Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to let everyone know that Giant has released an updated version of the Bento and Front Hydration. According the letter I got in the box, I believe this upgrade is free to anyone who purchased a 2016 model with the originals. I even got a nice Giant Triathlon Bag with my upgrade.

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet ( I will tomorrow), but from the looks of it, they seem to be A LOT better.

The front hydration fill hole has been moved back, which makes it easier to fill during a ride. The rubber baffle is thicker and seems more durable. There is a plastic cap that snaps on to hold the rubber baffle in place and also the rubber extender that holds the straw.

The Bento box is no longer taper so the capacity is much greater that the last one.
Last edited by: mcgong: Jan 27, 17 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [mcgong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Just picked mine up this week, as well.

One note: The bottle is taller than the 2016 model, so very low and narrow arm rests will not fit nicely. I am currently having this problem but am working on a solution.

Otherwise, yes, the front bottle is larger and much more secure. Bento is larger and also secures its contents.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa! Terrific!

Did your shop notify you or did you reach out straight to Giant?
Unfortunately, the shop I bought mine from (Athlete's Lounge in PDX) is shuttered.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually saw it on an ebay auction and contacted my LBS. Within a few days, I had a box waiting for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile, Felt IA owners fume...

Good on Giant to timely respond to customer complaints

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to update you all....

Went for a ride today with the new setup. I purposely filled the hydration up, almost to the top. No bueno. I need to double check but I think the fill cap is only a single baffle design, which is probably the reason why. Water squirts out of the top continuously, sometimes 4 inches high. Once the water lowered though, it was a lot better. A side note too, is that I was riding pretty harsh roads. So we just have to fill it about 1/2 to 3/4 full.
The bottle also came with a "no fill" plug. I believe if you use that, you won't have a problem with leakage; but then you can not fill on-the-go. I did test this and filled the front hydration with my water bottle. It worked great. You can now pull your bottle out and the fill cap stays in place. Overall, I believe the new design is much better. I'm going to see if I can help with the squirting water somehow.
Last edited by: mcgong: Jan 28, 17 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't have many problems with the other set up, but this is much improved. I have 3 rides on it and haven't had problems with it. I've filled it with two bottles worth of water, so guessing 40oz each time. There are droplets that pop out a little at first when I hit a bump, but not enough to be an issue. This new set up takes away any of the frustrations I had about this bike and I now have to say this is the best of the 5 TT bikes I've had.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [ko21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ko21 wrote:
I didn't have many problems with the other set up, but this is much improved. I have 3 rides on it and haven't had problems with it. I've filled it with two bottles worth of water, so guessing 40oz each time. There are droplets that pop out a little at first when I hit a bump, but not enough to be an issue. This new set up takes away any of the frustrations I had about this bike and I now have to say this is the best of the 5 TT bikes I've had.

Good to hear. Just curious, is your fill cap a single baffle too?

You must ride on smooth roads. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea how to secure the di2 junction box inside the bento? the older version had a little slide in clip but this newer one doesn't have that. Is the velcro included in the bag anything to do with it?

Overall the bottle and bento is much better, I have a small frame and the bottle capacity has grown from 440ml to just under 740ml.

Nice touch by Giant to offer upgrades to 2016 customers too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you stuff a loofa in it to buffer against splashing?

(Still trying to find a shop to hook me up with this kit.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Can you stuff a loofa in it to buffer against splashing?

(Still trying to find a shop to hook me up with this kit.)

That is a great idea. I will look into that! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [twirpburrows] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twirpburrows wrote:
Any idea how to secure the di2 junction box inside the bento? the older version had a little slide in clip but this newer one doesn't have that. Is the velcro included in the bag anything to do with it?

Overall the bottle and bento is much better, I have a small frame and the bottle capacity has grown from 440ml to just under 740ml.

Nice touch by Giant to offer upgrades to 2016 customers too.

I used the Velcro to secure it to my top tube inside the Bento.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is a single. The roads around here are chip seal, so not the smoothest, but not horrible. I haven't taken it on any of the really bad roads around town. When I did fill it all the way to the top, it did splash out a bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea that's what I did, grabbing it to charge looks a little fiddly but I suppose that's a once in a blue moon job. Overall, very pleased with the new designs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good information folks. Thanks for the responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that the new hydration system has been out awhile, has anyone launched one on a ride?

I only ask because I finally put my new front water bottle on and lost it twice on my 2nd ride out. Of course, the ping pong ball size top latch broke so I'm needing a new one.
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the new hydration now for months with ZERO issue.
Put it to some serious test this weekend at St George. Completely full bottle on the rough chipseal, speed bumps, cattle guards.... no ejections.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New Giant Trinity Advanced Hydration and Bento [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto.
With the bottom wheel-hugging slider AND the top triangle piece locked in, I cannot imagine ever launching that bottle.

I have had trouble getting the top to snap on, though. I can get either the front or rear tab to lock on, but not both. I had it on once or twice when I first got it, but no luck since. It is such a tight snap, that something is no longer lining up nicely. Thus, I snap in the front and throw a strip of tape on each side to be sure.

I am very impressed by these upgrades. Very cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah... I'm pretty sure my issue was probably caused by the top latch not being all the way locked in on both sides then. I was pretty surprised since on my first ride out I went over some really rough conditions and didn't have a problem. Yet on my second ride, I flew over a small bump that I didn't even get out of aero for and the bottle went flying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any problems with the bottle flying off. What I have problems with is getting the top triangle piece off to remove the bottle. That thing is on pretty snug.

I also shaved down the piece that clips on top to hold down the straw and rubber cap; where it meets with the triangle piece.

Stil have problems with liquids spitting out of the fill hole. Most of the time I'll just use the one with out, or make sure I just have water in the tank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, I have to wedge a screwdriver into the little cutouts and pry it off.

Did you try the loofa trick to slow down the splashing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

Yes, i tried it. The loofa ends up sinking to the bottom. Can you think of a way to keep it up at the top?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcgong wrote:
dfroelich wrote:

Yes, i tried it. The loofa ends up sinking to the bottom. Can you think of a way to keep it up at the top?

A bit of floss/fishing line that loops through several holes of the loofa, then comes out the slits and ties taught around the straw? (I am imagining the loofa is life a teabag and the floss is the string. Does that make sense?)

Maybe a hook or other catcher plastic welded inside the bottle near the top?

Super huge loofa that fills up the whole thing? (haha)

The first one sounds the easiest, but if you go with weak line/floss, maybe have a few in case jamming a fill bottle in there snaps the first and then drops the loofa down again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great ideas. I see what I can do along those lines. Thanks!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I decided while waiting for a new top latch from Giant I'd model up my version and 3D print it. It came out pretty good for a first attempt and sits snug but not so tight that I need a screwdriver to pop it off. After I refine it a bit more I'll post the file in case anyone else is tired of breaking out a flathead every time they want to take off their water bottle.

I'm going to take the bike out for a few rides this week to see if it's tight enough where I'd feel comfortable training with my version. Then use the factory latch for races. After I refine the part a bit more I'll post the file in case anyone else is tired of breaking out a flathead every time they want to take off their water bottle.
Quote Reply

Prev Next