Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Sorry Mitch will repost here

Mitch just in regards to the mono plug in extension- I noticed that it has 3 holes running along the top each side for the arm cups/wing pad. The s-bends i use have the standard 4 holes. I also use the 4th hole to put wing/pads on (hole that is furtherest away from the body, towards the extensions). As a result, does this mean the mono would not work as it seems shorter? I have the s-bend bar just shy all the way forward but have hardly any room to go further forward. The arm cups are are in the middle of the wing. I have attached a pic, i hope it works. I want to try different bars, something like a zipp with 70mm rise, but im hesitant that i might not be able to get my pads in the right position (ie, quite forward) since the mono doesnt have as much length?

Looks like you got some great responses while I was out of town on the SC Owners thread, but as another mentioned, flipping the wing mount is my first stop. I wouldn't suggest flipping the bolt cradle (bolt assembly) to have the grub screw up front though, that is not something we would ever recommend as that screw is supposed to be in the rear only.

As for length, the standard mono and mono plug in will give you the same amount of movement - but that wing flip would help if you still find you need it more forward!

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not certain you still wanted pictures or not but here is some images of my setup;

You honestly cant see the cables for the most part - they are hardly exposed. I thought about drilling the bar and running it through the front of the mono but really dont see the reason to do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks teddy - i have the vuka 70 carbon on the way - looks like if you get the cut right and not have heaps of bar towards the rear, the cables exit the back and go into the stem pretty neat. No need for the mono-bar front holes.
How do you find the inward roll of the zipp bars? Must bring things pretty close up the top of the bars. I like your mount too, i normally use a k-edge tt mount which fits perfectly central to the trek bars....wont fit well with the inward roll of zipps, i will have to look at other solutions id say.
Cheers again, great set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the roll on the bars - it positions my hands and wrists in a very comfortable position and they roll in very close where I can interlock my fingers and keep everything close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What computer mount is that? I have the same setup as you but my garmin isn't centered due to the inward roll of the evo bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tonyg420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tonyg420 wrote:
What computer mount is that? I have the same setup as you but my garmin isn't centered due to the inward roll of the evo bars.

It honestly is a cheap mount I found at Walmart;

https://www.walmart.com/...ter-Holder/480446005

I did some modifications to it but it’s all stuff any one with a drill and file can do. It comes with a go-pro bottom mount and I unbolted it and super glued the Garmin mount in place and then if I want to run a light or go-pro I have the option to bolt it back on.
Last edited by: teddygram: Jul 9, 19 8:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great and inexpensive solution. I'll have to pick one up, the crookedness of my computer, though perfectly readable, drives me nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
I wouldn't suggest flipping the bolt cradle (bolt assembly) to have the grub screw up front though, that is not something we would ever recommend as that screw is supposed to be in the rear only.

That’s interesting - I don’t think I’ve seen a single picture with the grub screw at the rear.

All the bikes I’ve seen (including mine) have the grub screw towards the front. I certainly haven’t knowingly flipped the cradle around.

Could you double check this for us please?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marting wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
I wouldn't suggest flipping the bolt cradle (bolt assembly) to have the grub screw up front though, that is not something we would ever recommend as that screw is supposed to be in the rear only.

That’s interesting - I don’t think I’ve seen a single picture with the grub screw at the rear.

All the bikes I’ve seen (including mine) have the grub screw towards the front. I certainly haven’t knowingly flipped the cradle around.

Could you double check this for us please?

Perhaps we are talking about a different screw, but below is the screw I was discussing that I have seen flipped around (on the pivot cradle and labeled as "set screw"). I would leave it to the rear as the service manual recommends - but riders have moved it to the front to get more tilt of their mono extension.

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Jul 9, 19 12:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Trek LBS is adamant that the set screw can be in the back or the front, in fact they have 3 SC's on the floor, 2 one way and 1 the other. It solves real world customer problems to have the flexibility so people do it. I'm a rebel so mine is in the front.

Obviously some product engineer in the back of the building knows something about WHY the set screw should be in the back but Mitch can't say! You would think that if it was really that important they would have made it impossible to reverse it.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mitch - your pictures are very clear. I'm now wondering how mine ended up back to front.

On a related note, I wonder if those who have had the extension bolts fail have their grub screw at the back or the front?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mines completely rounded out - gonna be fun trying to get it out. Does this screw come with any bag of bolts or have a part number does anyone know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marting wrote:
Thanks Mitch - your pictures are very clear. I'm now wondering how mine ended up back to front.

On a related note, I wonder if those who have had the extension bolts fail have their grub screw at the back or the front?

In my experience with most of the failures I have seen the grub screw is at the rear with the mono extension pushed all the way forward and the arm pad/bridge very far forward on the extension bar causing most of the weight to be forward of the cradle pivot and putting stress on the rear bolt.
Last edited by: teddygram: Jul 9, 19 20:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Mines completely rounded out - gonna be fun trying to get it out. Does this screw come with any bag of bolts or have a part number does anyone know?

You wouldn't see this bolt in a kit, but it comes with the Pivot Cradle. No need to try to remove the old one. The part number is W331631 and it is an inexpensive part.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
marting wrote:

In my experience with most of the failures I have seen the grub screw is at the rear with the mono extension pushed all the way forward and the arm pad/bridge very far forward on the extension bar causing most of the weight to be forward of the cradle pivot and putting stress on the rear bolt.

I wondered if that would be the case. Grub screw forward would relieve tensile stress on that rear bolt...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek:
Is the mono plug-in really nowhere to be found? I reached out directly to Trek via online chat last week and the gentleman said he couldn't find any in stock. Seems like folks have been looking for this part since last summer! I bought a Speed Concept earlier this year and the reach is about the only thing I don't like about it. Would love to use my old Zipp Vuka extensions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m confused, searched everywhere. What size/quantity DI2 wires do I need for a size med gen 2 SC? Will be doing the 2 button aerobar shifters, and brake lever shifters as well
Thanks
Bryan
Last edited by: Fat_Ironman: Jul 15, 19 16:17
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fat_Ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fat_Ironman wrote:
I’m confused, searched everywhere. What size/quantity DI2 wires do I need for a size med gen 2 SC? Will be doing the 2 button aerobar shifters, and brake lever shifters as well
Thanks
Bryan

These wires were fine for my SC gen2.

Last edited by: Ksavostin: Jul 15, 19 21:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [throxy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
throxy wrote:
Mitch@Trek:
Is the mono plug-in really nowhere to be found? I reached out directly to Trek via online chat last week and the gentleman said he couldn't find any in stock. Seems like folks have been looking for this part since last summer! I bought a Speed Concept earlier this year and the reach is about the only thing I don't like about it. Would love to use my old Zipp Vuka extensions.

We do have a new version arriving very soon - hang tight!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:

New version? Can you elaborate on what is different than the current plug-in mono extension?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:

New version? Can you elaborate on what is different than the current plug-in mono extension?

Edited, see new post below.

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Jul 16, 19 14:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great news!

Could you give a general time frame? Are we talking weeks or months, here? Would love to have this purchased and installed in time for IM Maryland.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those asking about the new Mono Plug-In, I wanted to give you the official update which I can do now!

So the new model retains the same look, but uses 6 mm hardware over the previous 5 mm hardware for added strength. In order to run the new Mono Plug-In, you will need to order the following (which you can actually order TODAY!):

Mono Plugin – W582446
6mm bolt and T-nut – 596164
Mono Slider – W582447

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Jul 29, 19 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
For those asking about the new Mono Plug-In, I wanted to give you the official update which I can do now!

So the new model retains the same look, but uses 6 mm hardware over the previous 5 mm hardware for added strength. In order to run the new Mono Plug-In, you will need to order the following (which you can actually order TODAY!):

Mono Plugin – W582446
6mm bolt and T-nut – 596164 (You will need TWO of these)
Mono Slider – W582447

Mitch, can you please comment on what you guys changed on this and why? Is this an update to the 2 bolts on the tilt cradle? Is this backwards compatible with the previous mono plugin? Was this to address the bolt failures or fix the loosening of the extensions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parts just ordered through my bike shop. Thanks, Mitch!
Quote Reply

Prev Next