Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Premier Tactical
Quote | Reply
I think this thing looks awesome. Long and low with good fit options, an intelligent minimal design much like Canyon/Trek's upper offerings, and an extremely good stock package for the price. I hope people buy this thing, because I would love to see this succeed.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...roletariat_6130.html









'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Last edited by: georged: Dec 1, 16 17:23
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a deal....you get the race wheels, DI2, hard shell travel case, pioneer power meter....not to mention a pretty cool bike for all of $5500. Frodo could break 7:35 at Roth on this package.


From their website:

Note: Equipment with Shimano Ultegra DI2, Rear Storage, Hard Travel Case, front and rear center pull brakes, fully adjustable cockpit, race tires, Optimized race chain, Pioneer Powermeter, 88 mm Front Carbon Clincher Wheel and Full Carbon Clincher Disk Wheels are included with bike purchase! Five (5) year bike warranty.
Nice work Dennis. Hope it all goes smoothly on the business front.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my hot take:

Pros:
-Looks good
-Probably pretty aero
-Brakes look well thought out
-Smart flat storage integration
-Long low geometry
-The ability to adjust the fork is pretty trick. One other manufacturer has done this but I can't immediately remember who.
-I LOVE the idea of not having to remove the stem/base bar for travel. Will probably buy the case tbh.
-Amazing value. Crazy value really.

Cons:
-Open-mold rims with no aero data at this time
-For "unknown" rims, I would have much preferred aluminum/carbon hybrids. I'd trust those. I flat out won't ride open-mold carbon rims
-Horizontal dropouts -_-
-No tilt adjustment on the basebar

Disclaimer: I often promise photos fully intending to provide them and then get distracted. Sorry in advance :)
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
I think this thing looks awesome. Long and low with good fit options, an intelligent minimal design much like Canyon/Trek's upper offerings, and an extremely good stock package for the price. I hope people buy this thing, because I would love to see this succeed.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...roletariat_6130.html










Bike looks awesome. They need to work on their searchability on the web. (I think that means bribing google). Took me a while to find their website.

Edit: and I still havent.. apparently there is a different "premier cycles" out there.
Last edited by: davejustdave: Dec 1, 16 18:48
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.PremierHolding.org

*******************
Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierHolding.org
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments.

Just one point on the wheels.

When I told Dan they were open mold - I may have been a bit too non-specific. I just meant that PremierBike did not have anything to do with the design etc.. We went with one of the largest private label manufacturers around, they have been in business since 2010 and make thousands of wheels each year under many labels; we specified the hubs and spokes and they are making ours right along the same production line as many brands you see every day.

These are very high quality wheels with a two year warranty. I just did not want anyone to think we were trying to claim something that was not accurate.

*******************
Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierHolding.org
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
www.PremierHolding.org

Thanks for that!


Googling "tactical bike" brought up some odd stuff. Like bikes with knives on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Long low geometry


Proportionally, but there's nothing low about a min stack of 565 for the product line as a whole. In fact I can't think of any bike that has a min stack that high in its smallest size.

The open mold wheels are also a non starter for me. The entire line of defense from these component profiteers about the quality of their factories and the volume of products per annum is getting old. It doesn't mean anything. My guess is the wheels in general and the brake tracks in particular are trash at best and dangerous at worst, like others of this ilk.

But who cares? At this price point, might as well keep them to serve as a back up during the next major Zipp recall. Assuming this bike doesn't turn out to just completely suck -- which isn't an assumption any of us can or should make at this point -- there isn't much competition on price value in the market today, even among the Alibaba contingent.

I love the clean design aesthetic, but I don't understand not having some sort of integrated hydration / nutrition solution -- at least some bosses on the stem or a bridge between the pads. And no trash can? No ham sandwich compartment?

Aside from all that, it's nice to see another rim brake upstart in this space to take on the lying, manipulative companies who are trying to sell us slow bikes with hub disc braking. The more fresh rim brake bikes in circulation, the better. I wish this guy luck. Count me in for one of his chains.
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Dec 1, 16 20:11
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Long low geometry


Proportionally, but there's nothing low about a min stack of 565 for the product line as a whole. In fact I can't think of any bike that has a min stack that high in its smallest size.

The open mold wheels are also a non starter for me. The entire line of defense from these component profiteers about the quality of their factories and the volume of products per annum is getting old. It doesn't mean anything. My guess is the wheels in general and the brake tracks in particular are trash at best and dangerous at worst, like others of this ilk.

But who cares? At this price point, might as well keep them to serve as a back up during the next major Zipp recall. Assuming this bike doesn't turn out to just completely suck -- which isn't an assumption any of us can or should make at this point -- there isn't much competition on price value in the market today, even among the Alibaba contingent.

I love the clean design aesthetic, but I don't understand not having some sort of integrated hydration / nutrition solution -- at least some bosses on the stem or a bridge between the pads. And no trash can? No ham sandwich compartment?

Aside from all that, it's nice to see another rim brake upstart in this space to take on the lying, manipulative companies who are trying to sell us slow bikes with hub disc braking. The more fresh rim brake bikes in circulation, the better. I wish this guy luck. Count me in for one of his chains.


I bet your life is awesome and you have many fulfilling relationships.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At last a new bike I can stomach the sight of! I'm excited by the design but would hold off for the frameset option, because..

One leg power metering as stock. I'd rather have the money off the price and put it towards a crank, hub or dual-sided system. I don't know anything about this Pioneer meter.. can another module be added to the opposite side?

Deep wheels included as stock. I would think know many potential customers will already have race day wheels. No doubt a lot of folk will appreciate having these though, just not me.

No extension tilt as above. Could mitigate this if they accept standard extensions so I can fit J bend in reverse but it is a bit of a bodge for me on a new bike.

Not maybe as long and low as Dan is making out. I'm an Alien officially but only just scrape onto the Small for reach, Medium has too much stack for me. Shame there isn't any info about STA although it looks pretty steep with the offset seat post, but can't tell for sure. But pad x/y isn't the full story if you can't put your arse in the right place, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

But I really like a lot of the design concepts and as I say I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a frameset option.. but I'd probably want my own bars on there.

Good luck Dan, this is way above the P5X, Omni and Diamondhog in my reckoning.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Here's my hot take:

Pros:
-Looks good
-Probably pretty aero
-Brakes look well thought out
-Smart flat storage integration
-Long low geometry
-The ability to adjust the fork is pretty trick. One other manufacturer has done this but I can't immediately remember who.
-I LOVE the idea of not having to remove the stem/base bar for travel. Will probably buy the case tbh.
-Amazing value. Crazy value really.

Cons:
-Open-mold rims with no aero data at this time
-For "unknown" rims, I would have much preferred aluminum/carbon hybrids. I'd trust those. I flat out won't ride open-mold carbon rims
-Horizontal dropouts -_-
-No tilt adjustment on the basebar
Another manufacturer who's had adjustable rake on some of their bikes for years is Canyon. I think it was introduced on their previous generation Aeroad and I think it's on their current Aeroad and Speedmax bikes.

Looks like a good bike and a very good price but I agree with you on the cons, especially the lack of ability to tilt the basebar/extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should have been tested against a Felt IA with an integrated front brake: apples-to-apples. Nice machine though.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
One leg power metering as stock. I'd rather have the money off the price and put it towards a crank, hub or dual-sided system. I don't know anything about this Pioneer meter.. can another module be added to the opposite side?



Yup. You can upgrade from single to Dual.

http://www.clevertraining.com/...er-meter-upgrade-kit
Last edited by: LAI: Dec 2, 16 3:20
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
At last a new bike I can stomach the sight of! I'm excited by the design but would hold off for the frameset option, because..

One leg power metering as stock. I'd rather have the money off the price and put it towards a crank, hub or dual-sided system. I don't know anything about this Pioneer meter.. can another module be added to the opposite side?

Deep wheels included as stock. I would think know many potential customers will already have race day wheels. No doubt a lot of folk will appreciate having these though, just not me.

No extension tilt as above. Could mitigate this if they accept standard extensions so I can fit J bend in reverse but it is a bit of a bodge for me on a new bike.

Not maybe as long and low as Dan is making out. I'm an Alien officially but only just scrape onto the Small for reach, Medium has too much stack for me. Shame there isn't any info about STA although it looks pretty steep with the offset seat post, but can't tell for sure. But pad x/y isn't the full story if you can't put your arse in the right place, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

But I really like a lot of the design concepts and as I say I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a frameset option.. but I'd probably want my own bars on there.

Good luck Dan, this is way above the P5X, Omni and Diamondhog in my reckoning.

You can upgrade the Pioneer to dual easy enough and it's a pretty solid power meter too IMO.

Disclaimer: I often promise photos fully intending to provide them and then get distracted. Sorry in advance :)
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
You can upgrade the Pioneer to dual easy enough and it's a pretty solid power meter too IMO.

That makes it much more attractive, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you enlighten me as to what would be the problem with just a one-leg power meter?

Can't you get reasonable power readings from just the one-side? I'm sure you get more accuracy with a dual, but can the single give data sufficient for the purpose of training with reasonably reliable power readings?

Not trolling, just don't know and looking for info....

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanceman wrote:
Can you enlighten me as to what would be the problem with just a one-leg power meter?

Can't you get reasonable power readings from just the one-side? I'm sure you get more accuracy with a dual, but can the single give data sufficient for the purpose of training with reasonably reliable power readings?

Not trolling, just don't know and looking for info....

Thanks

You'd be surprised just how much an individual's L/R power balance can shift from day to day. Combined with the power meter's own variation, it's enough to ruin the notion of training/pacing with power.

Disclaimer: I often promise photos fully intending to provide them and then get distracted. Sorry in advance :)
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great simplicity in terms of options, which I'm sure is part of the low price, but it would be nice to see an even more basic version, e.g., non-DI2 / no power / no wheels. $5500 is still a high price for a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree but also assume there are incremental profit margins built into each component so great overall price for the consumer but parting it down further would not save the consumer as much as you would think-much the way a bike shop handles frames v. Complete builds
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You obviously aren't from the northeast and can't fully appreciate Pubes' cantankerous attitude. He is certainly predictable in his approach but very "Philly"
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah not really excited about this one, but I wish the owner luck, at least he's trying.

My take is:
1. Somewhat generic frame from Taiwan. I realize its not the exact same, but looks a lot like the dengfu frames that companies like 'Squad' use, that can be bought online with generic paint for 1k, with someone elses name slapped on it. Probably doesn't matter to some, but this frame will have pretty miserable resale value.
2. Generic wheels that are very heavy ,again, low resale value too.
3. Yeah, neat that a powermeter is on there, but that can be bought for $500.
4. Case, nice, also $300-$500.
5. Ultegra Di2, yes nice, but again, its really not that pricey these days to buy ultegra di2 shifters and derailleurs.

I'm not really seeing the $5500 US price tag as some amazing value. Just my .02, nothing personal.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Dec 2, 16 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultimately though, I think the exchange rate, shipping cost and import fees will deter you from buying this. The Tri Rig stuff is looking pretty steep right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
George change the title of the thread to New Aero Affordable Superbike: Premier Tactical

At this point no one knows what Premier is and no one knows what Tactical is. If I was Dennis, I'd just have called the bike the name of the company. Too much branding confusion for an unknown entity.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deh20 wrote:
Great simplicity in terms of options, which I'm sure is part of the low price, but it would be nice to see an even more basic version, e.g., non-DI2 / no power / no wheels. $5500 is still a high price for a bike.

I was wondering about a mechanical version Ultegra kit, no power no race wheels, no travel box. If you own all these things, then you may not need them.

Also what is the BBtype? Is it BB30?
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you - I think :-)

There are bosses on the top tube for a bento box and the normal hydration bosses on the downtube and seat tube.

I have two additional storage solutions that we tested in the tunnel. If you go to the website and click down to the wind tunnel result - you can see the results of the test. I was a bit surprised that the two modular storage compartments tested did not cost much drag. We include some pictures. You can also see that data in Dan's article.

We also tested with Profile Design HC35. I have not published that yet because the wind tunnel was (no rider) so we only did it at LSWT to see how an athletes arms effect the numbers. We are doing Velodrome testing December 7th and those numbers should be interesting. The HC35 tested best in a CFD simulation but we really did not do a good job adding a riders arms in that simulation.

*******************
Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierHolding.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next