Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [3DKiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We automatically save the results if it's a valid spin down.

When did you last use the spin down? You can get the latest version at http://www.trainerroad.com/install. It's now out of beta.

We had a bug a couple months ago where the Kickr would often error on spin down. That's been fixed now.

What's an advanced Kickr spindown? I haven't heard of that before.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:

Apparently it's available only in the Wahoo Fitness or Utility app for ios device. That's what Wahoo support have told me to do. I'm now stuck in limbo as I don't have an ios device or know anyone that does.

I'll install the new version right away. I've been getting the spindown error the last couple of Betas.

Update: I was able to do a spindown with the new Trainerroad version. I'm still not calibrated correctly and power is way off in Erg mode. Doing a spindown with the Wahoo utility has it stuck on 0 Ticks every time rather than some sort of offset as it should be.

Thanks
Last edited by: 3DKiwi: Jan 9, 16 1:34
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
This is a carry over from another thread but more likely to get a response here;

Is there an ETA for when TR application for Mac/iOS will support KK In-ride version 2? Currently the mac version does not, through I understand the windows beta may?

didnt see a response to this question from 2 pages back. Trevor or Nate care to take a shot? I've got two new users ready to sign up as soon as its ready to go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, I don't know if this has been brought up before but what about Chromebook compatibilty? I got an 11 inch Chromebook on Black Friday sale and it's replaced both my Windows laptop and my Ipad. The only thing I use the laptop for is TrainerRoad. As you probably know, almost everything on the Chromebook is in the cloud. If you develop a cloud system, the same system would probably work on all formats.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

Apparently it's available only in the Wahoo Fitness or Utility app for ios device. That's what Wahoo support have told me to do. I'm now stuck in limbo as I don't have an ios device or know anyone that does.

I'll install the new version right away. I've been getting the spindown error the last couple of Betas.

Update: I was able to do a spindown with the new Trainerroad version. I'm still not calibrated correctly and power is way off in Erg mode. Doing a spindown with the Wahoo utility has it stuck on 0 Ticks every time rather than some sort of offset as it should be.

Thanks

if you're getting a 0 offset using the wahoo utility app, which your update seems to suggest, this looks like a wahoo problem not a TR problem. give the boys at Wahoo a call, they can pull your spindown data and check and see what is going on
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [NateUT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NateUT wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

Thanks!!! Did you know we have a podcast? It's called "Ask a Cycling Coach" and people send in questions and Chad answers them.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-cycling-coach-trainerroad/id1035433041?mt=2

My favorite cycling/triathlon podcast! :)

Thanks Nate, Chad, and the rest of the team for the new triathlon base and build plans. I've already updated my 2016 training calendar with the new plan and will be starting on the half build in February on my way to my first 70.3 at Chattanooga in May. Just like last year, I'm already seeing some good gains in form as well as FTP as I get towards the end of the build phase!

Just curious; did you do the sustained power build last year? I'm a bit on the fence about the new tri build plans. Especially those long Saturday rides (full, high-volume) which are going to be mind-numbing if the weather doesn't allow me to get outside. Sustained power tops out at 3h rides max, which is a lot more bearable. The only downside is that it will be hard to mix in a long run with the quality session on Saturday.

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
3DKiwi wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

Thanks

if you're getting a 0 offset using the wahoo utility app, which your update seems to suggest, this looks like a wahoo problem not a TR problem. give the boys at Wahoo a call, they can pull your spindown data and check and see what is going on

I've got a support ticket in with Wahoo. I'm aware that this isn't a TR problem. Yeah all offsets using the Wahoo Utility or Fitness app to do a Spindown give an offset of 0. I'm waiting to hear back after I said I don't have or know anyone with an ios device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All,
(apologies for double-posting)

your help is appreciated.

I managed to get my Quarq to control my Kickr on ERG mode in TrainerRoad. It's my first time doing this and I'm not sure that this how it's supposed to work. Power was fluctuating to much for my taste, althoug around the target power. Picture is attached below.

Can you please confirm that this how it's supposed to work or help me point to where the problem could be?

Thanks,
T

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [trihugger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihugger wrote:
Hi All,

I managed to get my Quarq to control my Kickr on ERG mode in TrainerRoad. It's my first time doing this and I'm not sure that this how it's supposed to work. Power was fluctuating to much for my taste, althoug around the target power. Picture is attached below.

Can you please confirm that this how it's supposed to work or help me point to where the problem could be?

Thanks,
T

I've had similar results trying to control my new Kickr Snap with my 4iiii power meter. While the average power comes out pretty much matching the required power the ups and downs doing the segment are too extreme e.g. having to put out up to 30 watts or more than what's required. Not so bad if the power requirement is less than my FTP but if I'm doing intervals over my FTP then those overages can be really hard and can put undue strain on my knees. I can get a smoother graph matching the required power using the Kickr in standard mode or on my old Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer. The whole idea of buying a smart trainer was to use it with Trainerroad and in ERG mode where I didn't have to have to monitor my power all the time.

Be interesting to hear what Nate has to say and if there's any plans to fine tune Powermatch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank 3DKiwi... same thing here: What's the point of going with a smart training if the ERG is not working as it should... Btw, don;t you think that this would be an issue of the Kickr rather than Trainerroad?

I opened a support request ticket with the Kickr guys, I will update on whatever they have to say about this.
Thanks,
T
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [trihugger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys - I'm going to bring down the high quality of questions on this thread for a second.

For some reason, I can't get my garmin HRM to communicate and display heart rate data in Trainer Road.. Did a bit of research and couldn't find anything to troubleshoot this specific issue and thought I'd check here as I'm sure I'm doing something wrong vs it not being possible.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
Hey guys - I'm going to bring down the high quality of questions on this thread for a second.

For some reason, I can't get my garmin HRM to communicate and display heart rate data in Trainer Road.. Did a bit of research and couldn't find anything to troubleshoot this specific issue and thought I'd check here as I'm sure I'm doing something wrong vs it not being possible.

Thanks

Did you try a new battery? Is your HRM working with an other device such as a watch?
Last edited by: Livio Livius: Jan 11, 16 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
bigredrude wrote:

Thanks

Did you try a new battery? Is your HRM working with an other device such as a watch?

yes - it works fine with my watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you checked out this article by chance? ANT+ Heart Rate Monitor

Also, is the device picking up on other devices? I.e. your Garmin head unit?

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trevor DeRuise wrote:
Have you checked out this article by chance? ANT+ Heart Rate Monitor

Also, is the device picking up on other devices? I.e. your Garmin head unit?

I think the article lead me to one I hadn't seen: http://support.trainerroad.com/...914-ANT-Connectivity which made me realize I need a Wahoo ANT+ Key . Looks like it should work once I get my hands on one..

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
trihugger wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks,
T

I've had similar results trying to control my new Kickr Snap with my 4iiii power meter. While the average power comes out pretty much matching the required power the ups and downs doing the segment are too extreme e.g. having to put out up to 30 watts or more than what's required. Not so bad if the power requirement is less than my FTP but if I'm doing intervals over my FTP then those overages can be really hard and can put undue strain on my knees. I can get a smoother graph matching the required power using the Kickr in standard mode or on my old Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer. The whole idea of buying a smart trainer was to use it with Trainerroad and in ERG mode where I didn't have to have to monitor my power all the time.

Be interesting to hear what Nate has to say and if there's any plans to fine tune Powermatch.

What are you using for power smoothing? May help?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:

3 seconds. Guess I can try a longer amount and see if that makes any difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

3 seconds. Guess I can try a longer amount and see if that makes any difference.

see if it does, but 3s should be sufficient to not get blips like that. If you were at zero, i might change it to 3s to see, but that certainly looks weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
3DKiwi wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

see if it does, but 3s should be sufficient to not get blips like that. If you were at zero, i might change it to 3s to see, but that certainly looks weird.

Part of the problem is the program has to go from a pretty rough actual power curve and come up with something smooth. If you look at things going the other way, here's today's workout using just the Kickr power. I unpaired the power meter. The power curve on Trainerroad is smooth as shown yet the power curve on Garmin connect from my power meter is rough. Generally the workout felt very smooth except when I changed cadence to do some of the drills. I'm fine with how the actual power on Garmin Connect has come out and this is probably smoother than me trying to match the target power using the Kickr in standard mode and constantly having to monitor my power.

Had to lower the intensity as the Kickr is understating the power. Still waiting on Wahoo support to help me out.

Trainerroad - data from Kickr Snap

Garmin Connect - data from 4iiii power meter.

Last edited by: 3DKiwi: Jan 11, 16 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3DKiwi wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
3DKiwi wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

Part of the problem is the program has to go from a pretty rough actual power curve and come up with something smooth. If you look at things going the other way, here's today's workout using just the Kickr power. I unpaired the power meter. The power curve on Trainerroad is smooth as shown yet the power curve on Garmin connect from my power meter is rough. Generally the workout felt very smooth except when I changed cadence to do some of the drills. I'm fine with how the actual power on Garmin Connect has come out and this is probably smoother than me trying to match the target power using the Kickr in standard mode and constantly having to monitor my power.

Had to lower the intensity as the Kickr is understating the power. Still waiting on Wahoo support to help me out.

Trainerroad - data from Kickr Snap

Garmin Connect - data from 4iiii power meter.

IME cadence changes really mess with the power profile. Either the damn Kickr can't compensate fast enough and over compensates for the changes or the TR software can't. My guess is the former since I've seen computrainer controlled intervals read by a power meter that look much much smoother.

BTW, I have a kickr and only ride it in erg mode for tempo or endurance rides or for short intervals such as 1min on/off or 30 s on/off. Anything sustained around threshold or v02max i put in resistance mode. I got sick of 30 watt swings on either side of threshold during those intervals.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen similar issues with cadence changes. If I'm doing an interval and I go from seated to standing I usually see a drop in cadence on the order of 20 RPM. This seems to cause a lot of issues in the software. Either it can't increase resistance enough to hit the targets at the lower cadence, or when I sit back down and increase the cadence back up I see a big spike in resistance. It seems to have particular trouble at higher powers. I am wondering if there is some logic that limits the offset that can be applied when using powermatch? I am using a tacx vortex with a power2max controlling it and 5 second power averaging.

Here is an example of the trainer not increasing power while standing - see the first two intervals. The second two I did not stand and there were no issues.

Here is one where the power did not increase enough when standing and then didn't decrease when I sat back down - see the dip in power and then subsequent spike in the second higher intensity interval.

Also note that it doesn't seem to log the cadence from the power2max correctly. There is no problem on my garmin.
Last edited by: cobra_kai: Jan 11, 16 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
This is a carry over from another thread but more likely to get a response here;

Is there an ETA for when TR application for Mac/iOS will support KK In-ride version 2? Currently the mac version does not, through I understand the windows beta may?

didnt see a response to this question from 2 pages back. Trevor or Nate care to take a shot? I've got two new users ready to sign up as soon as its ready to go!

iOS is next for inRide2. We're launching the ability to pick training plans on the website soon. Once that's done the iOS inRide 2 update is next.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Chris,

The kickr really smooths power data. I get the same affect when I compare my Stages/Quarq with the Kickr.

You'd be a good candidate for our powermatch feature. It will read in the power from your PM and calculate the difference between that and the Kickr. It will then apply an offset to the Kickr so that your power numbers line up.

Couple things to note about power match:

1) You should have a relatively stable cadence. If you're going all over the place it will be hard to lock in a wattage. This usually isn't a problem with triathletes.

2) You'll feel some of the smaller changes. Some people like that feeling, they say it feels more like the road. Some people don't like it and they want the super smooth experience of just the Kickr by itself.

Let me know if you have any questions.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably a stupid question but does anyone know how the HR zones are calculated on TrainerRoad? I ask only out of curiosity because my "Sweet Spot" zone is listed on there as 154-156 which is a very tight window.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,

Regarding the powermatch, you said "It will then apply an offset to the Kickr so that your power numbers line up."

I have one of the poorly calibrated Kickrs and currently use powermatch off of my Quarq. I am curious whether the program has the ability to track the offset over a number of rides and create a "best estimate" of the offset to use when the Quarq is not present. As the weather turns, I would like to put a bike w/o a power meter on the Kickr, so I don't have to do the on-the-trainer/off-the-trainer swap a couple times a week when going between outdoor and indoor rides.

Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next