Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any plans to add a second companion? So three total on one computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the case of a ultra-distance triathlete who has the time and doesn't mind spending that extra time on the bike at lower intensities to cultivate an aerobic base more slowly, and the athlete doesn't mind the less entertaining workout selection, then the high-volume Traditional Base plan is still a great way to go, especially if you've come up against any sort of performance plateau over the last couple seasons.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Rusty Sprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah! Good catch. I don't think we posted the swim drill descriptions or the RPE descriptions. We'll get on that first thing Monday, but in the interim, here they are below:

Catch-Up (CU)
Your lead arm will remain fully extended in front of you until your working arm completes a full stroke. The working arm now becomes the lead arm and remains fully extended in front of you until your working arm completes its full stroke and “catches up”.
Half Catch-Up (HCU)
This abbreviated catch-up will bring the full catch-up drill closer to your actual freestyle stroke. Instead of waiting until your working arm reaches your lead arm, start pulling with your lead hand a little earlier, when your working hand is even with your lead arm’s elbow.
Fingertips & Thumbs (F&T)
During your normal freestyle stroke, keep your elbows high and lightly drag your fingertips across the water as your working arm recovers. Then, as your working hand exits the water on the release, lightly scrape your thumb against your thigh. These two actions can be done individually or combined.
Fists (F)
Swim with clenched fists and focus on rotating your shoulders and bending your working elbow during the catch such that you create a pull that's nearly as powerful as one done with an open hand.
Single-Arm (SA)
Restrict yourself to one arm’s use for an entire pool length by keeping the opposite arm extended in front of you or at your side (advanced). If necessary, perform this drills using fins until you improve to the point that you can eliminate them. Try to use a moderate kick and normal body positioning, rolling into your working arm.
Front Sculling (FS)
Stretch your arms out in front of you, fingertips pointed forward, arms no more than shoulder width apart and use both hands to propel yourself forward by “sculling” in a figure-eight pattern as you simulate the catch over & over. Use a minimal kick and do this with your head up or down.
Chest Sculling (CS)
With your chest facing down, bend your elbows and point your fingertips down while keeping your elbows high. Make the same figure-eight patterns with both hands in order to propel yourself forward, effectively repeating the center of the stroke.
Back Sculling (BS)
This time, keep your arms at your sides and point your fingertips back toward your toes as you propel yourself with those familiar figure-eight movements without moving your hands any wider than shoulder width.
Sighting (S)
Instead of turning your head to the side to breathe, raise your head to look forward and “sight” a landmark toward which you’ll swim. Breathe just as you would when turning to the side by inhaling before lowering your head, exhaling underwater, and learn to disrupt your stroke as minimally as possible in the process - eventually not at all.
Kicking (K)
Swim facedown using only your feet to propel you as you breathe just as you would during a freestyle stroke by rolling to the side and turning your head to catch some air. Focus on “pushing” your chest down while keeping your legs & hips up toward the surface as you practice balance & kicking technique.
Side Kicking (SK)
Swim on your side with your lower arm extended ahead of you and the upper arm resting against your side. Rest your head against your shoulder and look down keeping your head completely submerged while using only your kick to propel yourself. Rotate your head slightly when inhaling and try to keep your hips & legs high throughout as you swim a full pool length before switching sides.
Kick & Rotate (K&R)
Begin kicking on your side for 3-5 seconds then rotate onto your belly and “catch up” to your leading arm with the other arm bringing both arms out in front of you. Pull with the arm that was leading as you roll onto your opposite side. Kick for 3-5 seconds on this side, catch up with the other arm and immediately pull the previously leading arm and rotate to the opposite side. Over time, try to spend only 2 seconds at a time kicking on each side.
Stroke Counting (SC)
Target your stroke efficiency by trying to reduce the number of strokes you use to reach the opposite side of the pool. Count your strokes on your first trip across, then try to reduce the number of strokes during the next 2-3 trips across the pool by taking longer, more powerful pulls, rotating more & gliding a bit longer.
Bilateral Breathing (BB)
Swim your regular freestyle stroke while breathing during every third stroke forcing yourself to discover and improve your weaker side. If this is challenging & uncoordinated at first, hang in there - your clumsy side will improve with practice.
RPE 2
Recovery
Recovery AR
RPE 4
Easy
Recovery/Aerobic Endurance
RPE 6
Easy-Moderate
Extensive Endurance AE (Endurance)
RPE 7
Moderate
Subthreshold ME/Intensive Endurance (Sustained Power)
RPE 8
Moderate-Hard
Suprathreshold ME (Threshold)
RPE 9
Hard
Aerobic Capacity/Speed Endurance VO (VO2max)
RPE 10
All-Out
All-Out/Anaerobic AC (High Power)
RPE N/A
Sprint
Sprint NM (Burst Power)

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TR boys, have a follow up to this post, plus two other/new questions:

1) with the new tri specific plans, does the recommendation change? I'd assume no, but want to be sure.
2) with the updated U/I, I tried to plug in my old Garmin dongle/stick, but it didn't recognize it, that it only accepts 2.0, not 1.0. Is that operator error on my end?
3) I did the 20' TT today (day 1 of SSB, Low Volume), and got to the 15' point, and had to bail out; just couldn't go any longer at all. Any issue going with the rest of this week at old FTP (haven't REALLY ridden hard for a few weeks), and retest next Monday?

Thanks.

Trevor DeRuise wrote:
mjpwooo wrote:
Nate, I thought I had heard (or read) that the site had an 'online live chat' coach to assist in picking plans. Am I confused? I went to the site and didn't find any option like that.

Assuming I'm wrong (a great assumption), I'll put down my targets for 2016 here in hopes you'll be able to recommend a plan.

Completed Great Floridian on about 3 months of trainerroad workouts (Sweet Spot, followed by 8 weeks of Sustained Power). I plan to get back to very structured (tr.com workouts) after Thanksgiving. FTP was 269, weight = 180ish (would like to get this down to 175 or so). This was just before race, so things have fallen off a bit since 10/23.

A race will be an Oly in June, which will be flat and fast. The 'wrinkle' is that I want to compete in a 15k running race in February, so my run will be a priority, but I'd like to ride 3 (maybe 4?) times a week, thru the 15k. My goal for the bike for the oly will be to get as close to 60' 40k as possible. I think a realistic goal would be around 64-66 minutes, followed by a ~44' 10k (maybe faster, who knows).

Then, next A Race will be 11/8/16, a 1/2IM race, also flat and fast. I figure I don't really need to worry about this race until after my June Oly.

Thanks for any help, and you've got a huge cheerleader here in me.....

All this make sense?

I'd like to jump in here if I may :)

For your first target race in June, I'd recommend a standard Base > Build > Specialty training cycle, starting with Sweet Spot 1 & 2. Given your initial focus on the 15k run in February, stay with the Low Volume Sweet Spot plans for the Base block of training. SS 1 will have you on the bike 3 times per week, and SS 2 will up that to 4 rides per week, which should fit well with your running schedule.

Next, I'd recommend the Sustained Power Build plan. This is going to really focus on increasing your 'hour power' which is exactly what you'll need for that 40k TT goal. With the 15k run behind you at this point, consider bumping up to the Mid Volume plan version depending on the amount of time you have to train.

Finally, the Specialty plan will then take you into June for your first target event. I'd recommend utilizing the Oly Distance Specialty Plan. Our tri plans don't include run/swim workouts, but Coach Chad took these into consideration while designing the plans, so they provide an excellent template for you to work your additional workouts in, around your cycling. To put a little extra emphasis on your cycling here to help you reach that 60' 40k time, I'd recommend again stepping up the volume to the High version of this Specialty plan. Also, another thing to remember here is you want week 8 of this plan to match up with the week of your event. The final week of this plan is a taper week, so volume backs off a bit so you can regain some freshness, but there's still some intensity so you don't lose any fitness and you'll be firing on all cylinders come race day.

From here, I'd recommend taking a week or two to fully recover both physically and mentally, and then you should have about 12 weeks before the 70.3 in November. Getting back into training, I'd say to hop into the final 4 weeks of the Sustained Power Build plan again, followed by the Half Distance Specialty plan. However, given how far away this is, it'd be best to re-visit this question after your race in June in order to make the best decision here. Check out this great blog from Coach Chad on your options "between peaks." His suggestions in the 'Rebuild: 8-12 weeks between peaks' is very applicable here: 4 Ways to Train Between Cycling Peaks

Hope this helps and feel free to shoot me a message if you'd like to discuss more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any news on Bluetooth control of Tacx Smart trainers? iOS specifically.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 - Yep, for now I'd recommend just staying the original course, especially with the emphasis on cycling you're looking to take.
2 - Unfortunately the new Windows beta only supports 2.0. This article sheds a little more light on the subject: ANT Connectivity
3 - We all have bad days, but it's important to distinguish an isolated incident from the early stages of burn out. How were you feeling in the workouts leading up to the FTP test? if you felt fine before and think it was just an off day, I would say to stick with the old FTP.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
Any news on Bluetooth control of Tacx Smart trainers? iOS specifically.

They've recently created "FE-C over Bluetooth" and we will implement it. Our new device layer is almost wrapped up for Windows. The next step after that is to do a small port to iOS (that will give iOS inRide 2 support).

We'll implement FE-C over Bluetooth after that.

Sorry I don't have specific dates.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trevor DeRuise wrote:
2 - Unfortunately the new Windows beta only supports 2.0. This article sheds a little more light on the subject: ANT Connectivity
3 - We all have bad days, but it's important to distinguish an isolated incident from the early stages of burn out. How were you feeling in the workouts leading up to the FTP test? if you felt fine before and think it was just an off day, I would say to stick with the old FTP.

Re #2, am I losing a TON of functionality if I stick with 1.0?

Re #3, I haven't really been on the bike consistently for about 5 weeks, since the race. And I'm just recovering from a cold. Lastly, I probably started out a bit too hard (obviously, no probably about it!). My workouts leading up to testing were relatively non-existent, save for a few weekend rides.

Make sense?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a kickr and a year long subscription to trainer road. I have access to a computer at work, however, I only have an iPad/iPhone at home. I realize I need to create my coaches workouts on the "workout creator." This will have to be done at work on the computer. Is there anyway to do these workouts I create on the iOS app since that is all I have available at home?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate:

Tried pulling the dongle and reinserting with success last ride but it failed this morning. I could not see the InRide at all. I replaced the battery and was able to see the InRide but it never got paired. All I got was the spinny icon and could not access device settings. I can see my Wahoo tickr strap in both BT and Ant in TR, so I am confident that the dongle is working. I have updated and reinstalled the BLED112 drivers. I pulled my iphone out and was able to see and pair with the InRide through the Kurt app. Then I had the iphone app forget the InRide. Still no luck on TR. Pulled the battery again to reset the device and still cannot see the InRide on TR. I am using a Garmin speed/cadence sensor along with the InRide it is being picked up normally, along with my Garmin hr strap.

After getting up at 5 am to ride, spending the hour troubleshooting is really pretty annoying. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Don't know if this is Kurt or TR or a combo, but I would love to find a solution.

Alan Stewart
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [WIAlan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WIAlan wrote:
Nate:

Tried pulling the dongle and reinserting with success last ride but it failed this morning. I could not see the InRide at all. I replaced the battery and was able to see the InRide but it never got paired. All I got was the spinny icon and could not access device settings. I can see my Wahoo tickr strap in both BT and Ant in TR, so I am confident that the dongle is working. I have updated and reinstalled the BLED112 drivers. I pulled my iphone out and was able to see and pair with the InRide through the Kurt app. Then I had the iphone app forget the InRide. Still no luck on TR. Pulled the battery again to reset the device and still cannot see the InRide on TR. I am using a Garmin speed/cadence sensor along with the InRide it is being picked up normally, along with my Garmin hr strap.

After getting up at 5 am to ride, spending the hour troubleshooting is really pretty annoying. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Don't know if this is Kurt or TR or a combo, but I would love to find a solution.

We've had a lot of issues with the inRide. I feel your pain about it being finicky, I've spent DAYS messing with it. The entire company has probably spent a month of development time trying to make it work perfectly.

Kinetic re-wrote the internal firmware of the inRide and released it as the inRide 2. We've found the inRide 2 to work really well and not have any bugs. Kinetic is offering a free upgrade to anyone who has the inRide 1 to go to the inRide 2. There's more info on this on their support site.

Do you have a PC? Our new Windows App supports the inRide 2. We'll add support to iOS next.

If you're on iOS or mac, one thing that we've found is that the inRide 1 will crash if you pedal while you're trying to pair it, so make sure you just spin your rear wheel for a second to wake it up then just pair it without touching your bike.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, or any TR guys, if I don't want to buy a new ant stick, what am I missing out on? I have an older KK road machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate:

I am working with a windows pc and am using the beta. I have what I think is a 2.0 InRide since I just bought it about 6-8 weeks ago. Listed as T-2002 on the packaging which matches the latest rev on their website.

I had this Bluegiga dongle working all last winter with TR and a wahoo SC BT sensor without any trouble. Not sure if this might be a BT dongle issue, a TR issue or a Kurt issue. I can pair the InRide (BT) on my iphone, I can pair my wahoo tickr (BT and Ant+) on my pc, I can pair my tickr on my iphone, but I can't see the InRide on my pc mostly and when I can see it, it will not pair. I have pulled the BT dongle with TR open and with TR closed. I have restarted. I have reinstalled the Bluegiga driver.

I have done some pretty extensive poking around trying to isolate the issue and I am stumped. I am contacting Kurt now as well but I wondered if you guys had seen anything like this with the rollout of the InRide 2.0 and the TR beta.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ars

Alan Stewart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Nate, or any TR guys, if I don't want to buy a new ant stick, what am I missing out on? I have an older KK road machine.

Do you mean with the new beta?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [WIAlan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WIAlan wrote:
Nate:

I am working with a windows pc and am using the beta. I have what I think is a 2.0 InRide since I just bought it about 6-8 weeks ago. Listed as T-2002 on the packaging which matches the latest rev on their website.

I had this Bluegiga dongle working all last winter with TR and a wahoo SC BT sensor without any trouble. Not sure if this might be a BT dongle issue, a TR issue or a Kurt issue. I can pair the InRide (BT) on my iphone, I can pair my wahoo tickr (BT and Ant+) on my pc, I can pair my tickr on my iphone, but I can't see the InRide on my pc mostly and when I can see it, it will not pair. I have pulled the BT dongle with TR open and with TR closed. I have restarted. I have reinstalled the Bluegiga driver.

I have done some pretty extensive poking around trying to isolate the issue and I am stumped. I am contacting Kurt now as well but I wondered if you guys had seen anything like this with the rollout of the InRide 2.0 and the TR beta.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ars

Hey Alan, can you send this to support@trainerroad.com? We'll check out your logs and see if we can pinpoint the issue.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate:

On the way via email.

ars

Alan Stewart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
mjpwooo wrote:

Do you mean with the new beta?

Correct, Nate. Sorry about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a little like buying a brand new car. It still gets you to the same place but the new one is much nicer :).

We're also adding new features to the Windows Beta like support for more devices and the ability to pick a training plan.

But, if you're happy with your KK and old ANT stick you can keep using that :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any guesses on this working on Android?
Next month? Next summer? Forget about it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw about inRide 2 through TR Facebook page. Never could find anything on support page about it, but did simple email asking for the upgrade and they did indeed send a new one.

Unfortunately, it does not seem I can use the inRode 2 with TR unless I am missing something. I have a Mac and iOS. Last I checked, it didn't work with either one. Just the Kinetic app. Am I missing something?

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Any guesses on this working on Android?
Next month? Next summer? Forget about it?

It's hard for me to give exact timelines, but I can tell you where we're at with our platforms. Android is still very much on our roadmap and we're writing a bunch of code needed for Android right now. I also just spent $10k on Android stuff this week in preparation.

So right now we've got two blocking features before we release our new windows app as the main app for TrainerRoad.

They are:
- Powerbeam Pro (That might be done today)
- Device Relay (Formerly TrainerRelay)

There's a good chance both of those will get done next week.

For OSX, we've started development on that this week. We've got a HUGE head start as 80% of the code is shared with Windows. We've got high hopes to get that out pretty fast but again, I can't give timelines.

Android will come right after OSX. We are working on it right now as we're removing bugs and making sure all the reusable code works. That's the code that will power Android.

I wish I had about 15 more engineers; I could get all of this stuff out in parallel.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackattack wrote:
I saw about inRide 2 through TR Facebook page. Never could find anything on support page about it, but did simple email asking for the upgrade and they did indeed send a new one.

Unfortunately, it does not seem I can use the inRode 2 with TR unless I am missing something. I have a Mac and iOS. Last I checked, it didn't work with either one. Just the Kinetic app. Am I missing something?

You are correct, it only works with our new windows app available at www.trainerroad.com/install/beta. We should start work on iOS inRide2 in a week.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate,

Brand new TR user here so forgive the "basic" question. On an iPad, am I able to shrink the TR display and watch YouTube or an internet browser, or is this not possible on a tablet?

Thanks,

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:

I wish I had about 15 more engineers; I could get all of this stuff out in parallel.

Worth a read when you come up for air :-)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mythical-Man-Month-Engineering-Anniversary/dp/0201835959

Man I'm old. Amazon told me I bought that timeless classic in 1997!

Last edited by: tballco: Dec 20, 15 19:44
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [tballco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That applies to single projects, mostly.

If you are doing multiple lines of work - things are a little different.

IMO.
Quote Reply

Prev Next