Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [martyhogan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martyhogan wrote:
I'm a new user in my 4th week and I have noticed when comparing my graphs to others, my power output seems to have a lot more up and down variation:

compared to others who seem to have a much smoother output:

Could there be something wrong with my setup? Or is this a matter of skill?
I am using a Quarq powermeter with the bike mounted on a Kinetic Roadmachine 2.0

No, you're good! The bottom graph is the power output of a Kickr (I'm guessing, maybe a CT). The Kickr artificially smooths your data. I ride with both a Kickr and Quarq at the same time and my graph looks semi close to yours. You could do a better job pacing those last two intervals though. That will come in time as you get better at locking in a power.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can it support two riders or do we still need to run the old version for a second rider?

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
Can it support two riders or do we still need to run the old version for a second rider?

Still the old version for a second rider :(.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the late response to questions on this thread. I was on vacation and I promised my wife not to work on it :).

If I missed anyone's question I'm sorry, please just ping me again and I'll jump right on it!

Thanks everyone who helped answer people's questions :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I wasn't as accurate as I could have been during my first 20 min test. I don't think I went hard enough on that first 5 min bump. Of course I went hard enough to hate my life the last few minutes of the test.

I've never done any kind of structured training like this before. The gains I've been seeing on a day to day basis are remarkable (to me). I can't wait to see how this works out for me long term. I've got my eye on the prize and my next 'A' race isn't until 2017 as I've been away from tri for about 4 years.

I thought I used to work on the bike.... I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [M.S.ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M.S.ironman wrote:
I'm pretty sure I wasn't as accurate as I could have been during my first 20 min test. I don't think I went hard enough on that first 5 min bump. Of course I went hard enough to hate my life the last few minutes of the test.

I've never done any kind of structured training like this before. The gains I've been seeing on a day to day basis are remarkable (to me). I can't wait to see how this works out for me long term. I've got my eye on the prize and my next 'A' race isn't until 2017 as I've been away from tri for about 4 years.

I thought I used to work on the bike.... I was wrong.

Ha! Awesome! Yah, I'm the same way. Even when I ride outside now I'll sorta pull up on myself during a climb and be like "Well I wouldn't have done that inside, you need to HTFU NATE!!"

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoy TR as my first winter with it almost over.

Normally I REALLY hate the trainer. But the Trainer road made my workouts the same as enjoyable as informative, and I hope I am a better cyclist now.

The trainer road finally convinced me to buy PM and do not rely on virtual power only.
So, after installing my Stages crank I ran FTP test again, and of course my numbers came up more modest. But I do not worry about it, :)) I will continue to use it until the open air season.

Here is my question.

The problem is that I dont have specific plans to race for this year. But I want to become better cyclist, something like ride flat century in about 5 hrs.
I think, I have endurance, but now speed for the long distances. My long distance rides last year are at 16.5-17mph, it makes a century over 6hrs.
I think it is to early to build my power profile, just don't have enough data.

So, what specialty plan do I pick?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Chad, Nate.

I'll be finishing my sustained power build (low volume) in two weeks, at which point I've been on TR plans for a total 20 weeks after SS 1 & 2. With the exception of Christmas week, I've been able to get on the bike consistently without missing one of the workouts, and its paying off really well (boosted FTP from 210 to 261 in the 5 months and still seeing progress).

Now, I will have to go on a Business trip for roughly four weeks directly after the end of the sustained power build. The first week of that I won't have any chance at working out. During the second week of the trip I've booked a hotel with a stationary bike (not sure if it will show watts), where I hope to be able to put 2 workouts in, followed by another 9 days without any bike. The last three days I'll also have an opportunity to put in one workout. I know this is not optimal, but I have to do it this way.

Questions:
1) Should I maybe replace the last (recovery) week from sustained power build with some more stressful workouts given that I'll have a complete week off afterwards? Right now I feel like my body could very well handle that.
2) What kind of workouts should I be doing in the hotels to keep my FTP as high as possible? If I had watts available on the trainer, I think I'd go for 2x20 @ 100% FTP, does that make sense? If I don't have watts, what would you suggest?

Thanks for the great support!
Last edited by: leschaf: Mar 3, 16 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there, so I'm guessing you've completed some Base & Build training and now need a little guidance in terms of the training that will polish up your more basic capabilities. If a flat century is what you're planning, the 40k TT plan is all about lifting your steady-state power, much more so than the road race plans, and is likely your best bet. Just disregard any of the aero recommendations (or do them in your drops) that crop up and I'm betting you'll crack that 5 hour mark. ;)

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chadtimmerman wrote:
Hey there, so I'm guessing you've completed some Base & Build training and now need a little guidance in terms of the training that will polish up your more basic capabilities. If a flat century is what you're planning, the 40k TT plan is all about lifting your steady-state power, much more so than the road race plans, and is likely your best bet. Just disregard any of the aero recommendations (or do them in your drops) that crop up and I'm betting you'll crack that 5 hour mark. ;)

thanks! i will look at 40K TT plans... I did not even thought about them.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [leschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, Leschaf,

First off, great job, seriously. That's a huge improvement in FTP, along the lines of 20% which is pretty amazing and makes me feel like we're definitely on the right track here at TR. :)

As far as question 1, yes. Sounds like you haven't reached a point where the idea of another week is frightening which tells me you probably aren't too far overreached to make another week reasonably productive. And the fact that you get to "rest" for a week is good to know too, but don't underestimate the stress that comes with travel, hotel beds & on-the-road food, work stress, i.e. life off the bike. All I'm saying is, don't bury yourself too deeply if the tolls of travel are as hard on you as they are on me.

Regarding your second question, I'd recommend trying to simulate the early weeks (at least the 3 key workouts) of whichever specialty plan you're aiming to resume when you're done traveling, even if you're going to restart that plan when you get back. By now, you probably have enough experience to equate your RPE with actual watts, so just ride by feel and try to keep the workouts somewhat in line with the key aspects of the scheduled workouts.

Best of luck, and keep up the great work!

Last edited by: chadtimmerman: Mar 3, 16 12:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Chad, been on TR since middle of January, tested 203 FTP, and have been on the High Intensity Triathlon Plan for the last 6 weeks. I just retested and my FTP went to 230. Should I start the plan over with week 1 and the new FTP, drop back to week 3 with the new FTP, or continue on with week 7 with the new FTP? I have 5 weeks until my 70.3.

Thanks for an awesome product!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Allen, I'm not sure which phase of training you're in - base, build or specialty? And thanks for saying so!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High Volume Triathlon Plan. It's the Specialty Plan

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
High Volume Triathlon Plan. It's the Specialty Plan

Thanks, Allen. In that case, with 5 weeks to go I think your suggestion of dropping back to week 3 is the right way to go (with your new FTP). This way, you'll get weeks 3, 5 & 6 for some additional loading and then have your 2 weeks of taper leading up to your race.

Best of luck and great job with the >10% improvement you've already banked! Let us all know how things go, Allen.

Last edited by: chadtimmerman: Mar 4, 16 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad, Curious to see your opinion on incorporating outdoor rides.
First- I am trying to decide a strategy for incorporating outdoor rides to my plan in the coming months. I am finishing up Sustained power build (Low Volume) in two weeks, going to be starting Full Distance Tri power build (mid volume). I see three options-
1- do the long Saturday rides every other week(weeks1,3,5,7) outside
2- do the mid range aerobic endurance rides every other week (weeks 2,4, 6,8) outside
3- do the weekly brick ride outside.

for time purposes I am leaning toward option 1 or 2, but would like to get your thoughts on the most effective manner.

Thanks
Quote Reply
TrainerRoad 20% Price Increase ? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just noticed TrainerRoad hiked the prices by 20%.
Just wondered when that happened?
Subscribed at $10 now it is $12/month.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Chad, Curious to see your opinion on incorporating outdoor rides.
First- I am trying to decide a strategy for incorporating outdoor rides to my plan in the coming months. I am finishing up Sustained power build (Low Volume) in two weeks, going to be starting Full Distance Tri power build (mid volume). I see three options-
1- do the long Saturday rides every other week(weeks1,3,5,7) outside
2- do the mid range aerobic endurance rides every other week (weeks 2,4, 6,8) outside
3- do the weekly brick ride outside.

for time purposes I am leaning toward option 1 or 2, but would like to get your thoughts on the most effective manner.

Thanks

Great timing! We just discussed this on the podcast so I'll say now what I said then. I honestly expect nearly all riders to do anything over 4 hours (even 3) outdoors. That's not to say you have to, just that I'm really impressed/terrified by anyone who can do steady-state, aerobic work for so many hours on end.

The upside is that they're getting probably 1.5x the outdoor quality when they ride indoors, but the downside is well, that's a long time to ride indoors. So for instance, I've scheduled some 5- and even 6-hour rides in the upcoming Tri Specialty Full-Distance (high-volume) plans, but I don't really expect anyone to ride indoors for 6 straight hours unless they're chasing a 9-hour bike split.

So in the case of a triathlete going after a 6-hour bike split, 4 hours on the trainer with no breaks will put you in the same realm of stress as what you'd likely face during a 6-hour outdoor bike leg.

Short of this is that using those long, weekend rides to get outdoors is a good idea on several levels but not requisite. My view on this has always been, "Train quality indoors, train quantity outdoors", because even though I'm potentially the single biggest advocate for indoor training, I still recognize all the benefit, enjoyment and variety that outdoor riding provides.

Then with the shorter rides, you just have to decide how high you can keep the quality should you decide to do them outdoors - pretty easy with Endurance & Tempo rides, increasingly difficult as you ascend into Sweet Spot & higher territory.

Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad 20% Price Increase ? [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrickMick wrote:

We raised our monthly price to $12 almost a year ago. Our yearly price is still $99.

Anyone who kept their subscription during that time is locked into their lower price. If you suspend and come back you'll pay what ever the price is when you come back.

I know any price change is hard, but a lot has changed over the last three years for TrainerRoad too. I still believe we're the best value in cycling and continue to add more and more value to our customers.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad 20% Price Increase ? [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Okay, I never noticed as I was a $10 subscriber. I guess you grandfathered the earlier subscribers.

I only noticed when I got kicked out from TrainerRoad after I switched from CC to PayPal but it seems there are processing errors with PayPal?
Anyway it did not work.

When I tried to renew it was the first time I noticed it is at $12.
I have an email into your support crew asking them to check the PayPal issue.

Nate Pearson wrote:
BrickMick wrote:

We raised our monthly price to $12 almost a year ago. Our yearly price is still $99.

Anyone who kept their subscription during that time is locked into their lower price. If you suspend and come back you'll pay what ever the price is when you come back.

I know any price change is hard, but a lot has changed over the last three years for TrainerRoad too. I still believe we're the best value in cycling and continue to add more and more value to our customers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer Road - Worth it for the offseason months

Sweet Spot Base ->T.O.S. -> Recovery Week-> Boom

Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad 20% Price Increase ? [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there plans to create an easy way to import TR plans into TrainingPeaks?

Great software, thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad 20% Price Increase ? [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have to convince me. I am a big fan already.

kppolich wrote:
Trainer Road - Worth it for the offseason months
Sweet Spot Base ->T.O.S. -> Recovery Week-> Boom
Last edited by: BrickMick: Mar 4, 16 16:06
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad 20% Price Increase ? [.david.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're working on execution of plans in our software right now :). We aren't planning on exporting them to TrainingPeaks right now.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrickMick wrote:

Okay, I never noticed as I was a $10 subscriber. I guess you grandfathered the earlier subscribers.

I only noticed when I got kicked out from TrainerRoad after I switched from CC to PayPal but it seems there are processing errors with PayPal?
Anyway it did not work.

When I tried to renew it was the first time I noticed it is at $12.
I have an email into your support crew asking them to check the PayPal issue.

Nate Pearson wrote:
BrickMick wrote:

If you've been a customer and it switched you when you went into paypal then we'll fix that. Sorry about the issue, support will get it handled. If you're not happy with what they tell you message me directly and I'll handle it.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next