Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Secondhand Dimond
Quote | Reply
This is really just to serve as a warning. After buying a Dimond Brilliant through Pros Closet, it became clear that the previous owner cut the steerer tube too short. I contacted Brad Bach at Dimond via telephone and told him the situation. He he told me that a replacement Superfork sold for $600. Expensive but understandable. Upon following up with him via email about lead time and to start the ordering process. He informed me that it would be $1200 for the superfork. When I called later to question the change, he told me that $600 is how much they charged people who had bought full priced bikes from them (he knew from the first minute we spoke, that I had purchased secondhand), and that $1200 would be my price. I pressed further, he said he would sell one to me for $600, only if I made referral that resulted in the purchase of a full price bike. When I pressed him on the matter of questionable customer service in quoting a price, then doubling it (which he does not deny doing), he told me what I suspected all along. They doubled the price, just for me!
"Nate, we have never sold a superfork to a non-customer before, and I don't plan to start doing that anytime soon. The $600 price is for Dimond customers. I'm sorry the exception I was going to give to you isn't enough."
They should just say it from the start. "If you didn't buy it from us, then fuck off."
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
This is really just to serve as a warning. After buying a Dimond Brilliant through Pros Closet, it became clear that the previous owner cut the steerer tube too short. I contacted Brad Bach at Dimond via telephone and told him the situation. He he told me that a replacement Superfork sold for $600. Expensive but understandable. Upon following up with him via email about lead time and to start the ordering process. He informed me that it would be $1200 for the superfork. When I called later to question the change, he told me that $600 is how much they charged people who had bought full priced bikes from them (he knew from the first minute we spoke, that I had purchased secondhand), and that $1200 would be my price. I pressed further, he said he would sell one to me for $600, only if I made referral that resulted in the purchase of a full price bike. When I pressed him on the matter of questionable customer service in quoting a price, then doubling it (which he does not deny doing), he told me what I suspected all along. They doubled the price, just for me!
"Nate, we have never sold a superfork to a non-customer before, and I don't plan to start doing that anytime soon. The $600 price is for Dimond customers. I'm sorry the exception I was going to give to you isn't enough."
They should just say it from the start. "If you didn't buy it from us, then fuck off."

I certainly don't think they are saying "fuck off", but I do think they want to make it clear there are advantages to being an original owner. To me, it sounds like a business process mistake because it was a first of its kind. FWIW, I remember when I paid retail for MY first Speed Concept and my fork. They couldn't get me one for nearly a month because the bike was selling so well and they just didn't have any. Frustrating to deal with no doubt so I can feel your pain.


Save: 7% on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec + Now Only $1395| 15% at Trisports.com | 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | 15% on Base

Blogs: Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | My Pre-Season Blood Test Labs | Best Cheap Indoor Training Stand | My Wind Tunnel Numbers | 2x20 Wattage Progression | Wind Tunnel Testing My Bike Shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
getbarreled wrote:
This is really just to serve as a warning. After buying a Dimond Brilliant through Pros Closet, it became clear that the previous owner cut the steerer tube too short. I contacted Brad Bach at Dimond via telephone and told him the situation. He he told me that a replacement Superfork sold for $600. Expensive but understandable. Upon following up with him via email about lead time and to start the ordering process. He informed me that it would be $1200 for the superfork. When I called later to question the change, he told me that $600 is how much they charged people who had bought full priced bikes from them (he knew from the first minute we spoke, that I had purchased secondhand), and that $1200 would be my price. I pressed further, he said he would sell one to me for $600, only if I made referral that resulted in the purchase of a full price bike. When I pressed him on the matter of questionable customer service in quoting a price, then doubling it (which he does not deny doing), he told me what I suspected all along. They doubled the price, just for me!
"Nate, we have never sold a superfork to a non-customer before, and I don't plan to start doing that anytime soon. The $600 price is for Dimond customers. I'm sorry the exception I was going to give to you isn't enough."
They should just say it from the start. "If you didn't buy it from us, then fuck off."

I certainly don't think they are saying "fuck off", but I do think they want to make it clear there are advantages to being an original owner. To me, it sounds like a business process mistake because it was a first of its kind. FWIW, I remember when I paid retail for MY first Speed Concept and my fork. They couldn't get me one for nearly a month because the bike was selling so well and they just didn't have any. Frustrating to deal with no doubt so I can feel your pain.

I can understand that it's uncharted territory for them and all that. I even get that you want to show that being an original owner has its advantages. It's just very bad form to tell someone a price without stipulation, then double it and say "tough titties"
This would have been the only Dimond on the road for 100 miles and I would have worshipped all things about it's existence to everyone I met. Instead, it's going back to Pros Closet.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw that frame on ebay. Could you make the current fork work by using a tri bar set that has a good amount of rise under the arm pads?
Also, I believe you can use any fork with the frame, no? But I can understand you wanting the nicer brilliant fork.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Saw that frame on ebay. Could you make the current fork work by using a tri bar set that has a good amount of rise under the arm pads?
Also, I believe you can use any fork with the frame, no? But I can understand you wanting the nicer brilliant fork.

Yes, I bought a 3T Funda fork that will work fine for it. The fork it came with would be unsafe no matter what you do. It was definitely miscut.
I just am having a hard time with the idea of riding a bike when the brand has taken the approach that they have with me.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, thats too bad about the fork being cut wrong.

While I know you're pissed that he changed the price after your first convo with him, I have to admit when I first started reading your post, I was really surprised when you said they offered it for $600.

They sell frames new at 4200 for Xcut, and 6k for brilliant. According to their site, the xcut uses the same layup as the brilliant. So they basically charge their own customers, buying brand new, 1800 for the superfork upgrade. Would seem pretty odd to offer it to you for 600.

Anyway, I guess its a moot point since you are returning it.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Apr 7, 17 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a fan of the customer service you received, but there may be a way around it. Can you find someone who is an original Dimond owner, give them $600, then have them order it?
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
This is really just to serve as a warning. After buying a Dimond Brilliant through Pros Closet, it became clear that the previous owner cut the steerer tube too short. I contacted Brad Bach at Dimond via telephone and told him the situation. He he told me that a replacement Superfork sold for $600. Expensive but understandable. Upon following up with him via email about lead time and to start the ordering process. He informed me that it would be $1200 for the superfork. When I called later to question the change, he told me that $600 is how much they charged people who had bought full priced bikes from them (he knew from the first minute we spoke, that I had purchased secondhand), and that $1200 would be my price. I pressed further, he said he would sell one to me for $600, only if I made referral that resulted in the purchase of a full price bike. When I pressed him on the matter of questionable customer service in quoting a price, then doubling it (which he does not deny doing), he told me what I suspected all along. They doubled the price, just for me!
"Nate, we have never sold a superfork to a non-customer before, and I don't plan to start doing that anytime soon. The $600 price is for Dimond customers. I'm sorry the exception I was going to give to you isn't enough."
They should just say it from the start. "If you didn't buy it from us, then fuck off."

Wow. Not only did they just lose a sell, they lost a customer.

So he will only sell you one for $600 if you convince someone to buy a bike from them. That is ridiculous. Do any other companies do this if you are not the original owner?

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a different approach but yes, for instance at my Trek dealer I get something like 20% off because when I buy a bike retail I am a "preferred customer"


Save: 7% on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec + Now Only $1395| 15% at Trisports.com | 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | 15% on Base

Blogs: Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | My Pre-Season Blood Test Labs | Best Cheap Indoor Training Stand | My Wind Tunnel Numbers | 2x20 Wattage Progression | Wind Tunnel Testing My Bike Shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
This is a different approach but yes, for instance at my Trek dealer I get something like 20% off because when I buy a bike retail I am a "preferred customer"

Does everyone get 20% off or do you because you ride a Trek?

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post the whole email conversation if you're going to call them out, no paraphrasing. Don't we have some Dimond guys on the forum? Maybe they'll chime in. What happens if you break the seatpost/beam and aren't the original owner, do you scrap the bike? Some stuff might help folks in the future looking for a secondhand bike.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Podium Sports Racing - http://www.podiumsportsmed.com/team/
Last edited by: leegoocrap: Apr 7, 17 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is something you should bring up with Pro's Closet. It's a second hand bike, so technically, it's no longer under Diamond's warranty (applies to original owner). If the price charged from Pro's Closet was for a complete frame/fork, then you have a beef with them. If they charged you a discounted price because the fork was cut too short, then you got exactly what you paid for.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
This is a different approach but yes, for instance at my Trek dealer I get something like 20% off because when I buy a bike retail I am a "preferred customer"


Does everyone get 20% off or do you because you ride a Trek?

No, I am a regular paying retail customer for my Trek. Everyone who buys a bike off the showroom floor gets 20%. There may be some threshold of say 5K or something for the 20%, I am not really sure. All I am sure is this is a regular offer to all that qualify and it has nothing to do with being pro.

I really don't know. Again for clarification purposes, I am not sponsored by TREK. I have turned down some offers to ride other brands, but as people know I want equipment that I am the most confident and for me that has been Trek. There are a few other bikes I would consider now that I am few years older and wiser and have more experience with the wind tunnel, but I am comfortable wrenching on my Trek having essentially the same bike for almost 8 years now. For what it is worth, I have never had a mechanical in a race ever and I race a lot. This of course does not include a flat and dropped chain or two. I mention this because people jump bikes too easily IMO and it results in mechanicals.


Save: 7% on Air Relax Recovery Boots| $100 on Normatec + Now Only $1395| 15% at Trisports.com | 15% on The Most Absorbable Magnesium | 15% on Base

Blogs: Best Cheap Aero Sunglasses | My Pre-Season Blood Test Labs | Best Cheap Indoor Training Stand | My Wind Tunnel Numbers | 2x20 Wattage Progression | Wind Tunnel Testing My Bike Shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. After learning of their customer service practices I wouldn't buy new or used after reading that. I prefer working with companies that have excellent customer service policies like Zappos, Amazon, Nordstrom, etc..

-j

Justin Levy
415 517 7836
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
Post the whole email conversation if you're going to call them out, no paraphrasing. Don't we have some Dimond guys on the forum? Maybe they'll chime in. What happens if you break the seatpost/beam and aren't the original owner, do you scrap the bike? Some stuff might help folks in the future looking for a secondhand bike.

Dimond never said they wouldn't sell him/her the parts................

It's all about the post count!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, i read the post. Maybe I should have phrased it is it cheaper to buy a new frame than replace the post.
Or used more pink
or counted on somebody pointing out the glaringly obvious on a Friday...

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Podium Sports Racing - http://www.podiumsportsmed.com/team/
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
This is really just to serve as a warning. After buying a Dimond Brilliant through Pros Closet, it became clear that the previous owner cut the steerer tube too short. I contacted Brad Bach at Dimond via telephone and told him the situation. He he told me that a replacement Superfork sold for $600. Expensive but understandable. Upon following up with him via email about lead time and to start the ordering process. He informed me that it would be $1200 for the superfork. When I called later to question the change, he told me that $600 is how much they charged people who had bought full priced bikes from them (he knew from the first minute we spoke, that I had purchased secondhand), and that $1200 would be my price. I pressed further, he said he would sell one to me for $600, only if I made referral that resulted in the purchase of a full price bike. When I pressed him on the matter of questionable customer service in quoting a price, then doubling it (which he does not deny doing), he told me what I suspected all along. They doubled the price, just for me!
"Nate, we have never sold a superfork to a non-customer before, and I don't plan to start doing that anytime soon. The $600 price is for Dimond customers. I'm sorry the exception I was going to give to you isn't enough."
They should just say it from the start. "If you didn't buy it from us, then fuck off."


Either they were having a bad day or there is more to this story. The service from Dimond is usually excellent.

In fact ... I am going to go out on a limb and say there is absolutely more to this story.

I have a couple of questions .... you state 'replacement'. So the fork on the bike is already a Superfork, yes? Because they would likely get you a replacement standard fork but not a replacement Superfork, which is also fair given that they do not openly sell the superfork. By replacement you are implying it has a Superfork already.

When Brad initially quoted the $600 did he think that you were an existing Dimond customer or did he know you were a third party?
"They doubled the price just for me" No they didn't. The price was always $600 to existing owners and $1200 otherwise. They notified all existing Dimond customers of this arrangement (which, arguably, you are not) at the time the fork was released.And it was also publicly press released with the pricing even included in the reviews like THIS ONE from TriRig. If you are hoping that by Brad, having potentially made a mistake in offering it to you for $600, should then be held to that mistake, then that seems a bit unfair.

I can understand your frustration in buying a bike that needs an expensive replacement part. But in light of this I would assume returning the defective purchase is a good idea. There seems little angst towards the guys who sold you the bike but a ton of issues with Dimond because you don't like the cost to fix it.

Powered by - Team Dimond | Wave Physiotherapy | PB+J Coaching
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Apr 7, 17 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add, but just wanted to say this thread title is one letter away from a great title for a country song.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
Nothing to add, but just wanted to say this thread title is one letter away from a great title for a country song.

haha, genius.

Powered by - Team Dimond | Wave Physiotherapy | PB+J Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:

Either they were having a bad day or there is more to this story. The service from Dimond is usually excellent.

I have a couple of questions .... you state 'replacement'. So the fork on the bike is already a Superfork, yes? Because they would likely get you a replacement standard fork but not a replacement Superfork, which is also fair given that they do not openly sell the superfork. By replacement you are implying it has a Superfork already.

When Brad initially quoted the $600 did he think that you were an existing Dimond customer or did he know you were a third party?
"They doubled the price just for me" No they didn't. The price was always $600 to existing owners and $1200 otherwise. They notified all existing Dimond customers of this arrangement (which, arguably, you are not) at the time the fork was released.And it was also publicly press released with the pricing even included in the reviews like THIS ONE from TriRig. If you are hoping that by Brad, having potentially made a mistake in offering it to you for $600, should then be held to that mistake, then that seems a bit unfair.

I can understand your frustration in buying a bike that needs an expensive replacement part. But in light of this I would assume returning the defective purchase is a good idea.

The least they could have done would say something to the effect of, "we apologize, due to xyz reason we misquoted your price and can't honor thay quote. For your troubles we can offer you a free t shirt and cycling kit if you go ahead and make the purchase."

I would be frustrated AF by their response as OP describes it. You gotta take some responsibility for what you say to customers and put them first for the sake of the larger business. Instead of potentially just losing the cost of a cycling kit and selling a 1200 fork, they lost a 1200 sale AND a future customer. Maybe it would have taken more than a kit to make things right with OP but I'm making a general point.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
Nothing to add, but just wanted to say this thread title is one letter away from a great title for a country song.

ha ha
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Dimond have done anything wrong, very worst they misquoted the OP. But, it's nice when companies go above and beyond what they are obliged to, helping out a customer, even a second hand one.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
I would be frustrated AF by their response as OP describes it.

Yes, I would be too. I know Brad. I know Dimond. I see how they deal with people. As the OP describes it is, in my experience, very unlikely to have been how it actually went down.

Powered by - Team Dimond | Wave Physiotherapy | PB+J Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And this is why it would be interesting to literally see the emails, not just the highlights from one pissed off party.

Everything Jay said, plus, like I said, its not fair for original owners to have paid more for the fork (either buying new Brilliant, or having to pay to upgrade) than someone buying a secondhand frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [Justlevy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justlevy wrote:
Thanks for sharing. After learning of their customer service practices I wouldn't buy new or used after reading that. I prefer working with companies that have excellent customer service policies like Zappos, Amazon, Nordstrom, etc..

-j

You never want to deal with Dimond, so you mention a bunch of online department stores you like instead? What do they have to do with bike warranty service?? Not many bike companies out there offer Amazon Prime service...
Cervelo, Trek, Specialized, etc Good luck getting any special warranty service/pricing from them for second hand owners.
Quote Reply

Prev Next