Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
You need a 24mm wavy washer on drive side.

So the drive side of the crank is rubbing the frame? There is no lateral play now with the cranks installed without a washer. So the washer would be used to prevent rub?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
I have a project one build that has a ceramic speed BB. I just regreased the bearings and reinstalled the SRAM GXP crankarms. With light torque the cranks spin fantastic! However, when I torque the cranks to SRAM spec, 48 Nm, they barely spin. No wave washer is installed. Just the dust caps. This is beyond frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

I tried to upload a video but apparently I do not know how to do that.


1. You need the wave washer.
2. Sounds to me like the bearings are not fully pressed into the BB.
Last edited by: SiRcivic27: Jun 15, 19 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SiRcivic27 wrote:
Jimbotri wrote:
I have a project one build that has a ceramic speed BB. I just regreased the bearings and reinstalled the SRAM GXP crankarms. With light torque the cranks spin fantastic! However, when I torque the cranks to SRAM spec, 48 Nm, they barely spin. No wave washer is installed. Just the dust caps. This is beyond frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

I tried to upload a video but apparently I do not know how to do that.


1. You need the wave washer.
2. Sounds to me like the bearings are not fully pressed into the BB.



I think you may be right about the bearings coming out. There is no way I could squeeze a washer in there without locking down the cranks. I have read that the Speed Concept BB can loosen and bearing get dislodged. BBinfinite even makes bearing for this issue. So I was thinking about buying a press to take care of this issue myself instead of bringing it to the shop frequently to be repressed. You think this would do the trick on the Speed Concept? Or any other suggestions for a SC BB press?

https://wheelsmfg.com/...m-bracket-press.html
Last edited by: Jimbotri: Jun 15, 19 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri@thlete wrote:
Hi Mitch - Where can I get a Trek SC Gen 2 Mono Extension Plug in the UK (or US)? I can't find them anywhere! I want to try some different aero extensions.


Thanks - Joe


Hey Joe, unfortunately those are out of stock for the UK and EU warehouses - possibly a replacement will be arriving in the future!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [T.Skelton3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton3 wrote:
Hi Mitch,

I’m trying to find a low-far stem for my gen2 SC but no luck. Can you help?

Thank you!

You'll need to stop into your local Trek dealer to order one! Part # 436146

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
SiRcivic27 wrote:
Jimbotri wrote:
I have a project one build that has a ceramic speed BB. I just regreased the bearings and reinstalled the SRAM GXP crankarms. With light torque the cranks spin fantastic! However, when I torque the cranks to SRAM spec, 48 Nm, they barely spin. No wave washer is installed. Just the dust caps. This is beyond frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

I tried to upload a video but apparently I do not know how to do that.


1. You need the wave washer.
2. Sounds to me like the bearings are not fully pressed into the BB.



I think you may be right about the bearings coming out. There is no way I could squeeze a washer in there without locking down the cranks. I have read that the Speed Concept BB can loosen and bearing get dislodged. BBinfinite even makes bearing for this issue. So I was thinking about buying a press to take care of this issue myself instead of bringing it to the shop frequently to be repressed. You think this would do the trick on the Speed Concept? Or any other suggestions for a SC BB press?

https://wheelsmfg.com/...m-bracket-press.html

I recommend that press as I used to have one for my home shop. Works like the Park Tool model which most LBS will carry. Check your BB to make sure it is fully seated and then install that washer and you should be set!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swapping out the mono bar riser - mechanical shifting.

I've convinced myself I need to be 5-10mm lower and I can go from the 25mm to the 15mm riser but the process is a bit more complex than I had originally imagined. The barrel end stop on the end of the shifter cables keeps you from getting the bar end shifters out of the way and sliding the mono bar forward. So that means taking the inner cable all the way out with the risk that the cable housings will go astray inside the frame. My LBS has graciously offered to do all this for about $100 bucks - discounted from the normal $250 but I would like to become more adept at doing these things. I've had the mono bar and base bar loose to do some adjusting so that part is pretty straight forward, it's just the shifter cables I'm concerned about.

Any experience / tips / tricks for this procedure or just stick with my LBS?

"Aquabike is a swim then sleep session on aerobars ...."
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Swapping out the mono bar riser - mechanical shifting.

I've convinced myself I need to be 5-10mm lower and I can go from the 25mm to the 15mm riser but the process is a bit more complex than I had originally imagined. The barrel end stop on the end of the shifter cables keeps you from getting the bar end shifters out of the way and sliding the mono bar forward. So that means taking the inner cable all the way out with the risk that the cable housings will go astray inside the frame. My LBS has graciously offered to do all this for about $100 bucks - discounted from the normal $250 but I would like to become more adept at doing these things. I've had the mono bar and base bar loose to do some adjusting so that part is pretty straight forward, it's just the shifter cables I'm concerned about.

Any experience / tips / tricks for this procedure or just stick with my LBS?

When you pull the cables out, you should be able to leave the housing sticking out of the headtube of the frame, just keep pressure downward so they stay in the fittings on your BB.

My advice would be to loosen your cables at the derailleurs though - then you would have more movement from the base and mono bar.

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
tri@thlete wrote:
Hi Mitch - Where can I get a Trek SC Gen 2 Mono Extension Plug in the UK (or US)? I can't find them anywhere! I want to try some different aero extensions.


Thanks - Joe


Hey Joe, unfortunately those are out of stock for the UK and EU warehouses - possibly a replacement will be arriving in the future!

That sounds intriguing - new toys on the way?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I attempted to do a rear brake pad adjustment because my rear brakes were not compressing the brake track symmetrically. The black ring (plastic) broke while repositioning a brake pad. This is the ring that angles the pad. Where can I find another one of these rings? It seems these are proprietary bontrager, so I can’t swap it out from another brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mitch!

Any updates here? Looking for this part! :)

Thanks - Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri@thlete wrote:
Hi Mitch!

Any updates here? Looking for this part! :)

Thanks - Joe

Hey Joe, nothing yet!

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
I attempted to do a rear brake pad adjustment because my rear brakes were not compressing the brake track symmetrically. The black ring (plastic) broke while repositioning a brake pad. This is the ring that angles the pad. Where can I find another one of these rings? It seems these are proprietary bontrager, so I can’t swap it out from another brake.


Those washers are not individually replaceable, but you can order a new pad holder which should work! Part number W507767

Community Manager | Trek Bikes | http://www.trekbikes.com
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Jun 27, 19 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Mitch will repost here

Mitch just in regards to the mono plug in extension- I noticed that it has 3 holes running along the top each side for the arm cups/wing pad. The s-bends i use have the standard 4 holes. I also use the 4th hole to put wing/pads on (hole that is furtherest away from the body, towards the extensions). As a result, does this mean the mono would not work as it seems shorter? I have the s-bend bar just shy all the way forward but have hardly any room to go further forward. The arm cups are are in the middle of the wing. I have attached a pic, i hope it works. I want to try different bars, something like a zipp with 70mm rise, but im hesitant that i might not be able to get my pads in the right position (ie, quite forward) since the mono doesnt have as much length?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Sorry Mitch will repost here

Mitch just in regards to the mono plug in extension- I noticed that it has 3 holes running along the top each side for the arm cups/wing pad. The s-bends i use have the standard 4 holes. I also use the 4th hole to put wing/pads on (hole that is furtherest away from the body, towards the extensions). As a result, does this mean the mono would not work as it seems shorter? I have the s-bend bar just shy all the way forward but have hardly any room to go further forward. The arm cups are are in the middle of the wing. I have attached a pic, i hope it works. I want to try different bars, something like a zipp with 70mm rise, but im hesitant that i might not be able to get my pads in the right position (ie, quite forward) since the mono doesnt have as much length?

Not the official response and obviously do this at your own risk, but you can run the bolt assembly backwards with the limit screw in the front which will basically give you the same pad x length you would have with the 4th hole. I would not be worried about the forces exerted on the limit assembly if you have the limit screw screwed in to touch the riser assembly, as if you are running on the furthest pad screw (3rd hole) you are compressing the limit screw so the forces are balanced well. Make sure the bolts are torqued to spec. However, if you do this and run the pads in a different hole (say nearest 1st pad hole) I would be more concerned as the limit screw is taking no force and you might experience a failure of the bolts, not good. Imo having the limit screw taking some of the load in the event of say hitting a small pothole would theoretically be better as the bolt assembly will have a less likelihood of failure, as your bolts are not going to experience maximum tension forces (lower moment of rear bolt). Again, do this at your own risk.

I got much more reach through this method and it has worked well for me. Obviously trek will say to go by the speed concept user manual so you can decide what you want to do. Alternatively you could try to find a different pad combo like the zipp pads (which is what I run) that give you more surface area and are imo far superior to the stock trek pad/cradle combo. That would also give you a few mm more and should allow you to run a similar pad location.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to Aid.dre.an response I discussed some of this on this thread at post number 9278:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6807428#p6807428

I also talk about the mono plug in vs the mono extensions on post number 9273:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6807292#p6807292
Last edited by: teddygram: Jul 4, 19 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers for that guys - my limit screw is set and unfortunately rounded out- I have been able to move the bar forward and back despite this and have Had no issues with the bolts holding firm. Touch wood. I should prob get another limit screw

Edit: I should be able to reverse pad wing and move pads forward I rekon I could hit required length but not a lot of room to spare
Last edited by: IamSpartacus: Jul 4, 19 23:37
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:
Not a comment directly for you green....

But has anyone changed the aerobars from s bend to ski jump or vice versa? Anyone seen or heard of data one way or the other? I ha w the s bend but have a slight tilt up. I often wonder if I had originally got the ski jumps a with a tilt I might have been able to hide behind my hands a bit more

Here is what the mono looks like using Zipp 70 Evo's - the grub screw is close to maxed out and its on the "high" shoulder of the spacer. I am not sure what angle this is, Evo 110 make it even more dramatic.


These are great pics teddy I have been pondering the set up for a while, and coincidently the zipp 70. If I move my wing back one hole to the third on my mono, and my pads forward to the very last set of pad holes I’m shy about 0.5cm from it’s orginal fit. So factoring In a reversed pad wing I should be able to do this. Can I ask or see how the cables or di2 wires go through the zipp bars and through to the plug in if possible? I like how the mono works with hidden cabling and am curious to see if it’s the same effect with the seperate bars? My set up is di2 but I assume the same.

Also is there a a part kit for the cradle and bolts including grub screw if possible? Thanks heaps all
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure can, please allow me to post it on Monday as I’m away for the holiday.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a problem!
I’m just hoping the cabling is clean like the normal mono.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is how mine looks like, junction box is hidden in extension:



Last edited by: Ksavostin: Jul 7, 19 1:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow how did you get the junction box in there?

It seems as though the wires an either pass through the two holes in the front of the plug-in (but it looks like they need to be taped to the bar so they dont 'flap around' or look untidy....or can pass through the rear of the aerobar itself down into the stem area (so better cut the length right) correct?

thanks for the pics, these are helpful
edit: do the speedshop bars have an exit point on the aerobar or did you drill a small hol in that area to allow the wire to come out? because its very conveniently placed lol
Last edited by: IamSpartacus: Jul 7, 19 2:46
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
wow how did you get the junction box in there?

It seems as though the wires an either pass through the two holes in the front of the plug-in (but it looks like they need to be taped to the bar so they dont 'flap around' or look untidy....or can pass through the rear of the aerobar itself down into the stem area (so better cut the length right) correct?

thanks for the pics, these are helpful
edit: do the speedshop bars have an exit point on the aerobar or did you drill a small hol in that area to allow the wire to come out? because its very conveniently placed lol

There are enough of room to put junction box rs910 into speedshop bars.
Yes, I drilled this little hole.


Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have D2Z extensions, but had to sand them inside a bit in order to fit rs910 junction in it.


Last edited by: Ksavostin: Jul 7, 19 3:55
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh ok, i have the larger 5 port junction box on the stem.

my first world worry is the wires leaving the back of the aerobars and going down into the stem will look untidy and shite compared to the monobar which goes right underneath the actual bar.

Im envious of your set-up, super clean.

I have the carbon zipp vuka evo 70 coming to me this week.
Quote Reply

Prev Next