Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up to all the 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Owners.
I was on ride the other day and my Di2 stopped working. We took apart the front and found a cable that had been cut through. The brake cable is getting chewed up as well. The way the cable goes through to the rear is not designed well.

Interested to see if anyone else has had this issue and what they have done to remedy it. Looking for ideas. Gorilla Tape Wrap?

Last edited by: mcgong: Jan 29, 16 18:52
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [mcgong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there some super tough cable shielding out there? A braided kevlar sleeve over it?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rerouted the cable to the other side of the steerer tube. I think I will try to replace the brake cable and wrap it with gorilla tape or something.

I've having some issues with my lower brake rubbing on some demo rims I'm borrowing. They are the new Easton EC90 Aero 55mm (29mm Wide Outer). The rims fit on the bike just fine with 25mm tires, but the brakes are not optimal for it. I'd say a 25mm out Rim width is good, which I was running prior.

They do look good though :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that's a good looking bike. I wish they made one big enough to fit me. :( Congrats on the cool ride!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any update on this?
I test rode the mech version and really liked it except the fully filled water bottle ejected off the front going over some road bumps. That's not a deal-killer. I could add a small bit of tape on the sides to lock it in. But, add on this hiccup that you are describing and I'm rethinking my options.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Man, that's a good looking bike. I wish they made one big enough to fit me. :( Congrats on the cool ride!

Thanks Brett. Tried them today with 20mph crosswinds. They were not too bad. More predictable with gust than other rims I've tried with same depth.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Any update on this?
I test rode the mech version and really liked it except the fully filled water bottle ejected off the front going over some road bumps. That's not a deal-killer. I could add a small bit of tape on the sides to lock it in. But, add on this hiccup that you are describing and I'm rethinking my options.

My mechanic is calling Giant today to report this and see what they say. They had to front a Di2 cable and don't want to have to keep fronting more of them. I'll update everyone when I find out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Enve's, I was amazed how good they are in wind the first time I tried them. I actually looked down thinking I had standard box rims on
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpwiki wrote:
Try Enve's, I was amazed how good they are in wind the first time I tried them. I actually looked down thinking I had standard box rims on

Thanks! I actually already have a set of 7.8 ordered already. These are just demos the Easton rep let me try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I imagine some tape on those sharp edges would be better than around the cables.
If that gap for the wires is about 1 cm, then the tape could extend out a 1 mm or so, making a soft, dull edge to rub against.

Please do update with what you hear from your mech/Giant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcgong wrote:
dfroelich wrote:
Any update on this?

My mechanic is calling Giant today to report this and see what they say. They had to front a Di2 cable and don't want to have to keep fronting more of them. I'll update everyone when I find out.

Update?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry everyone, I haven't heard any updates from Giant yet. It may take a while for them to get back.

For now, I shrink tubed all my connections going back using 3M 3/8" shrink tubing. I'll check on it in a month to see how it is holding up and report back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any pics of your di2 routing? Is your Junction A hidden in the "nose cone" or are you running a 4-port B junction in the nose and keeping your Junction A in the bento box?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Do you have any pics of your di2 routing? Is your Junction A hidden in the "nose cone" or are you running a 4-port B junction in the nose and keeping your Junction A in the bento box?

Since I have a Medium frame. I was able to bundle the 4 port box in the nose cone(head tube covers). There are two wires that run to the Junction A box which I have in the Bento box. Those two wires are shrink wrapped together. In the Bento box, there is a place where you can snap the Junction A box in, so that it doesn't move around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had any trouble with the straw being short? Looking for somewhere to order a longer straw.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [warrior_80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! It's way too short. Not only that, try filling up the thing on a ride. Since it sits lower than the aero bars, I end up spilling a lot of fluid. For now I've just been using a normal BTA bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you mouneed a BTA holder on your aerobars? Did you leave the Torhans system on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, at least for training. Im still on the fence on whether I'm going to use it at HIM Oceanside. I use the xlab velcro version so it's easy enough to just take it on and off. And yes, normally I don't have the Torhans mounted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'be got a similar speedfil setup. Doesn't that negate the aero design of the front end by taking off the torhans?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that is why I'm still on the fence. Function or Aero? And I bought the bike for the integrated solutions. That is why I'll probably just use it during races. I don't want to have to clean my bike after every ride when using the Torhans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. It is a mess. Trying to find a longer straw for races. Might try Lowes or something
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<html><body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">Please let me know if you come up with something.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Ive experimented with Camelbak hoses and Hydroflask Straws. I think you could make something with those.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Here is something I tried. The bite valve was &nbsp;little too heavy and flimsy though.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/...ody></html>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am probably going to cut down an old torhans straw and super glue it over the giant straw
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have launched the front hydration as well, have to tape it on... Not loving it! Also used a Speedfil straw as the stock one is way to short.
Last edited by: jason8563: Apr 6, 16 14:09
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Cable Issues [jason8563] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I launched the bottle, it was put together incorrectly. The mounting piece came off the front of the bike with the bottle...not good. There is a small screw that holds it to the bike and that screw was put in before the mounting plate.

Did your bottle launch off with or without the mounting plate?

FWIW, I have raced twice and still taped it on just to be sure. Once I get some training ride in on it outdoors without the tape, I'll confirm that this screw is actually doing the job that I think it is.
Quote Reply

Prev Next