Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My tears are normally sufficient chain lubricant – killing two birds with one stone.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
Chad,

I've been battling with patellar tendinitis for about two months, so running hasn't been an option for me, but I've taken that time and put it all on the bike and pool. With that said, I'm on the bike seven days a week, currently doing the Olympic Base plan and adding in additional rides where there are off days. But, what workouts should I add on those days?

Right now, the plan has Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. I put 60 mins of Z2 on Monday and Wednesday (Pettit) with a recovery ride (lazy mountain) on Sunday. Is that sufficient or should I switch up the plan or jump plans all together to a cycling specific plan? I'm balancing this with rehab/strength and conditioning(3x/wk) and swimming.

Hey there,

With your issue being P-T, I'm not sure I'd recommend any more volume than you're doing at the moment. If, however, you feel like you can tolerate more workload and everything is progressing as expected (e.g. FTP on a steady rise, successful completion of intervals, etc), you could increase either your more endurance-nature rides a bit. More intensity sounds risky both in terms of overreaching too far as well as with respect to your knee issue, but you might be able to get away with longer stretches done at <75% FTP.

With all that said, your current approach already sounds like an ample training load (but perhaps not enough volume relative to previous years; that is, I'm not sure what sort of volume you need to keep progressing your fitness - maybe you're accustomed to really high volume) and I think you'd be best off by playing things a bit cautiously until you're fully healed.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually was thinking about something similar on saturday. How often do you guys service your drive train if you are JUST riding indoors? I know I let it fall by the wayside a bit, probably shouldn't though for component longevity sake
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This time of year I'm riding almost exclusively indoors (apart from commuting, but I consider that human transportation rather than proper training). As such I use dry lube on the turbo bike (Finish Line Ceramic Wax atm) putting a little bit on every weekend to keep it quiet and then before each FTP test (so 4 to 6 weeks) I take the chain/cassette/chainrings off, give them a scrub down and refit.

Doesn't take long and I swear it gives me an extra 5W on testing day ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I signed up for TR and just did my first FTP test. Unfortunately, in the middle of my 20min FTP session my computer stopped recording for 7min or so. I recorded the "ride" on my Garmin. Is there anyway to get that into TrainerRoad so it can estimate my FTP correctly. Would I just use the "Max Avg Power (20 min)" that shows in the stats section of Garmin Connect?
Last edited by: BrandonS: Mar 16, 16 4:09
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BrandonS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can manually edit your FTP in trainerroad. It's calculated as 95% of the average for the 20 minutes in the test ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happened on several of my rides including the middle of my last FTP as well. I was told it was my battery but it's not. Not sure what the issue is but overall, TR has made me a stronger biker in very little time so the stops aren't too hard to forget about.

A bigger issue is my wife that always wants to ask me questions when the hard intervals hit. She doesn't understand why I don't, can't, respond. Lol. Any fix for this trainerroad?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
A bigger issue is my wife that always wants to ask me questions when the hard intervals hit. She doesn't understand why I don't, can't, respond. Lol. Any fix for this trainerroad?

Put her through some VO2 max efforts herself and ask her to do some math :). I bet she'll start to understand.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:

Put her through some VO2 max efforts.

The sailor in me wants to make this my signature line but I don't suppose I should. I will let her know the advice though and see what happens :)

Thanks

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I doubt its the battery because it dropped my speed/cadence sensor, heart rate monitor, amd power meter all together.

Ill just run my Garmin all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still loving TR!

Question regarding my plan (figured I would ask here rather than write in for the podcast - which I love too btw!)

17 weeks until my Half Iron. But plenty of races in between that are shorter distance stuff. I just finished Sweet Spot Base Low Volume I. Can (should) I jump up to the Half Iron Build Low Volume Plan I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrandonS wrote:
Yea, I doubt its the battery because it dropped my speed/cadence sensor, heart rate monitor, amd power meter all together.

Ill just run my Garmin all the time.

I've had this happen a few times with the new version of TR on a Windows 10 computer (not sure which element of that equation is at fault) but if you unplug and replug the ANT+ stick it seems to get everything reconnected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a question for ya Chad, and I apologize if it has been asked before.
On the final week of the plans, usually a recovery week, that is usually followed by a FTP test, my question is why isn't the final workout one of the Truuli workouts which is a primer for a TT or race? I'm thinking of doing this workout Sunday instead of Slide Mountain on the General Build before I start Half Distance Build with the 20 min test.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [slappymcgee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slappymcgee wrote:
if you unplug and replug the ANT+ stick it seems to get everything reconnected.
Unless you edited the power management settings, Windows is setup to allow the OS to put the USB ports to sleep after a period of inwhat the OS considers inactivity. Take a look at this article for how to address the issue: http://helpdeskgeek.com/...ring-off-usb-device/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
I've got a question for ya Chad, and I apologize if it has been asked before.
On the final week of the plans, usually a recovery week, that is usually followed by a FTP test, my question is why isn't the final workout one of the Truuli workouts which is a primer for a TT or race? I'm thinking of doing this workout Sunday instead of Slide Mountain on the General Build before I start Half Distance Build with the 20 min test.

That's a good question, Chris (?). I treat recovery weeks like recovery weeks rather than preparation for an event or, in this case, an assessment, but there's plenty of value in doing a priming workout prior to assessing changes in FTP.

In that case though, I'd rather that athletes did the priming workout (e.g. Truuli) on Monday so that it directly preceded the assessment workout.

Does that mean you skip the Sunday ride? Up to you. If you think you can kick off a new phase with the extra, short (really short if you use Truuli -1 or -2), then go for it. It will probably set you up nicely for the challenge of assessment, just make sure it doesn't start off your first week on a fatigued note since you'll, in many cases, be skipping an easy/swim day.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
FTP test - 8 vs. 20 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am heading into week 6 of sweet spot base 1 (and need the recovery). When I started he program, I did the 20 min ftp assessment, instead of the 8 min assessment called for in the program. I intend to head into sweet spot base 2 after this recovery week, and see that it also starts out with the 8 min ftp test. Is there an advantage to doing the 20 min assessment as opposed to the 8 min one? Since I did the 20 min test when I started, my gut says I should keep things consistent and do the same test as I head into phase 2, but want to make sure I'm not missing something here.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP test - 8 vs. 20 [Skewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the programming notes say you can swap them if you like. i just like the consistency of picking one type of testing and holding it constant throughout the season so that the results of the test show change from the last test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have a quick question about the 20 minute FTP test on TrainerRoad.

Your FTP is calculated as 95% of your Average Power from the 20 min test interval, so you have to hit 1 / 0.95 = 105.3% of your FTP in that interval, right?

When you load up the test in the program, the Target and Actual bars for the 20 minute test interval are only set at around ~102% of your current FTP, so if you're roughly tracking along that as a pacing tool then you're going to significantly undershoot your current FTP. I know the test interval is supposed to be an all-out effort so theoretically it shouldn't matter, but to have the Target set so low seems a bit strange and certainly threw me when I did the test last night.

I notice that this isn't the case for the 8 minute FTP test, where the test interval targets are set at ~111% of your current FTP as would seem to make sense.

Is the 20 minute test supposed to be like this and if so, why?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
Hi, I have a quick question about the 20 minute FTP test on TrainerRoad.

Your FTP is calculated as 95% of your Average Power from the 20 min test interval, so you have to hit 1 / 0.95 = 105.3% of your FTP in that interval, right?

When you load up the test in the program, the Target and Actual bars for the 20 minute test interval are only set at around ~102% of your current FTP, so if you're roughly tracking along that as a pacing tool then you're going to significantly undershoot your current FTP. I know the test interval is supposed to be an all-out effort so theoretically it shouldn't matter, but to have the Target set so low seems a bit strange and certainly threw me when I did the test last night.

I notice that this isn't the case for the 8 minute FTP test, where the test interval targets are set at ~111% of your current FTP as would seem to make sense.

Is the 20 minute test supposed to be like this and if so, why?

Thanks!

You're right. We should tweak it up a bit for the near term.

In the long term we're going to remove the target all together.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue the last time I retested. Would love to see the target increased to account for a 2-3% increase in ftp since this is what the on screen instructions states is fairly normal.

I do not like the idea of removing the target completely as it is a bit of a mental boost to see you are over the bar and it is easy to see exactly how you are tracking at a quick glance.

Other than that, still love the program and into my second season using it.
Last edited by: Mugen_EP: Mar 23, 16 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mugen_EP wrote:
I had the same issue the last time I retested. Would love to see the target increased to account for a 2-3% increase in ftp since this is what the on screen instructions states is fairly normal.

I do not like the idea of removing the target completely as it is a bit of a mental boost to see you are over the bar and it is easy to see exactly how you are tracking at a quick glance.

Other than that, still love the program and into my second season using it.

I agree that having a target displayed really helps me keep my power steady. Luckily I realized that something was amiss with the target wattage before I started my test this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:

In the long term we're going to remove the target all together.

Please don't remove it fully, at least leave it as an option.

edit: xkcd: https://xkcd.com/1172/

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Last edited by: P90Puma: Mar 23, 16 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can manually bump the "target" to whatever level you want. set your goal as high or low as you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, but the default setting is too low and for sure it should not be removed completely.

I didn't realize it was low until completing my last test. I will probably manually bump it up in the future.
Quote Reply

Prev Next