Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all, does anyone know, if you get a project one frame/bike now, does it come with the aluminum seat post, or the carbon? And in either case, can you get different setback caps for them like on the gen 1 posts?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2018 P1 is carbon. I believe the setback options were available doing the build at my LBS but not online. The LBS had significantly more options, such as crank length.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the max amount of tilt you can get with the factory extensions? And please specify where are your measuring from either the tip of the extensions or at the pads. And is it safe for the extensions to be run at the max tilt.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up that is you were, say, spending a lot of money to race on a pacific island, then double check all the bolts in the front end. Riding out to a TT I heard a crack and found that both the bolts between the stem and the fork were broken (presumably one at a time). Which wouldn't be ideal just before a big race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
What is the max amount of tilt you can get with the factory extensions? And please specify where are your measuring from either the tip of the extensions or at the pads. And is it safe for the extensions to be run at the max tilt.

Max tilt is around 10 degrees upward. And that is measured from the underside of the extension to the top of the mono spacer which the pivot cradle rests on.

We don't suggest running it at max tilt, but there are certainly many cases of riders who have. Just be sure to secure your hardware and make sure the set screw is placed properly on the pivot cradle.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch!
As I mentioned earlier, I just bought a new SC frame from the local Trek Super Store and am planning to build it up with the new Campy Super Record EPS. Since this group is brand new and just came out a month or so ago, no one including the local Trek store mechanic were sure yet where to mount the battery. The V4 battery is smaller then the V3 and according to Campagnolo it will fit in a round seat post as you can order the holder for various road seat post diameters. I have yet to see the actual battery (group on order, waiting delivery). Was thinking I would order the seat post holder to see if that would work or my frame did not come with the cover/fin for the bottom and instead came with the cover with two screw holes, maybe fabricate a bracket to mount externally? Any other ideas?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
Hi Mitch!
As I mentioned earlier, I just bought a new SC frame from the local Trek Super Store and am planning to build it up with the new Campy Super Record EPS. Since this group is brand new and just came out a month or so ago, no one including the local Trek store mechanic were sure yet where to mount the battery. The V4 battery is smaller then the V3 and according to Campagnolo it will fit in a round seat post as you can order the holder for various road seat post diameters. I have yet to see the actual battery (group on order, waiting delivery). Was thinking I would order the seat post holder to see if that would work or my frame did not come with the cover/fin for the bottom and instead came with the cover with two screw holes, maybe fabricate a bracket to mount externally? Any other ideas?

I’m not familiar with how the Campy system is wired, but if it is small enough to fit in the SC aero seatpost I suggest wrapping it in thin foam as necessary and drop it in the seattube above the bottom bracket. This assumes the Campy wiring works for this configuration and the battery doesn’t have to come out to be charged.

I’ve wired up SC’s several times and changed from putting the battery in the seatpost to the seattube. This eliminates having to disconnect the battery when pulling the seatpost for travel. On the cylindrical Shimano internal battery I just heatshrink on a looped zip tie so I can fish out the battery if necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
Hi Mitch!

Might be tricky, but you should see if it would fit within the seatpost first. That is the best location for a battery mount if the dimensions are correct for it, we don't have a mount, but you can certainly have it held with other materials. You may be able to use the Di2 holder with some modification as well - worth testing first!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch,
the battery was just slightly larger then the seat post opening so it didn't fit in there but some foam wrapped around it and it wedged into the seat tube nice and secure.
Next issue, for the rear derailleur, the exit hole for the wire is just slightly too small for the cable connecter to pass through, its so close to going but the hole isn't big enough. Can that hole be drilled out a mm or 2 larger without comprising anything?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
Hey Mitch,
the battery was just slightly larger then the seat post opening so it didn't fit in there but some foam wrapped around it and it wedged into the seat tube nice and secure.
Next issue, for the rear derailleur, the exit hole for the wire is just slightly too small for the cable connecter to pass through, its so close to going but the hole isn't big enough. Can that hole be drilled out a mm or 2 larger without comprising anything?

I wouldn't suggest drilling into the frame as it would void your warranty. But if you are talking about the Di2 wire grommet which is removable, you can certainly modify that. Just be sure to do it off the frame.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is for the Campy Super Record EPS, going to see if I can file or shave some of the plastic off the connector to get it to fit through the hole.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all, couple of questions about a new build.

Just got a frameset, and it is delivered with a cable/housing running from the rear brake up to the head tube sticking out there. Then there is another cable housing routed through the handlebar.

1. Are you supposed to join these two housings together with one of those adjustable ferrules? Is there room for that under the stem cap?

2. Unrelated to the above, the second junction box, to go down around the bottom bracket, I can't remember for the life of me where I had this positioned exactly in my older gen 1 SC that I no longer have. If I don't plan to use an axle sleeve in the bottom bracket, is that an issue for how the junction box will be positioned?

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Hey all, couple of questions about a new build.

Just got a frameset, and it is delivered with a cable/housing running from the rear brake up to the head tube sticking out there. Then there is another cable housing routed through the handlebar.

1. Are you supposed to join these two housings together with one of those adjustable ferrules? Is there room for that under the stem cap?

2. Unrelated to the above, the second junction box, to go down around the bottom bracket, I can't remember for the life of me where I had this positioned exactly in my older gen 1 SC that I no longer have. If I don't plan to use an axle sleeve in the bottom bracket, is that an issue for how the junction box will be positioned?

Thanks!!

Bump, anyone? :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For question 1 there should be a small silver double ended cable stop (Jagwire maybe?) included with your bike, you use that to join the 2 cable housing under the stem. It's also good for when you want to remove the front end and don't have to pull that hosuing from inside the frame.

For question 2 I just stuffed it in the BB area but that was always with the BB sleeve in use, without that sleeve I'd be careful but there is a lot of space inside there for it to fit somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my Gen 2 SC, there are two brake cable housings:

One runs from the rear brake, out of the frame near the headset, then into the handlebar to the rear brake. As far as I can tell, it's a continuous housing end to end.

The other one is for the front brake. This housing terminates in an angled cable stop which sits inside the stem; only the cable inner continues down to the front brake wedge.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marting wrote:

One runs from the rear brake, out of the frame near the headset, then into the handlebar to the rear brake. As far as I can tell, it's a continuous housing end to end.

The other one is for the front brake. This housing terminates in an angled cable stop which sits inside the stem; only the cable inner continues down to the front brake wedge.

Mine, out of the box, came with three cable housing runs - 1. from rear brake up and out of frame near stem. 2. One piece through handle bar for front brake. 3. One piece through handlebar for rear brake, which I guess is meant to mate up with the frame routed housing via a ferrule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch,

Sorry if you have answered this before, I couldn't find it but this thread is so long that it's probably here somewhere. I have a 2014 Speed Concept 7.5 that needs headset bearings due to sticking in the forward position. I replaced it a few years ago for the same problem so I'm guessing this is a common issue with sweat, gatorade, and just things pooling up in the bearing area.

Question: is this just a problem that happens with the upper bearing? is there an updated part that is more resistant to this problem? what are the part numbers so that I can order them online?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
Hi Mitch,

Sorry if you have answered this before, I couldn't find it but this thread is so long that it's probably here somewhere. I have a 2014 Speed Concept 7.5 that needs headset bearings due to sticking in the forward position. I replaced it a few years ago for the same problem so I'm guessing this is a common issue with sweat, gatorade, and just things pooling up in the bearing area.

Question: is this just a problem that happens with the upper bearing? is there an updated part that is more resistant to this problem? what are the part numbers so that I can order them online?

Thanks

Corroded bearings are quite popular for all Tri bikes and not just this specific model due to your head being placed directly over that junction. I always suggest a good cleaning after each ride especially around the bearings up front. Clean water will help remove most of the salt build up from your body's sweat.Primarily, it is the upper headset bearing, but if you haven't changed the lower in sometime, best to do it while you have it taken apart.

Part numbers and sizes for the bearings are the following...

Upper: W276442 14.2MM X 25MM X 6.5MM
Lower: 581410 38MM X 26MM X 6.5MM

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
marting wrote:

Mine, out of the box, came with three cable housing runs - 1. from rear brake up and out of frame near stem. 2. One piece through handle bar for front brake. 3. One piece through handlebar for rear brake, which I guess is meant to mate up with the frame routed housing via a ferrule.

The idea is to use a ferrule but non adjustable one. You may be able to fit an adjustable ferrule in there but I think it depends what stem you run.

http://trek.scene7.com/...t_Service_Manual.pdf

Personally, I didn't like the ferrule and I just ran a home run cable from the lever to the rear brake.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is been covered on here already and I can't find it for some reason.

Can the di2 battery be run inside the aluminum seatpost that comes with the stock bike?
Is there a mount or a hanger?
Or do I need a separate seat post?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I know this is been covered on here already and I can't find it for some reason.

Can the di2 battery be run inside the aluminum seatpost that comes with the stock bike?

I have hidden it in the alu seat post. Wrap the battery with foam (thin foam, I got it from some packaging used in some trek parts) and tape it well. Then shove it up the seat post.

Has held up fine for me. I'm sure you could upgrade to the carbon seat post and get the adapter but IMO thats a waste of money. Foam and some tape is basically free.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aid.dre.an wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

I have hidden it in the alu seat post. Wrap the battery with foam (thin foam, I got it from some packaging used in some trek parts) and tape it well. Then shove it up the seat post.

Has held up fine for me. I'm sure you could upgrade to the carbon seat post and get the adapter but IMO thats a waste of money. Foam and some tape is basically free.

Okay that's probably what I'll do I guess my only real concern is if it would slip out of the seacoast down into the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Aid.dre.an wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Okay that's probably what I'll do I guess my only real concern is if it would slip out of the seacoast down into the frame.

I’ve ridden 1000’s of miles on terrible chipseal and mine hasn’t budged. It’ll be fine if you secure it well enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Aid.dre.an wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

My only advice is to get a longer cable than you think you need between the junction in the bb and the battery. When you lift the seat post out for servicing or if the battery happens to pop out for some reason you can easily retrieve it. But yeah, I have ridden on shitty Canadian roads for thousands of km's and it hasn't dropped out, and I did the entire installation myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch-

I have to change out a frame (BMC Large) and am excited to make the switch to the Speed Concept. Can you help me make sure I have the right size? Current fit is 508 x and 698 y. (to center pad) 6'2" tall. I would say current fit is on conservative side for me so I'd love some ability to lower the front end in the future if my back allows.

Thanks!

Matt
Last edited by: vaughandvm: Sep 30, 19 17:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next