Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the best way to prevent the handlebars coming loose?

There are only 2 bolts to tighten for the handlebars. But after a few rides I always have to retighten them again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed the same thing as well! After a long ride they start to come loose. Thankfully I am on an indoor trainer, if I was outside or in a race I would be off the road and in the ditch.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:
What is the best way to prevent the handlebars coming loose?

There are only 2 bolts to tighten for the handlebars. But after a few rides I always have to retighten them again.

Remove your handlebar hardware and apply Loctite 242 to the threads. This will help prevent them from loosening up over the course of a ride. Also make sure you are using the proper torque when tightening the hardware.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes

@mitchmathewz on IG & Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:
What is the best way to prevent the handlebars coming loose?

There are only 2 bolts to tighten for the handlebars. But after a few rides I always have to retighten them again.


If you are torquing the bolts to spec and applying loctite on the bolts than you are having an issue with the stem not being fully seated and while riding the jarring/bumps plus your weight is causing the stem to seat further on the steer stub.

You must be certain that the stem is all the way seated or you will continue to have the issue until it bottoms out on its own and you have re-torqued the bolts again.

I didn't recommend it or mention it but I generally remove the stem bolt and open the groove with a flat head, I then use a piece of wood under the fork drop outs and genitally hit the steam with a dead blow hammer (or Rubber mallet) to ensure it is seated as low as possible.
Last edited by: teddygram: Apr 13, 20 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:
What is the best way to prevent the handlebars coming loose?

There are only 2 bolts to tighten for the handlebars. But after a few rides I always have to retighten them again.

Like mentioned, I also had to use loctite to keep the bolts from falling out. I don't think that's good product performance to have to resort to that, but it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New speed concept since 2 weeks. Stores closed due to lockdown.

When using the rear brake, the pads remain against the wheel. I think the wedge remains stuck between the break arms, preventing the pads to reopen again.

Is there a quick solution?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check if you have correct brake cable. In speed concept the brake cable should come from MTB - big head (https://bikecenter.pl/...hl-sus-bre_64094.jpg), not from the road bike (https://www.bike-components.de/...3789-1507544443.jpeg).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
I didn't recommend it or mention it but I generally remove the stem bolt and open the groove with a flat head, I then use a piece of wood under the fork drop outs and genitally hit the steam with a dead blow hammer (or Rubber mallet) to ensure it is seated as low as possible.

Hopefully you are not genitally hitting, that just would be a little painful :-p
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
teddygram wrote:
I didn't recommend it or mention it but I generally remove the stem bolt and open the groove with a flat head, I then use a piece of wood under the fork drop outs and genitally hit the steam with a dead blow hammer (or Rubber mallet) to ensure it is seated as low as possible.

Hopefully you are not genitally hitting, that just would be a little painful :-p

HA!

iPhone got me on that one - “gently and stem”
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek or anyone else

I'd like the service manual for Di2 on the Speed Concept. All of the links I have found through Google are broken. I'd like to read the process of hiding the 5 port Box A.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Clivus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clivus wrote:
Mitch@Trek or anyone else

I'd like the service manual for Di2 on the Speed Concept. All of the links I have found through Google are broken. I'd like to read the process of hiding the 5 port Box A.

Drop me a DM with your email.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes

@mitchmathewz on IG & Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Clivus wrote:
Mitch@Trek or anyone else

I'd like the service manual for Di2 on the Speed Concept. All of the links I have found through Google are broken. I'd like to read the process of hiding the 5 port Box A.


Drop me a DM with your email.

Sent on instagram.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Clivus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone wanting to touch up the paint on their greenish grey 7.5 -> Humbrol enamel gloss #40. As far as I can see as perfect match as one can hope to find.
Last edited by: Gixxerfast: Apr 25, 20 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Gixxerfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still trying to find a paint that remotely matches the Radioactive Pink and Radioactive Yellow. I think yellow some of the florencent yellows may be close, but the pink cannot appear to find something.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stuart716] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Stuart,

Do you have a plate with your Torpedo or just the bottle?

We have a couple different methods available for Trek users and computers.

Let me know if I can help and sorry for the delay. Been out of the office for a month and have not had chance to check slowtwitch until today.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a SC a few weeks back and Im very happy :-) i had a 7.5 series way back when they launched around 2010 for a few years and set my fastest bike splits at 70.3 on it (helps i had no kids and trained heaps), then I had a p3c 2013-2020 that I was happy on till I broke the frame a month ago.

Trek really has thought of everything on this bike the whole set up is excellent, I found adjusting the front end really straight forward also. A big noticeable improvement is how this rides hills and not in aero, I can get into a more road bike type feel that I couldn't in the p3c with long and low design. I rode a mates canyon also before this purchase and it wasnt far away from the SC but it had external brakes the front end wasn’t as aero and refined, but it was pretty cool too.

One thing I found bike hunting was that you need to spend up to get a fast front end, a lot of bikes are fitted fairly poorly up front.

Happy I got the SC.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Clivus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in process of fitting Di2 onto my Gen1 Speed Concept.

A bit of filing down (well quite a lot) and I fitted Di2 junction box into aero bar end. Four port junction under stem cover, a 2nd four port just inside from behind stem and 3 at bottom bracket. Manage to hide all cables, junctions and battery inside seatpost.

The wires on bars are now held in place by carbon look tape so looking a lot better than my temporary measure in photo.



Romero Performance Training Plans - Developed with Olympic Gold Medallist Rebecca Romero
http://www.rebeccaromero.co.uk/trainingplans/
Last edited by: nicklloyd: May 5, 20 4:17
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pkeys00 wrote:
I have noticed the same thing as well! After a long ride they start to come loose. Thankfully I am on an indoor trainer, if I was outside or in a race I would be off the road and in the ditch.


Thanks for this as I’ve just built up a second hand one of these recently and had the same problems. As an engineer, it looks to me like there are slight tolerance build up issues in the overall assembly that then allows flex of the stem and then causes the bolts to relieve over time. I best add the loctite Mitch recommenced.

By the way, do people find the base bar/stem combo a bit flexy ? I’m coming from my old nosecone shiv which was rock solid but I’m finding the base bar assembly of the Trek doesn’t feel very stiff. Anyone got any thoughts on this ?
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: May 8, 20 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I upgraded to Ultegra 8k Di2 on my 2014 SC and noticed that the wire that goes into the front derailleur swings out of the frame and rubs against the rear wheel.

Is there a simple solution for this besides trying to tape it down?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I upgraded to Ultegra 8k Di2 on my 2014 SC and noticed that the wire that goes into the front derailleur swings out of the frame and rubs against the rear wheel.

Is there a simple solution for this besides trying to tape it down?

Could you upload a photo of how it is routed?

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes

@mitchmathewz on IG & Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I upgraded to Ultegra 8k Di2 on my 2014 SC and noticed that the wire that goes into the front derailleur swings out of the frame and rubs against the rear wheel.

Is there a simple solution for this besides trying to tape it down?

Here is a pic of mine, doesn't touch rear wheel when it is in the bike. Maybe your wire needs to be twisted a little to keep from bowing out?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I upgraded to Ultegra 8k Di2 on my 2014 SC and noticed that the wire that goes into the front derailleur swings out of the frame and rubs against the rear wheel.

Is there a simple solution for this besides trying to tape it down?


Could you upload a photo of how it is routed?

My bike is on the no-wheel trainer right now but the pic that SBR sent (just 2 posts up) is very accurate to how it looks on my bike but the wire jets out further and touches the side of my rear wheel. I've tried 'pushing' the wire into the frame to make it tighter but its already pretty set. I tried taping it down on my ride Saturday and as you can assume, the tape came off because dirt/dust getting thrown into it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I upgraded to Ultegra 8k Di2 on my 2014 SC and noticed that the wire that goes into the front derailleur swings out of the frame and rubs against the rear wheel.

Is there a simple solution for this besides trying to tape it down?


Could you upload a photo of how it is routed?


My bike is on the no-wheel trainer right now but the pic that SBR sent (just 2 posts up) is very accurate to how it looks on my bike but the wire jets out further and touches the side of my rear wheel. I've tried 'pushing' the wire into the frame to make it tighter but its already pretty set. I tried taping it down on my ride Saturday and as you can assume, the tape came off because dirt/dust getting thrown into it.

You may have excess wiring then or your wires shifted in the frame causing it to push out the FD hole. I would pull on the wire from further up in the frame instead of pushing it back in.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes

@mitchmathewz on IG & Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Clivus wrote:
Mitch@Trek or anyone else

I'd like the service manual for Di2 on the Speed Concept. All of the links I have found through Google are broken. I'd like to read the process of hiding the 5 port Box A.


Drop me a DM with your email.
I'm putting together a parts list for a conversion of a stock 2020 SC. I wanted to check to make sure I have this right. The parts lists in this thread are older, so I wanted to make sure. I have read that I can use synchroshift one button shifting with the 2 button shifters and make one side control the Garmin head unit screens. I don't think I need any speed fin conversion, but I wanted to check that too.

RD-R8050-SSRear Derailleur short cage. FD-R8050Front derailleur braze onST-R8060-RTT Dual Control lever Rim Brake SLR-EVSW-R6712 button aero bar shifterDN110Internal batteryEW-WU111Etube Wireless JunctionSM EW90B5 port junction box AJC41internal junctionSM-BCR2Internal battery chargerW332400Trek Internal seatpost battery mountW317292Trek rear derailleur grommetwires1x 1200mm; 3x 800mm; 1x 600mm; 3x 400mm
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Have put the bearings back in the BB after removing the FSA crankset inserted for a race popped them out. Tore down the bearings, degreased and lubed with light oil. Too much time on my hands on a rainy Saturday...

The bearings are now pressed back in, but I'm wondering about the bearing shields (the orange rubber/steel bit that sits between the bearing and crankset). One is fit only for the bin.

So, question is: is the bearing shield necessary? It's not exactly a frequently used bike - gets ridden only in a race week, and replacing the bearings isn't that much of a killer, so durability of the bearings is not a high priority. Can the crankset (now a Hollowtech2 one) go back on without the shield, using the shimano BB bearing spacers?

TIA
Quote Reply

Prev Next