Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Onion bhaji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you plan on doing a lot of climbing with a SC? Most triathletes could care less about weight. Aero is way more important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Onion bhaji wrote:
Why is the speed concept so heavy? I have a 2018 SC and the thing weighs a ton.

I’ve owned a cervelo p2, giant trinity advanced, s works shiv tt, a bianchi and this is the heaviest bike I’ve owned.

Any tips for reducing weight? And I mean tangible changes that I’ll notice.

Thanks

Weight was never a huge concern with an aero bike - in fact, a heavier frame is less likely to sway in crosswinds.

If you're looking to cut weight, you can change things like your saddle, wheels and drivetrain to lighter alternatives. Dura Ace mechanical, a pair of Bontrager XXX wheels, and a Bontrager Hilo Pro saddle come to mind on a recent Speed Concept I built up. It's no Emonda SLR weight spec, but it is lighter than a base model and very fast!

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently discovered there is a carbon seat post available for the SC which begs the question why wasn't it included as standard. Left me wondering what other corners have been cut adding further weight to the bike. Just doesn't reflect well.

Those saying weight doesn't matter aero is more important. Not sure what aero has to do with the weight, the two are not mutually exclusive. You can be light and aero at the same time.

Additionally when you are going at your absolute limit on a tight undualting, multi lap course I can 100% guarantee weight will make a difference. Yeah the bike goes fast when up to speed but getting up to speed takes a little longer, especially with multiple 180 degree turnarounds.

The wheels, saddle, and crankset have all been changed on mine. Still weighs a ton. I even swapped out the stock stem which was also heavy.
Last edited by: Onion bhaji: Feb 10, 20 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The carbon post was offered when we had the 9 series model. But we kept it in stock and now spec it with our Project One models, just not the factory model - which has the 7 series alloy post.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Onion bhaji wrote:
I recently discovered there is a carbon seat post available for the SC which begs the question why wasn't it included as standard. Left me wondering what other corners have been cut adding further weight to the bike. Just doesn't reflect well.

Those saying weight doesn't matter aero is more important. Not sure what aero has to do with the weight, the two are not mutually exclusive. You can be light and aero at the same time.

Additionally when you are going at your absolute limit on a tight undualting, multi lap course I can 100% guarantee weight will make a difference. Yeah the bike goes fast when up to speed but getting up to speed takes a little longer, especially with multiple 180 degree turnarounds.

The wheels, saddle, and crankset have all been changed on mine. Still weighs a ton. I even swapped out the stock stem which was also heavy.

Sure weight makes a difference, but its likely smaller than you think. There are (were?) some good websites that allowed you to plug in numbers to see what real world diffs would be, for, for example, lighter wheels, etc. The differences are very very small when comparing different weights.

All that said, I've never before heard of the SC being described as a heavy tri bike. Compared to a road bike? Sure. But as a tri bike, its lighter than a lot of other top end models, like the Felt IA series, cervelo beam bikes, etc.
Here is a chart pt out by QR that shows the trek SC in there as pretty darn competitive. I previously owned a Felt IA which was way heavier, and I never felt the weight slowed me down. On a very hilly mont tremblant bike course, my fastest bike split is actually on the Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a Project 1 SC from my LBS. I have the opportunity to purchase a Enve 7.8 wheelset, but I’ve read on a couple different places that the front wheel might be too wide for the speed concept brake. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Mission Kona Podcast
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2568182
Kona 2024 Qualifier
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [PayneM85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride Enve 7.8 on my SC and they work perfectly fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my Speed Concept! Super excited to get everything setup! A few minor questions that I had and figured you guys would have a quick answer:

1.) Where do you mount your Garmin 945? The setup is different than my old bike so I am a little unsure.

2.) Do they offer a front water mount? I had the XLab Torpedo on my other bike and noticed it won't fit to this bike.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TriHardMatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriHardMatt wrote:
Just got my Speed Concept! Super excited to get everything setup! A few minor questions that I had and figured you guys would have a quick answer:

1.) Where do you mount your Garmin 945? The setup is different than my old bike so I am a little unsure.

2.) Do they offer a front water mount? I had the XLab Torpedo on my other bike and noticed it won't fit to this bike.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
For question 2, yup, they offer a mount that will fit on top of the mono extension, which you can then put a normal cage on. Then you can use any bottle in it you want, including a torpedo. I just use a normal bottle as I hate drinking from a straw....

https://www.trekbikestore.com/...unt-kit-242045-1.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
TriHardMatt wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Matt

For question 2, yup, they offer a mount that will fit on top of the mono extension, which you can then put a normal cage on. Then you can use any bottle in it you want, including a torpedo. I just use a normal bottle as I hate drinking from a straw....

https://www.trekbikestore.com/...unt-kit-242045-1.htm

Thanks for that. When I clicked on that I found this: https://www.trekbikestore.com/...er-cage-242043-1.htm

Looks like this would be perfect. Anyone had any luck? Not sure exactly where it gets installed though.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TriHardMatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, but you are paying an extra $60+ for their specific bottle cage, which might be worth it if you want to use that top mount piece which I assume is for a garmin head unit (not sure if a 945 will go on it?)...
I'm happy just using a $15 bottle cage on it, and I wear my garmin on my wrist.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the easiest link to purchase different Sped Concept aerobar parts? Risers, extensions and what not. Thank whomever answers.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use local Trek store. Price is the same and you get exactly what you need. There are some parts you can only get through them too.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
http://www.endureiq.com
Last edited by: timr: Feb 14, 20 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you need. I have lots of spare parts

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
What is the easiest link to purchase different Sped Concept aerobar parts? Risers, extensions and what not. Thank whomever answers.

Your local Trek dealer is the best resource since these parts we do not list online.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Just came in today, my first bike since college, cough, late 90’s...newbie here. Thought I’d share a picture. Can’t wait to train and start riding.
Last edited by: Oaktree: Feb 18, 20 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Oaktree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Approve of your color choice, just like mine. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Oaktree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks sharp! I've always been a fan of the high vis colors.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is anyone running continuous housing all the way back to the rear derailleur. Just not using the cable stop under the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And does anyone have a pic of the front brake cable stop set up on a 2020 ? It's different from my 2014 frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all. Will HED 6+ wheels with 25mm tires fit on a Speed Concept from a clearance perspective? I know the wheels push a bit wider on the HEDs so wanted to ask.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [icabob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I run on the rear. It’s fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Flanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flanders wrote:
And does anyone have a pic of the front brake cable stop set up on a 2020 ? It's different from my 2014 frame.

Are you running the integrated cockpit? The '14 and '20 would share the same setup. Drop me a DM with your email and I can send you some documents.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking for the Trek Instructions on how to install di2 on a speed concept. Everywhere I turn on the interweb seems it has been taken down. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
I am looking for the Trek Instructions on how to install di2 on a speed concept. Everywhere I turn on the interweb seems it has been taken down. Thanks!

I'll attach some helpful photos for you. Basically, you'll mount your junction box to the stem cover by doing the following:
  1. Take the stem cover off
  2. Drill out the indentations marked for Di2
  3. Mount as shown in photo. 2 cable ties.

Then you can move to running your wires connecting to the shifters to junction and derailleurs+battery to junction. You will need part number listed in the image as well (W332400, W317292, and W327327). The routing itself is fairly simple, but to get the wires through the basebar, you can use a cable or housing with the wire taped to it to help push it through to the opening depending on where you place your buttons.

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Feb 28, 20 11:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next