Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chad. What I had in mind was swapping the entire week's worth of workouts not just the weekend rides. So that would achieve the goal of moving the bricks too (although I'm still going to do another 20 min test at the beginning of the phase). So basically instead of going week 1-6 in order it would be 2,1,4,3,6,5. It kind of works out well for me because it puts one of the brick workouts on the same weekend as a B race I was planning on racing in. Thanks for the feedback!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question since I see you've been kind enough to answer some of the STer queries. During the sweet spot base plan I don't suppose there are any disadvantages to swapping days on the weekends?

Example: SWEET SPOT BASE MID I

PLAN: SATURDAY BAXTER 1:30 SUNDAY KIOP 2:30
COMPLETED: SATURDAY KIOP 2:30 SUNDAY BAXTER 1:30

I assume the work is being done and this fits into the rest of the training plan much better for myself.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Feb 1, 16 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Quick question since I see you've been kind enough to answer some of the STer queries. During the sweet spot base plan I don't suppose there are any disadvantages to swapping days on the weekends?

Example: SWEET SPOT BASE MID I

PLAN: SATURDAY BAXTER 1:30 SUNDAY KIOP 2:30
COMPLETED: SATURDAY KIOP 2:30 SUNDAY BAXTER 1:30

I assume the work is being done and this fits into the rest of the training plan much better for myself.

as long as you're not swapping week to week around (as the TSS and IF are structured for the specific week) I see no issue, and I've been doing it myself.
Generally it comes down to whether your body is accepting of the swaps. ie. you don't want to have your long endurance ride necessarily right before your VO2 max intervals day. Do the intervals the first day and then use the long endurance ride as active recovery. In your case both are IF of .65-.67 so really no harm.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey CSH,

Every plan is malleable to some extent, and moving workouts around to best fit your level of recovery, your non-training schedule, etc. is totally in line with my intention to offer a workable framework and as much guidance as you care to indulge.

From the perspective of a coach who tries to design plans to accommodate as many athletes & training schedules as possible, everyone would train the same way and derive the greatest possible benefit out of their training time. Clearly that's not realistic, so change things as you see fit/necessary but also pay attention to how your body responds.

Often enough, you'll happen upon something that personalizes your plan in a surprisingly productive way. :-)

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad,
Along the same lines of above, what are the odds of a custom plan option becoming available? I think the plans you have created are absolutely bomber, but as you said there is some room for personalization.

For me it's as small as making a blend between the low/mid trad base. Having a way to pull the workouts in to create a custom calendar I can then follow.
That way I can use the low vol III for the Mon-Fri, and swap in the longer and harder mid vol III workout on the weekend to get some additional saddle time.

Otherwise you guys are doing great job!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Just wanted to throw a HUGE SHOUT OUT to TR Team. The app is looking amazing and over the past 12 months I can really see how dedicated you guys have been to your cause. The old interface, while functional, can't hold a candle to the new one.

Way to go guys, keep up all the great work!

Thanks man! The whole team is working extremely hard.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
Chad,
Along the same lines of above, what are the odds of a custom plan option becoming available? I think the plans you have created are absolutely bomber, but as you said there is some room for personalization.

For me it's as small as making a blend between the low/mid trad base. Having a way to pull the workouts in to create a custom calendar I can then follow.
That way I can use the low vol III for the Mon-Fri, and swap in the longer and harder mid vol III workout on the weekend to get some additional saddle time.

The first step of your request is coming soon :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fellas, had a 20' TT today. I had one last Monday, and royally stunk up the picture....I re-tested today and felt very good about the results. I started out in one particular gear, and about the 7/8 minute mark, realized my gearing was just too light. So, I upped the gearing one 'shift' and was able to hold that gear @ about 90rpm for the remainder of the ride. Does this mean that my results aren't 'valid' (for lack of a better word)? I've had a test where each 5 minute 'interval', there was a step up in effort...that's not really what happened here, effort went up @ that 7/8 minute mark, and was held.

Test results/screenshot of the workout is below (I hope....):

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
Fellas, had a 20' TT today. I had one last Monday, and royally stunk up the picture....I re-tested today and felt very good about the results. I started out in one particular gear, and about the 7/8 minute mark, realized my gearing was just too light. So, I upped the gearing one 'shift' and was able to hold that gear @ about 90rpm for the remainder of the ride. Does this mean that my results aren't 'valid' (for lack of a better word)? I've had a test where each 5 minute 'interval', there was a step up in effort...that's not really what happened here, effort went up @ that 7/8 minute mark, and was held.

Your results are still valid however if you feel you could have achieved more power earlier on then you can either retest, bump up your FTP say 5 - 10 watts or run with what you've got. Your call.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
mjpwooo wrote:

Your results are still valid however if you feel you could have achieved more power earlier on then you can either retest, bump up your FTP say 5 - 10 watts or run with what you've got. Your call.

Considering the warmup was not at all on target, I would say the result is valid. Maybe a couple of watts off but not more than 5. No more significant than the difference between a great day and an ok day.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Joining Trainerroad.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
Chad,

The first step of your request is coming soon :).

see nate, this is why you guys are amazing. can't wait to hurt people in a few months!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with what you're hearing from others in the forum here. Because you leveled off so well, I think that latter 12-13 minutes is fairly representative of your sustainable power.

And you tell us, could you have held that for another 5 minutes? I'm betting you could have. So you can either just tack on 4 or 5 watts to our estimate, or you can try to glean the average over that long, steady stretch and then reduce that by 5%.

I'd bet either method will put you within a watt or two of a slightly higher, more accurate estimate.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latest update on the beta doesn't seem stable. Device dropout (both trainer and HR) halfway thru my workout, program crashed shortly after. I can start TR now, but it can't find any devices and it crashes if i load a workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using TR for about a month now.
My trainer is about 15 years old and not listed to try and use for virtual power.
(I have contacted support and gotten some ideas, but it is trial and error and not accurate so far as I can tell)

I've been looking to get a better trainer on the used market.
I see the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine recommended; so far I've seen them go a little out of my price range.
Except maybe some older ones I've seen that have a blue or black frame, does that use the same resistance unit?

It seems that Cycleops Fluid2 and the 1Up Usa models might be obtainable in my cheap price range.

Are these decent enough with the power curves to work well enough for TR?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I've been using TR for about a month now.
My trainer is about 15 years old and not listed to try and use for virtual power.
(I have contacted support and gotten some ideas, but it is trial and error and not accurate so far as I can tell)

I've been looking to get a better trainer on the used market.
I see the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine recommended; so far I've seen them go a little out of my price range.
Except maybe some older ones I've seen that have a blue or black frame, does that use the same resistance unit?

It seems that Cycleops Fluid2 and the 1Up Usa models might be obtainable in my cheap price range.

KKRM have gotten silly, have you looked at Tacx, they seem to be filling the price point KKRM held with some newer features.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:

The Fluid 2 works fine with TR. I've got one but have recently upgraded to a Wahoo Kickr plus now have a power meter. The only issue and it's minor is short high power segments e.g. 15 seconds at 200% FTP. You probably won't match the target as you'll still be spinning up to speed whereas with a power meter you get the high power showing up instantly i.e. you're putting a lot of torque on the pedals before the trainer has got up to speed.

The Fluid 2 with TR needs warming up for at least 5 minutes before power readings are reliable. The oil inside has to warm up.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on the fluid 2, it needs a warm up. I went from using one with virtual power to a crank based power meter, and it actually can take about 10 to 15 minutes to stabilize from a resistance standpoint. Sometimes Even in hard intervals the resistance increases through the interval, where i need to slow cadence 3 to 4 rpms to maintain the same power.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just signed on last week and have 3 workouts under my belt so far. Wow, what the hell took me so long?! I was using zwift for a year and really enjoyed it. It helped me appreciate the trainer. But having this type of structure, for me, is incredible. I'm a guy who doesn't train with power (yet) and just got a tacx bushido so my new appreciation for structured workouts is just amazing. I love getting on the trainer now! Thanks guys!

Really hope an Android app is coming soon!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [npompei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just wondering if anyone is running TrainerRoad on a standard Microsoft Surface 3 (not pro). Thinking of upgrading my crappy old netbook to something more modern for a number of reasons.

I was wondering if you can use the integrated BT chip to connect to BT sensors. The TrainerRoad help pages seem to suggest this is possible with an iPad and the iOS app, but for the Windows app you might need a specific BT Dongle. Is that still the case with the updated Windows release of TR?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
Latest update on the beta doesn't seem stable. Device dropout (both trainer and HR) halfway thru my workout, program crashed shortly after. I can start TR now, but it can't find any devices and it crashes if i load a workout.

That's no good! We havn't had a report of this yet. Could you email support@trainerroad.com and let them know what happened?

In general if you experience drop outs we generally think it's a interference issue, especially if you're getting them from both the trainer and HR at the same time. But if the program crashed, then that's our fault. There should be some logs that support can check out that should help us figure out what the issue is.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
That's no good! We havn't had a report of this yet. Could you email support@trainerroad.com and let them know what happened?

In general if you experience drop outs we generally think it's a interference issue, especially if you're getting them from both the trainer and HR at the same time. But if the program crashed, then that's our fault. There should be some logs that support can check out that should help us figure out what the issue is.

I'll email support. I haven't hade connectivity issues earlier, and when I switched to the non-beta version it was all fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ni Nate

I'm currently using TR 2.7.5 on MAC OSX, with Tacx Vortex on latest fw and Garmin Vector 2S. I'm using the PowerMatch function but getting big resistance spikes during workouts eg during a recovery segment of 135w the resistance is huge that 135w is impossible unless going into 1st gear, same at the other end, where segment is 310w the resistance is so high that you are hitting 400w+ to even get the pedals to turn, but then other parts of the workout are fine for same recovery and interval! I see others reporting same. Is there a tweak/fix to the algorithm going to be released soon?
Last edited by: viperlogic: Feb 5, 16 4:30
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
viperlogic wrote:
Ni Nate

I'm currently using TR 2.7.5 on MAC OSX, with Tacx Vortex on latest fw and Garmin Vector 2S. I'm using the PowerMatch function but getting big resistance spikes during workouts eg during a recovery segment of 135w the resistance is huge that 135w is impossible unless going into 1st gear, same at the other end, where segment is 310w the resistance is so high that you are hitting 400w+ to even get the pedals to turn, but then other parts of the workout are fine for same recovery and interval! I see others reporting same. Is there a tweak/fix to the algorithm going to be released soon?

+1

Mostly if I'm having a bad day and can't through an interval. Impossible to restart. Using vectors to control kickr. Not sure where the issue is.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off I want to say thanks for the awesome product, the program itself, the great support and the podcast. All of those has helped me.

Very simple question, I have been following a plan using virtual power, (I think there might be an issue with my trainer, power numbers are way too low, but who cares what the number is as long as its consistent for training)

Now I have been lucky enough to be able to get a powermeter, so should I do a new ftp test asap and then adjust from there, or keep doing my planned workouts and monitor what the power is and compare it what the real power numbers are and retest when I can.

thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [viperlogic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
viperlogic wrote:
Ni Nate

I had same issue with Quarq and Powerbeam, massive spikes that made it impossible to use. TR never figured out the issue.

Eventually had to disable Quarq controlling Powerbeam and just let TR manage it. Works great since.
Quote Reply

Prev Next