the companion app? Or do you have to create workout in each account?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cpotter88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cpotter88 wrote:
Nate, is there a way to copy a custom workout to another account to use with the companion app? Or do you have to create workout in each account?

Hey there,

The best way to share custom workouts is to create a Team (https://www.trainerroad.com/teams) and then you can share workouts with any TrainerRoad subscriber you'd like.

Quote Reply

Prev Next